As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft revises Xbox 360 Warranty

• Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Allforce wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    Hey Red do you have any information on "unreadable disc" errors that are sometimes seen? Is that just a dvd drive issue or something else? I get them at the most random times, it won't read any games for 20 minutes and then POOF it'll start right up and go for weeks or months without a problem.

You mean the "Please put this disk in an xbox360 console" type error?

Ive gotten that a couple times on my home boxes.

Means one of 4 things:

Wrong game region disk
    Dirty disk
    Dirty lens
    drive on its way out

Usually my disk/lens is just dirty. If you have one of those CD lens cleaner things, try that next time it happens.

No mine is the phrase "Unreadable Disc" where the name of the game usually is on the little drive tray on the dashboard. Don't know if that's any different.

Sounds like your DVD drive might be dying, this is what my first one started doing before the drive completely failed.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    It could also be your video cables, so try readjusting that.

My first 360 went from green, to purple, to pink. Then finally, it froze with a fruity checkerboard design.

But did you ever get the Red Rings? Specifically?

Because, see - that type of failure is covered.

Try another AV cable if you (or a friend) has one.

If you call in for a warranty repair and say you have those color issues and/or checkerboard and that its not the AV cable (and it can be replicated at the repair facility) then im sure you can talk them into qualifying that under the 3year.

Or I could just leave Gears of War on all day and night till it bites the dust. Probably won't take long, if other stories are any indication.

But yeah, I think I have another av cable, I'll try that. Not likely to be the cable though.

FatmanGames on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey Red do you have any information on "unreadable disc" errors that are sometimes seen? Is that just a dvd drive issue or something else? I get them at the most random times, it won't read any games for 20 minutes and then POOF it'll start right up and go for weeks or months without a problem.

You mean the "Please put this disk in an xbox360 console" type error?

Ive gotten that a couple times on my home boxes.

Means one of 4 things:

Wrong game region disk
    Dirty disk
    Dirty lens
    drive on its way out

Usually my disk/lens is just dirty. If you have one of those CD lens cleaner things, try that next time it happens.

No mine is the phrase "Unreadable Disc" where the name of the game usually is on the little drive tray on the dashboard. Don't know if that's any different.

I had a console with that error come across my desk the other day. In that case it turned out that the game disk itself was bad (kameo to be exact). Does it only happen with one game? If so it was probably just a bad disk press. Is it scratched?

Before trying anything, get a lens cleaner for it.

If you bought it recently, take it back and get it exchaged for another one. Faulty presses/burns are actually pretty common for games but the stores make it easy to exchange.
    If its a microsoft game studios game, MS will replace it for free, even if its an older game.

Strangely enough, its ALL games. And like I said, only twice has this happened in the last 5-6 months. Every game I popped in, "Unreadable Disc". Guitar Hero, Gears, Rainbow Six, Tiger Woods, anything. It was like the drive wasn't spinning up. Both times I just let it be for awhile, popped in a game 20 minutes later and it fired right up.

Not that big a deal, just curious. I'm under warranty anyways and unlike some I won't die if my console has to take a vacation to Mexico for a week.

Allforce on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm...strange. Did the drive not move at all. Or was it moving first then stopping. If it was moving then stopping then it's probably the lens. If not...then hmm, it may be the DVD-drive.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ash, you'll also have to pay for electricity bills. The 360 requires electricity you see.

20030825h.gif

Evander on
  • Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ash, you'll also have to pay for electricity bills. The 360 requires electricity you see.
    You see, that's where they get you.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man...I've forgotten about so many of the classic PA strips...I should really start saving them to my computer.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...strange. Did the drive not move at all. Or was it moving first then stopping. If it was moving then stopping then it's probably the lens. If not...then hmm, it may be the DVD-drive.

This about sums it up. Makes a WHIIRRRR sound, gets quiet, Unplayable Disc. When it starts up I get that WHIRRRR, then the disc starts spinning.

I'll run a disc cleaner through it next time it happens.

Allforce on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

This about sums it up. Makes a WHIIRRRR sound, gets quiet, Unplayable Disc. When it starts up I get that WHIRRRR, then the disc starts spinning.

Have you tried it in both vertical and horizontal position?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Have you tried it in both vertical and horizontal position?

Yeah actually, and that solved the problem one of the times. I moved it to a vertical position and the game started right up.

So it's probably my drive going bad, but like I said, it's rare so I'm not worried about it. Now watch it be completely shot when I fire it up at work in an hour. :P

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey Big Red,

While we've got you in this thread, do you have any idea of any possible way I might be able to use my Duke controller from my old xbox on my 360? Is there any chance of MSoft coming out with a larger 360 controller.

Microsoft was the only company to actually make a controller that fit my hands comfortably, without them getting cramped up from tiny controllers. The move to the s controller, and subsequent s sized 360 controllers feels like a bit of a betrayal. Giant-handed gamers need love too.

For the record, I am 100% serious, and not teasing. my hand is 8 inches wrist to tip, with a span of ten inches thumb to pinky.

This is in front of the 15 inch monitor on my work laptop. Hand is touching the screen in both instances:
    img088xh3.jpg
    img089kj0.jpg

So, where's the love?

P.S. If you want to pass this along to anyone else up there (with or without the photos) feel free. Anything to further the cause.

Also, if it comes up, I'm willing to work as a hand model for small electronics, to emphasize their smallness.

Evander on
  • Options
    FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Anyone want a peanut?

Dude, this is likely some work, but maybe doable from a DIY perspective. You'll likely need a sacrificial 360 controller AND a Duke you're willing to risk.

Most things I see on the net have to do with creating "arcade sticks" for the 360. They do this by taking apart a 360 controller and soldering the joystick wires to the solder pads on the 360 pad. I'm willing to bet that a similar process would work with Duke / 360.

FatmanGames on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey Big Red,

While we've got you in this thread, do you have any idea of any possible way I might be able to use my Duke controller from my old xbox on my 360? Is there any chance of MSoft coming out with a larger 360 controller.

Microsoft was the only company to actually make a controller that fit my hands comfortably, without them getting cramped up from tiny controllers. The move to the s controller, and subsequent s sized 360 controllers feels like a bit of a betrayal. Giant-handed gamers need love too.

For the record, I am 100% serious, and not teasing. my hand is 8 inches wrist to tip, with a span of ten inches thumb to pinky.

This is in front of the 15 inch monitor on my work laptop. Hand is touching the screen in both instances:
    img088xh3.jpg
    img089kj0.jpg

So, where's the love?

P.S. If you want to pass this along to anyone else up there (with or without the photos) feel free. Anything to further the cause.

Also, if it comes up, I'm willing to work as a hand model for small electronics, to emphasize their smallness.

I KNOW!
    I loved the duke (hands are 9" from wrist to tip, im a large guy).

if you get a USB adapter for the v1 controllers it might work. I will actually try this when I get home today becuase I still use a duke + usb adapter for a PC controller for racing games.

The only thing technically wrong with that will be the white/black buttons on the v1 controller became the shoulder buttons on the 360 controller. So some games might be weird to play. but ill see if the 360 will see the v1 controller later today.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Oh, come on.

Microsoft may be known for some questionable business practices at times, but how often do they go about actively screwing over the consumers?

If you react to this by claiming thatthe problem must have been more widespread than we were led to believe, then I'd LOVE to see the spin you would put on the Live Search Club give-aways.

I don't even know what The Live Search Club Give-aways are so I can't comment on that.

Let me put it this way, Microsoft would always zip up whenver asked about the 360's problems or give some preprogrammed response, verbatim. Something to the effect of we "we stand behind our product yada yada". Downplaying the situation as not that serious. If this had actually been the case then Microsoft could have gone on dealing with it as they had been since the get-go.

I'm not saying that they deilberately launched a faulty system so that they could do a complete 180 over a year and a half later and come out smelling like roses and boosting sales. Not only would the chances of such a strategy going abyssmally wrong be astronimical, but it's probably ridiculously illegal to boot.
    I am saying that the way things have played out looks really good on Microsoft. I still think the problem must have been reaaally bad for Microsft to offer such a resolution. If it wasn't, they could have just dealt with a class action and gotten off virtually scott free. I believe they're just covering they're own ass. Just my opinion, and I'm generally a very pessimistic guy.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander, are those tabs behind your massive hand? If so, how do you get them to stack?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander my hand is a little bigger than yours.

h5

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey Big Red,

img088xh3.jpg
    img089kj0.jpg

So, where's the love?

I KNOW!
    I loved the duke (hands are 9" from wrist to tip, im a large guy).

if you get a USB adapter for the v1 controllers it might work. I will actually try this when I get home today becuase I still use a duke + usb adapter for a PC controller for racing games.

The only thing technically wrong with that will be the white/black buttons on the v1 controller became the shoulder buttons on the 360 controller. So some games might be weird to play. but ill see if the 360 will see the v1 controller later today.

haven't tried this yet myself (Ito have the adapter for PC use) but Iwas told it wouldn't work because the 360 requires plug and play devices to have some special bit of coding to say that they are approved for use, and old perrifferals don't have this.

@Fatman: As for modding the controller, I would LOVE to mod a Duke into a wireless 360 controller, even redoing the Jewel to act as a giant home button. The thing is, I have ABSOLUTELY zero skill in this area, and I would simply destroy the controller. I DO NOT want to destroy a Duke needlessly, that would be a crime against the universe.

@Mutton: http://club.live.com I just ordered my Vista this morning, and nor I'm saving up for a Zune to replace my broken iPod.

As far as them clamming up about issues, etc., they did EXACTLY what any other company would do in this situation. You don't make public statements before actually looking into the issue. You really seem to be confusing cause and effect here. The problem isn't what got bad; the press is. It's a major isssue with a minority of consoles. MSoft started getting A LOT of bad press over it, as the media blew the issue out of proportion, so they responded. They could have issued a massive recall, which would be a logistical nightmare, and leave issues of people who ignored the recall, but had a system failure later, not to mention the fact that most of the systems out there that they would be taking in would NEVER have this problem anyway. Instead they did something that is mostly unheard of, and took responsibility by extending the warranty. This allows them to stagger the repairs, as well as to only have to repair the consoles that ACTUALLY have issues, not having to take in all of the systems that will never have problems.

Anytime you are considering a recall you look at cost/benefits. What MSoft has done here is provided both the consumers and themselves with added benefits, for no cost to consumers, and nominal cost to themselves.

In recent years murder rates have gone down, but the general individual will tell you that they are on the rise instead because rates of media coverage of murder have gone up. Just because the media reports on something a lot doesn't mean its widespread. Were this a widespread problem, there likely WOULD be a recall, not just a warranty extension.

@Nailbunny: How do I get stacked tabs? By using a superior browser. :P

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I like to think that by using Firefox, I am using a superior browser. But my tabs scroll off the side. :|

edit: I found the option. Yay.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I like to think that by using Firefox, I am using a superior browser. But my tabs scroll off the side. :|

edit: I found the option. Yay.

FireFox?

HA!

I laugh at your browser.

Evander on
  • Options
    RowdieRowdie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Great, but just as important is making sure new consoles don' t suffer the same defect rate.

Rowdie on
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    @ Evander
    ...Instead they did something that is mostly unheard of, and took responsibility by extending the warranty

It's because it's mostly unheard of (or in my own words "unprecedented") that made me think there was more to it than there appears. Like I said, I'm generally a pessimistic guy but now I'm afraid I'm coming off as some kinda conspiracy theorist. It's nice to see that you're coming back with legitimate, logical arguments. I expected i'd probably get some "STFU Noob!" from people.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rowdie wrote: »
    Great, but just as important is making sure new consoles don' t suffer the same defect rate.

But the warranty is the solution. O_o

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2007
    I have come to the conclusion that people didn't read the letter.

It explicitly states they addressed the hardware flaw. AND they are giving a warranty.

See? both things!

;)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

It explicitly states they addressed the hardware flaw. AND they are giving a warranty.

See? both things!

;)

No, they suggest they have pinpointed the issue and have taken steps to address it.

Keep in mind, they also told us there wasn't a problem prior to this letter.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

See? both things!

;)

I have come to the conclusion people here have no business sense. Do you really think they would extend the warranty to 3 years while continuing to sell faulty products? No, this would guarantee the 360 would NEVER be profitable. The only reason they probably released this warranty update is BECAUSE they have found a permanent solution to the defect so they don't have to continue repairing consoles. Imagine if they just extended the warranty by 3 years but were still replacing 1/3 of every xbox out there. They would be hemorrhaging money. This warranty extension is probably the aftermath of months and months of planning and testing to ensure they have a solution that is both workable and affordable in order to be able to give that warranty.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Because they said something doesn't mean it will actually work. I'm sure they didn't design the first box with a known issue but it happened. Just because they think they have fixed it, doesn't mean they have. Plus the point was also in regards to what of the two parts I viewed as more important.

Nice of people immediately assume you just didn't read or listen to Peter's statement.

Rowdie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Show me, don't tell me.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Because they said something doesn't mean it will actually work. I'm sure they didn't design the first box with a known issue but it happened. Just because they think they have fixed it, doesn't mean they have. Plus the point was also in regards to what of the two parts I viewed as more important.

Nice of people immediately assume you just didn't read or listen to Peter's statement.
    I think most sensible people are assuming that Microsoft likes money and extending the warranty without fixing the problem that caused this whole mess would go directly against Microsoft liking money.

Either they have the fix now or this will kick them into high gear as far as finding the fix. Microsoft is not going to sit on their hands while giving away free consoles for 3 years.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lots of gift horse dentistry in this thread...

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I think most sensible people are assuming that Microsoft likes money and extending the warranty without fixing the problem that caused this whole mess would go directly against Microsoft liking money.

Either they have the fix now or this will kick them into high gear as far as finding the fix. Microsoft is not going to sit on their hands while giving away free consoles for 3 years.

This is the clearest way I have seen it put for everyone who hasn't gotten it yet.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Show me, don't tell me.

Rush fan?

8-)

Their first fix was evidently to add more glue, that didn't seem to cut it. Now they've added more glue and more heat sinks. That might do it, but if Peter is to be believed there's more then one issue. Perhaps getting a new source for the DVD drive was another fix and not just normal bean counter move.

It's going to be fun to learn what the real numbers and reasons were. I'm still kicking it with a launch console so?

Rowdie on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2007
    Show me, don't tell me.

Rush fan?

8-)

Their first fix was evidently to add more glue, that didn't seem to cut it. Now they've added more glue and more heat sinks. That might do it, but if Peter is to be believed there's more then one issue. Perhaps getting a new source for the DVD drive was another fix and not just normal bean counter move.

It's going to be fun to learn what the real numbers and reasons were. I'm still kicking it with a launch console so?
    so?

So you get an extra 1 1/2 years of coverage on it. And if it does go tits up, you can rest assured they will apply the new fix to your machine.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

exactly, i don't know why people insist it's some big conspiracy. Every broken console hurts Microsoft, either financially by fixing or replacing every broken one, or damages their reputation. When talking about games to someone who plays, but doesn't really follow the industry, i was quite surprised to hear him comment on how 360s were meant to be unreliable and broken. The general public is aware that the 360 is an unreliable console, and this is only going to warn them away from purchases.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Of course that makes sense but it assumes 100% competence. If that were the case they wouldn't have been selling so many defective consoles from day one.

I really don't know why you go on about it. I never said they weren't doing everything possible to fix the issue. I only noted that the more important part in my mind was that they did indeed fix the issue(s). It's like BMW people talking about their great mantenance policy. Great so you have a great warranty but that's only part of the issue. I'm just a upset when I have to bring my ride into the shop all the time. I'm still going to get a lexus next time.

Rowdie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You people need to stop arguing with ghost and just deal with what I wrote. Who the hell said anything about a conspiracy?

Here's the point one more time, More importantly then extending the warranty is making sure the new units, and replacements, don't suffer the same defect rate.

Rowdie on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You people need to stop arguing with ghost and just deal with what I wrote. Who the hell said anything about a conspiracy?

Here's the point one more time, More importantly then extending the warranty is making sure the new units, and replacements, don't suffer the same defect rate.

Unfortunately we won't know if they have solved the problem until at least the end of the year. They're not going to go out and say what is causing the issue, they have no motivation to. But people assuming that they're not going to fix the problem and just let the warranty sedate people are deluding themselves. Microsoft hasn't got to where they are by giving people free things.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I imagine the elites, and the new standard ones with HDMI won't be as bustass-prone.
    But then i do have a wild imagination.

What's funny is the original box, apart from the shitty Thomson drive issue, was pretty damn robust. Someone threw mine at the floor like a projectile and nothing happened to it.

good times

Sam on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah the Xbox was built like it was made by Nintendo or something. fucking indestructible.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    @ Evander
    ...Instead they did something that is mostly unheard of, and took responsibility by extending the warranty

It's because it's mostly unheard of (or in my own words "unprecedented") that made me think there was more to it than there appears. Like I said, I'm generally a pessimistic guy but now I'm afraid I'm coming off as some kinda conspiracy theorist. It's nice to see that you're coming back with legitimate, logical arguments. I expected i'd probably get some "STFU Noob!" from people.

I only go STFU Noob when some one is clearly closed minded. You seem open minded enough to actually read my responses, so I am actually responding.

Companies generally do recalls in the cases of widespread issues because it gets the defective products out of the market, and it ends the bad press, not because the company looks good for doing the recall, but because afterthe recall, in theory, the issues are gone.

From the lack of a recall on MSoft's part, we can assume that the cost/benefits that they ran showed the recall to be cost ineffective. Generally, the way you run a cost/benefit for a recall is to compare the cost of doing a recall with the cost of dealling with each individual complaint/negative perception/possible lawsuit settlements. The fact that there is no recall means that the problem is not widespread enough to require it. As much good press as this gets them, it wouldn't be enough good press to cover the fact that they're not pulling systems from shelves, etc., if the problems really WERE that wide-spread.

Normally, in this case, the company in Microsofts shoes would sort of silently do what Microsoft is doing now. Without any official anouncements, they'd start comping repairs to people who were out of warranty, but had this issue. When your cost/benefit shows that it is cost in-effictive, usuallythe LAST thing you want to do is acknowledge the issue.

Compare this to Sony and the PS2 lens issues. It took a class-action lawsuit to get them to even be willing to silently fix things for free.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has come out and accepted responsibility, and no only that, they are going to refund repair fees already paid in. This last bit really is a big deal, because normally a company really would wait until they were taken to court before offering cash, but MSoft is doing it up front.

The signs point to the problem really not being all that wide-spread, because if they were, it would be cheaper to initiatye a re-call, and just swap out units, than to offer free-repairs for three years, AND refund repair fees already paid in.

Are they using this to make some good PR for themselves? Sure. But they're making that good PR by doing something to earn it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Who says they haven't already been doing that? I mean everything I've been hearing about the new heatsink and stuff seems to point in that direction. Think is, even if they are working on it you won't be able to tell how effective it is until a few months later, making any other points moot.

What this warranty does, however, is guarantee that people who may have been given defective consoles before aren't let shit out of luck. And I don't know about you, but I don't like being left shit out of luck. Not to mention it gives them good PR.

I agree, a console should have better standards but really, as person who probably has a good knowledge of tech...is this new to you? Almost everything from computers, phones, TVs, and consoles always come out with some kind of defect or design flaw first-generation. That's because human foresight is limited and we can't see what will happen in the future. That's why we try to fix the crap...and that's what MS has done. Really it seems like they're doing what people wanted to do in the first place but people are still complaining.

I don't know why, I guess once the RROD problem is fixed people won't have anything to complain about anymore...all I can think of. Not saying you, just everything in general.

Dragkonias on