As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft revises Xbox 360 Warranty

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    With all due respect to JCRooks - BigRed: No. You're still coming across as an ubervague internet shillmachine. Honestly, at this point I'm picturing you in a plaid sports jacket with a white belt and a big cowboy hat frantically pumping your arms saying "Trust me, she's a great ship, take her for a spin around the harbor!"

Not trying to rain on your parade, mate, but verifying your authenticity would go a bit of the distance to getting us to buy "no, no, really, these widespread reports aren't widespread at all. I PROMISE." It's especially hard for me to buy this line from you when we've got a near ten percent DOA rate within 30 days across nearly 170 stores in Canada. If just under ten percent of these things are kicking off in the first month I think it stands to reason that these reports are much more accurate than you've been giving them credit for.

I posted my work email before but had to delete it cause I got 30 emails from this damn forum within like 5min.

Whats your email address?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    So Instead of fixing the problem, they issued longer warrenties. Well, I don't think thats the source of the problem but whatever. Still not going to get one unless they fix the probleming causing thing in the first place.

Read the OP and the article linked to it.

EDIT: Fuck. Top of page, and I don't have anything else to contribute.
    Here, have a TMNT emoticon! It's relevant because both turles and the 360 logo are green!

emot-ooze.gif

I read the op. The acknowledged that there was a problem and would be increasing the warrenty and make it free. It still doesn't solve the problem, this is like putting a nice little bandage on a sliced off arm.
    OP wrote:
    To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

Right there. Learn2fuckingreadingcomprehension.

Well until they actually come out and say "We have fixed the problem and we won't be experiencing the failure rate we now do" I still feel its like a bandage.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That would be quite impossible, what with you getting a "free" year of warranty after paying the repair fee.

But how I'm seeing it is, you pay 140$ and get it repaired with a free year of warranty.

It breaks. You send it in for free and get it fixed.

It breaks AGAIN. You now have to pay the $140.00 again, yes? Or at the very least however much it is to get ANOTHER extended warranty previously..

and with that one guy going through 12 or so Xboxes, I could see that being a good chunk of change.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Karrmer wrote: »
    That would be quite impossible, what with you getting a "free" year of warranty after paying the repair fee.

But how I'm seeing it is, you pay 140$ and get it repaired with a free year of warranty.

It breaks AGAIN. You now have to pay the $140.00 again, yes? Or at the very least however much it is to get ANOTHER extended warranty previously..

and with that one guy going through 12 or so Xboxes, I could see that being a good chunk of change.

Not true. They'd cover the second break if it's within that first year. Or the tenth break if it was covered in that first year. And I believe each would reset the repair warranty. The 360 has obvious and chronic issues, but MS has been pretty good about not screwing people over when it breaks.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The console has been out for less than two years. You had to pay to get it fixed. Another year of warranty after the first. When you send it in for repair, you warranty doesn't disappear, it's still there. If your 360 kept breaking when you had less than 3 months left, MS adds another 3 months.

Think about that and what you just said.

Ranced on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    So MS will potentially be paying people a thousand dollars for past repairs? Wow. I wonder how many people will use that cash to buy a PS3? I would.

What kind of idiot would pay a thousand dollars for repairs, when the system itself is only 400 bucks tops?

I, sir, am that idiot!

Okay, I'm not, but someone had to say it.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Um... no?

He was right. Before this if you paid to get it repaired you got a new warranty from that point on, the most someone would have had to pay (and had to of been highly unlucky to have this happen, lol) is $280
    ty (bought in November, it died in feb). He paid to get it repaired. = $140 + another 90day warranty
    Say the console died just after the original 90 day warranty

Shortly after that they extended the warranty (around march/april of 06) so his 90day warranty would still have been good and it got extended to a year so now his warranty is good through November of 06.
    Say it died sometime after that and he had to pay again, thats another $140 + 1year warranty that would last though November of 07 (which is obviously longer now)

if the console would have died anytime during that extended warranty period it would have been serviced under warranty and therefore.. free.
    The most anyone would get back from this is $280, and you had to be pretty unlucky to have things fall into place like that :(

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

Um... no?

He was right. Before this if you paid to get it repaired you got a new warranty from that point on, the most someone would have had to pay (and had to of been highly unlucky to have this happen, lol) is $280
    ty (bought in November, it died in feb). He paid to get it repaired. = $140 + another 90day warranty

Shortly after that they extended the warranty (around march/april of 06) so his 90day warranty would still have been good and it got extended to a year so now his warranty is good through November of 06.
    Say it died sometime after that and he had to pay again, thats another $140 + 1year warranty that would last though November of 07 (which is obviously longer now)

if the console would have died anytime during that extended warranty period it would have been serviced under warranty and therefore.. free.
    The most anyone would get back from this is $280, and you had to be pretty unlucky to have things fall into place like that :(

At any rate, that situation would have occured near launch. That person would have received his/hers reimbursement already, coming from the previous year.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ranced wrote: »

Um... no?

At any rate, that situation would have occured near launch. That person would have received his/hers reimbursement already, coming from the previous year.

Yeah, but people always fall through the cracks and that is just a worst case

BigRed on
  • Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So Instead of fixing the problem, they issued longer warrenties. Well, I don't think thats the source of the problem but whatever. Still not going to get one unless they fix the probleming causing thing in the first place.

Here, have a TMNT emoticon! It's relevant because both turles and the 360 logo are green!

emot-ooze.gif

I read the op. The acknowledged that there was a problem and would be increasing the warrenty and make it free. It still doesn't solve the problem, this is like putting a nice little bandage on a sliced off arm.
    OP wrote:
    To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

Well until they actually come out and say "We have fixed the problem and we won't be experiencing the failure rate we now do" I still feel its like a bandage.

Do you honestly think they're going to spend $1 BILLION on support just to bandage the problem? If they simply continue fixing the problems they will be out another billion in no time. They will have to fix the problem or cost themselves a lot of money supporting consoles that continue to break.

($1 Billion figure from here http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/05/technology/microsoft_charge.reut/index.htm?postversion=2007070518)

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    So MS will potentially be paying people a thousand dollars for past repairs? Wow. I wonder how many people will use that cash to buy a PS3? I would.

What kind of idiot would pay a thousand dollars for repairs, when the system itself is only 400 bucks tops?

I, sir, am that idiot!

Okay, I'm not, but someone had to say it.

It's like repairing a totalled car. It goes againt all fiscal sense.

Incedentally, because of the low price of my car, I get worried when even small ammounts of damageare done to it. I sideswiped a column in my parking garage at work (place is tight as hell, and car damage from it, while not often, is not a huge suprise.) I took it in to get an estimate, and got back the figures of 1.2k-1.3k (depending on whether a particular piece is replaced or repaired.

That is almost 10% of what the car cost new!

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

emot-ooze.gif

OP wrote:

Come on. Just admit that you are drawingyour conclusions before reading the thread,and no matter what you're going to say the same things.

No company would EVER make a statement like that. It would be suicide. Even if they HAVE perfectly fixed the problem, there is always the chance that something else could go wrong, and then they'd be criticized for lying.

Making definitive statements about the future is never a good move.

Evander on
  • Options
    marco_polo9marco_polo9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I read a couple of pages and hadn't seen this yet, but approximately long how does it take to get your xbox back after you have sent it in?

marco_polo9 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I read a couple of pages and hadn't seen this yet, but approximately long how does it take to get your xbox back after you have sent it in?

Mine was delayed and I had it back in 15 days. I believe most people consider 10-12 about normal.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    marco_polo9marco_polo9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

Mine was delayed and I had it back in 15 days. I believe most people consider 10-12 about normal.

K, that's pretty reasonable. (I had a friend's die last night right before we were going to hop on live)

marco_polo9 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, for me, I live in NY, the 360 gets sent to Texas.

It's about 8 days for me, at most, so far.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

In the US, all 360s get sent to McAllen, TX.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

In the US, all 360s get sent to McAllen, TX.

Yes, I know. Just telling the dude to have some sort of measure.

Ranced on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    3 business day shipping to get you the coffin, 3 business day shipping to the repair facility, 5 business day turnaround at the repair facility at most, 3 business day shipping on the way back

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Question: What kind of bear is best?

Real Question: Does this mean I don't have to spend 60 dollars on a warranty if I buy the system? Does this mean when I buy the system from a store, it already has a 3 year warranty?

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Real Question: Does this mean I don't have to spend 60 dollars on a warranty if I buy the system? Does this mean when I buy the system from a store, it already has a 3 year warranty?

No, the warranty is free with every console. 3 year coverage (retroactive) for the red ring of death errors, 1 year coverage for all other failures (ie, the DVD drive).

And as for your first question, there are basically two schools of thought...

Evangir on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That question is irrelevant... there are basically 2 schools of thought.

edit.... wtf beated

IDENTITY THEFT IS A CRIME... MILLIONS OF FAMILIES ARE AFFECTED EVERY YEAR

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

No, the warranty is free with every console. 3 year coverage (retroactive) for the red ring of death errors, 1 year coverage for all other failures (ie, the DVD drive).

And as for your first question, there are basically two schools of thought...

It's $50 for a 2 year warranty extension through MS. I know since I bought one last week before this announcement.

BigRed, can you tell me how my warranty extension is gonna work with this new warranty? Am I covered for 5 years? Just for the 3 red lights or for everything?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That question is irrelevant... there are basically 2 schools of thought.

edit.... wtf beated

IDENTITY THEFT IS A CRIME... MILLIONS OF FAMILIES ARE AFFECTED EVERY YEAR

The concussion episode was probably the best ever.

Especially when he called Pam Pan

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Your extended warranty is added to the normal year of warranty.

The "3 years for red lights" is its own separate thing.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

What he said.

You are basically covered for every problem for 3 years (1year + the 2 year extended) with the 360 and not just the 3 red lights.

BigRed on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What he said.

You are basically covered for every problem for 3 years (1year + the 2 year extended) with the 360 and not just the 3 red lights.

Then he should be covered for 5 years for 3 red lights.
    It doesn't seem right that because of this initiative that his extended warranty is now just an "extra two years on everything that isn't 3 red lights warranty." He paid for two additional years on everything, not everything but 3 red lights.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

What he said.

Yea, more or less.

Too bad they are separate though. This issue is bound to be fixed by then anyhow.

Ranced on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    So its the usual 1 year for everything else that isn't covered under the 3 years? So do I have to shell out $140 if say the DVD drive crashed or something else failed after the 1 year? Will they increase coverage on that as well?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    Damnit. My old one freezes without the red lights--which is also fairly common.

That leads up to the red lights, duder.

It's really not a big deal, just say you did get the three lights even if you haven't yet. I sent out my second 360 under disc drive malfunction and added the three red light error just for good measure a month back.

It's not morally right, but they need to fix up current 360's anyway.

We can tell if it got the 3 red lights before or not.

Please dont try and take advantage of the system.

This makes me laugh.

If microsoft is fixing one problem but not another, people are going to create the red light error through any means so that they can get their console fixed.

As far as 'we can tell', I'm calling bullshit on that also. The first time I sent my first box to the repair center, it was sent back having the exact same problem. The second time, a refurb was immediately sent out. I would be surprised if the guys at the repair center could tell if their heads were stuck in their asses.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So its the usual 1 year for everything else that isn't covered under the 3 years? So do I have to shell out $140 if say the DVD drive crashed or something else failed after the 1 year? Will they increase coverage on that as well?

Probably not, since the DVD drive is nowhere near as chronic or common a problem. And according to BigRed, the DVD drive warranty repair is cheaper ($50 instead of $140).

Evangir on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What he said.

It doesn't seem right that because of this initiative that his extended warranty is now just an "extra two years on everything that isn't 3 red lights warranty." He paid for two additional years on everything, not everything but 3 red lights.

Yea, since the 3 red lights are the primary reason I bought the warranty. Also, the only other likely problem is a DVD drive failure which I read in this thread was only a $50 repair. Why would I buy a $50 warranty that now only covers what would be a $50 repair anyway?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Those problems (DVD drive errors) aren't very common and one year is the standard warranty for those.

The 3 red lights got singled out because it is ridiculously all over the place.

Ranced on
  • Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Probably not, since the DVD drive is nowhere near as chronic or common a problem. And according to BigRed, the DVD drive warranty repair is cheaper ($50 instead of $140).

Maybe BigRed should tell the people at xbox customer service this, as I was told it would be $140 to fix the DVD drive.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lets assume, for a moment, that the new warranties have weakened my resolve and I'm going to be getting a 360 in the near future.

So I'm a little behind the curve with next gen media with the p's and the i' and the large numbers which aren't a power of 2. The television I have all of my gaming machines running to right now is a Zenith from the days when rabbit ears were in vogue. Can anyone point me towards some light reading so I can make an informed decision and end up with a TV that will work well with any consoles I have (nes, snes, ps2) and any that I may end up buying in the not too distant future?

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    gleep-glop wrote: »
    Samphis wrote: »
    Damnit. My old one freezes without the red lights--which is also fairly common.

That leads up to the red lights, duder.

It's really not a big deal, just say you did get the three lights even if you haven't yet. I sent out my second 360 under disc drive malfunction and added the three red light error just for good measure a month back.

It's not morally right, but they need to fix up current 360's anyway.

We can tell if it got the 3 red lights before or not.

Please dont try and take advantage of the system.

This makes me laugh.

If microsoft is fixing one problem but not another, people are going to create the red light error through any means so that they can get their console fixed.

As far as 'we can tell', I'm calling bullshit on that also. The first time I sent my first box to the repair center, it was sent back having the exact same problem. The second time, a refurb was immediately sent out. I would be surprised if the guys at the repair center could tell if their heads were stuck in their asses.

You cant really create the error. Well you can but not without voiding your warranty (opening up box). Even if you run it in a closed box for a long time it will just overheat and do the 3 red lights.

"I would be suprised if the guys at the repair center could tell if their heads were stuck in their asses"

Ugh, you and me both.
    The boxes are fixed in renoysa, MX by people who make $20 a week (granted thats a lot in MX :P), they take their jobs seriously though. They just have a high turnover rate because they take shit seriously and fire employees for too many mistakes, then they gotta train someone new.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    seabass wrote: »
    Lets assume, for a moment, that the new warranties have weakened my resolve and I'm going to be getting a 360 in the near future.

So I'm a little behind the curve with next gen media with the p's and the i' and the large numbers which aren't a power of 2. The television I have all of my gaming machines running to right now is a Zenith from the days when rabbit ears were in vogue. Can anyone point me towards some light reading so I can make an informed decision and end up with a TV that will work well with any consoles I have (nes, snes, ps2) and any that I may end up buying in the not too distant future?

Most any LCD TV will work just fine. They have all the oldschool inputs for old consoles and HD ones for the newer gen consoles.

Westinghouse 720p LCD TV's are pretty cheap if you watch for a sale. I know someone who got a 37" for $500 on a ad/pricematch sale at bestbuy. Screen looks pretty damn good for only $500.

BigRed on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    seabass wrote: »

720p.

You dont need anything more if you get a 360. The 360 can do 1080i, or is it p. Regardless, you wont care and the price difference is ludicrous for the marginal increase in quality.

Get a 26" widescreen TFT monitor and you have HD right there. For much less than a TV. I use a dual monitor setup and when I turn my 360 on the PC stops using both monitors and switches to 1 monitor mode, so its brilliant.

If you get a PS3 you might wanna go for 1080 TV.

Basically, its resolution much like a PC. The higher the number the better the image fidelity, the sharpness and the detail shown on screen. Anything above and including 720 is considered HD. The Wii for example does 480 max.

Really, just google it there are a thousand guides out there. Despite what manufacturers say, look for a TV with good contrast and colour depth, because those matter so much more than resolution. Resolution is a handy number where you can advertise yours as being higher when in fact it makes such a small difference.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    gleep-glop wrote: »

Maybe BigRed should tell the people at xbox customer service this, as I was told it would be $140 to fix the DVD drive.

I will look into it.

BigRed on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2007
    The boxes are fixed in renoysa, MX by people who make $20 a week (granted thats a lot in MX :P), they take their jobs seriously though. They just have a high turnover rate because they take shit seriously and fire employees for too many mistakes, then they gotta train someone new.
    Ummm.... if you really work for Microsoft, you may not want to be saying stuff like this.

Just sayin'.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...