As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I wanna ROCK! (NSF56k/Hscroll)

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scrantonicity is another option

Is that the name of Kevin's Police cover band?

Because if not it should be.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Scrantonicity is another option

Is that the name of Kevin's Police cover band?

Because if not it should be.

yep

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    my band is going to be named Syd Barret and the Fulbourn Crazies (nobody will understand this)

i get it but only because i watched a program on him like yesterday

The Cheese on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Blankspace wrote: »
    I hate anyone who says "Why don't you just learn to play the Guitar?" when I say I love guitar hero.

Hate.

Well...why don't you?

I'm going to try and answer this

it's because playing guitar hero is good, simple, easy fun that doesn't require huge time and emotional investments

whereas actually playing a guitar can be fun at times, more often it's a painful, boring, repetitive and sometimes emotionally bruising experience that you willfully submit yourself because you love (quote unquote) it on a deep level and thus it doesn't have to be "fun" to keep you doing it

It's like saying why play super smash bros when you can learn to fight with a variety of combat styles in real life?

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I toyed with the idea of naming it Uncle Tom and the Reparations

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    my band in GH2 is the Vigo-gos

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Yes.
    I'm getting this so hard.

Nap and I are starting a band, he's going to drum and I'm going to play guitar. But we need to get a couple more members.

The problem with this game is that really playing it will be just like a real band in that you will need friends who aren't flaky and are willing to come over and "practice"

dude

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drag wrote: »
    I hate anyone who says "Why don't you just learn to play the Guitar?" when I say I love guitar hero.

Hate.

Well...why don't you?

it's because playing guitar hero is good, simple, easy fun that doesn't require huge time and emotional investments

whereas actually playing a guitar can be fun at times, more often it's a painful, boring, repetitive and sometimes emotionally bruising experience that you willfully submit yourself because you love (quote unquote) it on a deep level and thus it doesn't have to be "fun" to keep you doing it

It's like saying why play super smash bros when you can learn to fight with a variety of combat styles in real life?

I think Defender is one of the ones who actually knows some fighting styles. Though this is essentially why video games exist. So people can pretend to do things that they cant or dont want to invest the time in, doing themselves. Why play sports games? Just go toss a football! Why play Need For Speed? You can drive around in real life! But yeah, I agree with you man, I greatly dislike people who say that also.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    man I want this game but nobody I know owns a 360 and I have maybe one friend who would agree to play

maybe two

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes.
    I'm getting this so hard.

Nap and I are starting a band, he's going to drum and I'm going to play guitar. But we need to get a couple more members.

The problem with this game is that really playing it will be just like a real band in that you will need friends who aren't flaky and are willing to come over and "practice"

dude

At this point, what we need is a vocalist who will just be the totally insane front man.
    Like, flipping out, rolling on the floor and shit, all Iggy Pop style.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What about having seizures on stage Ian Curtis style

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    What about having seizures on stage Ian Curtis style

Hmm.
    Jordyn?

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah that'd work too, as long as they can still hit the notes.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lardalish wrote: »

Hate.

Well...why don't you?

I think Defender is one of the ones who actually knows some fighting styles. Though this is essentially why video games exist. So people can pretend to do things that they cant or dont want to invest the time in, doing themselves. Why play sports games? Just go toss a football! Why play Need For Speed? You can drive around in real life! But yeah, I agree with you man, I greatly dislike people who say that also.

Yeah, I'm really not the best person to ask that question. I thought that martial arts were cool, so I went out and "learned how to fight with a variety of different combat styles," as you put it. I thought that not being a wimpy puss was cool, so I lifted weights until I was reasonably strong. I thought music was cool, so I...well, I went out and discovered that I suck ass at music, but hey, at least I tried.

If there's something cool enough that it's worthy of glorifying or fantasizing about, and it's actually reasonably possible to do it, I'll just go and do it. Now, I may also play video games about it or watch movies about it or whatever, but having the real skill, to me, is far more worth my time and effort than just whacking off to a fantasy about it.

Defender on
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    ufukkin nerds are living in a fnatasy world

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    So as long as you make a noise at the right time, it accepts it? Is that how it works?
    It has to be the right note.

Actual register does not matter.

All that really counts is pitch and timing.

actually I think they have some syllable matching thing, so you have to say the words

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So as long as you make a noise at the right time, it accepts it? Is that how it works?

actually I think they have some syllable matching thing, so you have to say the words
    Actually, I'm pretty sure you're 100% wrong.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Hate.

Well...why don't you?

Yeah, I'm really not the best person to ask that question. I thought that martial arts were cool, so I went out and "learned how to fight with a variety of different combat styles," as you put it. I thought that not being a wimpy puss was cool, so I lifted weights until I was reasonably strong. I thought music was cool, so I...well, I went out and discovered that I suck ass at music, but hey, at least I tried.

If there's something cool enough that it's worthy of glorifying or fantasizing about, and it's actually reasonably possible to do it, I'll just go and do it. Now, I may also play video games about it or watch movies about it or whatever, but having the real skill, to me, is far more worth my time and effort than just whacking off to a fantasy about it.

I've been playing guitar for seven years and I still played GH2 obsessively to the point where I have only one song left to five star on Expert.

It's not even a fantasy thing; it's a game that is enjoyable to play. The fact that it accesses similar skills to those used in real guitar is a minor one. It's the fact that it tests your dexterity and your skill, and then objectively rates your performance, and presents a number of different challenges that constantly ramp up. There aren't many games that do that well, especially not for four players as Rock Band will be. Rhythm games generally aren't fun because you're pretending you're a musician, they're fun because they're fun games.

Pressing buttons quickly in a precise order is the root of videogaming, and it is fun. Hitting things with sticks is fun; drumming in Rock Band will be a fun, physical experience, like whack-a-mole but better. And if you can sing, playing a karaoke game is a lot of fun because it tests and coldly evaluates your technical skill on some level (although you can do well and sound like shit). And co-op makes things exponentially more fun.

It's an entirely different thing from playing an instrument.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Rock Band's microphone instrument will be similar to the Singstar and Karaoke Revolution games, but also will have phoneme detection to determine the difference between vowels and consonants.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    neener neener

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Hate.

Well...why don't you?

I've been playing guitar for seven years and I still played GH2 obsessively to the point where I have only one song left to five star on Expert.

It's not even a fantasy thing; it's a game that is enjoyable to play. The fact that it accesses similar skills to those used in real guitar is a minor one. ...

Wow, it's like you didn't listen to (or understand) anything I said.

I fenced for about thirteen years. I taught fencing as a job. I still play Soul Calibur. I understand that fencing and playing Soul Calibur aren't the same thing. I didn't say that my real-life fencing somehow excludes the possibility of playing games about fencing or watching movies that feature sword fights.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Hate.

Well...why don't you?

It's not even a fantasy thing; it's a game that is enjoyable to play. The fact that it accesses similar skills to those used in real guitar is a minor one. ...

Wow, it's like you didn't listen to (or understand) anything I said.

I fenced for about thirteen years. I taught fencing as a job. I still play Soul Calibur. I understand that fencing and playing Soul Calibur aren't the same thing. I didn't say that my real-life fencing somehow excludes the possibility of playing games about fencing or watching movies that feature sword fights.

My point is that just because someone enjoys Guitar Hero doesn't mean that they should (or even can) go learn guitar as well. They're entirely separate. It's like saying "well, you like Devil May Cry, so why don't you go learn guitar?" It's a non sequitur.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Except it's not, because the game very obviously caters to the fantasy of being a rock 'n' roll front man, wailing on an electric guitar in front of a screaming crowd. It's not just "press the buttons at the right time"...people play it because of the fantasy. The gameplay has to be good, sure, but the draw is "play guitar."

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh god guys I'm so gay.

I'm way gayer than anyone else in the world

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    OK.

You should all just assume that that was Cap making that admission, because I made the cardinal fucking mistake of SE++ houseguests....

I didn't fucking log off when I went to the bathroom.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Except it's not, because the game very obviously caters to the fantasy of being a rock 'n' roll front man, wailing on an electric guitar in front of a screaming crowd. It's not just "press the buttons at the right time"...people play it because of the fantasy. The gameplay has to be good, sure, but the draw is "play guitar."

I think that's the marketing behind it, but the actual playing of the game is not based on that at all. I think most people who play Guitar Hero are too busy paying attention to the little coloured buttons and concentrating to fantasize while they're playing, or to feel like they're performing. They may try the game because of the fantasy, but they will continue playing because they find the gameplay fun.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I absolutely love how this game will have Live co-op play.

So if anybody ever needs someone to fill in bass, I'll gladly do it.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I think that's the marketing behind it, but the actual playing of the game is not based on that at all. I think most people who play Guitar Hero are too busy paying attention to the little coloured buttons and concentrating to fantasize while they're playing, or to feel like they're performing. They may try the game because of the fantasy, but they will continue playing because they find the gameplay fun.

OK. Let's break it down. A game has two main components: Style and substance. Style is everything that gives the game its flair, or its flavor. Substance is the actual rule set that determines whether you win or lose.

GH's style is all about playing the guitar and being a rock 'n' roll god.

GH's substance is "press the buttons at the right times." This is remarkably similar to every other rhythm game.

So what sets it apart from the others? The fantasy, of course! The style! The substance is the same old thing you've seen a million times.

Defender on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

OK. Let's break it down. A game has two main components: Style and substance. Style is everything that gives the game its flair, or its flavor. Substance is the actual rule set that determines whether you win or lose.

GH's substance is "press the buttons at the right times." This is remarkably similar to every other rhythm game.

So what sets it apart from the others? The fantasy, of course! The style! The substance is the same old thing you've seen a million times.

I agree with this point.

I'm really not sure what you're arguing on the "why not play real guitar?" issue and you seem to sort of contradict yourself. You brought up the point about how you teach fencing and also play Soul Calibur, but the point of playing Guitar Hero isn't that you're playing guitar, it's that you're playing guitar and you're amazing and godly at it.

Like you said, part of GH's style is being a rock 'n' roll god. Are you then saying that if you don't aspire to play the guitar in real life and become amazing, then you just shouldn't even bother with playing Guitar Hero?

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    B.C. wrote: »
    I absolutely love how this game will have Live co-op play.

So if anybody ever needs someone to fill in bass, I'll gladly do it.

Duly noted.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I agree with this point.

I'm really not sure what you're arguing on the "why not play real guitar?" issue and you seem to sort of contradict yourself. You brought up the point about how you teach fencing and also play Soul Calibur, but the point of playing Guitar Hero isn't that you're playing guitar, it's that you're playing guitar and you're amazing and godly at it.

Like you said, part of GH's style is being a rock 'n' roll god. Are you then saying that if you don't aspire to play the guitar in real life and become amazing, then you just shouldn't even bother with playing Guitar Hero?

This is exactly right. I mean think about it. How long would it take someone to master these same licks on a real guitar? It takes no time at all (relatively) to master the guitar hero, and honestly, friends are pretty much just as impressed, if not more so. I can pick up a guitar and play some tunes, and sing and people will smile and be like "yeah man that was really good" or I can pick up guitar hero at a party full of 30 people, play Carry Me Home on expert, while rocking the shit out of the place (headbanging, high kicks, foot stomping madness) and people will be going totally insane. It's totally different and to even say that guitar hero is even remotely similar to playing a real guitar is to say that you're not good at either.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The Cheese wrote: »

Rock Band's microphone instrument will be similar to the Singstar and Karaoke Revolution games, but also will have phoneme detection to determine the difference between vowels and consonants.
    Okay.

80% wrong.

How would you like me to refund the 20% I overcharged?

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The Cheese wrote: »

Okay.

80% wrong.

How would you like me to refund the 20% I overcharged?

hahaha, oh Nap, you're the best.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    guitar hero hurts my hands more than real guitar

and i get mad when they do bad covers

Homeless on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Honestly, I think I've only played GH a couple of times. Those kinds of games just aren't for me, I guess.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Homeless wrote: »
    guitar hero hurts my hands more than real guitar

and i get mad when they do bad covers

As much as I love Iron Maiden.
    The Trooper cover on GH2 makes me cringe every time I go to play it.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Freebird cover is HILARIOUS sounding

I couldn't play it, I just ended up laughing hysterically at the forced drawl

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I agree with this point.

No, what I'm saying is "If you think that guitar is so cool, you should totally learn to play it!" This doesn't mean that you should not play GH.

Like I thought that sword fighting was cool when I was a kid. Star Wars is probably at least partially responsible for that. So I played video games about sword fighting, but I also learned how to fence. If it's such a cool ability that it's worthy of fantasy, then I figure, hey, why just jerk off about it? Why not actually go and do it?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I agree with this point.

This is exactly right. I mean think about it. How long would it take someone to master these same licks on a real guitar? It takes no time at all (relatively) to master the guitar hero, and honestly, friends are pretty much just as impressed, if not more so. I can pick up a guitar and play some tunes, and sing and people will smile and be like "yeah man that was really good" or I can pick up guitar hero at a party full of 30 people, play Carry Me Home on expert, while rocking the shit out of the place (headbanging, high kicks, foot stomping madness) and people will be going totally insane. It's totally different and to even say that guitar hero is even remotely similar to playing a real guitar is to say that you're not good at either.

Nobody said the actual skill sets were similar. The point is that if you think guitar is so cool, you should learn to play guitar. However, learning to play guitar does not mean that you shouldn't also play guitar-themed video games.

Defender on
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What if the person genuinely likes all rhythm based games and could care less that it is portraying you as a rock god?

Trexy on