As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wake up wake up don't sleep

• Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ah dammit

well maybe just get some nurofen plus and hope the codeine does a lot

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Another dark dream, though it didn't feel like a nightmare and I wasn't ever scared.

I'm in the back seat of an old, broken car. There's four other guys in the car with me- three in the front, another in the rear. It looks like we're in the middle of a junkyard, but everything- the towering stacks of crushed metal, the dusty ground, and the clouded sky- is rusting. I can see the ground crack as we start to move, and it seems as if the clouds themselves are chipping away. We drive out of the junkyard and into the desert.

The world is lit oddly. It's dusk, but there's no sun. The light is coming from the brownish-red clouds above us, while the sky behind them is pitch black. Even though I can see long shadows being cast by an apparent sunset, it's as if the sky is a second light source, illuminating the darkness. Though I can see in the shadows, I don't know what it is I see.

We're driving down an old highway. The front windows are broken, and a dusty wind blinds me. I try to look at the man next to me, but he's dressed in countless layers of thick clothing. Everybody is wearing a hood over his head, including me. I'm sweating under my clothes, but the wind is freezing.

The driver starts talking about what we're going to do- where we'll go to gather supplies, how we'll find a shelter, how to fortify it, and so forth. I look out the window to better survey the world around.

The first thing that strikes me is how alien the landscape is. It's flat, but pockmarked with gullies, ditches, hills, and moguls. There isn't anything remarkable in the landscape, as far as the horizon. The highway is elevated a little bit, so I can see pretty far. But I see nothing.

The second thing I notice is that, in fact, I do see something. I see the ruins of buildings, dotting the landscape. The skeletal remains of skyscrapers and the crumbling walls of smaller structures stand isolated from eachother in this wasteland. The ruins aren't what concerns me- it's the desert. There's no rubble, no roads between each solitary ruin. Imagine someone going through the ruins of a city, and sweeping away all but a few isolated pockets of wreckage.

We pull off the highway and drive through the desert for some time, until we come upon a sort of square, five-story motel complex. Somebody says something about it being easily fortified, so we stop the car out "front" and get out. I say "front" because each side of the building is the same- rusted balconies and dirt-obscured windows. There aren't any doors or windows on the ground floor, and the only way we can get inside is through an alley leading into the inner courtyard.

We take some metal panels and boxes that were tied down on top of the car or in the trunk and enter the courtyard. I expect to see a pool, or patio, or something inside, but it's just a square patch of desert. There aren't any doors or windows on the inner walls of the first floor, either. It's like somebody built a foundation a story tall, but I know the walls are hollow. The building also seems taller from within the courtyard, perhaps three stories taller, boxing us in. The clouds overhead provide some light for our sanctary, but the corners are dark.

One of the guys sets up a sort of massive guillotine door over the alley, allowing us to close ourselves in if need be. The group starts talking about our plans for the next month, but I can't hear them. All I can do is look up at the floors above us. Though the windows are too dirty for me to see into, it feels like there's somebody in each room, looking down.

One of the guys tells me that we're going out for supplies. And by "we," I mean him and I. Three of the guys are staying behind. We head back down the alley, and get into the car. We go back to the highway and drive for some time, before going off the road into the desert again. Eventually, we find an abandoned supermarket, standing alone. There aren't any other ruins, and only the distant line of the highway tells me what direction I'm facing.

We stop the car, and my friend gets out to get the food and drinks we came here for. As soon as he steps through one of the broken windows and into the absolute darkness of the building, I feel alone. I wait for a long time before getting out of the car to find him.

I enter the building. Aside from some toppled shelves and broken register lines, there's nothing- no food, no friend. I wander through the isles, but it's all empty. I don't feel alone, though, so I leave.

I return to the car and drive back to the highway, and then to the motel. In the time I've been gone, my friends have managed to climb the outer wall and cover most of the windows and glass doors with old corrugated metal sheets. The second and third floors are mostly covered, and the balconies have been removed. I walk back down the alley, but the door they built earlier is closed. I bang on it and yell for somebody to open up and let me in.

The door opens, and I walk into the courtyard. Nobody is there. I look back down the alley, and the car is gone.

There's a door on the first floor. I go to it, open up, and enter the darkness.

I too, find this sort of scenario terrifying

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I didn't sleep last night. Awesome.

I love it when my body does this.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shorty wrote: »
    Those black cocktail dresses are pretty scary.

I know, whenever I see a girl in one of those, I make it my mission to get that dress off her body and under a bed or something, quickly.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Maybe it was my brain subconsciously expressing my mistrust of wealth and class.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Those black cocktail dresses are pretty scary.

I know, whenever I see a girl in one of those, I make it my mission to get that dress off her body and under a bed or something, quickly.

One of my ex's brought home some lingerie one time and held it up against her and asked if I thought it looked good. I held my hand out for it, she gave it to me and I threw it on the floor.

"Yup... looks good!"

Then got nasty.

Good times...

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sometimes I have sex dreams about my mom.

Happy now?

Why not.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Last nightmare I remember was a few months ago. I slept on my couch with the windows open in my room because some nights my radiator makes my room unbearable.

I "woke up" with the feeling that someone had come in through my window. I felt so weak I could barely move (which happens often in my nightmares). After lying there frightened for a few minutes I decided to get up and open the window. Right as I started to (very slowly) I was quickly jerked back by my hair and an intruder was shoving a knife in my mouth.

I woke up for real right after that and immediately shut the god damn window.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It was like a forest, but the trees were made of glass.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Back when I was in the military and a lot more stressed out all the time I used to have that thing where you would partially wake up but be paralyzed and you'd think someone or some thing was in the room and you could fucking hear and see them but there's nothing you can do because you can't move.

I mean, I'd actually be able to open my eyes a little bit because I'd picture the people in my room from the perspective that I was actually viewing the room from. I'd wake up and be in exactly the position I was just picturing in my dream, so I must have actually opened my eyes.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That sounds extremely freaky, Butters.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The closest thing I remember to a nightmare is this time when I was being attacked outside my house by three or four random criminals. I was kicking their asses and just throwing them around, into trees, punching/kicking them back, but they just kept coming. It was really more annoying than it was frightening.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Monkeybomb - that is sleep paralysis. Buddy of mine in high school had it. Scary shit.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah the best part is how you're still in a dreamlike state so you're basically hallucinating

this would be the time of day when my body would use all of my built-up anxieties against me

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Monkeybomb - that is sleep paralysis. Buddy of mine in high school had it. Scary shit.

I keep reading your name an Poonochondriac.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I keep reading your name an Poonochondriac.

I'll allow it.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    hypnagogic hallucinations

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i just woke up from a dream like an hour ago. it had something to do with sailing in a swamp and this girl owning a coffee shop. it was very enjoyable.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The one nightmare that I routinely have is one that started when I got back from Afghanistan. When I was there, you could still find the remnants of old Soviet tanks that had been destroyed back in the early 80s. In fact, on one patrol, we found the skeleton of a downed Soviet helicopter. One of those two prop Sigorskys (sp?).

After I left, I started having nightmares about being inside a tank. It was just the one tank and we're cross a bridge and then we're struck by some sort of rocket, but it was different because it just covered the outside of the tank in this thick ooze that immediately caught on fire. So, essentially the tank becomes one giant, rolling inferno and we're trying to drive it across the bridge, but we've lost all steering and it's hitting one side of the bridge and then hitting the next. I try opening the hatch to get out and it won't budge and it keeps getting hotter and hotter inside. Everything on the inside of the tank has taken on this bright, orange hue and you can see condenstation building up on the inside. It's dripping water everywhere and the fire continues to grow on the outside of the tank. Then suddenly, we come to a stop on the bridge and as I turn to look at the drive up front, I watch him turn to me slowly and begin to moan. Like a deep-throated, wailing moan and I watch him just combust into a flaming corpse and he's struggling to get out of his seat and get towards me and I'm turning back and trying to claw at the hatch. It won't budge and then as I look at my hands, I watch them catch on fire.

Yea, I usually wake up screaming and running towards my shower.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    i just woke up from a dream like an hour ago. it had something to do with sailing in a swamp and this girl owning a coffee shop. it was very enjoyable.

Did you watch part of that "EarthSea" made for TV movie on Space last night, and also possibly have a thing for Kristen Kreuk?
    Everyone has a thing for Kristen Kreuk

also, t. Puscifer, the rocket you describe sounds like a description of the Inferno SRM system in Battletech/Mechwarrior. The Rocket explodes a few metres short of the target, splattering the area in highly flammable napalm gel.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Did you watch part of that "EarthSea" made for TV movie on Space last night, and also possibly have a thing for Kristen Kreuk?

also, t. Puscifer, the rocket you describe sounds like a description of the Inferno SRM system in Battletech/Mechwarrior. The Rocket explodes a few metres short of the target, splattering the area in highly flammable napalm gel.

My favorite episode of Smallville is the one where Lana cries and then they all go to the hospital.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited July 2007

nope, this was a mystery dream girl. and no matter how hard i try (and believe me ive been trying) i can't remember her face.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Werrick wrote: »
    My favorite episode of Smallville is the one where Lana cries and then they all go to the hospital.

Thats seriously every other episode. But I love it so.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    lostwords wrote: »

I... I believe that was the joke...

Though it should be "Lana cries and then they all go to the hospital and Clark looks concerned and wrestles with the idea of telling Lana about his superpowers MAYBE IT WILL BE NEXT WEEK KIDS."

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    lostwords wrote: »

I... I believe that was the joke...

Though it should be "Lana cries and then they all go to the hospital and Clark looks concerned and wrestles with the idea of telling Lana about his superpowers MAYBE IT WILL BE NEXT WEEK KIDS."

Yeah, I figured, but I just wanted to type out my frustration on how it keeps happening, and I keep eating it up like peanut butter.

Lana knows this season! And umm, two different WWE guest appearances. But really, its an alright show to watch.

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You realize those last two sentences cannot possibly both be true.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You realize those last two sentences cannot possibly both be true.

Yes, mutual exclusivity and all that.

Science.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Look at the positive. At least it wasn't Benoit that did the guest appearances.

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Kryptonite wristbands for the most deadly crippler crossface ever!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My sleep schedule is currently this:

For three weeks, get about six hours of sleep a night.

Then, stay up for at least 36 hours straight.

Then, sleep for 18 hours.

Rinse and repeat.

Is this healthy? y/n

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Your schedule needs more naps. But otherwise, it seems alright.

lostwords on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i had a sex dream set in an amusement park two nights ago

wheeeeee

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That sounds extremely freaky, Butters.

Yeah it was pretty hard to fall asleep after that shit.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I had a nightmare when I was, like, 5 that I was kidnapped by a Bigfoot-driving h.r. pufnstuf

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I just came into work an hour early by accident.

I'm living my nightmare right now.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had problems with sleep paralysis for about a month.
    When I re-arranged my room so my bed was not directly facing the door they stopped completely.
    They never returned, regardless of how my room was set up.
    Weird.

Trexy on
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My worst dream was when I was younger. I used to get the wierdest dreams when I had a fever. They were mostly one shot deals, however I did have one that was recurring.

I would always dream that I was awake, but laying in bed. I would see a polar bear standing in front of me. He always had a very accusing look on his face. He wore a tophat. And he held a small spoon in his hand, that had a boulder resting on it. The boulder was bigger than he was. It used to freak me out so much, how he would just stand there with his spoon with a boulder on it.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »
    My worst dream was when I was younger. I used to get the wierdest dreams when I had a fever. They were mostly one shot deals, however I did have one that was recurring.

I would always dream that I was awake, but laying in bed. I would see a polar bear standing in front of me. He always had a very accusing look on his face. He wore a tophat. And he held a small spoon in his hand, that had a boulder resting on it. The boulder was bigger than he was. It used to freak me out so much, how he would just stand there with his spoon with a boulder on it.

That happens to me occasionally, but mine are less comedic and more horrifying

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Trexy wrote: »
    I had problems with sleep paralysis for about a month.
    When I re-arranged my room so my bed was not directly facing the door they stopped completely.
    They never returned, regardless of how my room was set up.
    Weird.

That's because it's not as fun for the Aliens if they can't slowly creak open the door at the foot of your bed...

Ruckus on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Usually when I have nightmares they're about things that can actually happen in my everyday life. Once I had a dream that my girlfriend had met some other guy and was trying to decide who she wanted to be with. I woke up after that and did all I could to not fall asleep. It was so vivid too, like she had posted something on her Livejournal, and I could actually read it, and I remembered what it said for so long. I was pretty fucked up for the next couple of days.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!