As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How would YOU handle this?

cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
RE-WRITTEN:

I slept with my best friends girlfriend, "Sarah". I told my best friend (matt) and he said he's still friends with me, spilled my guts out to matt about how much I regret it and so forth (which I do, fuck I would do anything to change what I did). I still want to remain friends with both of them, and make sure they are both happy, have some feelings for Sarah, and they have been on the edge of breaking up for almost 2 years, been together 4. It's hard to believe he still wants to be friends. @ of my other friends said I would have been knocked out right after I told them.

And yes, matt is a lot more dissapointed in his GF, and from what ive heard, i'm not really a big deal in the situation, because it could have been any guy, it's the fact Sarah cheated on him.

Ive talked to Sarah and she said she was going to tell him, she didn't talk to me for about half a week, and we just started talking. I havn't talked to matt yet, but I really want to to sort some things out, friendship things and how he really feels. Also, I really don't know how she feels.

What i'm wondering is do you think it's farfetched to think i'll still remain GOOD friends with both of them or not.

And what ive come to realize is that ive pretty much figured this out by re-writing this, ill just have to talk to both of them and see what happens.

Right now, if sarah wanted to do something with me, whether it be friends or something more, id have to decide between her and one of my best friends.

60555833fo7.png
cowmeet on

• Options
    BokiBoki __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    cowmeet wrote: »
    So this guy I know slept with his best friends GF. he told his best friend because it was killing him inside. The kid has feelings for his best friends GF, and doesn't want to not talk to her again.

His best friend is really depressed because she cheated on him, with his best friend, but the best friend without a GF doesn't want to lose the BF with the GF (i'm abbreviating now). So the friend is stuck in the middle, and doesn't know if he should talk to his BF's GF, or his BF and still be friends with them both. How awkward would that be?

The best friend with the GF is not THAT mad at the friend w/o the GF, and is more mad at his GF.

Anyway, what do you think the final conclusion will be?

Ok, did you really sleep with somebody?

You shouldn't do anything.

Boki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well what do you think the friend should do? Just let things take their course?

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So this guy I know slept with his best friends GF. he told his best friend because it was killing him inside. The kid has feelings for his best friends GF, and doesn't want to not talk to her again.

His best friend is really depressed because she cheated on him, with his best friend, but the best friend without a GF doesn't want to lose the BF with the GF (i'm abbreviating now). So the friend is stuck in the middle, and doesn't know if he should talk to his BF's GF, or his BF and still be friends with them both. How awkward would that be?

The best friend with the GF is not THAT mad at the friend w/o the GF, and is more mad at his GF.

Anyway, what do you think the final conclusion will be?

Hard Feelings. The end of friendships.

As "That guy who slept with his best friend's wife" lemme know when you want some real advice. Until then betting on the outcome of someone else's shit isn't cool.

Trust me.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well the friend is me if you must know. But they fight all the time, she pushed it on me under the influence (both of us were), and she flirts with fucking every guy she sees right in front of him. I don't think there was one moment where they weren't mad at each other.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well the friend is me if you must know. But they fight all the time, she pushed it on me under the influence (both of us were), and she flirts with fucking every guy she sees right in front of him. I don't think there was one moment where they weren't mad at each other.

Yes, I must know.

First step in this process is to stop trying to deflect blame. Your first loyalty is to your friend, period. You slept with his girlfriend. This is a hard truth, neighbour, but you have to own up to it. You have to look in the mirror and be able to know that you betrayed your best friend in the worst way possible.

You fucked your best friends significant other.

That's a bitter morsel, neighbour. Trust me, I know.

How old are you? How old are they? How do you know them? How long have you know them. I need more information.

EDIT - If you don't want to talk about this publically, feel free to PM me.

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So can you rewrite the OP using your PA name, and call your best friend and his GF Adam and Jane or something (unless they ARE adam and jane... then... whatever you get the point :) ). Should make it a bit easier to follow that way.

In the meantime... so... your friend isnt that mad at you for sleeping with his GF, and he is more mad with his GF? Is that right?

On the plus side, at least he's mad at the right person. (having said that, i know i personally would not be as forgiving) So at least he's still speaking with you. If you want to remain friends with him, then i believe you might still be able to. Personally i think you owe him bigtime, as you've invaded his trust, but i know theres plenty of forumers here who wouldnt agree with that.

Next you've got the GF. You still want to talk to her. Is that all you want? Is that all SHE wants? These are questions you both need to answer, before you become 'just friends'. Also, is she planning on leaving the boyfriend? Or is he going to dump her? (or has one of these things already happened?) If you both decide to hook up, consider the impact on your friend. One drunken mistake is one thing, taking his girlfriend away from him permanently is entirely another. I'm not saying thats what is happening, or what you want, but its something to think about. He may not be so quick to forgive if you make something of it. Dont forget he only has the facts as he sees them. I'm also not saying this is the wrong choice, that part is up to you.

tl;dr : If you want the girl, i dont think you'll be able to remain friends with the guy. Friends with both, maybe.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Edited the first post.

Ill check back in the morning, lots of thinking to do.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    RE-WRITTEN:

Right now, if sarah wanted to do something with me, whether it be friends or something more, id have to decide between her and one of my best friends.

If you are so lucky as to get to make this choice, you choose your best friend.

If you're that lucky.

Werrick on

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Edited the first post.

Ill check back in the morning, lots of thinking to do.
    I betrayed a friend back in High school, not quite this severely but emotionally perhaps it was. In any event, he forgave me and we are still friends eight years later.
    If I can, though, I would advise total loyalty to him, and complete seperation from her. Don't even talk to her beyond what is required to avoid social awkwardness in front of other people. But completely end all friendship/other stuff with the girl.
    This will set you up to continue the important relationship with your friend if he is really willing, and cut off the dead wood.
    In summary: let your emotions be subject to your intellect and do the smart/right thing- grow in loyalty to your friend. Best wishes!

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Right now matt will seek to blame someone, someone who can embody all the things he has come to hate. But when the girl is gone, he will come to hate you, and tear you down.

I don't think he will ever trust you around any of his girlfriends ever again.

Boki on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bros before hos.

Seriously, if your friend is willing to forgive you, stick with him -- she cheated on him with you, what makes you think she won't do the same to you later on?

Virum on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why would you want a relationship with a girl that cheats? It will never be a *once only*.

Forget her, be a better friend and fix this feeling in your mind so you can resist the temptation in future.

onceling on
  • Options
    FawkesFawkes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Virum wrote: »
    Bros before hos.

Every time I read that I just want to lay into the poster for a good few minutes. 'Mates before muff' and other wordings are no better. It's a retarded sentiment and utterly completely 100% pure MoroniteTM way of saying it which makes you sound like a grade A tosser. Would that advice apply to a friend vs wife, fiancee, anyone you were deeply in love with? Is it possible to have friendships which are strong specifically because they allow for the occasional crack created by love interests? Might it be an idea to judge each situation on its merits rather than some dickpole's idea of a rhyme?
    Why would you want a relationship with a girl that cheats? It will never be a *once only*.

...and ditto. So in the history of the world, nobody has ever just cheated once, huh? Boy I wish I were omniscient too. More to the point, why would she want a relationship with someone who (if not technically cheating) took the not-totally-ethical-route of sleeping with his best friend's girlfriend.

As for the OP, seems pretty obvious you still want this girl and are trying to work out which is more important to you, the friend or her. Until you've done that, I doubt anyone can tell you much of use, and when you've done that, you'll know the answer anyway.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You ARE a big deal in this situation. Because you were the kind of friend who sleeps with your BEST friend's girlfriend.

Sorry to sound harsh - but you seem dangerously close to not learning anything from your mistake. If you honestly are best mates with this guys then there really shouldn't be a question here. You just back off the girl. If you're actually considering trying it on with this girl again, then

a) She os oh-so-special (who am I to judge... She did cheat on her last boyfriend though)
    b) You are actually trying to get away with this AGAIN.

Take a long, hard look at the situation. I just get the impression from the way that this was writtten, that you're trying to convince yourself that you weren't as in the wrong as you were.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I would handle this by pretending that we were still going to be friends to avoid a fight and then going off to find a real friend (one who's actually a friend) to talk to. No matter what you said, I would continue to pretend that we were still friends, but whenever you're talking I'd be looking for an excuse to go away from you and not have to listen to your shit. I'd also have already dumped Sarah, so what you and her did at this point would be none of my fucking concern.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    onceling wrote: »

That's rubbish. It very much depends on specific circumstances.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your best bet is to repair the damage done to the best friend. Because best friends are usually pretty rare, you get one, and if you fuck it up really bad, it's hard to find someone else to replace that friend.

Staying friends with Sarah is secondary. If you can repair things between best friend, hopefully as time goes by, you can judge if it would be weird to hang out with her again. Trying to befriend her after having slept with her and caused such drama might appear ungentlemanly and should be avoided until an appropriate amount of time has elapsed.

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    onceling wrote: »

That's rubbish. It very much depends on specific circumstances.

For us as uninvolved observers this is very much true. But he is the one she cheated on her BF with, and he still wants to be friends with the guy... to the point of really weighing in his options (girl he kinda likes, slept with, if things had been otherwise might be with... who cheated on her bf with her bf's best friend. Vs his best friend of however long).

Not saying she WILL cheat on the op if they got together, or even that she'd ever cheat on her current BF again if they stay together... but pursuing one in this situation is almost guaranteed to exclude the other.

My ex cheated on me, and I would not have been anywhere near as forgiving as the OP's friend, as I know in a situation like that, both make the choice... but I never want to see my ex's face again, and if she started hanging with another friend of mine (even without them having cheated on me) it would be INCREDIBLY awkward.... now imagine how bad that would be if it was the OP's friend suddenly walking into a bar seeing the OP and his ex hanging together... It'd be brutal.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Once you fuck your best friends girl, that friendship is over. He may talk all nice, but in all honesty his trust of you is gone. And a friendship without trust is like a car without wheels, it isn't going anywhere. Your bullshit excuse about her taking advantage of you is just that a bullshit excuse. You need to accept responsibility for your actions, realize what a collosal mistake you made and move on.

As far as the don't date a cheater. They may not always be a cheater, but if I have to make a choice between a woman who knowingly cheated, and one who hasn't, it isn't that hard of a choice to make. It's like I may talk to a guy who admits to stealing shit, but I wouldn't leave anything expensive around him.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fawkes wrote: »
    Bros before hos.

Every time I read that I just want to lay into the poster for a good few minutes. 'Mates before muff' and other wordings are no better. It's a retarded sentiment and utterly completely 100% pure MoroniteTM way of saying it which makes you sound like a grade A tosser. Would that advice apply to a friend vs wife, fiancee, anyone you were deeply in love with? Is it possible to have friendships which are strong specifically because they allow for the occasional crack created by love interests? Might it be an idea to judge each situation on its merits rather than some dickpole's idea of a rhyme?

Chiiiilll winston.

No, I don't think it applies everytime, but a girl he has "some feelings for" isn't someone he's deeply in love with, isn't his wife, isn't his fiancee. I didn't say that stupid motto or whatever in that context so please don't extrapolate so far. It certainly does not apply in every situation but I think here that it's better to salvage the "best friend" relationship than some girl that he kinda likes.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    As far as the don't date a cheater. They may not always be a cheater, but if I have to make a choice between a woman who knowingly cheated, and one who hasn't, it isn't that hard of a choice to make. It's like I may talk to a guy who admits to stealing shit, but I wouldn't leave anything expensive around him.

That's a retardedly arbitrary point to hinge the decision on, just so you know. That's kind of what Fawkes is getting at with his remarks about people who say that shit needing a punch in the mouth. Particularly because they tend to make a concentrated effort to continue to beat the myth into others. It's as stupid as making the claim that anyone who hasn't cheated yet is eventually going to.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well in my mind a relationship is about trust and if a girl has cheated on another guy in the past, trust is going to be difficult to have/maintain. It's not difficult to not fuck other guys/girls while you are dating someone exclusively so it's not like it can happen on accident "Man I slipped on the floor and accidently stuck my dick into someone elses wife".

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well in my mind a relationship is about trust and if a girl has cheated on another guy in the past, trust is going to be difficult to have/maintain. It's not difficult to not fuck other guys/girls while you are dating someone exclusively so it's not like it can happen on accident "Man I slipped on the floor and accidently stuck my dick into someone elses wife".

It's not difficult to make stupid choices either. Sometimes people do things that they know are wrong because they think it won't hurt anyone. And then sometimes, get this, they actually learn from their mistakes! Based on the kind of pseudo-logic you're using, you should totally only date cheaters because they the ones who are least likely to cheat on you since they've already fucked up that way and are less likely to repeat the mistake than girls who have never made it before. You're also branding any and all consequences surrounding the event null, the way you're talking it doesn't matter if she cheated on him because he was a controlling borderline-abusive fuckstick, she's still beneath you. Because clearly you've never done anything you knew was wrong before regardless of circumstances, m i rite? Seriously, "once a cheater, always a cheater" is too stupid to be help or advice, it's just a piece of poop that stupid monkeys like to throw around to reinforce to themselves that they're part of some sort of social unit. And all this talk of trust makes me wonder whether you even know what trust is, because it sounds like you think any girl who has ever cheated on a guy has already cheated on you. Trust is very personal, it doesn't work the way you're claiming it does.

Edit: In other words, "bros before hos" and "once a cheater always a cheater" are henceforth termed bad advice, now and forever, because they're stupid generalizations rather than actual help or advice.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well in the case of this thread, I wouldn't date this girl, or even remain friends with her. She doesn't seem like a good person, though the OP ain't much better for screwing his best friends girl.

And I don't understand why making a personal choice not to date someone who has cheated on someone is such a bad thing VC, but I don't want to take this any more off topic then it already is. You can date whoever you want, I prefer not to date women who have cheated on previous people they dated and caution others not to do the same. I can't see how that is bad advice considering personally knowing many guys who dated women who cheated and shockingly enough they got cheated on. I know anecdotes does not equal data, but I don't know many people who base their advice purely on data.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Deciding to be a retard isn't all that bad a thing, telling other people that your retarded delusions are in any way factual or "the way of the world" is a very bad thing. And I realise that you don't understand why, luckily the circumstances don't require you to. No one gets to offer "bros before hos" or "once a cheater, always a cheater" as advice. Period. They are bad advice, bad advice is against the rules, this is not up for debate nor negotiation and it applies to everyone, not just you. Savvy?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, I don't think it applies everytime, but a girl he has "some feelings for" isn't someone he's deeply in love with, isn't his wife, isn't his fiancee. I didn't say that stupid motto or whatever in that context so please don't extrapolate so far. It certainly does not apply in every situation but I think here that it's better to salvage the "best friend" relationship than some girl that he kinda likes.

See, that's fine. Just be aware that by condensing the above into 'bros before hos' you are just making your advice look stupid and generally sticking a big IGNORE sign on your post.

Also, for a retarded generalisation of my own, 'bros before hos', 'once a cheater', etc type advice usually (not always) seems to be handed out by posters from the more teenage end of the spectrum rather than the older forum-goers. Might I humbly suggest that it's easier to be so judgemental when posters haven't the crows feet to have come across any morally clouded situations themselves, and that giving advice based on such lack of experience may not be a good thing.

Fawkes on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You're absolutely right Fawkes - I'll be more careful to express myself in a more mature manner from now on because I can see where you are coming from.

And I haven't ever slept with my best friends girl, but I have been cheated on by a girl who was getting it on with a guy I knew (but not really friends with). and ...people do change. I remember being fairly bitter and just waiting for her to do the same thing to him so I could enjoy a bit of good old schadenfreude.

And she's still going out with him 2.5 years later.

People learn from mistakes and don't always repeat them --- but I still think it's a good idea to evaluate if she is sorry for what she did in that it hurt someone or if she doesn't really care, because I do think the attitude matters, and is a good indicator of if she'll do it again. (Obviously that can apply to guys too but I'm not going to do the he/she bullshit; it's hard to read).

Virum on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alright, I didn't expect this much, but thanks for you opinions.

My first thought right after I told him, was that ill never talk to her again, and I won't be as good of friends with matt as I was.

Right now I want to change that last part to still being good friends with him.

A lot of close my friends that know exactly what happened, and have talked to both parties say that matt is not mad at me at all. Even though he hasn't talked to me. (said we can chill later this week, so I dunno whats going to happen then). of course I feel like he should be incredibly mad at me as some of you have said, but ive found out that I could have been any guy, it doesn't matter that I'm his best friend which I guess is good.

I never really planned on going out with sarah, but she is nice to be around and a good friend, I might have dated her before she cheated, but not now. She does flirt with other guys in front of her boyfriend now, even with me, literally 5 feet away from matt, and during that ive looked at matt with the, "Dude control your girl" face, and he said "don't worry about it man".

So right now the next time I see matt, ill be driving because his car is fucked up, and im just going to pull over and man to man ask him whats going on.

Right now my main priority is staying friends with him, because that also leads to a whole new social area since we go to different schools, and we both know a ton of different people.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd suggest that if Matt isn't mad at you, something is kind of wrong with him. I will say, though, that in my opinion you don't really "deserve" any answers even though you seem to think he owes you an honest assessment of how he feels toward you. I don't think he does, but that's a point for D&D not H&A so I'll just advise that if he's treating you cordially, you just let it go.

And I agree with Fawkes completely. "Bros before hos" is stupid and I want to slap people that use the phrase or any variant. The phrase, and the concept, are both obnoxious.

Anyway, you'll have to make a choice here, cowmeet. Figure out who you want more and go for it. I think it's a bit odd to say that you would have dated Sarah before she cheated with you.

I guess my ultimate advice is to...realign your moral philosophies. This whole situation is weird. Your expectancies are weird and the way Matt is acting is weird. I just don't get it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd say his buddy is setting himself up for a potential beat down, but I don't know the size of "matt" or his propensity for violence.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd say his buddy is setting himself up for a potential beat down, but I don't know the size of "matt" or his propensity for violence.

I was going to suggest, also, that cowmeet watch his back. As VC said, he would just lie to his cheating "friend's" face and then go seek some advice from someone else. If Matt is being nice to cowmeet, it could be because he's trying to lull him into a false sense of security.

Then again, I am excessively paranoid.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No I know him and he would never do that. He has never fought in his life, and i'm the one that asked him to hang out and he said he'd give me a call later in the week.

I had a couple drinks before I told him what I did, just to soften up anything he might do, but he gave me a pat on the back and said "I appreciate it man".

Again, i'm 100% sure he will not resort to violence. He has been mad at his GF for 2 out of the 4 years they have been dating, and right now since I came out and told him on my own, and from what ive heard, i'm not a big deal in the situation.

Like I said, it could have been any guy.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

But it was you.

Boki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Boki wrote: »

But it was you.

Yes I know, those aren't my words, according to people that talked to matt about the situation they are his words. That's why i'm confused as to how the friendship will turn out.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

But it was you.

Yes I know, those aren't my words, according to people that talked to matt about the situation they are his words. That's why i'm confused as to how the friendship will turn out.

The problem is that what you're describing here is a situation that defies normal human patterns of behavior. While you may be 100% sure of what Matt will do, I'm suggesting that you at least stay alert. The way Matt is acting is, my opinion, abnormal.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »

But it was you.

The problem is that what you're describing here is a situation that defies normal human patterns of behavior. While you may be 100% sure of what Matt will do, I'm suggesting that you at least stay alert. The way Matt is acting is, my opinion, abnormal.

I will take the advice, but I won't fight back, the most ill do is try to reason with him.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Cow, reasoning with someone while they are beating on you might sound like a good idea... Actually it sounds like a terrible idea. I am not saying pack a gun or anything, just do it in a nice public place. Though I am also paranoid like Drez so take what I say with a grain of salt. Remember most people describe serial killers as really nice quiet guys...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alright i KNOW he's not a serial killer :P

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So you think Cowmeet, and then bam you are in his freezer. See the girlfriend was just a ploy, his real target was you!

This bout of paranoid delusion brought on by the western washington heat, and too much salt intake.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I never really planned on going out with sarah, but she is nice to be around and a good friend, I might have dated her before she cheated, but not now. She does flirt with other guys in front of her boyfriend now, even with me, literally 5 feet away from matt, and during that ive looked at matt with the, "Dude control your girl" face, and he said "don't worry about it man".

...and the Total Lack of Self Awareness oscar goes to...

Considering the circumstances, perhaps you should find a mirror and work on your 'Dude control yourself' face before you go having opinions about how this girl or your mate should behave.

Fawkes on