As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should video games be listed as an addiction?

fencingfriendfencingfriend Registered User new member
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
You may have seen it in you local newspaper, or heard about it on the NPR radio. Apparently people are talking about if we should list video games as an addiction under the American Psychiatric Association. The game of choice that is really being discussed over is World of Warcraft. (a.k.a. WoW)

Doctors have claimed that they wanted it listed so that it can be treatable under a person's medical insurance. How have these doctors proposed that it be treated? The one that I've heard the most about is through (basically) a detox clinic. Right... We should pack up all out gamers, send them to a clinic to "get clean", and search in unspeakable places for a hidden gameboy.

Anything can be listed as an addiction because an addiction is something that is being used to hide or ignore other issues in a person's life. So "treatments" and "clinics" aren't going to help. Honestly, doctors and the like need to address the real problems and then gaming wouldn't be a self-destructive habit, but just an enjoyable hobby.

Does this not tick someone else off?

fencingfriend on

• Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You may have seen it in you local newspaper, or heard about it on the NPR radio. Apparently people are talking about if we should list video games as an addiction under the American Psychiatric Association. The game of choice that is really being discussed over is World of Warcraft. (a.k.a. WoW)

Doctors have claimed that they wanted it listed so that it can be treatable under a person's medical insurance. How have these doctors proposed that it be treated? The one that I've heard the most about is through (basically) a detox clinic. Right... We should pack up all out gamers, send them to a clinic to "get clean", and search in unspeakable places for a hidden gameboy.

Anything can be listed as an addiction because an addiction is something that is being used to hide or ignore other issues in a person's life. So "treatments" and "clinics" aren't going to help. Honestly, doctors and the like need to address the real problems and then gaming wouldn't be a self-destructive habit, but just an enjoyable hobby.

Does this not tick someone else off?

No---although I sympathize with your point abotu the potential mistreatment of the addiction, it's better for people to get some treatment for their addictions than none at all, which is what is likely to happen if video game addiction isn't covered by health insurance.

A "video game detox clinic" does sound pretty silly, but hopefully the professional psychiatric community has a halfway decent plan to accurately combat this condition.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are "video games" an addition? No.

Can you become addicted to them, and spend too much time and energy on them? Yeah.

I have a strong feeling you've worded this OP to be far more inflammatory than necessary.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    bluemaggitbluemaggit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hahah i heard nothing about this at all, that is bloody ludacris, they are alot more pressing matters when it comes to addiction out there, hmmm should i stay in all day and play 360 or go do alot of meth...hmmmmm i think i'll go with 360 haha, that seem like the biggest waste of time / money i dont know what else to say really other than that is a ridiculous statement where ever you read it or heard about it, definatly at the bottom of my list for potentially threating addictions, in fact it doesnt even make my list hahaa

bluemaggit on
    .deftones.bluemaggit.banner.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

Can you become addicted to them, and spend too much time and energy on them? Yeah.

Same as gambling, which is listed as an addiction, only with less immediate negatives as a result.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    bluemaggit wrote: »
    hahah i heard nothing about this at all, that is bloody ludacris, they are alot more pressing matters when it comes to addiction out there, hmmm should i stay in all day and play 360 or go do alot of meth...hmmmmm i think i'll go with 360 haha, that seem like the biggest waste of time / money i dont know what else to say really other than that is a ridiculous statement where ever you read it or heard about it, definatly at the bottom of my list for potentially threating addictions, in fact it doesnt even make my list hahaa

...Which is why the practice of medicine is best left to the professionals. Sure, it sounds silly to say that you're addicted to video games, but that sillyness is likely to lead to a dangerous stigma which will prevent people from being treated for real addiction issues.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heh, I am positive that I'm addicted to WoW. Luckily, the addiction isn't terribly strong and the consequences are relatively minor. I would certainly hesitate to add these to an official list by the APA though.

If you snort cocaine or smoke crack repeatedly, I'd say it's pretty much a guarantee that you will become addicted, both physically and mentally. For video games, the likelihood is orders of magnitude lower, and is mental only.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007

Ahem.
    20030707l.jpg

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He's so hopped-up on the vidjea-games he can't write coherently.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Heh, I am positive that I'm addicted to WoW. Luckily, the addiction isn't terribly strong and the consequences are relatively minor. I would certainly hesitate to add these to an official list by the APA though.

If you snort cocaine or smoke crack repeatedly, I'd say it's pretty much a guarantee that you will become addicted, both physically and mentally. For video games, the likelihood is orders of magnitude lower, and is mental only.

Would you support taking gambling, for instance, off of the APA's list? Afterall, it is far from a meth addict's need for a fix and is strictly a mental addiction, like video games.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

Same as gambling, which is listed as an addiction, only with less immediate negatives as a result.

Is there anything "officially" listed as an addictive substance or phenomenon that is less harmful than video games? I mean, drugs and alcohol can kill you either directly or indirectly, or screw you up permanently (generally speaking). Gambling can bankrupt you. Video games can... make you really pasty?

Yes, yes, there are a handful of horror stories of people sitting in their chair playing WoW until they starve to death, or whatever, but playing a video game in and of itself has no capacity for inherent harm in the same way as the other things I listed. There is little about video games that make them unique or special, other than the social stigma applied to them. I can also be addicted to reading, or to television, or to collecting Troll dolls and brushing their pretty, pretty hair.

Instead of devoting resources to singling out video games, let's just say, "Hey, pretty much anything can be an addiction" and then set up "addicted to random shit" hotlines that you can call to get help. And if we want doctors to be able to bill insurance companies, then let's establish "addicted to random shit" as a medical issue, instead. All the benefits without giving dipshits more fodder to decry the game industry as a pox on humanity.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You ever seen a seriuos WoW player not have access to computer for a few days? :shock: They look a lot like a smoker who wasn't had a puff in 14 hours.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some people are just very easily addicted to things, and some of those people happen to play video games. The rest of those people get addicted to other things. That's just how it is. I'm sure there's a case of addiction for nearly every product ever made.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd certainly agree that having an 'addictive personality with really fucked up hobbies' classification would be the best since it'd be an umbrella, but that's not going to happen. Plus, this isn't really videogames in general but more restricted to MMO's. Yeah, the nuance is going to be lost, but meh. MMORPG's can screw up your finances with the whole spending real money on some arcane sword of +3 badassery or whatever, plus there isn't an ending or set time of play like even the most expansive fantasy titles. People with addictive personalities can wind up losing their job because they're devoting too much time to playing a wood nymph and not enough time showing up at work and getting shit done, rather than playing on gamer forums. It's hardly as immediate a concern as other addictions with actual physical risk, but there is a long term hazard if it devolves far enough.

moniker on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Somebody needs to get this guy hooked on phonics.

Anyway. While I do think that to some extent this is a case of the older generation not understanding things about the younger generation, there are surely people legitimately addicted to video games, just as there are people with addictions to TV, food, and various other things for which there is no actual chemical basis for addiction. Surely there has to be something done for such people.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    @bluemaggit: Way to explode the stereotype of the socially retarded, barely literate gamer.

Oh wait........

If you want to be taken seriously, clean up your writing and make some coherent points. I get annoyed at gamers who basically give other gamers a bad name. I enjoy video games in moderation and being lumped in with idiot kids/grown-up kids who think they're 1337 pisses me off.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Would you support taking gambling, for instance, off of the APA's list? Afterall, it is far from a meth addict's need for a fix and is strictly a mental addiction, like video games.

Well, like Jeffe said, having a gambling addiction can bankrupt you/turn you out on the street. And while I'm no expert on MMO addictions, I also can't imagine a person being as addicted to an MMO as gambling. There seem to be more real world opportunities to exercise gambling addictions, like any sort of bet with friends, and the people that do sit at home, and play WoW or EQ literally 18 hours a day or whatever, woul seem to me to have other social/mental issues.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Well, like Jeffe said, having a gambling addiction can bankrupt you/turn you out on the street. And while I'm no expert on MMO addictions, I also can't imagine a person being as addicted to an MMO as gambling. There seem to be more real world opportunities to exercise gambling addictions, like any sort of bet with friends, and the people that do sit at home, and play WoW or EQ literally 18 hours a day or whatever, woul seem to me to have other social/mental issues.

And they should be given help. I highly doubt this is advocating the building of a Betty Ford for Nintendo or anything like that, it's just getting coverage and trying to reduce the social stigma a bit.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    And they should be given help. I highly doubt this is advocating the building of a Betty Ford for Nintendo or anything like that, it's just getting coverage and trying to reduce the social stigma a bit.

What moniker said ^^

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Gaming isn't as immediate as gambling's "oh fuck, I just put myself up the ass in debt in a day" problems, but if you're unemployed and bills start piling, it can certainly put you in the dog house.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Videogames are a symptom of problems, not a cause.

That's all it comes down to.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a guy on my floor freshman year of college who played WoW nonstop. He was actually really smart, came in with like 24~30 credits from APs. His parents were divorced, and while his mom paid for most of his college, but his Dad gave him money for his meal plan. Instead of buying a meal plan, he bought a whole new computer, with a sweet ass video card, whatever the top of the line Nvidia one was this spring (8800 GT?), a new processor, liquid cooling, and like 4gb of memory. His old computer ran WoW just fine, but he wanted to be able to record WoW videos faster. He made like one or two videos, put them up on youtube, then never made another one. He also spent at least $600 on gold to buy an epic mount and other stuff. But it wasn't just WoW: he also lost about $700 on internet gambling websites (thank God Gdub banned that stuff), betting on sports and poker. He never went to class, and got a 0.0 GPA for his first semester, and had to get food by riding his credit card and using people's unlimited meal plans. He managed to somehow stay by getting a C average his second semester (by only taking one class), and is coming back, still saying "Oh yeah, now I'll try and I'll just get all As" or some bullshit like that, which he said for his first semester.

tl;dr WoW ruins lives, but only in the hands of people who are already easily addicted to other things.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    moonwaltz7moonwaltz7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I agree that the negatives of video game addiction seem much more like symptoms of other issues than of the video games in and of themselves. That is to say, if you took a regular healthy person and exposed them to lots of video games for a month and then stopped, I don't think you would see any of the negative effects supposedly associated with video game addiction. Of course someone will probably do this study and it could prove me terribly wrong. But until that happens, I shall stand by my hastily formed opinion.

moonwaltz7 on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    After seeing people be consumed by WoW, I would have to say that a person can most certainly become addicted to video games, but this should hardly be surprising.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think people with addictive behavior will get hooked on anything, just that games is cheap and easy to get that can feed it. I think in China there is laws now trying to combat this but they have like restaurants/MMOrgies. Its kinda funny because I see my brothers who are 1 generation older than me, they lived by the television when they where teenagers. I see todays use don't see tv because the computer has replaced it as entertainment. I think its more like people are more into the computer as means of entertainment, information and communication unlike older people, Gen Xers. Am I right?

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Videogames are a symptom of problems, not a cause.

That's all it comes down to.

This can be said of all addictions.

It takes many exposures to an addictive drug to develop any kind of chemical dependency. For that much exposure to occur, the habitual use has to precede the actual dependency. This would imply that the addict had a pre-existing psychological issue leading to the frequent drug abuse. Normal healthy happy people don't walk down the street and fall face-first in a pile of cocaine and get hooked.
    moniker wrote:

I would. The DSM does not need a separate category for every single drug. There may be idiosyncratic differences between cocaine addiction and heroin addiction, but the differences in etiology and treatment would not be significant enough to warrant separate disease categories. Likewise, I don't think that every possible addictive behavior warrants a separate diagnostic heading unless there are significant differences in etiology and treatment. A single blanket heading for "Addictive behavioral disorder not involving chemical dependency" should be sufficient to cover both gambling and gaming.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    A single blanket heading for "Addictive behavioral disorder not involving chemical dependency" should be sufficient to cover both gambling and gaming.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    witch_ie wrote: »
    A single blanket heading for "Addictive behavioral disorder not involving chemical dependency" should be sufficient to cover both gambling and gaming.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    witch_ie wrote: »
    A single blanket heading for "Addictive behavioral disorder not involving chemical dependency" should be sufficient to cover any activity you can get addicted to without creating special circumstances for the people able to enjoy at ease. .

zeeny on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really have a problem with big names like Blizzard who derive most of their revenue from making the game more involving and more addicting. It's getting to the point where if you do not throw in a couple hundred hours a month, your going to be nobody in the game. I mean, I cannot blame them because after all, they are a business but I think it is going too far. It's no longer, "hey grats, you beat this dragon." It's "Hey you beat this dragon, but next week we are opening up this new zone with this new dungeon with better gear!"

Probably the only reason why I do not play WoW is because of how much devotion you have to put into it. With other MMO's, like DAoC, they are actually curbing the amount of time it takes to level up, and all the BS you have to go through is like a third of what it once was. This is a better choice because now people with less time on their hands can actually play casually and actually compete!

Also, I'd like to add that addiction to videos games spells something out on the real world. I mean look around, turn on the TV, and you have Iraq War this, Avian Flu that, Mysterious Aztec calendar saying we're all going to die in two weeks. It's no wonder that people are shutting that out and instead living in their own worlds online or playing games. Even things like work in games is better than Real World work. In rune scape, you cut down a tree bye clicking on it, but in real life, you have to physically push the shopping cart around pulling down recalled pet food off the shelf...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    SmellsLikeSmellsLike Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Agree with the liming that gambling and gaming should be in the disease classification.

Gaming seems less harmful than gambling because you could sit at a table and gamble your rent away in one hour. Gaming is slower than that. You might not be able to spend all your rent immediately but it can keep you from uni / work. Eventually you fail uni or lose your job. Then you're stuck in a rut that you can't get out of because you want to grind a bit more.

Who'd want to hire someone that lost their last job due to non-attendance? Also agreed with others that say its more of a stigma due to not being seen as an addiction like gambling is. You can find a gamblers anonymous easily. A gamers anonymous? Don't think so.

SmellsLike on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    I think people with addictive behavior will get hooked on anything, just that games is cheap and easy to get that can feed it. I think in China there is laws now trying to combat this but they have like restaurants/MMOrgies. Its kinda funny because I see my brothers who are 1 generation older than me, they lived by the television when they where teenagers. I see todays use don't see tv because the computer has replaced it as entertainment. I think its more like people are more into the computer as means of entertainment, information and communication unlike older people, Gen Xers. Am I right?

That's the thing though.

If I give someone crack, and they get addicted, would it make sense if I said, in self-defense, "well, Your Honor, he must have an addictive personality! His getting addicted is a symptom of the problem, not a cause!"

ege02 on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm thinking no. It doesn't give the user an altered state of consciousness and it's not a physical dependency.
    An addiction is a recurring compulsion by an individual to engage in an activity that is difficult to discontinue once the individual has commenced the activity. The term is often reserved for the abuse of substances that directly stimulate the brain, but it has been extended recently to also apply to obsessive gambling, eating and other activities. Factors that have been implicated in precipitating an addiction include: genetic, biological/pharmacological and/or social factors.

That's from encyclopedia.com so I guess there's two schools of thought regarding addictions. Maybe we should just be careful to differentiate from a psychological addiction and a drug addiction.

Isn't one of the things that makes MMO so much fun the social factor? So we're sending people away so they can stop hanging out with other people like them from all over their country? I'm guessin some of the older folk don't really understand gamers.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There are a lot of concerns with a downsides of internet usage, mainly because it's really new such a huge fucking environment for addictive behaviours to arise in. People are resistant to adressing any kind of "Internet Addiction" because the Internet is an environment, not an activity, and it's a primarily beneficial and social environment. Online games are getting attention now because there are clear patterns of behaviour and reward that are immediately familiar to addiction specialists.

Feral's right about how it should be defined, but that doesn't really address how it needs to be dealt with. I honestly don't know enough about the whole thing to have a decent opinion. I know China at least has clinics dotted around that specifically deal with anixiety and sleep deprivation symptoms that result from internet usage.

Low Key on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    There are a lot of concerns with a downsides of internet usage, mainly because it's really new such a huge fucking environment for addictive behaviours to arise in. People are resistant to adressing any kind of "Internet Addiction" because the Internet is an environment, not an activity, and it's a primarily beneficial and social environment. Online games are getting attention now because there are clear patterns of behaviour and reward that are immediately familiar to addiction specialists.

Feral's right about how it should be defined, but that doesn't really address how it needs to be dealt with. I honestly don't know enough about the whole thing to have a decent opinion. I know China at least has clinics dotted around that specifically deal with anixiety and sleep deprivation symptoms that result from internet usage.
    It occurs to me though that since the patterns of addiction tend to be rather similar, that non-chemical dependency addictions could be broadly treated through similar programs.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    You ever seen a seriuos WoW player not have access to computer for a few days? :shock: They look a lot like a smoker who wasn't had a puff in 14 hours.

I get like this without internet access... is that on the list?

honest question.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It occurs to me though that since the patterns of addiction tend to be rather similar, that non-chemical dependency addictions could be broadly treated through similar programs.

I think in America there are group counselling programs where nyphomaniacs hang out with over eaters and the internet addicted rub sweaty palms with people who just love to dance.

But I could be wrong.

Low Key on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I find it surprisingly easy to admit that my problem with this isn't in what they are saying, but more that it makes my hobby look bad.

the problem I actually do have with this is simply that games are addicting in a way that many other things can be, and I would rather them all be put in together than to have video games, especially just one particular one, said to be addictive.

edit - which I realize is a problem dealt with in the limed posts above.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

I get like this without internet access... is that on the list?

honest question.

I dunno, I played WoW pretty hardcore for a while and then stopped for 3 months, played once the xpansion came out and now I've stopped playing again.

That's how my friends all have been; they play pretty seriously for a while, stop for a few months when their lives get busy, then start up if they have a lull. We've all pretty much quit for good this time around, since we've been out of college for over a year and our time for gaming has decreased significantly.

Again, I wouldn't lump all serious players together. Lots of serious players aren't addicted so I would be loathe to make such a generalization.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think in America there are group counselling programs where nyphomaniacs hang out with over eaters and the internet addicted rub sweaty palms with people who just love to dance.

Yes, they're called AnimeCon.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CyberpumpkinCyberpumpkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it's unfortunate that insurance companies, in their infinite wisdom, need to put compulsive behaviors under the same heading as medical dependency.

The word "addiction" used to be used to talk about physical dependency on something, like alcohol or tobacco or painkillers or whatever. Stuff that affects the chemistry of your body and has medical side-effects and might have medical withdrawal symptoms.

Then "addiction" came to include psychotic compulsive behaviors like gambling or sexual compulsions.

Now, it looks like people want to put the word "addiction" on anything they like doing enough that they don't really feel like stopping.

Medical insurances do tend to cover this stuff: They're called psychologists, or counselors. They're people who help you get over whatever it is in your life that's making your "addiction" so attractive that you'd rather do that than go to work or feed yourself.

Do I think that video game addiction should have a sexy spokesdoctor like Dr. Drew Pinsky? No. That's what your run-of-the mill, unsexy already-covered-by-insurance counselor is for.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg