As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SANDBOX ON] Second Life

• Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My name in game is Mugenmidget Woodget, if anyone cares to know. Hopefully I'll be with the Fancy Lads soon enough.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My name in game is Mugenmidget Woodget, if anyone cares to know. Hopefully I'll be with the Fancy Lads soon enough.

Thanky for the posty.

@nazlan; A name would be helpful.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    nazlannazlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Natalie Paderborn, good sirs. And after seeing some of the names in this thread, that feels terribly pedestrian...

nazlan on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It crashed on me, and seeing how this chokes my current computer like none other I'll wait until I can install it on my alternate machine.

If I uninstall the application from here, my account will be maintained, right? I don't see why it wouldn't be, I'm just checking.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    nazlan wrote: »
    Natalie Paderborn, good sirs. And after seeing some of the names in this thread, that feels terribly pedestrian...

A fursuit could fix that.... You can go from Boring old Natalie to Natalie, the exotic white cheetah...

I am kidding of course, I have already converted Cat to furrydom. :^:

EDIT: And yes, your account is fine, friend...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

A fursuit could fix that.... You can go from Boring old Natalie to Natalie, the exotic white cheetah...

I really REALLY don't understand furries, at all. What is all the fascination?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'm terrified every second I'm in that Ark place. *shudders*

I actually was kind've relieved when my character locked up.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    ::edit:: Nevermind, I am being given help in game.
    Thanks so much, Cynic!

You're more than welcome.

Sorry I didn't put in the thanks ;) I would have done, but my ability to tie up second life usernames to forum usernames is poor!

If it weren't for you I'd still be wandering around looking like a 3rd rate Guybrush Threepwood.

Incidentally I had a wander around with a friend last night to get adjusted...the first place we ended up, this is what happened:

(NSFW...at all)
    heheheh-1.jpg

That's him, not me.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Good times tonight. I need to find out that location of that dragon castle. I just didn't remeber to mark that location >.> But that was really damned cool. The Escher thing was neat as well.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

They are just really rampant in SL because you can make whatever the hell you want come alive. If your fursona is some Lizard Samurai with a straw hat and a corn-cob pipe, go right ahead and make it and play the damn game... It's just another little subculture people get into I suppose, kind of like Anime and such. Don't get me wrong though, people who run along in fursuits IRL should be re-thinking some of their actions, I put them in the same boat as people who dress up as Goku at gaming conventions.

So far, of all the furries I have met, (and I have met a lot), they all are normal, no baby furs, no orca stacks or anything. It just depends on who you hang around with, I'm sure those weirdos are out there, but I doubt you will find them unless you go looking for them.

Also I want to apologize to you Lads, I haven't been hanging out with ya'll too much the past few days, been busy trying to make money. The signatures are getting there btw, just need to get a few more shots before I am done...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MonniMonni Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I joined the famous rank of the fancy lads today. I go by the name Monni Mannonen. Feel free to contact me, if you want.

Monni on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You mentioned making money as a Furry. How am I supposed to do that? Whore myself out? I jumped on one of those poles last night and no money came my way...

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    You mentioned making money as a Furry. How am I supposed to do that? Whore myself out? I jumped on one of those poles last night and no money came my way...

AHAHAHA... It;s funny because people in the Ark are complaining about jsut that... Contact me in game. It's not for the feint of heart.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love Second Life. Not actually playing it, but for reading all the stories about furries and man sex that takes place in it.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »
    I love Second Life. Not actually playing it, but for reading all the stories about furries and man sex that takes place in it.

I'm all about the robot sex thing. Some starscream on girl action. They do say decepticons come from CYBERtron. ( I know-- terrible joke)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, sorry I missed you all last night, I was at a friend's for the evening.
    I'll most likely be on around 10-ish eastern so if you see me online send me a invite.
    I'm beginning to think this game is replacing my routine of going foruming each night...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, sorry I missed you all last night, I was at a friend's for the evening.
    I'll most likely be on around 10-ish eastern so if you see me online send me a invite.
    I'm beginning to think this game is replacing my routine of going foruming each night...

Yeah, that's pretty much what it has done to the rest of us.

Except me, it's turned me into a full blown furry...

[insert image of Whoops guy, because I cannot find him...]

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »

Man, you should see my calling card list, I have like 200 people on it, in under a week...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where do i obtain this

Second life?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where do i obtain this

Second life?

From the website. On the first page.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's certainly interesting. I am enjoying wandering around, seeing the strange sights and just talking to folks from here. I shall be on again tonight, around 11ish UK time.

I need to learn to check the names list to see whom is who though.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Damn I wish I remembered to take some pictures last night. Some of the highlights included the shemale bondage club with the 5 story solid gold statue, The Incredible Dancing man and the world's smallest sex bed. I also decorated omega's lawn but he was lame and took it all down. :P

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you know, i'm tempted to get in on the free version of this. What sorts of shenanigans to PA folk get up to?
    Pestering furries?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    you know, i'm tempted to get in on the free version of this. What sorts of shenanigans to PA folk get up to?
    Pestering furries?

General foolishness really. We usually end up stumbling on some freaky fetish place and hillarity ensues. The free version is worth checking out, as all you have to do is sign up a user name and download a 30mb client. If it was any more work than that I likely wouldn't have bothered.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So ... whats the aim of the game?

Is there anything that you try to achieve?

Can one player be any better/worse than another?

Afty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Afty wrote: »
    So ... whats the aim of the game?

Alright, just stop right there, it isn't really fair to call it a game, no winners or losers, no standings, or anything. To get the best picture of the "game", just think if all of a sudden, the PA forums were in 3d and you walk around in the world, interacting with things, that's pretty much all it is, just a virtual world of people and stuff.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think calling it a game is kind of misleading. It's more of a giant sandbox. There are games in it that people create, some are cool some are stupid. If you're expecting a polished experience you'll be disappointed.

To me it's more of a social experiment. It's really funny to see what people come up with when given the tools and left to create whatever. I think it's the absurdity of it that is so entertaining. It's like something out of your most fucked up dream or nightmare. Seeing spiderman get milked by a machine while shemales dance around human toilets is always good for a laugh. You need to have a sense of humor though because you will probably see some of the most disturbing shit ever.

edit: lol speeling

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    from the sounds of it Cynic, you left out the parts where people act out unspeakable obscene acts in a variety of ways.

But yes, i might grab the client tonight to get up to all sorts of shenanigans with you folk. I'll probably be looking for more instruction later

edit: i'm aware of the user-created side of things, but is that available to free accounts, and how exactly does it work? I'm assuming it's more complex than built-in tools in the game that you use.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    nazlannazlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To me it's more of a social experiment. It's really funny to see what people come up with when given the tools and left to create whatever. I think it's the absurdity of it that is so entertaining. It's like something out of your most fucked up dream or nightmare. Seeing spiderman get milked by a machine while shales dance around human toilets is always good for a laugh. You need to have a sense of humor though because you will probably see some of the most disturbing shit ever.p

Yep, that about sums it up. Basically SL is a virtual platform in which people are free to do anything they can imagine. People being people, they come up with some fucked up stuff. It's a really good way to meet people and be creative, but calling it a game is misleading.

nazlan on
  • Options
    Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it possible to make my avatar a cloud?

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Your avatar could be a walking butt that spews poop if you wanted and nobody would really look twice. I am sure a cloud would be really easy to model.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »

Your avatar could be a walking butt that spews poop if you wanted and nobody would really look twice. I am sure a cloud would be really easy to model.

I have no idea what I'm doing and all I want to do is look like a giant floating purple cloud.

My purple goblin AV keeps getting me kicked out of places.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    yeah, someone explain to me how you'd go about creating your own avatar for this?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, my username is Hypno Control, in case anyone wants to get together and try to find something to do.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I could model one but it wouldn't be animated or anything. That's a bit out of my range. The way I get most of my stuff is by keeping my eyes open for something I want and going to various freebie places and shops. If you really want one and don't mind paying you can check out SL exchange.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    yeah, someone explain to me how you'd go about creating your own avatar for this?

It depends how much customization you're looking for. An easy way to do it like a fur suit or whatever is to model each part, the head tail paws etc as objects, and attach them to parts of a stock body. That way you don't have to actually animate anything. You can also make your own stock shirts and pants easily by drawing a texture and uploading it to SL. they have templates for this on the SL site.

If you're looking for total customization I'm not really sure, but I think you need to do the animation in poser or another program and import it as a script to SL (Which costs money). I am useless at scripting though so I'm not the one to ask.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    firstly, fur suit = no.

I've got some 3d modelling experience and stuff (nothing special), and could use blender for making things if i had to, but i was wondering if SL itself comes with tools for some moderate tinkering. Not that i'm overly bothered one way or the other, just finding out the scope of it for those of us that want to mooch rather than pay.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That was just an example, it works the same way you'd put on a mascot costume in real life. You stick the head overtop of your own, same deal in SL. There's a basic model underneath. Storm trooper costumes, transformer avatars etc all function pretty much the same way.

You can't model stuff and import it, everything has to be modelled in SL. I /think/ there is an addon for wings that lets you import sculpted prims but beyond that I don't know. The in game modelling tools are really basic and I am amazed people get things to look as good as they do.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    That was just an example, it works the same way you'd put on a mascot costume in real life. You stick the head overtop of your own, same deal in SL. There's a basic model underneath. Storm trooper costumes, transformer avatars etc all function pretty much the same way.

You can't model stuff and import it, everything has to be modelled in SL. I /think/ there is an addon for wings that lets you import sculpted prims but beyond that I don't know. The in game modelling tools are really basic and I am amazed people get things to look as good as they do.

hah, i figured it was, no worries. And to be honest, i'd rather be using their own tools than something else, since i'd likely save in a funny format or not get something right, and spend forever screwing around with it to make it work. With their tools, you know where you stand. Cool, guess i'll be looking to hang out with you folk later.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah it's refreshing to not have to screw around with the formats to get things working. Despite the basic functionality it's actually pretty intuitive. So far I've made a shirt, a devo hat, a top hat, a monocle and a siren hat that twirls and lights up. I wish scripting was easier then I'd make some crazy stuff.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.