As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Employee Lounge - where-in we discuss awful customers AND co-workers

• Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So today I am returning my first checked out game to the store, since I am going in anyway to pick up my new DS. The thing is, since I've only worked Sunday so far, chances are good that the folks working the evening shift today may not actually know I am an employee of the store.

I expect wacky comedy hijinks.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Qorzm wrote: »
    I currently work at Gamestop. The best part about it is the discount, which is only a small 15%. The pay and the job itself are both really shitty. I also get 25% off at Barnes and Noble and I was wondering if working there would be a good idea. I would also get the discount at Gamestop, with an easier job (perhaps) and a higher pay. Anyone know anything about Barnes and Noble?

How does the B&N discount work? Since I'm a rehire from 2.5 years ago, and I was with EB back then, I don't have an actual employee number (I've heard precedent for this, even in my own store.) Do I need to get one before I can use the B&N discount, or is there some other thing I do? If it is secret, then PM me, please.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Did you get that fucker's license plate, KiTA?

No, I got up and got out of there. I was rather dazed at that point. I mean christ, that's the closest I've ever come to dying. Seriously, if I had paused for even a half second, I would have been a greasy smear on the ground.

According to about half the people I asked, the whole "Driver / Pedestrian accident is ALWAYS the driver's fault" thing doesn't apply if you're Jaywalking, which technically speaking I was.

No, it applies.

That's why it is ALWAYS.

It is illegal to hit a pedestrian with your car. Pure and simple. You might have injuries as a result of all of this that only present themselves later. You really should have gotten the guys info.

Evander on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *Bitchy finance girl*

I think it must be a rule that any girl working in finance or as a receptionist has to be an utter snob. Obsessive/Compulsive, and/or Bi-Polar disorders are preferred qualities in such workers. Also, kids prone to illness or legal dispute.

I was almost the receptionist where I work, since the previous woman got pregnant and left, but they decided they had to hire someone who missed more days in her first 6 months here than I have in my entire 3 years+ employment as a temporary. I must not have met the bitchy/fussy/unreliable quota for the job.

Ironically, I have gotten more recognition for my work before and after the stint as receptionist than I did during. (When I was doing a lot more work, getting a lot more done, screwing around a lot less and pulling overtime/coming in at 5am saturday to scan inventory/doing all of the inventory paperwork.) It's almost like I was being punished for finally applying myself, which I am now finding difficult to try again.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    We've had like.. four people come into our store asking about a game for the Wii that involves "disc golf"... Wtf?

Super Monkey Ball does, in fact, have disc golf

lessthanpi on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *Bitchy finance girl*

I think it must be a rule that any girl working in finance or as a receptionist has to be an utter snob. Obsessive/Compulsive, and/or Bi-Polar disorders are preferred qualities in such workers. Also, kids prone to illness or legal dispute.

I was almost the receptionist where I work, since the previous woman got pregnant and left, but they decided they had to hire someone who missed more days in her first 6 months here than I have in my entire 3 years+ employment as a temporary. I must not have met the bitchy/fussy/unreliable quota for the job.

Ironically, I have gotten more recognition for my work before and after the stint as receptionist than I did during. (When I was doing a lot more work, getting a lot more done, screwing around a lot less and pulling overtime/coming in at 5am saturday to scan inventory/doing all of the inventory paperwork.) It's almost like I was being punished for finally applying myself, which I am now finding difficult to try again.

Yea, its so much fun though when something horrible happens in their life (husband leaving them or it turns out they are an alcoholic), because their breakdowns are always epic and overly emotional. You can just sit down and enjoy the show.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    *Bitchy finance girl*

Yea, its so much fun though when something horrible happens in their life (husband leaving them or it turns out they are an alcoholic), because their breakdowns are always epic and overly emotional. You can just sit down and enjoy the show.
    yeah i think this post might be just a bit too far. being angry at a bitchy/lazy coworker is one thing. reveling in their pain is just...wow. Seriously, 'enjoy the show' of them going through a divorce or suffering from alcoholism? I really hope it's just my sarcasm-o-meter acting up on this one.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    *Bitchy finance girl*

yeah i think this post might be just a bit too far. being angry at a bitchy/lazy coworker is one thing. reveling in their pain is just...wow. Seriously, 'enjoy the show' of them going through a divorce or suffering from alcoholism? I really hope it's just my sarcasm-o-meter acting up on this one.

I think that maybe I worded this wrong. I said the above because those type of people (at least 99% of the people that I deal with) walk around like their shit doesn't stink and they are above the average person, and when something bad happens they become humanized all the sudden.

I didn't mean to say that I was happy about 'divorce or alcoholism', theres just no way me as a self respecting human being could really be happy over something like that. I was just making a comment on how funny their breakdowns are because they tend to blow them out of proportion and be completely melodramatic . ;-)

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    *Bitchy finance girl*

oh, come on

can you honestly claim to be ENTIRELY innocent of schadenfreude in your life?

It might not be a GOOD way to react, but when something bad happens to some one you don't like, are you honestly just as upset as when somethingbad happens to some one you do like? Haven't you ever at least wished for something bad to happen to some one you didn't like?

As long as you aren't doing anything to make things worse, I don't think it's really that awful behavior. It may not be good, but its harmless.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    *Bitchy finance girl*

oh, come on

It might not be a GOOD way to react, but when something bad happens to some one you don't like, are you honestly just as upset as when somethingbad happens to some one you do like? Haven't you ever at least wished for something bad to happen to some one you didn't like?

As long as you aren't doing anything to make things worse, I don't think it's really that awful behavior. It may not be good, but its harmless.

I mean yea I might wish that someone get fiery ciphallis (I know that spelling is atrocious). But I can't really revel and take joy in someone else's sorrow even if I did want to, but I can sure laugh at the melodramatics :lol:!

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know I revel in the pain of those I hate.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    heh

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    oh, come on

it was probably his examples more than anything. no, i certainly have never and would never take pleasure in someone's divorce or alcoholism, for example. generally speaking, im happy when someone goes through something that 'teaches them a lesson', but i do my best not to engage in the petty, spiteful sort of joy ive seen some people get from actually bad things. not real big on schadenfreude in general, myself

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    "doing your best not to engage in" implies that you DO engage in it, you just try to avoid it when possible

it really is something of an instictual reaction. Humans are rather competitive in nature, so when your competitor hits a set-back, you feel a boost from it.

To claim that you've never taken any ammount of satisfaction from something negative befalling some one else, even if you were immediately disgusted by yourself, or to claim that you've never wished ill on anyone, even in the midst of a passionate moment of rage, either you're a sociopath, or a liar.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    "doing your best not to engage in" implies that you DO engage in it, you just try to avoid it when possible

it really is something of an instictual reaction. Humans are rather competitive in nature, so when your competitor hits a set-back, you feel a boost from it.

To claim that you've never taken any ammount of satisfaction from something negative befalling some one else, even if you were immediately disgusted by yourself, or to claim that you've never wished ill on anyone, even in the midst of a passionate moment of rage, either you're a sociopath, or a liar.
    it's a good thing i didn't claim either of those things, then.

although, i haven't had any sort of 'competitors' since college, and back then the most i hoped for was they'd say something stupid while giving a speech or something. i don't really spend a lot of time thinking about other people and their problems in the first place unless they're someone i actually care about.

i am a hell of a liar, though, and i wouldnt be surprised if i had a touch of the sociopath.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Speaking of Finance girls, girl from my work logs a priority 2 call today because her mouse isn't working. Bear in mind that 2 is saved for when lectures aren't happening because of tech failure. Nontheless, I rush there with a new mouse in hand.

I hand it to her, head back to the office. Get a call just as I get to my desk "actually I need a USB one"

So I go there again with a USB one, and this time take her broken one back.

Nothing wrong with it. At all.

My manager sent an email out to all staff reminding people what priority should be used for what when using self-service (our intranet problem logger)

Edit: Just because it sin't clear: I work at a uni,and I handle theupgrades and replacements, so now is busy season beyond words for me.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

it's a good thing i didn't claim either of those things, then.

although, i haven't had any sort of 'competitors' since college, and back then the most i hoped for was they'd say something stupid while giving a speech or something. i don't really spend a lot of time thinking about other people and their problems in the first place unless they're someone i actually care about.

i am a hell of a liar, though, and i wouldnt be surprised if i had a touch of the sociopath.

Oh, I don't tend to deal with anyone I don't care about, either, since I think it's a waste of time to worry about that stuff. But still, when I hear in the news that Jack Thompson has gotten in trouble with the Florida Bar association again, I can't help it if I smile.

And I've had an interesting fascination with Sociopaths for a while. Maybe it is just because I feel so passionately about so many things, but the idea of sociopathic-ness really seems interesting to me.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I don't tend to deal with anyone I don't care about, either, since I think it's a waste of time to worry about that stuff. But still, when I hear in the news that Jack Thompson has gotten in trouble with the Florida Bar association again, I can't help it if I smile.
    I would probably smile too, but more because I see it as a punishment he deserves. Now if, say, his kid were assaulted and the bullies blamed it on video games, I think there's a fair number of people who would get joy from that, but I never could.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I would probably smile too, but more because I see it as a punishment he deserves. Now if, say, his kid were assaulted and the bullies blamed it on video games, I think there's a fair number of people who would get joy from that, but I never could.

I guess its all about perception. JT get in trouble with Florida Bar association, we smile because he seeks to misrepresent and destroy what we love (awesome video games). People who smile at the kid getting assaulted and the bullies blaming video games see it as a spring board to denounce the "evils" of video games.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    one time I had to be hired through a temp agency in order to work an internship, because the HR department was sitting on the paperwork, and when some one tried to encourage them to speed the process along (I still wasn't on the payroll by the time my first day came around) they claimed discrimination, saying that they were being unfairly intimidated because they were black. Lazy fucks.

So, I had to be hired through a temp agency (Manpower) in order to actually be able to get paid for my time. I was paid the exactsame hourly rate, only the company had to pay out to manpower too, all because HR didn't feel like doing their job. What a waste of money.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I see it as a punishment he deserves.

But feeling a sense of justice is difference from deriving joy from it.

I'm just pointing out that the behavior you're condemning is a natural one. I'm not saying being natural makes it good, justthat, because it is natural, and it is also harmless, it is maybe not as bad as you seemed to react to it for being.

Evander on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm just pointing out that the behavior you're condemning is a natural one. I'm not saying being natural makes it good, justthat, because it is natural, and it is also harmless, it is maybe not as bad as you seemed to react to it for being.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the death penalty?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

It depends, I wouldn't feel its right for a person to be executed because they fell asleep at the wheel and killed somebody, or a person was scared that a past/present significant other was going to kill them so they retaliated. I think that it should be reserved for the worst criminals like serial killers, child rapists, etc. Those bastards imo should be expunged from the earth.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm against it, personally, but only for the reason that you could kill an innocent by mistake. If justice was flawless, then, fry the rapists, serial killers, child kidnappers, etc.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

It depends, I wouldn't feel its right for a person to be executed because they fell asleep at the wheel and killed somebody, or a person was scared that a past/present significant other was going to kill them so they retaliated. I think that it should be reserved for the worst criminals like serial killers, child rapists, etc. Those bastards imo should be expunged from the earth.

You're right it does. And it's a tough subject, and I'm sorry for bringing it up. I watched Penn and Teller's Bullshit last night that had the episode of the Death Penalty.

That show seems to sway me towards their point of view.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

100% against it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

I'm against it, personally, but only for the reason that you could kill an innocent by mistake. If justice was flawless, then, fry the rapists, serial killers, child kidnappers, etc.

Yep.

Apparently 25 out of 1000 criminals on death row are found innocent at a later date. Whether or not its after the deed is done is another question.

Also: I don't feel comfortable with our government telling us who they can and cannot kill. You know how shady lawyers are to get a win. They'd do anything, even lie.

But I digress.. That topic is for another thread and I'm sorry for derailing it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

100% against it.

Good man. I can always tell by the way you talk (err type?).

CONTINUE WITH LAME EMPLOYEES AND SUCH.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Who are we to kill them, though? I am not defending their actions, but what makes state-sanctioned killing any different from a civilian vigilante murderer?

I don't think it is right to take away the life of another human being.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    For the record, the only thing i was 'condemning' (which is a much stronger term than what I would use) was this line:
    If I sound holier-than-thou for saying it's kind of shitty to enjoy when horrible things happen to other people, like divorce or alchoholism, so be it. Since that post, of course, he clarified what he meant and I haven't hounded him for it. Human nature or not, if someone does feel that way, it's a compulsion worth trying to control, as it almost certainly bleeds over into the way you treat people and interact with the world at large. That's all I was saying.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I currently work at Gamestop. The best part about it is the discount, which is only a small 15%. The pay and the job itself are both really shitty. I also get 25% off at Barnes and Noble and I was wondering if working there would be a good idea. I would also get the discount at Gamestop, with an easier job (perhaps) and a higher pay. Anyone know anything about Barnes and Noble?

If you gotta work retail, I recommend book stores. I used to work for Crown Books, not Barnes and Noble, but I enjoyed it. There's usually a nice balance between working the registers and stocking the shelves (which as a bibliophile I found either meditative, instructive, or amusing, depending on the section). You still have some idiot/annoying customers, but you get a higher percentage of polite/interesting/intelligent folks. Your co-workers and managers will probably be a bit eccentric, but usually in a good way.

Oh, and there won't be any more Harry Potters, so it's a good time to start. Man I'm glad I wasn't at the book store during the Potter craze.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Any recommendations for my future application and possible interview?
    How does the B&N discount work? Since I'm a rehire from 2.5 years ago, and I was with EB back then, I don't have an actual employee number (I've heard precedent for this, even in my own store.) Do I need to get one before I can use the B&N discount, or is there some other thing I do? If it is secret, then PM me, please.

With B&N, you just need to bring a paycheck and a valid ID. They don't need your EBstop numbers, but they sometimes ask for your social security numbers.

Also, you get 50% off the Starbucks that are sometimes inside B&N. And during the holiday season, for like a week or so you get 45% off at B&N.

Qorzm on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    For the record, the only thing i was 'condemning' (which is a much stronger term than what I would use) was this line:
    If I sound holier-than-thou for saying it's kind of shitty to enjoy when horrible things happen to other people, like divorce or alchoholism, so be it. Since that post, of course, he clarified what he meant and I haven't hounded him for it. Human nature or not, if someone does feel that way, it's a compulsion worth trying to control, as it almost certainly bleeds over into the way you treat people and interact with the world at large. That's all I was saying.

I understand. It was mostly the holier-than-thou thing that I was pointing out, butif you're aware of it, and don't care, then that's cool.

I was just saying that it is natural to feel that way, and that as long as you don't cause negative situation in order to revel in them, it is aharmless behavior.

Evander on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

If you gotta work retail, I recommend book stores. I used to work for Crown Books, not Barnes and Noble, but I enjoyed it. There's usually a nice balance between working the registers and stocking the shelves (which as a bibliophile I found either meditative, instructive, or amusing, depending on the section). You still have some idiot/annoying customers, but you get a higher percentage of polite/interesting/intelligent folks. Your co-workers and managers will probably be a bit eccentric, but usually in a good way.

Oh, and there won't be any more Harry Potters, so it's a good time to start. Man I'm glad I wasn't at the book store during the Potter craze.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Any recommendations for my future application and possible interview?

With B&N, you just need to bring a paycheck and a valid ID. They don't need your EBstop numbers, but they sometimes ask for your social security numbers.

Also, you get 50% off the Starbucks that are sometimes inside B&N. And during the holiday season, for like a week or so you get 45% off at B&N.

I would be willing to work at a B&N based on the idea that people who are inclined to read in their spare time are more intelligent. Therefore the customer base should have a higher average IQ.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So. Like. My summer internship ends tomorrow. I haven't really done any work last week, nor have I this week. I kind of feel bad, since the people here are nice and seem to think I do a good job. But I'm just tuned out. Am I a bad person?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nocren wrote: »

I would be willing to work at a B&N based on the idea that people who are inclined to read in their spare time are more intelligent. Therefore the customer base should have a higher average IQ.

You'll think that until you get the customer that comes in asking for "that book that was out recently...it was yellow".

Ashaman42 on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »

You'll think that until you get the customer that comes in asking for "that book that was out recently...it was yellow".

already had that kind of question at blockbuster "Do you have that one movie that was released this week? Maybe it was last week..."

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Please, customers, stop lying to me. Its Costco. We don't care if you took the cell phone out back, shot at it, smashed it with a hammer, whatever! We'll take it back within 90 days!

Just, stop telling me that it 'just stopped working' or that 'you have no idea how it got wet.' Its a fragile piece of plastic and electronics, broken easily by dropping, being anywhere near a source of moisture, or letting your kid chew on the charging port.

Anyway, I work at a cell phone kiosk in Costco. In truth, its a pretty sweet job, but it seems like any position where you have to interact with customers will have its nightmarish days. Its also interesting to see how defensive people are around salespeople in general.

Sepah on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yep.

Apparently 25 out of 1000 criminals on death row are found innocent at a later date. Whether or not its after the deed is done is another question.

I'm pretty sure it's much higher than that...

KiTA on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    So, today was my first full day in a call center environment. I did okay, but it really is a job where I have to shut my brain off. Ugh.

The pay and benefits are wonderful, but on the other hand, phonecalls.

Welcome to the machine. What town are you in, btw?

Oklahoma City. Woo woo, Consumer Sales for the win!

My goal is to bust my ass, and be off of phone sales within 12 months. :lol:

Since I grew up in Norman, I'm compelled to ask if you work for -the cable company-. I put in 5 months with -the cable company- in their tech support call center in Oklahoma City. The pay and benefits were great, but on the other hand... phone calls.

*Edited for syntax

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sepah wrote: »
    Anyway, I work at a cell phone kiosk in Costco. In truth, its a pretty sweet job, but it seems like any position where you have to interact with customers will have its nightmarish days. Its also interesting to see how defensive people are around salespeople in general.

It depends on which salesperson you are. There is the "I'm here to the side if you have any questions" kind, and the "I know you said you're just looking but I'm going to keep telling you about the deals and the bestest phone we have why haven't you bought the phone yet hey why are leaving what's your problem asshole?"

Also add to it that people are scared to death to interact with people face to face these days (passive aggressive for the loss), and they would rather just avoid being around salespeople in general than being weak willed and saying "no" to people.

TexiKen on