As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerdy stand-up

• Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, yeah, the dinosaur part was funny as hell. The World of Warcraft one could have been a lot funnier, but the descriptions of each item were too long, so I got lost. And I can't believe you didn't choose "Large Brown Sack"

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "Big bear bone"

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    LumasLumas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Haha, dude you kick ass! I've always wanted to do nerd stand-up. You're an inspiration!

"YOU WILL RAPE A METAL LIZARD MAGMA STERNUM MAUSOLEUM"

Lumas on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nice stuff, really. I do agree you cuss a bit much, and are a bit loud for my tastes, but the material was really good(The BS:G and Lost thing didn't catch me until you related it to SMB:2, then it was great).

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I didn't really catch the BS:G and Lost jokes either. Not that I haven't seen the shows, but they require a memory of specific episodes that don't really ring a bell off the top of my head.

I know we are all kinda critiquing your stuff, but take it as positive feedback, cause we all really loved the gig overall!

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I gotta say, I got the Lost jokes just fine and I've never seen the show. I think because the Hollywood media was so saturated with those plot lines for a while that they got stuck in my head. I loved the stuff on Super Mario 2 and Birdo.

I don't have a myspace, but if you get a YouTube account I'll be sure to look out for you there.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    direnerddirenerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I do indeed have a Youtube account. I even chop the set down there into separate clips!

http://www.youtube.com/direnerd

Subscribe over there too, why dontcha. I occasionally put up other stuff, like my friends' stand-up clips who aren't Youtube savvy, or me in my living room ranting about LOST at 2AM for a discussion on a comedy message board. :)

RE: The WOW items... You'd pick Big Brown Sack over Demon Kissed Sack? To each his own!

direnerd on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    At least the "taint" got a mention. That one's a no brainer.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I came pretty close to coming this year, but a family emergency has taken precedence and my funds must be diverted. I'll be performing in Chicago this weekend instead, so have fun guys! If the music stages look like they could use a comic in between or before to warm up the crowd, make sure to tell someone! :)

Thanks for being awesome in this thread. If you'd like to see some of my less nerdy material, I've uploaded a couple more clips to my MySpace and Youtube accounts, respectively. I'm wearing a tie and everything.

http://www.myspace.com/telferdan
    http://www.youtube.com/direnerd

Also, I'm now performing regularly at Chicago Underground Comedy, so keep an eye out for me here:

www.chicagoundergroundcomedy.com

..and make sure to stop by any Tuesday you're in Chicago. I'm co-producing the show, so even if I'm not in the official lineup on a given night, I'll probably be there.

direnerd on
  • Options
    MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i loved the guitar hero bit

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    MellzahMellzah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    direnerd wrote: »
    Hey guys, y'all should watch this:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2038179463

Can you see me fulfilling my dream of having Gabe and Tycho fly me out to do a set at PAX? That would be so awesome! I hope you agree.

Sorry if this is incredibly lame and I should have posted in another forum! Whee! I just loves me the Penny Arcade and the nerdery.

I approached them about the same thing last year--now that there are two of us, maybe we can convince them to include comedy for next year. :)

Mellzah on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    After a long day of writing boring ass game news stories...Christ, you killed me. I have not shot out Dr. Pepper from my nose since like the 5th grade. Good times...it burns...fucker. :)

etoychest on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mellzah wrote: »
    Hey guys, y'all should watch this:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2038179463

Can you see me fulfilling my dream of having Gabe and Tycho fly me out to do a set at PAX? That would be so awesome! I hope you agree.

Sorry if this is incredibly lame and I should have posted in another forum! Whee! I just loves me the Penny Arcade and the nerdery.

I approached them about the same thing last year--now that there are two of us, maybe we can convince them to include comedy for next year. :)

You must give us an example of your routine...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I agree! Make with the posting and the funnies!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    MellzahMellzah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't have a video camera, unfortunately! It's on my to-purchase list. :) However, you could come and see me pretty much any Tuesday at Laughs in Kirkland.... </shameless self-promotion>

Mellzah on
  • Options
    Buck-OBuck-O Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    I don't have a video camera, unfortunately! It's on my to-purchase list. :) However, you could come and see me pretty much any Tuesday at Laughs in Kirkland.... </shameless self-promotion>

Kirkland, what in gods name are you doing all teh way out there.

That being said, i might have to come and heckle you.

Buck-O on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mellzah, a bunch of my clips are just on my Sony Cybershot still camera. A lot of digital cameras will let you capture film now, and with a 1GB memory stick you can get about 15 minutes of material! It's grainy but the sound is surprisingly good.

If you ever get a clip online via MySpace, Youtube, or whatever please PM me so I can see it. I loves me nerd humor.

direnerd on
  • Options
    teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Go to the Nerdcore night open mic
    http://www.nwnerdcore.com/?p=96

teamquiggan on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Buck-O wrote: »

Kirkland, what in gods name are you doing all teh way out there.

That being said, i might have to come and heckle you.

I agree. Let the heckling commence!

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Go to the Nerdcore night open mic
    http://www.nwnerdcore.com/?p=96

Oy, I wish they had stuff like this within 1,000 miles of me!

direnerd on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If you're in Chicago next weekend:

scifistandup_web.jpg

The weekend after that I have a show where I'll be in zombie garb doing an all-zombie set. I hope to tape both shows.

More details on my MySpace page.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I'll probably harrass G&T with a DVD of my stuff.

direnerd on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Even cooler news, I was just made a finalist in Time Out Chicago's Funniest Person competition. Come by on Sunday if you live around here, I promise to nerd it up. It's a huge show and the other finalists are awesome.

direnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    PAX 2008 is just around the corner!

I took 3rd place in the Time Out Chicago contest. It was a pretty awesome time, and I won it with jokes about dinosaurs and montotremes.

Here's a set I did recently at a Burlesque show that deals with nerdy, but not necessarily video game material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erz4GkF73-E

Thanks for all the attention you guys! I hope somehow this happens.

direnerd on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meh.

I think stand up at PAX is too kitschy. I think a better idea would be to have a PAX Open Mic session, where people can sign up to read their poetry, do acts, or whatever.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meh.

I think stand up at PAX is too kitschy. I think a better idea would be to have a PAX Open Mic session, where people can sign up to read their poetry, do acts, or whatever.

? huh? Geek stand-up comedy it too kitschy? Then what is a sweaty guy reading "My Love Note to Nariko" or a group of more sweaty guys acting out their WOW quest they did the night before?O_o

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Meh.

? huh? Geek stand-up comedy it too kitschy? Then what is a sweaty guy reading "My Love Note to Nariko" or a group of more sweaty guys acting out their WOW quest they did the night before?O_o

*shrug* I dunno. The latter seems more...honest. A group of fans doing something as part of the subculture to share their love for it is cool. A professional comedian trolling for a spot at PAX seems like just that - trolling. This thread is like one big ad campaign, like he's running for Nerd Prom King or something and is trying to get out the vote from the masses rather than approaching the organizers like a real entertainer would. Or, if not officially at PAX, put together his own show in the area.

It's okay if others don't agree. I'm just sharing my point of view.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Eh, I emailed the organizers with no response. Since I'm not nationally famous I don't have a booking agent who can get "the right phone number" or anything.

An open mic would be a lot more work for the organizers, too. It's not a bad idea- hell, I am asking for the same thing except I'm saying I have enough material tested and prepared to go the whole time. If you just let anyone from the community up it would be "honest", but as someone who has seen 12 years worth of that kind of thing it might get hard to watch after a while. I could sustain a crowd, or I wouldn't bother.

Sorry if I seem disingenuous to anyone. I'm not trying to make a quick buck or anything- I could give a shit how much a gig like this would pay. I don't do stand-up for money, I do it because it's my calling and I love it. I've performed for a sci-fi show and it was such a blast to write and perform material for that kind of audience. I really love this community. I wouldn't bother with this thread otherwise. If this seems cheap to you I suppose it's possible that stand-up just isn't your kind of thing and open mic aside you'd prefer the Mini-Bosses- I have no less love for the community than any of you and would sure as hell like to see the Mini-Bosses. Stand-up takes a lot of work to make good and I wouldn't bother you guys if I didn't think I could go up there and give you a good time. I think a lot of people would really like my stuff.

I've gotten a ton of great messages from people because I posted this thread. If I don't get booked I'm just glad I could find some fans. I'd have just posted this in a General PA forum, but I think because this stuff is best live it would be a great chance to reach a bunch of like-minded people. Again, not for a cheap reason but because I love it. Thanks regardless for letting me run it by you all! For reals.

direnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Meh.

Why does everyone have to be sweaty? :P Srsly, deodorant and a shower work wonders, even for the sweatiest WOW players.

Liger on
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    An open mic would be horrible... just look at what 30% of the people do with their time at the mic during the Q&A sessions to understand why.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I should have been more specific. It would be a nervous sweat for the first guy. The second group would be experiencing an excited sweat because they are finally getting to share their craft (heh, pun) to the masses.

That, and i was just being a sarcastic, smart ass.:P

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As was I. Although deodorant is a serious issue. I personally think that if a deodorant company were to invest in putting a travel-size stick in all the swag bags, they'd make a lot of money.

Sarcasm tends to fail on the internet sometimes. XD D'oh!

Liger on
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I plan on stocking up on AXE and bringing a backpack with AXE spraypainted on it or what not, and shamelessly offer uses of my cans to those that I believe need it =)

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ummm... Axe isn't that much better. At least not in large quantities. You know the ads where the women follow the scent trail from the can? Yeeaaahhh... that's a total lie.

Liger on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Axe is shitty, it stinks worse than most BO. Espically when the 2 are mixed.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Agreed. I'd rather smell the BO than the Axe.

Snickers on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, my roommate got some and for some reason felt the need to spray some. One quick burst stunk up our living room for at least a half hour even with the front door open.

I don't even want to imagine that times 40-60,000.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    k-straight up deoderant then, lol. whatever makes people not smell.

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow that was awesome. Thanks for posting that sir! You're really good at what you do. Few people can pull off the word "fuckin" like you do, and every time you start going on a tangent I start laughing.

Keep up the good work sir. :) I'll be sure my friends check you out. There needs to be more nerdy comedy, that's a definite untapped resource.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of tangents, Mass Effect giving me an Unreadable Disk Error? I logged 30 hours on that game, I could write an entire set based on that tragedy alone.

direnerd on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of tangents, Mass Effect giving me an Unreadable Disk Error? I logged 30 hours on that game, I could write an entire set based on that tragedy alone.

Had that EXACT same issue. Exchange it at wal*mart, and it'll work. At least for me it did. :)

urahonky on
This discussion has been closed.