Wii Artifacting Problem

kj01kj01 Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
I've read some stories of people having problems with little irregular pixels hindering the picture on their Wii games, and I've now come to accept that my Wii has the same problem. It happens on varying levels of severity -- for instance, the Wii channels, like Forecast, News, Mii and Everybody Votes have little to no artifacting at all. Virtual Console games have some to many. And just recently, I borrowed a friend's Rayman Raving Rabbids, and the problem is quite severe.

My question is, has anyone sent their Wii in to be repaired because of this? Do they actually repair it or send a new Wii entirely?

Finally, I've noticed some audio glitches when playing games on the Wii... does anyone else? It could just be a faulty speaker cable... or bad connection... I don't know.

kj01 on

• thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I sent in my Wii for artifacting issues. I believe they send you a "new" Wii since my replacement has a different serial number on it. They were nice enough to transfer all the data from the old Wii to the "new" Wii. All I had to do was re-download all my VC downloads. Only saying "new" because it could be refurbished for all I know.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd ask you to be more specific about what you mean by "artifacting", but since it's more severe in games than on menus, it's safe to say that the Wii is toast. I've not heard of sound problems but if it has been overheating chronically, the audio chip could have been affected, who knows. I'd suggest sending the Wii back to Nintendo. They'll replace it for free and transfer all your data.

Some people will come in here and say that on your new Wii, you should leave WiiConnect24 off in the future as a preventative measure. I will contradict that advice and say that on a properly functioning console, WiiConnect24 should only leave the console slightly warm, not with any level of heat that could possibly damage components. I will advise you, however, to put the Wii in its vertical stand. The left/underside seems to have some sort of heat sink attached to the case there and increased airflow on that surface from keeping it vertical is probably a good thing when the console is on or in standby.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I personally can account that I can't imagine it being WiiConnect either. I have had my Wii since Day 1 and WiiConnect has been on since then too. I have had no issues what so ever but it could also be due to people maybe moving their Wii's from room to room.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are you using component cables or composite / svideo cables?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd ask you to be more specific about what you mean by "artifacting", but since it's more severe in games than on menus, it's safe to say that the Wii is toast. I've not heard of sound problems but if it has been overheating chronically, the audio chip could have been affected, who knows. I'd suggest sending the Wii back to Nintendo. They'll replace it for free and transfer all your data.

Some people will come in here and say that on your new Wii, you should leave WiiConnect24 off in the future as a preventative measure. I will contradict that advice and say that on a properly functioning console, WiiConnect24 should only leave the console slightly warm, not with any level of heat that could possibly damage components. I will advise you, however, to put the Wii in its vertical stand. The left/underside seems to have some sort of heat sink attached to the case there and increased airflow on that surface from keeping it vertical is probably a good thing when the console is on or in standby.

Lime'd for truth.

I've had my Wii with WiiConnect24 enabled for months now, and not a single problem. It does get a little warm, but certainly not warm enough to damage anything.

Do run it vertical, however. There is not enough clearance under the Wii in it's horizontal position for proper cooling.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why is it that running horizontal leaves less room for cooling?

I mean, the vents are on the back and bottom, right, so running horizontally leaves those open to the fresh air, whereas running vertically has the bottom vent shooting down and out through the console stand, as opposed to straight out into the open air..?

Well, whatever the case, a person with artifacting could at least try turning off WC24 and see if it helps. Or just call N and have them replace it.

Back when I used to run WC24, my system got reasonably warm, but certainly not hot. I turned it off just in case.

slash000 on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How warm is "a little warm"?

My new console gets up to around 100F. The old one got around there, too.

HadjiQuest on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

I mean, the vents are on the back and bottom, right, so running horizontally leaves those open to the fresh air, whereas running vertically has the bottom vent shooting down and out through the console stand, as opposed to straight out into the open air..?

Well, whatever the case, a person with artifacting could at least try turning off WC24 and see if it helps. Or just call N and have them replace it.

Back when I used to run WC24, my system got reasonably warm, but certainly not hot. I turned it off just in case.

Because the clearance on the bottom of the console when running horizontally is like 1mm, the fans aren't enough to counteract that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Because the side against the floor/counter/whatever gets way less air circulation, further insulating the Wii. Good point about the vent though.

I had had wiiconnect on for several months but now I usually power down to red via holding in the face button, just in case.

However the downstairs in my house, especially the living room, stays pretty fuckin cool for some reason, even in the heat. And incredibly cold in cold weather. Got a big ol leafy tree keeping the sun from ever hitting that side of the house. Plus I have a big fan/air filter thing on the floor near the A/V stuff so the room air circulates well.

Mashalot on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've had mine since Christmas, I run it horizontal and Connect24 has always been on.

I put my hand on it just now and it's not even warm, let alone hot.

Rami on
    edited July 2007
    Touch the bottom

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Slightly warm, but still cooler than my PC.

Rami on
    edited July 2007
    Also, I do believe the bluetooth and wifi antennas are located on the top rear of the console (when vertical). The wifi hardware is what makes it get warm, no?

Either way, much more of the console is exposed to open air when run vertically. The vent on the bottom isn't completely plugged up either, as there's a nice big hole on the stand for it to blow through.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also, I do believe the bluetooth and wifi antennas are located on the top rear of the console (when vertical). The wifi hardware is what makes it get warm, no?

Either way, much more of the console is exposed to open air when run vertically. The vent on the bottom isn't completely plugged up either, as there's a nice big hole on the stand for it to blow through.

The included stand anyway. I've seen quite a few third-party stands that have no hole.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

The included stand anyway. I've seen quite a few third-party stands that have no hole.

Those idiots. Not only are they selling an accessory that comes with the console, but they can't even get the basic feature of an air vent into it!

Speaking of that.. I got a Naki G-Pak carrying case for my Wii. It's a fantastic case, and I recommend it to anyone. I just don't recommend playing the system while it's in the case, despite the fact that this is an advertised 'feature.' The reason, is because the vents are partially covered up by the strap that holds in the system. Good job Naki.

slash000 on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I sent in my Wii for artifacting issues. I believe they send you a "new" Wii since my replacement has a different serial number on it. They were nice enough to transfer all the data from the old Wii to the "new" Wii. All I had to do was re-download all my VC downloads. Only saying "new" because it could be refurbished for all I know.

you had to rebuy all your VC games?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

Redownload. Not buy.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, supposedly the artifacting is an overheating malfunction as a result of leaving it on standby. I don't know how many systems it affects though, it definitely isn't all of them.

Zek on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

Redownload. Not buy.

It's not like we're dealing with Apple here. You can re-download any game you delete, ever, on the same Wii, and if you send it in for warranty service, they'll transfer that data.

Daedalus on
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    My wii has the same problem but I'm loving RE4 too much to take it back.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    AggroChan wrote: »
    My wii has the same problem but I'm loving RE4 too much to take it back.

Same here. :|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it possible to see pictures of little->severe ranges of this problem? I'd like to know specifically what this really looks like so I know if I ever face it, I can be somewhat prepared for it.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited July 2007
    Some website had some images of it. so it's out there. Just don't have the link.

slash000 on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Yeah, supposedly the artifacting is an overheating malfunction as a result of leaving it on standby. I don't know how many systems it affects though, it definitely isn't all of them.

I don't think this is true. I'd bet it's two symptoms of the same problem, not some sort of cause and effect. I can't imagine the CPU or whatever is getting hot is getting hot enough to transfer a damaging amount of heat to the GPU/VRAM without damaging its self. I'm pretty sure it's an improperly manufactured/assembled set of heat sinks that cause the system to become too hot in standby and allow the GPU to overheat when running.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • polarbluepolarblue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    I've had mine since Christmas, I run it horizontal and Connect24 has always been on.

I put my hand on it just now and it's not even warm, let alone hot.

yea me too, i dont see how leaving the wii horizontal will make it that hot, it runs very luke warm when im playin games

polarblue on
    lost.jpg
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been experiencing white fuzzy lines appearing on my Wii, but only on chapter 2 of resident evil 4, the section of the village at night with rain. I don't really see severe problems on any other game or section of re4, but its really distracting. I use a standard definition tv and the video/audio cables that came with the Wii. I bought it about 2 weeks after launch, can I still just call them up and get this fixed, or is it too late?

Ultarune on
    edited July 2007
    You can still get it fixed. Is it in a hot place? A place without much ventilation? Are you running horiz or vert?

slash000 on
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Vertical, stays around 68-70 degrees, and well ventilated.

Edit: I had wiiconnect24 or whatever its called on for the first 2-3 months, but turned it off when I heard about the problems associated with it, and now unplug the wii when it isn't in use.

Ultarune on
    edited July 2007
    I don't think unplugging the Wii is necessary for anyone. Just turning off WC24 should suffice for anyone afraid of thermal issues.

if it were me, I'd have it fixed. I wouldn't be able to cope with artifacting..

slash000 on
  • kj01kj01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have had the Wii standing vertical ever since I got it, and in an average-to-cool temperature room... I do use component cables. At first, I thought it was the 3rd party cables (as 1st party ones weren't available at the time) that were causing these dead-pixel-like problem. But upon reading this forum and hearing about it, I'm fearful to say that it is more permanent than that... And I guess a firmware update (if they ever decide to do those) would never cause the problem, as it's a physical wear.

Looks like I'll be sending it in... which causes some more questions: can I contact Nintendo via e-mail? How much does it cost to ship? How long will it take before I get it back? Etc., etc.

kj01 on
  • RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Despite the fact that my computer has 3 case fans, I have a ps2 running vertical and a Wii running horizontal in the same area, I just got one of those 20 dollar honeywell house fans and stuck it right next to all of them. None of them ever even get warm.

RonTheDM on
    edited July 2007
    I would suggest calling rather than emailing Nintendo.

slash000 on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    don't worry, they can't hurt you over the phone.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    kj01 wrote: »
    Looks like I'll be sending it in... which causes some more questions: can I contact Nintendo via e-mail? How much does it cost to ship? How long will it take before I get it back? Etc., etc.

Free.

Just call them, tell them you are having artifacting problems, mention stuff about the cables, and say you have tested it every was possible. They will send you a pre paid UPS shipping label. You put that on a box, the Wii in the box, then drop it off at Staples or some other UPS drop off location. They'll then get the Wii, fix the Wii, and send it back to you for free. They will offer you a second option of taking your credit card info, shipping you out a replacement Wii and a pre paid label, and then have you just ship back your broken one. I didn't take that option because I wanted them to copy all of my data for me.

My Wii is currently on the UPS truck coming back to my house. The whole process was painless and takes about two weeks total from me calling them to me getting it back.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Or I was offered a third option since I happened to live like 2.5 hours away from their nearest repair hub. Which was to drop it off in the morning, then pick it up at the end of the day. But there was no way I was going to drive 2.5 hours and then hang out in Syracuse NY all freaking day.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • JPS3JPS3 regular
    edited July 2007
    Here is a couple pictures of what the problem looks like. It was form someone who had the problem very early on, I bookmarked the page to reference in case anything weird popped up on my Wii.

JPS3 on
    On the subject of the Zero Punctuation Bioshock Review:
    Gyral wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    I didn't much care for the Bioshock review. It didn't deliver on the funnies like the previous reviews, but it wasn't bad.

The ending was very weak, though. Usually his videos have good endings.

Did you just review a review?

I found reVerse's review to be too short and a little light on content and quality. Still, his punctuation and sentence structure was better than most.
    Amazon Wishlist
  • tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I leave my Wii on Standby With 24 Connect on all the time. Why? Because if it is going to break I want it to break within its warranty.

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well.... it happened. Nintendo is sending me a box. They say it will take about 4 days and the whole process should take about 12.

I was playing Harry Potter when I noticed it. I also noticed that the DVD player my system is next to was on and very hot. I think that combined with WiiConnect24 and the fact that I have a launch console all contributed to the problem. I broke my own rule really. I almost never buy the first production line of a product.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Well.... it happened. Nintendo is sending me a box. They say it will take about 4 days and the whole process should take about 12.

I was playing Harry Potter when I noticed it. I also noticed that the DVD player my system is next to was on and very hot. I think that combined with WiiConnect24 and the fact that I have a launch console all contributed to the problem. I broke my own rule really. I almost never buy the first production line of a product.

When it happened to me, Nintendo wouldn't send me a box.

It cost $15 to buy a box and ship it out.

HadjiQuest on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Did you call customer service and have them set up a ticket? And was it still under warranty?

Much to my happiness, speaking of, they said they'd extend the warranty by another year when I got the new one.

When I called I told them my serial number and they looked me up and set up a ticket and the whole works.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell