As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes: S.2 - Spoilers Inside - UPDATED OP.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Maybe more than one person can have the same power.
    Isn't that a given? Suresh's father had a list of powers that Humans as a species would begin to develop. It was never explicity stated how many he expected or what percentage of people would develop them, but I would imagine it'd be enough for duplicate abilities to occur.

Undoubtedly, just as within the Marvel Universe there must be God knows how many other mutants with a healing factor - but in a work of fiction that sort of thing can get a little repetitive, which is why Wolverine takes the spotlight in that area. If you catch my drift. So I don't have a problem with it as far as the rules of this universe go, but more from a writing standpoint.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Does anyone else just want to
    Slap the fuck out of Hiro?

_J_ on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

...and buy a Nissan Rogue?

Bitstream on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Bitstream wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

...and buy a Nissan Rogue?

Man, I would love a Nissan Rogue!

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Also, isn't Zachary Quinto supposed to be playing Spock in the next Star Trek? He just looks too creepy in this show - like, there is something wrong with his face. Or at least his eyebrows.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The implication from the comic is that Maya's power is plague-related.

Zek on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    spock.jpg?

Those are not normal eyebrows.

I think Quinto as Spock was pretty inspired casting. Not that I care about Star Trek, but it is the grand central station of sci-fi actors and worth looking at occasionally.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sylar.png

Does not work

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Maybe more than one person can have the same power.
    Isn't that a given? Suresh's father had a list of powers that Humans as a species would begin to develop. It was never explicity stated how many he expected or what percentage of people would develop them, but I would imagine it'd be enough for duplicate abilities to occur.

Undoubtedly, just as within the Marvel Universe there must be God knows how many other mutants with a healing factor - but in a work of fiction that sort of thing can get a little repetitive, which is why Wolverine takes the spotlight in that area. If you catch my drift. So I don't have a problem with it as far as the rules of this universe go, but more from a writing standpoint.

And even if they did decide to go to "everybody has a unique power" you can retcon the same effect to a bazillion different causes. One person flies by the ability to repulse himself from other things. Another is immune to gravity. Another has some kind of very personal control over their momentum. Etc etc

Aroduc on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Erios wrote: »
    God
    both Nathan and Peter being alive
    pissed me off so fucking much. Don't the creators of this show get that there is a limited amount of mileage you can get out of characters?

I can understand about Peter, but not Nathan. I can't make sense out of that.
    More importantly:
    When Nathan looked in that mirror he saw his face all melted and scarred. Sort of reminded me of Two Face, and perhaps it's merely a psychological thing - feeling a tremendous amount of guilt over the brother he believes is dead. It might be more than that, though; perhaps his mother's power has something to do changing his appearance, healing, or illusions, because there is no way he escaped Peter going nuclear unscathed.

In regards to Hiro's dad:
    Why didn't he use his powers before that guy tackled him off the roof, or even attempt to get out of the way? More interestingly, the guy who attacked him didn't look at all like the rest of their organization. Linderman, Mrs. Petrelli, and Hiro's dad all dress well, and are old. The guy who tackled Hiro's dad was wearing common clothing - nothing fancy - had his face covered, and seemed like a younger person. Not a lot younger, but around 30-40. Which is weird, because he didn't look at all like what I thought a classy, powerful villain would look like.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Raakam wrote: »
    Chuck was funny - the show before Heroes. They had to make Peter become an amnesiac so he'd lose most of his powers, otherwise he'd be overpowered. Maya's ability is freaky, not sure if her brother can do anything yet though.

Maya and her brother are Twins and the last comic implies that Maya has the power to give people some fatal disease and I believe that her brother has the power to prevent it. Kinda like cyclops and whatever his brothers name was powers counteracting each other.

SoulFury on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In regards to Hiro's dad:
    Why didn't he use his powers before that guy tackled him off the roof, or even attempt to get out of the way? More interestingly, the guy who attacked him didn't look at all like the rest of their organization. Linderman, Mrs. Petrelli, and Hiro's dad all dress well, and are old. The guy who tackled Hiro's dad was wearing common clothing - nothing fancy - had his face covered, and seemed like a younger person. Not a lot younger, but around 30-40. Which is weird, because he didn't look at all like what I thought a classy, powerful villain would look like.
    Aside from the fact that Hiro's dad recognized the killer, it seemed to me that he was just a foot soldier. Especially with the reckless way he charged him and basically kamikaze'd the guy. Seemed very expendable to me.

Edit: never mind, only one body was visible on the ground. Hmm. He could still be a hired assassin. Oh man I want to play Assassin's Creed so bad now.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    SoulFury wrote: »
    Raakam wrote: »
    Chuck was funny - the show before Heroes. They had to make Peter become an amnesiac so he'd lose most of his powers, otherwise he'd be overpowered. Maya's ability is freaky, not sure if her brother can do anything yet though.

Maya and her brother are Twins and the last comic implies that Maya has the power to give people some fatal disease and I believe that her brother has the power to prevent it. Kinda like cyclops and whatever his brothers name was powers counteracting each other.

... That wasn't how Cyclops' and Havok's powers worked at all. They were just immune to the other's but they didn't cancel them. Even if one wasn't using his power at all, the other couldn't use their power against him. That's all.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think West must be related in some way to Nathan and/or Peter. Yeah it's possible that there can be duplicate abilities, but the writers didn't make that happen by accident. We're clearly intended to draw a comparison to the characters we already know can fly. They wouldn't pass up the opportunity to introduce a new power "just because."

Zek on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Speaking as an Asian guy...
    I'm pretty pissed off at the revelation that the legendary Takezo Kensai is actually a white guy.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty pissed off at the revelation that the legendary Takezo Kensai is actually a white guy.

Hell, I'm white and I was disappointed.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Apparently, the only Asian guy on the show who's actually allowed to act masculine is Hiro's dad. Who, ironically, is played by an openly gay actor.

Hell, even the master katana fixer sword repair dude was white.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Apparently, the only Asian guy on the show who's actually allowed to act masculine is Hiro's dad. Who, ironically, is played by an openly gay actor.

And isn't the guy who plays Ando actually Korean? I mean, they can't get anything right.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That's why the show wins. Who's the butch? Fucking Sulu.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was disappointed that the twins could not turn into water or animals

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Great.
    And now they killed off Hiro's dad. Fuck you, Heroes. Jesus Christ, you can't even reveal what sort of power the guy might have first (I don't buy the idea of "super teaching.")

Oh, and Hiro's dad is owner of a local sword shop, but he needs Ando to fetch him a sword? WTF? How about picking up your cell phone, and asking your blacksmith to drop by?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Uhm
    It's pretty clear that Hiro is going to step into the role and become the heroic Takezo Kensai of legend rather than the douche who thought up the name.

I mean, they couldn't have telegraphed that any harder if they had had it spelled out on screen. By a man using a telegraph

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Uhm
    It's pretty clear that Hiro is going to step into the role and become the heroic Takezo Kensai of legend rather than the douche who thought up the name.

I mean, they couldn't have telegraphed that any harder if they had had it spelled out on screen. By a man using a telegraph
    And Hiro couldn't replace an Asian Takezo Kensai.... why again? What, Asian people can't be con men? Were the writers afriad that if they had too many Asian people on screen at the same time, the audience wouldn't be able to tell them apart? Please.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    StudioAudienceStudioAudience Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was disappointed that the twins could not turn into water or animals

Haha, I felt the same.
    I think I might have seen the WoW opening sequence one too many times, because I sorta expected the brother to turn into a jaguar or something and chase after the truck. Must've been the jungle setting.

StudioAudience on
    studaud.png
    GFWL: studaud (for SF4)
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Uhm

And Hiro couldn't replace an Asian Takezo Kensai.... why again? What, Asian people can't be con men? Were the writers afriad that if they had too many Asian people on screen at the same time, the audience wouldn't be able to tell them apart? Please.
    Who the fuck cares?

zOMG William Adams references are so racist fight the power

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    OK, so what's up with flying kid? We already have a flying guy. They're just getting sloppy. And speaking of sloppy, I'm getting tired of the amnesia angle. I've had enough of characters struggling to find out who they really are - especially when we already know who they are. On the other hand, Mr. Bennett is still a badass.

Quick comment on non-new season stuff: I do not really care about Nikki and her family.
    One of the things they were planning on addressing this season is repeat powers.
    Great.
    And now they killed off Hiro's dad. Fuck you, Heroes. Jesus Christ, you can't even reveal what sort of power the guy might have first (I don't buy the idea of "super teaching.")

Oh, and Hiro's dad is owner of a local sword shop, but he needs Ando to fetch him a sword? WTF? How about picking up your cell phone, and asking your blacksmith to drop by?
    I figured the reason Keito had Ando go get a sword was to get him out of the way so he didn't get killed when his killer showed up.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Who the fuck cares?

Asian people...?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Who the fuck cares?

Asian people...?

Well you just keep right on fighting that power then sport

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    HRG is still as fucking awesome as ever.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Who the fuck cares?

Asian people...?

Don't be like that Senj -- Asians are severely under-represented on Heroes. There isn't a single Asian regular on that show.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still want to know what the fuck Mama Petrelli's and Papa Nakamura's powers are.

Mr. Bennet is a badass. I love how in Volume 1 we start out hating him, and then, for me at least, he became one of the most sympathetic characters.

Mohinder and Matt (who I am happy to see back! He and his power are my favorite) taking care of Molly is totally rad, but I expect some kind of outlash from conservative groups about "gay undertones" or some bullshit about "tolerating households with two dads; even if they're heterosexual!"

Speaking of Parkman, wasn't it implied in the 5 years in the future episode that his son had some kind of power, and thus was being hidden by Bennet and company? I wonder if that will ever come up.

Who was the hot babe that Sylar was with in the preview??? They showed her like it was someone we were supposed to have known, but, I was clueless.

Stephen Tobolowsky as Midas FTW!

Where can I find these comics that people talk about?

Neelix on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Am I seriously the only one here who's thrilled to see
    Sarc
    in Heroes? Really?

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    When is Kirsten bell going to be on? i'm only watching for her. And Hiro.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    Am I seriously the only one here who's thrilled to see
    Sarc
    in Heroes? Really?

Yeah, that was cool.

Also Mr Bennet is rapidly becoming my favorite character

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Who the fuck cares?

Asian people...?

Don't be like that Senj -- Asians are severely under-represented on Heroes. There isn't a single Asian regular on that show.

Funny. I didn't realize that there was a limit to the number of Asian characters you could have on a single show, which apparently can't be exceeded. Just out of curiousity, how many white characters are there on the show? I suppose you have a point. I mean, right now, white characters seem to be underrepresented, which makes the current decision completely sensical.

The issue is portrayal.
    You basically have two wimpy asexual Asian males, and Hiro's dead, gay father. Oh, and a white master katana maker.

This season, they decided to go to fucking Japan. I expected a season where they would actually get to see some Asian culture, with a diverse group of Asian characters. The Sammurai character gave an opprotunity for something new. Instead, they make him a white guy. Why? There's absolutely no reason why he should be a white guy. I mean, there's the fact that it gives him an excuse to talk in English, but this is supposed to be 17th century Japan. The only reason for the change is to make it more appealing to a pre-dominantly white audience.

It's like Jerry Seinfeld's routine, about going to Idaho and getting a carrot. If the scene takes place in Japan, then I expect to see Asian actors.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Great.

I got the impression that he sent Ando out to get the sword as a diversion to get Ando out of there. He originally wanted him to just leave and be safe, but Ando wasn't having any of it, so he gave him something to do.

As for Whitey McSamurai, I believe the idea is to shatter Hiro's worship of the Kensei character. I remember in an interview where they stated his journey this season would be Hiro coming to terms with the fact that his idols are not all they seemed to be.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    God you're dumb.

And really hung up on George Takei's sexuality

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    StudioAudienceStudioAudience Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Neelix wrote: »

They're on NBC's website. Wiki has a nice compilation though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heroes_graphic_novels

StudioAudience on
    studaud.png
    GFWL: studaud (for SF4)
  • Options
    HokageNarutoHokageNaruto Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think it's a great idea for the cracker under the armor. It really does make Hiro like, WTF have I been following all my life. Damn I'm a tard. I guess I'll do it all myself. Then he gets a little closer to bad ass hiro.

HokageNaruto on
    bleach.jpg
  • Options
    NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Neelix wrote: »

They're on NBC's website. Wiki has a nice compilation though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heroes_graphic_novels

Ahhhhh! D: This is going to take me forever to read!

:(

Neelix on
This discussion has been closed.