As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirits: For monocles AND hobos alike!

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    One of my favorite mixed drinks is a nice refreshing mojito - that is, a "real" mojito made with fresh ground mint and some nice Cuban rum. Not the trash made with mint liqeur/bad rum or a premix.

Edit- Real Cuban mojitos are best when made by a Cuban bartender and enjoyed in a Cuban establishment while smoking a Montecristo No. 4. Take that, trade embargo!
    I've only ever had -real- Mojitos. I had one at Bahama Breeze, it used bits of mint and everything. Quite good. I do have a 6-pack of the bottled "girl beer" ones from a store, but I haven't opened one yet...

I've only had "real" mojitos also, some with light rum, and some with that Brazilian cane liquor. Both are pretty good.

Some woman on the bus gave me some "mojito-flavored" gum. It tasted pretty much like Pledge.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    You're getting snookered, Thanatos. Gin is supposed to suck. Going upmarket with gin is like buying extremely expensive Sanka in a fancy tin.
    Have you ever had Ten, Will?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll usually stick with straight Tanqueray or Sapphire for my martinis or my G&Ts, but when it comes to a quality straight gin, it's all about Ten.

Tell you what - whenever you make it to Boston, I'll buy several bottles of gin, from rail slop to Fancy McPoseur brand, and we'll do a blind taste test. And then drink the rest.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My favorite drink is regular old Jameson. I bought some Jameson 12 year as a present to myself last year, and I don't like it very much.

Yeah, I bought some aged Bushmills (Black Bush), and found it too scotch-y for general use. I mean, it's fine, but not really what I consider Irish Whiskey.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I liked gin for about a week. Then I didn't any more.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Brazillian cane liquor + limes + sugar = winner.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Brazillian cane liquor + limes + sugar = winner.

Cachaca? Cachaca is picking up in popularity and even being used in the Brazilian Mojito these days.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah. Cachaça. Or whatever the accent thing is. I like that it's easy to put accent things on letters on macs.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    We were talking about Mojitos earlier and I just want to step in and say, don't ever ever ever use Bacardi rum considering it's just about the shittiest rum you can use...to make anything. I know most people swear by using light rum but there are several dark rums out there that really bring something to the mojito that most light rums can't do. I really like Flor De Cana's 7 year dark rum in mine, it's balanced and perfect for mixing. Sure, it'll dirty it up but if you're drinking it for presentation-then why the hell are you drinking? Use Cruzan, hell, anything over Bacardi. For the sake of rum drinkers, don't use Bacardi.

Crayon on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My friend's uncle suggested using Red Rum in rum and cokes. All my friends agree that it is great. I don't, but that is most likely because I hate coconut.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    REDRUM

REDRUM

REDRUM

D:

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    REDRUM

REDRUM

REDRUM

D:

That stuff tastes like shit. Pure unfiltered shit.

Good rum:

Appleton Estate VX
    Sailor Jerry
    Mount Gay Extra Old
    Pyrat Blanco/Xo Reserve
    Cruzan in general
    Havana Club
    Myer's

And Cruzan if you're on a tight budget.

Don't buy into that "premium rum" bullshit like 10 Cane or anything, because premium Rum is even more useless than premium Vodka.

Crayon on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hate Rum generally.

Also, Lilli gin is fucking premium awesome. I can't find it anywhere online though, and I don't know what stores sell it. Any help?

MrMister on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Appleton Estate rum is not good rum. Meyer's is fairly decent, but I'm not a rum fan anyway. I have a friend who is quite the fan however. He claims it makes him feel like a pirate.

Shogun on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Appleton Estate rum is not good rum. Meyer's is fairly decent, but I'm not a rum fan anyway. I have a friend who is quite the fan however. He claims it makes him feel like a pirate.
    Grab a bottle of spiced or dark rum and rip the label off.

You WILL begin drinking out of the bottle. I think it's programmed into a man's brain.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When I am at home, I drink coffee mixed with vodka. Doesn't taste particularly good, but it prevents liver damage, so I can drink without worrying about hurting my health. I drink coffee in the morning as well, so that helps too. The coffee basically eliminates free radicals created by the breakdown of alcohol in the liver (coffee is full of antioxidants), thereby preventing cirrhosis (http://www.google.com/search?q=coffee+alcohol). It does other nice things too, like helping me focus better while I'm drunk.

And its good for your health in general (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_and_health#Benefits). Together with alcohol, its like some weird, unlikely (and fun) health drink, if it is taken in moderation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_consumption_and_health#Overall_longevity). I call it vodkee. Usually I'll get a nice big glass and pour two cups worth of coffee and two (or three :)) shots worth of vodka in it. In your face, Alzheimer's!

Just Like That on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yay for mixing uppers and downers!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

I'm sorry, you're wrong. Appleton V/X is excellent. Like every other company (especially Jim Beam and their Beam line/Small batch line), you'll have bad seeds mixed in with excellent products. Their normal rum is quite atrocious, but V/X is one of the better rums out there.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tobasco wrote: »
    When I am at home, I drink coffee mixed with vodka. Doesn't taste particularly good, but it prevents liver damage, so I can drink without worrying about hurting my health. I drink coffee in the morning as well, so that helps too. The coffee basically eliminates free radicals created by the breakdown of alcohol in the liver (coffee is full of antioxidants), thereby preventing cirrhosis (http://www.google.com/search?q=coffee+alcohol). It does other nice things too, like helping me focus better while I'm drunk.

And its good for your health in general (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_and_health#Benefits). Together with alcohol, its like some weird, unlikely (and fun) health drink, if it is taken in moderation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_consumption_and_health#Overall_longevity). I call it vodkee. Usually I'll get a nice big glass and pour two cups worth of coffee and two (or three :)) shots worth of vodka in it. In your face, Alzheimer's!

Wouldn't Cofka be more appropriate?

Elbonian Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Whiskey has some of the same health benefits as drinking wine, so why not just drink a glass of some good bourbon or scotch? If that's too strong for you there are plenty of mixes out there, my favorite being "spiked" peach tee.

4 1/2 ounces unsweetened iced tea

2 1/4 ounces Ginger Syrup

1 1/2 ounces Woodford Reserve bourbon (my preferred bourbon, but any bourbon will do. I'm not a fan of rye bourbon in this though.)

1 1/2 ounces peach schnapps

juice of 1 small lime wedge

1 fresh peach wedge

Combine iced tea, syrup, bourbon, schnapps and lime juice in a cocktail shaker and shake to mix. Fill one 14-ounce tumbler 3/4 full with ice. Pour the iced tea mixture over the ice and garnish with the peach wedge.

Crayon on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I made a "real" mojito a few days ago, but didn't have a muddler. I had to use the thick wooden handle of an appx. 25 year old BBQ fork. It held up well.

I was wondering if anyone has done what I do. I'll often head to a large wine and spirits place (say, Specks while I was in Texas or Big Red in Indiana) and buy brands of various spirits that I've never heard of before. I've found out about some real jewels that way.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I read the OP, saw his remark about the 'lightly flavored' gin, and was very confused. The only kind of gin I've tried was so amazingly flavored that even when mixed with tonic, it scented the whole room like potpurri. It was Beefeater, is that way more flavored than any other kind? I bought it on a whim, I wanted to try some gin and it was supposedly pretty good.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I read the OP, saw his remark about the 'lightly flavored' gin, and was very confused. The only kind of gin I've tried was so amazingly flavored that even when mixed with tonic, it scented the whole room like potpurri. It was Beefeater, is that way more flavored than any other kind? I bought it on a whim, I wanted to try some gin and it was supposedly pretty good.

Beefeater sucks. I like basic Tanqeray, but even then it isn't the best. Bombay Sapphire is meh. A lot of people here seem to really like it, I wasn't impressed. I've tried Tanqeray 10 much like Thanatos and I really liked it. I really <3 this thread though because I turn 21 next friday so I'm going to copy this whole thread and take it to the bar with me.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    I made a "real" mojito a few days ago, but didn't have a muddler. I had to use the thick wooden handle of an appx. 25 year old BBQ fork. It held up well.

I was wondering if anyone has done what I do. I'll often head to a large wine and spirits place (say, Specks while I was in Texas or Big Red in Indiana) and buy brands of various spirits that I've never heard of before. I've found out about some real jewels that way.

I do this regularly, and have bought hundreds of bottles of liquor that I never drank more than a few tastes of.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I'm intrested in trying Scotch. Something decent enough to have on occasion with my cigar and maybe bring to the family BBQ.

I don't really wanna blow a lot on something I may not even like. Most people suggest Johnny Walker Black but whats the diffrence between it and Red and Blue etc.

Also how long does it "keep". I.E. how long can it sit before it gets bad.

King Kong on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just bought some Skyy and Cointreau. I can't believe I bought that second one. My mother drinks Grand Marnier in exactly the same way. I'm turning into my mother.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, why does everyone think Bombay Sapphire is, like, top-shelf gin?

I just knocked back a bombay G&T and can testify that its quality is first rate, as I'm having to type this very very slowly but it went down smooth as anything.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I usually drink rum and coke, because it sounds a lot harder than it tastes. The same thing goes for an Adios Mother Fucker. I am really sensitive to the taste of alcohol, and most drinks make me gag.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm going back to college soon and have recently turned 21. I've dabbled in liquor at parties and such, but have never really owned my own bottle of anything before, since the price of a bottle means buying something that isn't very good means taking shitty shots for a long time or giving it away. I'm not going to try and stock a full bar, but I'm hoping to have a couple of mixed drink choices at my disposal if I want to relax after a hard day. What would you guys suggest I keep on hand if fridge space is at a premium? I have a coffee maker, so I'm going to get some Irish Cream and some palatable to midrange whiskey if I can part with the money. Anyone have any recommendations on the whiskey or any other spirits you find essential for a good and easy highball?

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A decent Vodka is critical. If you like to mix, SKYY, if you like to drink straight, Gray Goose or Ketel One.

My personal favorite liqueur is Amaretto, an almond flavored drink. As you might expect, it's good for cooking sweets or other confections but it's also great in a variety of mixed drinks. Amaretto + Coke = Cherry Coke flavor. It can also be added in to coffee very nicely. Also Amaretto Sours, with Amaretto, Sprite, and sour mix are delicious.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    King Kong wrote: »
    So I'm intrested in trying Scotch. Something decent enough to have on occasion with my cigar and maybe bring to the family BBQ.

I don't really wanna blow a lot on something I may not even like. Most people suggest Johnny Walker Black but whats the diffrence between it and Red and Blue etc.

Black is a stand-up drink. Not too expensive, and very tasty. I've never had blue (have had green, which was very nice) - but I wouldn't blow your money on it until you've decided you like scotch. Red is pretty average, IMO. You can get better for cheaper very easily.

If you've got the money for black, go for it. It's a nice scotch that has a good balance of flavours.
    King Kong wrote: »
    Also how long does it "keep". I.E. how long can it sit before it gets bad.

A long time.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Black is a Canadian Scotch. Dont get it if you are looking for somehing distinctive.

Any [at least] 12 year single malt will probably do.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    A decent Vodka is critical. If you like to mix, SKYY, if you like to drink straight, Gray Goose or Ketel One.

My personal favorite liqueur is Amaretto, an almond flavored drink. As you might expect, it's good for cooking sweets or other confections but it's also great in a variety of mixed drinks. Amaretto + Coke = Cherry Coke flavor. It can also be added in to coffee very nicely. Also Amaretto Sours, with Amaretto, Sprite, and sour mix are delicious.

It's also fantastic in espresso.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Black is a Canadian Scotch. Dont get it if you are looking for somehing distinctive.

Any [at least] 12 year single malt will probably do.

As a first scotch though, I think it's a pretty good choice. He can decide what flavours he likes from there, and chase down single malts that appeal to his palate.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I very much enjoyed a 12 year bottle of Glenfiddich scotch. I think it cost around 40 dollars. I got it to celebrate the end of the school year, was very sad when I finished it.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Kind of off-topic, but I thought this was pretty funny.

Cell_Phone_Flask.jpg

Wait, can you hold for a second? Jack Daniels just called, and I think he has something delicious to say.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Holy shit that's awesome. Where can I buy it?

MrMister on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only amaretto lover here. I just drink it on the rocks most nights.

Also, amaretto can be used to make Flaming Dr. Peppers. Flaming cocktail + tastes like soda + highly alcoholic = great for parties.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    On Amazon.com for $16 shipped, apparently.

I guess I wouldn't mind having a cell phone flask, but I don't want to be that guy.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I never knew about Amaretto until my roommate sophomore year told me it was great with sour mix so I bought an airplane bottle and it went from there.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    On Amazon.com for $16 shipped, apparently.

I guess I wouldn't mind having a cell phone flask, but I don't want to be that guy.

I'm also buying a breathalyzer, so I'm pretty much that guy.

MrMister on