Options

[WoW] WoW Expansion info leaked

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FFXI had a progressing storyline even if it didn't change the world. It was told through missions, which had cutscenes once in a while.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    FFXI had a progressing storyline even if it didn't change the world. It was told through missions, which had cutscenes once in a while.

True, I played FFXI for over a year and did several of the missions, still, the plot didn't seem very paramount to me and the cut scenes were just annoying 9 times out of 10, I wished I could skip them.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    He meants I should remedy my lack of playing Warcraft games, not the lack of a plot in WoW

Ohh sorry.

I just see so many people complaining that the lore in WoW sucks, when Blizz is doing the best they can to keep it in game and affect players who are interested in it.

Yeah.

I mean its not the best story in the world, but at least it is consistent and actually affects the game more than just context for a generic level grind.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kronus wrote: »
    Lynx wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Malygos and the Blue Dragonflight have gone insane and want to kill all magic users now.

. . .are you serious? Because if you are, I'm REALLY getting sick of "X has gone insane and are now EEEEEEEEVIL!"

At least Arthas is sane. He's just evil because he's an asshole.

Malygos has a right to be insane though. He's been alone without his flight for thousands of years.

Didn't Krasus fix that, though?

I dunno how ok I am with killing a Dragon Aspect. Like, if it was Deathwing, that's one thing. But Malygos? I dunno. . .
    WoWWiki wrote:
    After Deathwing was defeated and the Demon Soul destroyed, Malygos seemed to reclaim the vitality of his former self. Rhonin the mage destroyed the artifact using a scale of Deathwing and with a spell, all the magic and power of the Demon Soul]was transfered back to the other Great Aspects, returning their full power to them. As promised, Alexstrasza helped reunite what members of the Blue Dragonflight she could. Although still a sparsely populated dragonflight, the blue brood grows slowly, giving hope to Malygos.
    What. The. Fuck. Blizz.

WTF what?

Read the War of the Ancients books. Not only did Alexstrasza do that, but also Norzdormu took some eggs given to him by Krasus and Rhonin to give to Malygos to start rebuilding the Flight. This isn't new.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    Kronus wrote: »
    Malygos and the Blue Dragonflight have gone insane and want to kill all magic users now.

. . .are you serious? Because if you are, I'm REALLY getting sick of "X has gone insane and are now EEEEEEEEVIL!"

At least Arthas is sane. He's just evil because he's an asshole.

Malygos has a right to be insane though. He's been alone without his flight for thousands of years.

Didn't Krasus fix that, though?

I dunno how ok I am with killing a Dragon Aspect. Like, if it was Deathwing, that's one thing. But Malygos? I dunno. . .
    WoWWiki wrote:
    After Deathwing was defeated and the Demon Soul destroyed, Malygos seemed to reclaim the vitality of his former self. Rhonin the mage destroyed the artifact using a scale of Deathwing and with a spell, all the magic and power of the Demon Soul]was transfered back to the other Great Aspects, returning their full power to them. As promised, Alexstrasza helped reunite what members of the Blue Dragonflight she could. Although still a sparsely populated dragonflight, the blue brood grows slowly, giving hope to Malygos.
    What. The. Fuck. Blizz.

WTF what?

Read the War of the Ancients books. Not only did Alexstrasza do that, but also Norzdormu took some eggs given to him by Krasus and Rhonin to give to Malygos to start rebuilding the Flight. This isn't new.

The quote was to answer his question that Krasus is helped. The WTF was to Blizzard for making Malygos crazy. Poorly worded on my behalf though, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Kronus on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They've been setting up all of the Dragon Aspects for a fall for a while now. Ysera is missing, presumed crazy (probably infected by the Nightmare). Nozdormu is also missing, presumed crazy (hey, something had to make the Infinite Dragonflight).

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    They've been setting up all of the Dragon Aspects for a fall for a while now. Ysera is missing, presumed crazy (probably infected by the Nightmare). Nozdormu is also missing, presumed crazy (hey, something had to make the Infinite Dragonflight).

If they made all of the Apsects crazy and evil, that might be cool. What I think WoW needs is a little more interaction on the NPC's behalf with the players of WoW. Maybe I'm just crazy, but it feels like we're doing all the work while the old heroes of WC just sit around. They took a giant step in the right direction with Maiev and Akama against Illidan, and Jaina + Thrall in Hyjal. I want some epic NPC face-off action when we fight Arthas. Bring back the world of Warcraft, and give me some NPC interaction!

Kronus on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I hate WoW but it's amazing how Blizzard can still make the graphics so awe-inspiring. There are plenty of prettier games but no one like Blizzard can induce feelings of wonder. Too bad they aren't in the business of making stock RPGs or action games.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rwal men enter Northrend via the fjord zone.
    Only girly girls go to the Tuskarr zone.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rwal men enter Northrend via the fjord zone.
    Only girly girls go to the Tuskarr zone.

Dude Tuskarr are awesome and that's where the horde are. Bitch.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As a wall climber first and a rogue second, I'm starting in the fjord.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    942519_20070802_screen001.jpg

I just noticed those islands off the coast of Westfall/STV are not on the map in game... Would be nice if they actually made a few new zones down there in addition to Northrend.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man Warcraft has the most boring map ever

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ss0001.jpg

old world map

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How long until we get to raid the giant sea monster that constantly harasses the western coast of Kalimdor? Or perhaps the giant menacing sea turtle?

Zek on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    942519_20070802_screen001.jpg

I just noticed those islands off the coast of Westfall/STV are not on the map in game... Would be nice if they actually made a few new zones down there in addition to Northrend.

That's Balor, which I think is home to some crazy evil shit not yet exlored, and Plunder Isle, the home of the Bloodsail Buccaneers. They were on the original map, but then got removed. I guess they added them back. Seems like they're hinting at the next expansion, The South Seas. I also noticed they got rid of the small archipeligo off the coast of Tirisfal Glades. I guess that was a placeholder for Northrend. . .

Anyways, about the Lore. I think it's fairly decent. I do agree that it was much better when it had a linear progression, but the quests and background behind the dungeons are all pretty interesting. Thinking about it. . .since Nozdormu is missing (And likely the creator of the Infinite Dragonflight), Ysera is missing (And likely corrupted by the Nightmare) and now Malygos is crazy, I wonder if it was all the Old Gods' doing. The Old Gods seemed to think that the Dragon Aspects were their natural enemies. I think it could actually be pretty good if they tied all of the Dragon Aspects going batshit insane if the Old Gods were behind it all. I mean. . .Deathwing went crazy because of them, right? It'd make sense for the others to as well.

But, Alexstatza needs to remain sane. Or have Korialstatz replace her.

EDIT: Wait a minute. . .is it me or is Silithus completely gone? Where the hell did it go? Or is this just an old map with Northrend added onto it?

Lynx on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If they ever release Centaurs for Horde or Nerubians for Alliance and I will seriously consider getting back on the wow machine.

The realm of Northrend doesn't feel right at all, it should be crawling with undead with a few heavily guarded and fortified areas of resistance. I hope that the scourge are actually on the offensive, this is their home turf after all and you're here to stop Arthas. Rather than just wandering around zones waiting for players to kill 15 of em, they should be rushing at towns, waylaying all major roads, and doing everything in their power to make players lives miserable.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Those two islands aren't the only new things on that map.

(Ignoring Northrend)
    newmapmarkedbp3.jpg

Edit: Ah, the original map had the cracks in Teldrassil too. (Yes, I mis-marked it as Nordrassil... :( )

Also, the new map doesn't match up with the zone map I saw during the Q&A today.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cqan you enlarge that image please.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Athenor wrote: »

Also, the new map doesn't match up with the zone map I saw during the Q&A today.

I think they just stuck on Northrend and the Azuremyst Isle onto an old map. Why the hell would they delete Silithus?

Although, I did hear something about them possibly getting rid of old raid dungeons. It might be misinterpreting the quote, but that's what it sounded like. . .

1:55pm: Burning Crusade made people ignore existing content-- with new expansion will Legacy content be supported more? We expect the old content to be used for leveling up, but as far as a lot of the old raid content, "we don't intend to keep it around." It had it's time, it's fun, and now we're moving on to new stuff.

Lynx on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just noticed the new map also has Silithus mostly missing on it...
    Athenor wrote: »

I think they just stuck on Northrend and the Azuremyst Isle onto an old map. Why the hell would they delete Silithus?

Although, I did hear something about them possibly getting rid of old raid dungeons. It might be misinterpreting the quote, but that's what it sounded like. . .

1:55pm: Burning Crusade made people ignore existing content-- with new expansion will Legacy content be supported more? We expect the old content to be used for leveling up, but as far as a lot of the old raid content, "we don't intend to keep it around." It had it's time, it's fun, and now we're moving on to new stuff.

Well I don't think they'd remove it, but It sounds like they have no intention of ever updating them to 25 man level 70/80 dungeons like some people(Like myself) want all the old dungeons updated for Heroic difficulty, they should be, so that theres content all over the old world still at max level. But I hope they don't remove any of it, I still want to do Naxxramas at some point, even if it involves 5-manning it at 80 just for the fuck of it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think it has been fixed. The old map with the big silithus bulge wasnt accurate to the actual world geometry.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Damn. I didn't realize Imageshack rescaled it. =(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Since Kel'Thuzad is more or less "dead" due to progression, I think it'd be neat to have Naxxramas be destroyed in some awesome crash to the earth, maybe even destroyed in some fight with the newly-airborne Dalaran in some lead-up event to the expansion. Have it crash on to that one ziggurat between the Plaguewood and Corin's Crossing in EPL.

Will probably never happen though.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    Since Kel'Thuzad is more or less "dead" due to progression, I think it'd be neat to have Naxxramas be destroyed in some awesome crash to the earth, maybe even destroyed in some fight with the newly-airborne Dalaran in some lead-up event to the expansion. Have it crash on to that one ziggurat between the Plaguewood and Corin's Crossing in EPL.

and every other dungeon and boss should be permanently cleared too

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    I'd love for it to crash ON Corin's Crossing.

Fuck that place.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Id love for them to do a south seas one. Do those big islands south of the whirlpool thing, the ones off the coast of westfall. Doesnt even need to be an expansion, just patch em in.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Fuck that place.

"Oh, so you're having fun fighting two NPC casters and a skeleton at the same time? Well, here's a randomly-spawning invisible stalker, just for you."

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Fuck that place.

"Oh, so you're having fun fighting two NPC casters and a skeleton at the same time? Well, here's a randomly-spawning invisible stalker, just for you."

And an Alliance zerg team just about to do Stratholme.

Oh, and that fucking courier and entourage.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Id love for them to do a south seas one. Do those big islands south of the whirlpool thing, the ones off the coast of westfall. Doesnt even need to be an expansion, just patch em in.

The depths of the ocean would make for some insane bosses and creatures. *cue The Kraken theme*

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »

and every other dungeon and boss should be permanently cleared too

Cool, yes. Likely, no. But if they ever bring out WC4, it'd be totally awesome for a mission to involve an Alliance or Horde army going up against Naxxramas and bringing it crashing down.

And Kel'Thuzad isn't dead at all. If you defeat him and turn in his phylactery at Light's Hope Chapel, it implies that it was intercepted later on by Scourge agents and that Kel'Thuzad would soon return to life.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, not only did I misread it, but it seems the Raid and Dungeons guys may possibly go back and make old raid content viable again. They specifically give Naxx as an example, saying that they'd liek to make it viable when WotLK comes out. They don't make any promises (Talking about how they'd rather do new content and how they have a limited amount of time), but they say its a possiblity.

Q: Warlocks rock. Progression and seeing end game content is tough without giving up other things in real life.
    Will casual raiders or non-raiders experience end-game content?

A: they are playing with taking old content (like Naxx) and making it accesible for lower characters. Lots of cheering on this one.

and

Q: 40 man dungeons, no reason to go back to BWL

is there a way to add heroic difficulties to BWL or something so that we can go back for the experience of the older content?

A: We are considering going back to Naxx when we get to Northrend, but we have a finite time to make dungeons,
    and even the items guys only have so much time to make new rewards for content, and would rather spend time on new content, but maybe we can go back

They also say another 25-man is coming before the expansion (And its heavily hinted that it will be the Sunwell Plateau, north of Silvermoon), and there's a possibility of even a new 5-man coming before the expansion. This is all in addition to the already announced Zul'Aman.

This is GREAT! It sounds like they are really getting fast at making this content AND they may even squeeze in some revamping of old raid content! I could totally see them making the old 60 raids 5 or 10 man dungeons for level 80 characters with a little tweaking.

Lynx on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm pretty sure that they'll be continuing the Ashbringer questchain when the expansion hits, mostly because having the Ashbringer going up against Frostmourne would be super fucking awesome. So it's possible they may re-tool Naxxramas into a viable level 80 raid to give more people an opportunity to obtain the Corrupted Ashbringer sword and start the questchain.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, not only did I misread it, but it seems the Raid and Dungeons guys may possibly go back and make old raid content viable again. They specifically give Naxx as an example, saying that they'd liek to make it viable when WotLK comes out. They don't make any promises (Talking about how they'd rather do new content and how they have a limited amount of time), but they say its a possiblity.

Q: Warlocks rock. Progression and seeing end game content is tough without giving up other things in real life.
    Will casual raiders or non-raiders experience end-game content?

A: they are playing with taking old content (like Naxx) and making it accesible for lower characters. Lots of cheering on this one.

and

Q: 40 man dungeons, no reason to go back to BWL

is there a way to add heroic difficulties to BWL or something so that we can go back for the experience of the older content?

A: We are considering going back to Naxx when we get to Northrend, but we have a finite time to make dungeons,
    and even the items guys only have so much time to make new rewards for content, and would rather spend time on new content, but maybe we can go back

They also say another 25-man is coming before the expansion (And its heavily hinted that it will be the Sunwell Plateau, north of Silvermoon), and there's a possibility of even a new 5-man coming before the expansion. This is all in addition to the already announced Zul'Aman.

This is GREAT! It sounds like they are really getting fast at making this content AND they may even squeeze in some revamping of old raid content! I could totally see them making the old 60 raids 5 or 10 man dungeons for level 80 characters with a little tweaking.

Kil'Jaeden will be a boss but I don't know what the hell he'd be doing at the Sunwell.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the blizzard launcher now has a Wrath of The Lich theme, and links to: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/index.xml

There's a really awesome video showing off Northrend, and the Death Knight a bit. I really like the graphics for the skulls spewing fire.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Beck wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the blizzard launcher now has a Wrath of The Lich theme, and links to: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/index.xml

There's a really awesome video showing off Northrend, and the Death Knight a bit. I really like the graphics for the skulls spewing fire.

It's pretty amazing. Nice graphical upgrades.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Kil'Jaeden will be a boss but I don't know what the hell he'd be doing at the Sunwell.

. . .

He'll be a boss!? As in, you know he'll be a boss in the next 25-man dungeon???

I mean. . .it'd make SOME sense. Archimonde and Illidan were bosses, and this is supposed to be above them. And the Sunwell is where Archimonde came into this world. It'd make sense for Kil'jaeden to do the same, but. . .no, they CAN'T be making Kil'jaeden a boss already. That'd be ridiculous.

Lynx on
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, it's decided instead of leveling my alts I'm gonna take my 61 Druid out've retirement and get him to 70 asap so I can be ready for the Death of the Knighting: :D WOOT!

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

. . .

I mean. . .it'd make SOME sense. Archimonde and Illidan were bosses, and this is supposed to be above them. And the Sunwell is where Archimonde came into this world. It'd make sense for Kil'jaeden to do the same, but. . .no, they CAN'T be making Kil'jaeden a boss already. That'd be ridiculous.

This is blizzard we're talking about.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

. . .

This is blizzard we're talking about.

Point taken.

See, I always figured we'd fight him eventually. It was inevitable. But, if he does become the endboss of TBC, it means that they are seriously limiting themselves post-WotLK.

I mean, ok, we have Azshara and whatever Old God she derives her power from for the South Seas expansion. In the Emerald Dream, we have a possibly corrupted Ysera and the Nightmare (Also likely an Old God) to contend with. After that, I'd assume we'll be heading into the Twisting Nether, beyond the portals in Outland. Where we'd fight. . .Sargeras I guess?

Hmmmmm. Well, actually, I guess it could work now that I think about it. That'd be five expansions, which is about how much they planned for anyway. I think it just seriously downplays the strength of Kil'jaeden compared to Arthas or even Azshara. But, from the sound of things, they made Arthas become far more powerful when he combined with Ner'zhul. And Azshara. . .actually. . .I think Mannoroth said she was just as powerful as Archimonde and Kil'jaeden. And that was pre-Naga Azshara.

Huh. I guess it does work. O_o

Lynx on