Options

Do you like the Webcomics?

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jmillikin wrote: »
    I really hate to sound like that "you owe me free comics" guy, but if this goes on much longer, I'm not sure I'll be reading his site anymore. Gabe & Tycho are right; consistency is damn near the most important thing when you have an online readership.

I'd say quality is more important - Gone with the Shockwave and Lackadaisy have update intervals measured in months, but still qualify as good comics.

Yeah, but Gone With the Blastwave and Lackadaisy have awesome art and good writing. VG Cats has passable art and writing that waxes and wanes from decent to mind-wrenchingly horrible.

Doesn't this just reinforce my point that quality is more important?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is pretty much the best thing ever IMO.
    substitute.png

I love that one but it bugs me sooo much that in question 3 they mention that raptors run at 10 m/s but that's actually the wounded raptor speed.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really hate to sound like that "you owe me free comics" guy, but if this goes on much longer, I'm not sure I'll be reading his site anymore. Gabe & Tycho are right; consistency is damn near the most important thing when you have an online readership.

I'd say quality is more important - Gone with the Shockwave and Lackadaisy have update intervals measured in months, but still qualify as good comics.

Yeah, but Gone With the Blastwave and Lackadaisy have awesome art and good writing. VG Cats has passable art and writing that waxes and wanes from decent to mind-wrenchingly horrible.

Doesn't this just reinforce my point that quality is more important?

I think I meant to reply to someone else.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why in God's name has no one mentioned Cyanide & Happiness yet?

I mean, come on:

bike.png

Darklyre on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hybrid wrote: »

I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to be about.

I believe it's a comic about the villian from "Naruto". His name is Orochimaru and he's got an unhealthy obsession with a kid named Sasuke Uchiha (sp). Yeah...the guest comic sucked.

Fair enough then.

And yes, Darklyre is correct. Cyanide and Happiness is great.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    For an attempt at a serious sprite comic, I enjoyed the Fortuna Saga. There were definitely a few melodramatic, "time for my speech" moments, but I thought it was solid overall.

I like Captain SNES a fair amount, it's the only sprite comic I really read. It's a bit talky, but the story is interesting.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Why in God's name has no one mentioned Cyanide & Happiness yet?

I mean, come on:

bike.png

I...don't get it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Like for real you don't get it, or a comical ha ha I don't get it?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RainOPainRainOPain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    133.gif

Also:
    hepss.gif
    It's a t-shirt

RainOPain on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Like for real you don't get it, or a comical ha ha I don't get it?

No, I for real don't get it. Is there a joke there? Is there some clever subtext, or is it just to be taken at face value?

EDIT:: I also don't get the horse eating puppies. Again, is there supposed to be something clever there, or is it just absurdity?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Note the little bit of blood on the floor in the last panel

Pata on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Other than PA, I read giant in the playground comics, which are essentially stick figures dnd style.

www.giantitp.com

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    This is pretty much the best thing ever IMO.
    substitute.png

I love that one but it bugs me sooo much that in question 3 they mention that raptors run at 10 m/s but that's actually the wounded raptor speed.

The answer to number 1 is 37.302 meters, by the way.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GenoForPrezGenoForPrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Has anyone mentioned Dr. McNinja yet? That comic is genius to the core. My second favorite to PA.

And I have to mention Men In Hats. MIH was discontinued a few years ago, which pissed me off to no end, but they at least still host the strips at Keenspot. It can be very hit and miss sometimes (especially near the end as the author loses interest), but most of them are good for a laugh.

Some randomly chosen favorites:
    20031103.gif
    20040216.gif
    20040908.gif

GenoForPrez on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dr. McNinja is comedic gold.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Has anyone mentioned Gunnerkrigg Court yet? No? Well someone should have. It's a story-comic rather than a gag-comic*, though it's hardly devoid of humour (ETA: removed link for spoiler). It's the kind of thing that should be read from the beginning though.

I also like Zap!, even if the convergence of a dramatic fight scene and a now-weekly update schedule means that the story currently moves like molasses. The art makes up for it though :P

*Not that there's anything bad about gag-comics

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rust wrote: »
    You will all read Gunnerkrigg Court.

You will all read it now.

Right now.

Right the hell now.

Page 3.

And yes, while I was skeptical at first (especially with the Ren and Stimpy reference so early on), it's really grown on me. One thing puzzles me, though: in the recent fight scene, what was Mr. Donlan doing just before he pulled out the sword? It just looks like he's sticking his hand out into the air with no apparent reason for doing so.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Actually, I think this is my favorite Men In Hats strip:

20040322.gif

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's not funny at all. Ninja jokes and pretentious artist jokes? :(

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

He painted a picture of ninjas eating tacos.

That in itself is just weird, but then he insists on it being "melancholy" and justifies it by saying ninjas have "no cultural heritage".

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Kupi wrote: »

Right now.

Right the hell now.

Page 3.

And yes, while I was skeptical at first (especially with the Ren and Stimpy reference so early on), it's really grown on me. One thing puzzles me, though: in the recent fight scene, what was Mr. Donlan doing just before he pulled out the sword? It just looks like he's sticking his hand out into the air with no apparent reason for doing so.

That was Englamore, not Donlan. Donlan's hand-gesture threw up that shield against Ysengrin.

Yeah, bit of confusion in that one. The creator admitted as much.

One interesting little tidbit - notice how Coyote lacks a shadow.

Rust on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Right now.

Right the hell now.

Page 3.

You didn't have to burst my bubble, man, I thought I was the first to find it! ;-)

And yeah, I kind of blinked a bit before I figured out that Donlan wasn't the one using the sword there. That's the problem with having action sequences with many people wearing the same uniform: it's hard to tell people apart :|

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    InPraisOfBacchusInPraisOfBacchus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What??? No love for Dominic Deegan??? I love that comic!

InPraisOfBacchus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Fall in a well.

Rust on
  • Options
    GenoForPrezGenoForPrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

He painted a picture of ninjas eating tacos.

That in itself is just weird, but then he insists on it being "melancholy" and justifies it by saying ninjas have "no cultural heritage".

Exactly.

Ninjas are Japanese. Tacos are Mexican. Therefore, by painting Ninjas eating tacos, we get something like three jokes:

1) Traditionally Japanese characters eating traditionally Mexican cuisine = "Poor ninjas. No cultural identity." He's saying that Ninjas don't know their own heritage.

2) He suggests that this idea is "tragic" and "melancholy". His use of the words is a funny exaggeration.

3) He's not a good artist. He kinda blows.

But no joke is funny when it has to be explained. Try looking at some other MIH strips. They're pretty sweet:

20020819.gif

GenoForPrez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Corlis wrote: »

Right now.

Right the hell now.

Page 3.

You didn't have to burst my bubble, man, I thought I was the first to find it! ;-)

And yeah, I kind of blinked a bit before I figured out that Donlan wasn't the one using the sword there. That's the problem with having action sequences with many people wearing the same uniform: it's hard to tell people apart :|

There's also the fact that Reyardine jumped in front of her just as the attack fell. I thought he was the one putting up the shield, not Donlan.

And I just now noticed... Englamore's putting cracks in the ground as he attacks. That's a heck of a lunge!

Kupi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fall in a well.

No thanks. I hear they're dank.....I don't care for dank. Or your opinions for that matter.

InPraisOfBacchus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fall in a well.

No thanks. I hear they're dank.....I don't care for dank. Or your opinions for that matter.

Whoa whoa

Wait

You actually like Dominic Deegan? You weren't joking?

What's wrong with you?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »

I saw that the first time. Is that it? Just menstrual cycle -> blood ? Is that the whole joke?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fall in a well.

Whoa whoa

Wait

What's wrong with you?

I'll admit that it gets off to a rough start (a faux manga art style is grounds for most people to stop reading at comic 1), but comics like this one give me a Sluggy Freelance feeling, and that's not a bad thing so far as I'm concerned. Is there anything specific you don't like about it, or is it just an overall feeling?

Kupi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Pata wrote: »

I saw that the first time. Is that it? Just menstrual cycle -> blood ? Is that the whole joke?

Yeah that's the joke.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fall in a well.

Whoa whoa

Wait

What's wrong with you?

I'll admit that it gets off to a rough start (a faux manga art style is grounds for most people to stop reading at comic 1), but comics like this one give me a Sluggy Freelance feeling, and that's not a bad thing so far as I'm concerned. Is there anything specific you don't like about it, or is it just an overall feeling?

Absolutely atrocious art, horrible clichéd anime fantasy storylines with a Mary Sue self-indulgent main character, poorly developed personal philosophies shoved into said storylines, and unfunny jokes. It's one of the worst webcomics I've ever seen that doesn't actually try to be bad.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Stop spoiling Gunnerkrieg Court, I can already tell from the first two pages that I'm gonna have to read the whole thing.

Damn it, I have homework I should be doing.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fall in a well.

Whoa whoa

Wait

What's wrong with you?

Actually I liked a lot of the earlier stuff, where he was actually a Seer for Hire......not trying to be superman. But, some of the comics still tickle my funny bone. Also, Sam and Fuzzy's one of my favorite comics as well.

InPraisOfBacchus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StarseedStarseed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Used to read Sokura.. it died. (Boo.)

Earthsong. I will look at Inverloch. (I don't follow it much.) Fey Winds is a decent read, if the author updated fairly often. (No complaints but... there isn't enough of it.)

Freefall is also fun. (I don't care. I like intelligent anapormorphs.)

Used to follow Legostar Galatica, but I have to turn off my firewall because the site it's on is made of fail.

Starseed on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm reading through Something Positive, and I love that cat. It's awesome. Gunnerkrieg was pretty kickass too. I'm very intrigued to know where that story is going. Kinda reminds me of a darker combination of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and...another cartoon.

Some of the A Softer World comics are just depressing, but overall very good.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm reading through Something Positive, and I love that cat. It's awesome. Gunnerkrieg was pretty kickass too. I'm very intrigued to know where that story is going. Kinda reminds me of a darker combination of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and...another cartoon.

Some of the A Softer World comics are just depressing, but overall very good.

ChooChoo Bear 4 Life.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm looking for some sort of serious futuristic Western comic. Not quite Firefly, but dammit, I want to see cowboys dual-wielding blasters on a mountainous-to-desert plains world, with tumbleweeds. Where outlaws try to hijack regularly scheduled freighters, and there are tensions with the indigenous people. Where there are saloons with those small swinging doors, and cheating at cards is a killable offense.

Quoting myself...that's a first.

Anyway, is there anything decent out there in the style I quoted above? Or am I going to have to make a version of it myself out of Microsoft Paint stick figures?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Gunnerkrieg was pretty kickass too. I'm very intrigued to know where that story is going. Kinda reminds me of a darker combination of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and...another cartoon.

Can't help but wonder what the "Other" cartoon you're thinking of is. ;3

Anyhoo... I know that despite my attempts at plugging it, Jack will never be terribly popular in non-furry crowds, if only because it's very dark and graphic (Among other things)

Abel's Story is a good alternative if you prefer something a little less heavy handed. Emphasis on 'little'. It's actually a spin-off of DMFA, but it's not particularly necessary to read much from DMFA to appreciate Abel's story, other than a few references here and there that aren't vital to the primary story of it.

I'm kind of hesitant to show off DMFA, purely because it's a very dense read. A big reason for this would be becasue the first 100 or so pages are pretty much crap. The creator didn't really get into the swing of things until around page 200 or so which was where it really picked up. For anyone who bothers giving it a look I would reccomend just picking up somewhere around the middle and see how you like it. It's got a lot of short-term humor that can be appreciated even if you don't fully understand them. And if you ever get into the mood you can get around to trudging through the early part of the archives.

Ah, lemme see....

Have I already mentioned Inverloch? That's a pretty good one. Awesome art and a pretty decent story. Unfortunately it literally just ended a week ago, at over 750 pages. The creator's apparently about to begin another comic in a few weeks which I'll probably keep an eye out for.

So VG Cats updated finally....

... with a guest comic. :|

I hate to agree with the masses, but I can't help it in this case. I'm a big fan of Scott's VG Cats, but he really has been horrible with the updates in recent months. He's had some outstanding strips (Especially the 300 one, which was fucking hilarious) but they're getting further and further apart. I can only surmise that he's gotten bored with the main comic, which is why he's started something new with this "Adventure Log" monthly series that seems to be the journal of an adventurer in FFXI. So far it's been kind of cute and amusing, but his regular stuff is funnier.

As a side note, I tried FFXI recently, and I fucking hated it. The levelling system is shit on a stick.

Wow, that was a long post, huh?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm looking for some sort of serious futuristic Western comic. Not quite Firefly, but dammit, I want to see cowboys dual-wielding blasters on a mountainous-to-desert plains world, with tumbleweeds. Where outlaws try to hijack regularly scheduled freighters, and there are tensions with the indigenous people. Where there are saloons with those small swinging doors, and cheating at cards is a killable offense.

Quoting myself...that's a first.

Anyway, is there anything decent out there in the style I quoted above? Or am I going to have to make a version of it myself out of Microsoft Paint stick figures?

I heard something about a print comic, PA referenced it once, I want to say the name was Daisy Cutter or something? I heard it was a limited run no ongoing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net