As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat][WITTINESS GOES HERE]

• The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Cel, FYI Carnival is huge here. Halloween isn't, though.

With huge I mean: you can't escape it here, nearly everyone is dressed up to some degree and most males are shitfaced all week.
    Dutch males getting shitfaced all week -- I imagine it must be a truly special occasion.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So, I got quoted in a Wired Magazine blog.

I made the comment that WalMart was a pretty great place to buy socks.

They must have really dug to find someone willing to challenge the conventional wisdom like that.

Are you sure you aren't British?

I did live there a little bit as a kid.

And then told Texans at random that I was British because it was easier for them to understand than "I'm from New Mexico - you know, the state."

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Cel, FYI Carnival is huge here. Halloween isn't, though.

With huge I mean: you can't escape it here, nearly everyone is dressed up to some degree and most males are shitfaced all week.
    Dutch males getting shitfaced all week -- I imagine it must be a truly special occasion.
    At first I thought it might be Hash Celebration Week. But then I remembered that every week is Hash Celebration Week in Holland.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Big Box stores can go to hell.

[strike]Fresno's[/strike] The entire fucking country outside the Northeast urban centers are almost entirely Big Box. SURPRISE SURPRISE.

Fixed
    Hey now, there's the occasional West Cost urban center that doesn't fall into this trap, too, so stuff it.

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know what you mean, Aldo. Man, I hate Carnival.

Edit: But I love Carnivale!

Haphazard on
    edited August 2007

[strike]Fresno's[/strike] The entire fucking country outside the Northeast urban centers are almost entirely Big Box. SURPRISE SURPRISE.

Fixed
    Hey now, there's the occasional West Cost urban center that doesn't fall into this trap, too, so stuff it.

Whatever. You do know that, in spite of all the old-timey decorations, Ruby Tuesdays actually isn't a local business?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What's slack-jawed about disliking negative economic effects and shitty, often illegal practices?

Hating Walmart purely off the basis that "they take jobs away from Americans!" or "they're mean to their employees!" is pretty slack-jawed and ignorant.

Hating Walmart because you disagree with the pull-model of supply because it screws manufacturing companies or deceptive pricing schemes because they lead Average Joe to believe he's getting the best deal possible is a respectable stance to take.

Walmart did what? Over a quarter of a trillion dollars* in revenue last year? That's a pretty fucking huge economic channel.

*edit: Looked it up. $344.992 billion according to their 2006 financials.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited August 2007
    Disliking companies that treat their employees badly is "slack-jawed" now?

I mean, the entire labor movement was basically spurred by employers treating their workers poorly.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited August 2007
    Disliking companies that treat their employees badly is "slack-jawed" now?

I mean, the entire labor movement was basically spurred by employers treating their workers poorly.

Not what I'm saying.

I'm talking about angry 15-year-olds who think they have it all figured out and will talk about how badly Walmart treats it's employees but can't even cite howso.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Rhea flyby today! Wooo!

Also, does anyone know of any good online retailer that sells camera equipment, specifically lenses?

Premier kakos on
    edited August 2007

Fixed

Whatever. You do know that, in spite of all the old-timey decorations, Ruby Tuesdays actually isn't a local business?
    You know what? I don't even know what Ruby Tuesdays is, and I don't even know if Portland has one, so once again you can stuff it.

edited August 2007
    Rhea flyby? Like in "my computer will try to strangle me"-Rhea-M?

And hello, kakos!

Haphazard on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Fixed

You know what? I don't even know what Ruby Tuesdays is, and I don't even know if Portland has one, so once again you can stuff it.
    It's like Applebees or TGI Friday's or any dining chain. I <3 my local diner though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited August 2007

Fixed

"And for dinner I know this little out-of-the-way Italian bistro called the Olive Garden - how does that sound, babe?"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    What's slack-jawed about disliking negative economic effects and shitty, often illegal practices?

Hating Walmart purely off the basis that "they take jobs away from Americans!" or "they're mean to their employees!" is pretty slack-jawed and ignorant.

Okay. You're a goddamn moronic twit of a jackass.

They hire Americans. They just treat them like shit.
    Hating Walmart because you disagree with the pull-model of supply because it screws manufacturing companies or deceptive pricing schemes because they lead Average Joe to believe he's getting the best deal possible is a respectable stance to take.

I disagree with treating your employees like shit and breaking the law and reducing local economic levels.
    Walmart did what? Over a quarter of a trillion dollars* in revenue last year? That's a pretty fucking huge economic channel.

And...? I could make some serious money too if I had no concern for human suffering or the law of the land.

Douche.

Incenjucar on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rhea flyby today! Wooo!

Also, does anyone know of any good online retailer that sells camera equipment, specifically lenses?

vistek.ca is great, but they are canada only

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited August 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »

And hello, kakos!

Rhea flyby as in Cassini is going to be passing very close to Rhea, the moon of Saturn.

Premier kakos on
    edited August 2007
    "And for dinner I know this little out-of-the-way Italian bistro called the Olive Garden - how does that sound, babe?"
    The only chain I ever really go to is either Burgerville, a NW regional chain that advertises local, organic ingredients, or Koji, which is a two or three restaurant Japanese chain here in Portland. Outside of that I'm all local eats, all local bars, all the damn time, so stuff it. I might even wander over and eat at the local BBQ joint down the street for lunch, I think.

edited August 2007
    Proto wrote: »
    Rhea flyby today! Wooo!

Yeah, fuck Canada in its ass.

Premier kakos on
    edited August 2007

And hello, kakos!

Rhea flyby as in Cassini is going to be passing very close to Rhea, the moon of Saturn.

Good, it means I'll live! :P

Haphazard on
    edited August 2007
    Where I originally lived, in the bay area, we had this awesome little Chinese place run by a family... best Chinese food I've ever had.

We still go back there every few years to have it again. They still recognize us.

Incenjucar on
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    And now I'm going to attempt to make homemade coke black, with a can of coke and some maxwell house.

MrBallbaggins on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Proto wrote: »
    Rhea flyby today! Wooo!

Yeah, fuck Canada in its ass.

Don't hate us 'cause we're awesome.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited August 2007
    <3 Canada.

I need to visit it after I move to Seattle, since it'll be like, right there.

Incenjucar on
    edited August 2007
    Where I originally lived, in the bay area, we had this awesome little Chinese place run by a family... best Chinese food I've ever had.

We still go back there every few years to have it again. They still recognize us.

In Norwalk, CT there was a Chinese restaurant run by an older gentleman and his wife. It closed for a week and opened and I found out it was now being run by the their son and his wife. I thought that was cool.

Malkor on
    edited August 2007

You white people all look the same.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007

And hello, kakos!

How much life does Cassini have left in it anyway?

Dynagrip on
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    and it is awesome.

MrBallbaggins on
    edited August 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

Okay. You're a goddamn moronic twit of a jackass.

They hire Americans. They just treat them like shit.

I disagree with treating your employees like shit and breaking the law and reducing local economic levels.

And...? I could make some serious money too if I had no concern for human suffering or the law of the land.

Douche.

Not only was I not referencing you specifically in my post, you called me a number of names like a 5th grader because I merely disagree with you. Nice. *Hi5!*

In regards to your last statement (before you called me a douche): Walmart is huge and nigh unstoppable. They move a huge amount of money though our economy, which isn't all that bad. You might as well get used to it.

You know, I actually deleted about 4 or 5 paragraphs out of my response, leaving this truncated mess. If this is the kind of discussion I can look forward to, forget it. You're not worth it.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    <3 Canada.

I need to visit it after I move to Seattle, since it'll be like, right there.
    We'll like hang and shit

Senjutsu on
    edited August 2007
    There's no denying that big box stores are a nightmare for urban development, though.

It's kinda like saying James Brown is the most influential musician who ever lived -- no one can disagree.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, Gooey, I dunno. Walmart might be grand for your economy, but at the cost of their workers rights and the negative effects they have on some small businesses and communities. Seems like a steep price.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Let's just all agree that Walmart sells shitty cheap Chinese crap that no one in their right mind should choose to buy given the means and higher quality alternatives and leave it at that.

Senjutsu on
    edited August 2007

You white people all look the same.

I'm not really white, but okay.

--

Senj: Damn straight.

Incenjucar on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There was a chinese restaurant in CH which was good. It was 'americanized' chinese for sure but it was well priced and tasty. The guy who owned it was 'adopted' by marines in... I forget where, and ever since he gave a discount to police, army men, firemen, etc. He remembered everyone, and immediatly recognized whoever called him for an order on the phone.

Then it closed down, I forget why.

Casual Eddy on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why the fuck have I started watching Naruto again? Fucking Shippuuden started alrightish, but it keeps doing flashbacks and the fights are too Dragonballish. I'm not 13 any more and so it's just not entertaining.

Johannen on
    edited August 2007
    There was a chinese restaurant in CH which was good. It was 'americanized' chinese for sure but it was well priced and tasty. The guy who owned it was 'adopted' by marines in... I forget where, and ever since he gave a discount to police, army men, firemen, etc. He remembered everyone, and immediatly recognized whoever called him for an order on the phone.

Then it closed down, I forget why.

You tell stories like my sister. Except she says 'like' alot.

Malkor on
    edited August 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Let's just all agree that Walmart sells shitty cheap Chinese crap that no one in their right mind should choose to buy given the means and higher quality alternatives and leave it at that.

No arguments here. Personally, I don't shop at Walmart, ever. Nor would I want to work for them (corporate division or otherwise).

I just think there is a lot of unecessary bandwagoning going on with all the Walmart hate. By people who don't even know the first thing about business/economics. They do great things for our economy, but is that more valuable than the negative side effects? That's the question. Personally, I think so.

I see a lot of the same attitude with people's regards to oil companies and outsourcing. Don't get me started on that.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited August 2007
    Johannen wrote: »
    Why the fuck have I started watching Naruto again? Fucking Shippuuden started alrightish, but it keeps doing flashbacks and the fights are too Dragonballish. I'm not 13 any more and so it's just not entertaining.

Did you go to PAX?

Naruto was all over the place. So much orange.

--

Gooey: Not everyone gets their opinions from the local news. This is one of the stupider places to assume people have knee-jerk reasons for their opinions.

Incenjucar on
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's the cliffhangers, man

It's easier to peruse the translated manga-it's a good 2-3 plot arcs ahead.
    PS-I'm 14. :(

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.