As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shameless Braggery! A thread on individual achievement.

ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a thread where you get to brag about cases of individual achievement, i.e. things you did - accomplished is the right word perhaps - that you were really proud of. Achievements that caused your self-esteem to skyrocket. Deeds that made you feel awesome.

It can be anything. Absolutely anything! Landing that awesome job, or a date with that amazing girl, getting into college, earning a medal. Or simply things you did that made other people go, "holy shit that's awesome!"

Like waffles.

waffle.jpg

But not quite!

Finally, the thread you have been waiting for where you can throw away your Sword of Modesty and replace it with the Holy Bragger +5! Reveal to the readers of D&D your true charisma score.

FOCUS:
Share cases of individual achievement, where you accomplished something after working hard for it and it made you feel great about yourself.

ege02 on

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "Saint" and "7 Day Survivor" in Dead Rising. Also, "1,000,000 points" in Geometry Wars.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Chipping keepers makes life worth living.

Low Key on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    <omg yummy waffles>

Dammit, ege. Now I really want to have waffles.

Belgian Waffles.

My greatest achievement is sentimental really... I got an internship at a place that rocks. I don't really think awards are personally relevant to me, so I'm not a huge fan of flipping out about then. My soon-to-be achievement (hopefully) is graduating from college. Oh, and surviving long enough to be a senior on a Div 1 varsity athletics team.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    -

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I haven't paid attention for the last long while in my life and everything just keeps falling into place. I ended up with a technical degree from a top tier school, a well paying job, an awesome wife, and besides the money... I can't imagine my company having better people working for it.

I'm actually waiting for the other shoe to drop. Life can't be this easy, can it? :lol:

I've accomplished being lazy and having it work out by dumb luck (some connections and bullshitting).

I don't, however, have any waffles.

PeekingDuck on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    He climbed Mount Everest blindfold while fucking Elizabeth Kucinich! TO WESLEY CLARK!

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    22 on the ACT in the 7th grade made me feel cool.

In the 7th grade.

SniperGuy on
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A year ago, my Comp Sci prof gave us an assignment to write a program to solve a certain problem. He gave us one solution to it, but it was in O(n^3) time, which mean that as the problem got larger the time required to solve it would increase cubically. The prof told us that there was a solution that would work in O(n*log(n)) time, which is very good, but as that was a little complex he just wanted us to design a solution that would work in O(n^2) time, which is still pretty decent.

Well, this gave me a headache as I was trying to solve it, though he'd said that the O(n^2) version was similar to a problem that we had just been working on. Eventually I got something that appeared to work and submitted it, hoping it was right. When we got the assignment back, he announced that someone had figured out the O(n*log(n)) solution, and, since this is a thread about braggery, it obviously turned out to be me, which made me very happy for a while!

I feel like such a horrific geek now.
    The problem was to take an array of real numbers, and figure out what subarray of that array had the highest product. My solution was a bit ugly, but it mostly worked!

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    Based on my career score, I'm in roughly the top 3% of Guitar Hero 2 players in the world.

Shit, I should go edit my resume.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited August 2007
    I got a 2000 on my SAT's
    750- CR
    670- Writing
    580- Math
    11 on my essay

Finding out it's kind of worthless
    D:

I got a 1440, prior to the long string of wussifications. In today's numbers, it would be about a 2250.

I missed one question on the math section. The sucky thing is that I realized it about 30 seconds after handing it in. I asked if I could change one little thing, and they sort of glared at me.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My first word was "helicopter".

Veegeezee on
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    28 on the ACT and 1500 on the SATs.

Teaching myself Spanish.

Getting published.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
    edited August 2007
    My daughter is cute and smart and everyone loves her.

Also, she wrote her name today for the first time.

ElJeffe on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got a 32 on my ACT, you jive suckas.

Perfect 36s in Reading and Writing, too.

And 299 on the PSAT, which was the highest in my high school.

Only got a 1290 on the SAT, though.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2007
    And she can operate a DVD player.

With her mind.

ElJeffe on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I got a 2000 on my SAT's
    750- CR
    670- Writing
    580- Math
    11 on my essay

D:

I got a 1440, prior to the long string of wussifications. In today's numbers, it would be about a 2250.

I missed one question on the math section. The sucky thing is that I realized it about 30 seconds after handing it in. I asked if I could change one little thing, and they sort of glared at me.

I am so glad I never wasted my time with those SAT prep sessions and SAT test books.

So glad.

The scores I got were so random it was not even worth studying specific material. Just let me know how the test is laid out and how much I get penalized for guessing.

The odd thing is how some schools base most of their acceptance off SAT scores and some schools could care two shits about them. And if you must know, I got a 1340 on the SAT and 31 on ACT. Why did I take both? Because I'm a tool.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited August 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I got a 2000 on my SAT's
    750- CR
    670- Writing
    580- Math
    11 on my essay

D:

I am so glad I never wasted my time with those SAT prep sessions and SAT test books.

So glad.

The scores I got were so random it was not even worth studying specific material. Just let me know how the test is laid out and how much I get penalized for guessing.

The odd thing is how some schools base most of their acceptance off SAT scores and some schools could care two shits about them. And if you must know, I got a 1340 on the SAT and 31 on ACT. Why did I take both? Because I'm a tool.

That reminds me. I have to beg my college for money and say... "Look. See my scores? You have to give me money!"
    They also didn't believe me when I told them my scores.
    They were like " Why are you going to a community college? :x "

• ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I moved to the city, lived in a crappy studio apartment and worked two jobs, then 55 hours per week at one job I hated, while taking care of my sick wife so she could finish her degree.

Shinto on
  • GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »

That is indeed awesome.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I took a Rorschach test and saw two samurai high-fiving, baffling the practitioner.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

In the 7th grade.

Me too. were you perchance in the Midwest talent search?

Its funny too because I got the same score as my sister got 2 times even though she some classes and was in high school when she took it. The thing is she usually gets better grades than me too. Although, I am incredibly lazy. Unfortunately, I only got a crappy 28 when I took it in high school.

Also, proving myself better than my programming teacher, by writing a much more efficient code that she didn't understand and had to explain to her. Also everyone went to me when they had programming questions, but that was annoying too.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
    edited August 2007

In the 7th grade.

Me too. were you perchance in the Midwest talent search?

Its funny too because I got the same score as my sister got 2 times even though she some classes and was in high school when she took it. The thing is she usually gets better grades than me too. Although, I am incredibly lazy. Unfortunately, I only got a crappy 28 when I took it in high school.

Also, proving myself better than my programming teacher, by writing a much more efficient code that she didn't understand and had to explain to her. Also everyone went to me when they had programming questions, but that was annoying too.
    Intellectualism is such a burden to carry. :P

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

In the 7th grade.
    Dude, I beat the shit out of your ACT score. I got a 32. Same grade.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got into Law School, which everyone is telling me I should be proud about.
    Which is odd, because it feels like I fell back in time about 4 years. Law school feels like high school except with much more reading and everyone more or less lives in the library. Seriously! We even get lockers and most people bring their lunch and there's a "cafe" that's really more of a cafeteria and you're stuck in the same classes with the same hundred people.

Bad Kitty on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I went to university for 4 years, and the only thing I learned there was how to roll amazing joints.

I can brag about that... right?

Al_wat on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Back when I was still a Computer Science major, we had a programming lab to write something that would take nokia ringtone-format textfiles and output them as waves. Well, the library we had to do that was half-assed - there weren't any rests, and they didn't take dotted notes into account. Hearing the Super Mario 3 World 1 overland theme butchered pissed me off, so I rewrote that bitch and sent it in. The prof then sent it back out, but he'd screwed something up, so I got to fix his shit twice and got specially mentioned and credited in the code.

'Course I stopped taking programming after that, but it felt damn good at the time.

Salvation122 on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »

"Telekinesis" is a better first word. ;-) (My dad like Ultima, I caught on fast)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am the lovechild of mediocrity and underwhelming.

Yet I smile every so often.

Gim on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I won a pizza in a rawing competition at age 6

Then I won a mars bar in another drawing competition in year 7 sciece class (design a functional monster)

I rode for a kilometer no handed on a busy, hilly footpath, only stopping because I had to cross a road (4 lane highway).

I taught my dog how to sit when my mother failed. Now she sits every time and is perfect at it. I thought that was pretty cool.

I also had some architecture students grab my design assignment and start yelling about how awesome my design was.
    Everyone dislikes me at school, so it's a pretty big thing for me to be complemented

The Black Hunter on
  • djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's really sad that the only thing I can come up with was about 15 years ago, but it was going 55kms one day on snowshoes. Technically it was a race but if I was on the team it was more of a 'just get it done' sort of thing. Took us 14 hours, in February and done in 2 sets, something like 35kms have lunch then do the other 20kms. Yeah I went to one of them private schools with character building, I think I'm oozing character nowadays from some of the stuff we did. At the time I was ahead in school from skipping a grade so was in a bracket higher than the kids my age, would have only had to do 45kms if I hadn't skipped. Oh boy I remember being damn sore after those 'races' no matter how well I stretched.

djklay on
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I moved to the city, lived in a crappy studio apartment and worked two jobs, then 55 hours per week at one job I hated, while taking care of my sick wife so she could finish her degree.

It would be kinda weird if you actually did start bragging about that though.

Low Key on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have not once had a hangover, despite drinking large sums of alcohol any time I've been offered it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I did really well recently in my improv class. it's just an intro level but I felt very good after the show. the last skit was based on my idea and was probably the best of the show.

I tend to always think I suck so this was a nice change of events.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I killed a bunch of people.

siliconenhanced on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I spent 17 years not being able to snap my fingers. Then, over the course of my first year of university, I taught myself how to do it with months and months of practice.

A year well spent.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm finishing my degree and my honors project is actually showing some interesting and worthwhile results.

electricitylikesme on
  • GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I finally read my chapter of textbook and took notes on it tonight. On the third day of school, god, I really didn't want to. Blame it on chronicprocrastination. But I got it done. YAY

GroovyMr1337 on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got a job that I applied for as basically a hail-mary attempt, because I kicked fucking ass in my interview. So in two weeks I went from "what the fuck am I going to do with my life" to "holy fucking shit I'm a big people now."

On saturday I leave for london for an all-expenses paid training session at their headquarters, with a week's stop in Bulgaria just for good measure.

Then when I get back I will make more money than I've ever made in my life, while working (as of March) not three blocks from my house.

Oh, and my cock can sing the national anthem. It's a great party trick.

MikeMan on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    not the chat thread.

electricitylikesme on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Charmy wrote: »
    I spent 17 years not being able to snap my fingers. Then, over the course of my first year of university, I taught myself how to do it with months and months of practice.

A year well spent.

I went to a camp with a group of newly reaquainted freinds.

Little did I know it involved 4 hours of praying a day.

I soon learnt how to do arm farts and finger snapping, I can only do it with one hand though.

The Black Hunter on