As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shameless Braggery! A thread on individual achievement.

• Options
    CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    One time, I read a book.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • Options
    PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've achieved two of my major life goals. I've worked as a concept artist and I've created a comic book, before the age of 21, and despite my current slump, I intend to rebuild my portfolio and take another crack at both.

I only got a 1220 on my SAT (old one), but my math score was 680, and I would've done better than 540 on the English, but I didn't notice that I hadn't done the last two stories in the reading comprehension section until there were only 5 minutes left.

I've had worldwide top scores in a couple of videogames.

I learned to add, subtract, read and write when I was 2, and was doing math at a college level in the 4th grade.

I got out of the hood, with no criminal record, no addictions, no diseases and no illegitimate kids. I'm a statistical anomaly.

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Shinto wins.

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was in something like the 97th or 99th percentile on my PSAT score, which led to me being named a National Merit Scholar. I then found out that Ohio State gives all National Merit Scholars a full tuition + $4000 stipend per year scholarship if they indicate on their National Merit information form that OSU is their first choice school (yes, I think it's batshit insane too, but I'm not complaining). Finally, I got a $2000/yr scholarship from the Ohio Board of Regents.

I am currently being paid $1,759.00 per quarter by the Ohio State University to attend the school and maintain a 3.3 GPA (to stay in the Honors program). When I think about that, and how I will have zero debt coming out of school, I feel pretty damn lucky.

Also, my girlfriend is smoking hot. :lol:

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I got a 2000 on my SAT's
    750- CR
    670- Writing
    580- Math
    11 on my essay

Finding out it's kind of worthless
    D:

I got a 1440, prior to the long string of wussifications. In today's numbers, it would be about a 2250.

I missed one question on the math section. The sucky thing is that I realized it about 30 seconds after handing it in. I asked if I could change one little thing, and they sort of glared at me.
    1490 BITCH.

Also I got the highest score in the continent on a prestigious professional certification exam in my career field. That was rad. One bastard in London beat me by a point.

Oh, and while I'm one-upping you, my son is younger and has been writing his name for a couple weeks. BITCH.

Also one time in physics in college, the professor decided to use calculus to prove a mechanical law, I forget, I think it was like f=ma or something, anyway he filled an entire white board, the huge kind with a section that rolls back and forth, with calc eqs. He kept tellin us not to worry, the math wouldn't be on the exam, so people were seriously starting to pass out. He finally finished it and his answer was completely wrong. It was obvious that he got the opposite of what he was supposed to get, and f != ma. He was basically panicked and staring at his massive equations and the lecture hall was rolling their eyes like, "whatever" when I finally gussied up the courage to raise my hand and point out exactly where he made an error using infinity, which caused the whole equation to fall back into line. The prof was like worshipping me and smiling and stretching his hand out to me and saying, "The Yar, everyone. Thank you." It was a little much.

Yar on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can now solve a Rubik's Cube in 4 minutes or less.

As my dad used to tell me when I was a teenager, "that and 75 cents will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's."

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can juggle 5 balls.

Also, 1560 pre-SAT scoring change.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got my degree in 4 years. It is actually more impressive than it sounds, but not by much.

Also, I've beaten my previous record of 'most consecutive days alive' this morning.

moniker on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm persistently the best Double Dasher in my group at home, which consists of 30+ people. When it's time for teams to get chosen, I am the driver that every gunner wants.

This is pretty much the exact opposite of my status in our beach volleyball games, but whatevs.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I broke the Tennessee state reading tests when I was six. Not sure if that counts for anything, but since we're rattling off early-life stuff, what the hell.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I broke the Tennessee state reading tests when I was six. Not sure if that counts for anything, but since we're rattling off early-life stuff, what the hell.

Oh shit, yeah, I did pretty much the same thing.

My parents owning a bookstore probably helped me out.

Also, not to have my other achievement BOTP'd:

I'm persistently the best Double Dasher in my group at home, which consists of 30+ people. When it's time for teams to get chosen, I am the driver that every gunner wants.

This is pretty much the exact opposite of my status in our beach volleyball games, but whatevs.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Also one time in physics in college, the professor decided to use calculus to prove a mechanical law, I forget, I think it was like f=ma or something, anyway he filled an entire white board, the huge kind with a section that rolls back and forth, with calc eqs. He kept tellin us not to worry, the math wouldn't be on the exam, so people were seriously starting to pass out. He finally finished it and his answer was completely wrong. It was obvious that he got the opposite of what he was supposed to get, and f != ma. He was basically panicked and staring at his massive equations and the lecture hall was rolling their eyes like, "whatever" when I finally gussied up the courage to raise my hand and point out exactly where he made an error using infinity, which caused the whole equation to fall back into line. The prof was like worshipping me and smiling and stretching his hand out to me and saying, "The Yar, everyone. Thank you." It was a little much.

I can imagine this situation perfectly, and it makes the engineer in me very giddy. Awesome. 8-)

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I was the valedictorian of my high school. I had to give a speech and everything.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    For my Year 12 software design I designed and wrote a basic 3D engine for a game. Looking back on it I probably could have done it better, but that vs. everyone else doing simple "push butan" stuff in VB means I probably went way overboard.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Dead China DollDead China Doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've won 200 dollars in a freewrite poetry contest.

Though my real claim to fame is the ability to make Tube say Touche.
    I've really lost count how many times.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I landed a cushy, high paying job quite by accident while still going to college (junior college, no less) that allowed me to pay for my education, plus ensure that I won't go into debt right out of college.

Also I got into one of the top 10 private liberal arts colleges in the nation.

Also also I'm like in the top 1% of Guitar Hero 2 players in the world, based on my scores.

Go me.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I invented "omgwtfbbq" in 1998.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, my team just won the recent D&D phalla.

Go team!
    Edit: Also, I dropped out because the school system is lame (I was failing out) then went ahead and got a full-ride scholarship to a community college because I aced portions of the GED exam. The lady who gave me my scores asked me why the hell I dropped out of highschool. xD

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i discovered the lumber bug in warcraft 2. i told about 10 other peeps on Kali about it, and we rocked the world for about 1 week before we told Blizzard about it.

the lumber bug was huge.

Serpent on
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I attended four years in a "southern baptist farming community's" public high school and, though tempted, never welded the doors closed and burnt it to the ground.

I think I deserve a goddamned award.

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you did it right, burning it to the ground would have welded the doors shut for you. With flaming debris.

moniker on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I learned how to be pretty much okay with myself.

It was harder than it sounds.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I may be responsible for introducing lawyers into Paranoia.

No, I'm not joking.

Yes, I'm sorry.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Feral wrote: »

I am still learning this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Feral wrote: »

I am still learning this.

I have been pretty ok with Feral for a while. I win!

Low Key on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Those missing 20 points still haunt me.

MrMister on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    academic stuff doesn't count for me, because it doesn't feel like I'm trying hard enough to brag. But I'm learning to run properly and I've never once backslid in my training program, even though I had to take a bigass break in the middle of it :D

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    academic stuff doesn't count for me, because it doesn't feel like I'm trying hard enough to brag.

I've never been much for bragging, anyway. Partially because I've always been surrounded by high-achievers, and hence not thought of myself as the biggest fish in the sea.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah - I got myself super fit, then stopped excerising and slowly lapsed back to terrible, then super-fit again, and now I'm lapsing again.

EDIT: Also I tend to consider what I do right now academically something any idiot could do. This is probably somewhat true with the people I'm around, but less true of people who haven't done a science degree.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got into a fight in year seven and in one move I managed to remove the other guys shoes, trip him over and pull his shirt over his head.

Note, he charged me.
    Note^2, It was all luck

ALSO: I went from 3rd weakest male in my grade to average in under a year.
    An Acheivement I think is quite good compared to the contrary of nothing

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    academic stuff doesn't count for me, because it doesn't feel like I'm trying hard enough to brag.

I've never been much for bragging, anyway. Partially because I've always been surrounded by high-achievers, and hence not thought of myself as the biggest fish in the sea.

Yeah same situation for me. I went to a pressure cooker boarding school where everyone(except me!) was a genious or were literally rolling in cash, or both. Going to one of those places makes you realize that most academic achievements don't mean shit and that being ok with yourself meant a lot more.

furiousNU on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah - I got myself super fit, then stopped excerising and slowly lapsed back to terrible, then super-fit again, and now I'm lapsing again.

EDIT: Also I tend to consider what I do right now academically something any idiot could do. This is probably somewhat true with the people I'm around, but less true of people who haven't done a science degree.
    Seriously. A monkey could do my labwork, provided he refrained from throwing his shit around.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I gotta say, I'm kind of an underachiever in my group of peers, who are all massive overachievers in one respect or another. I have two friends who do parkour. One of them toured with Madonna, the other one is going to be on Survivor 15. One of my friends managed to pick up every possible skill with computers imaginable while still in highschool and started making $1 million a year or so as soon as he got out.

That sort of thing.

I like to consider myself the jack of all trades among my friends, for the most part. I guess I'm the only one who's going to China for a year, but whatevs.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I won a coloring contest in 1st grade for Papa Gino's and got to see it posted in the fire house and won a whole fricking PIZZA PARTY! All the other fucking kids could not color things the right colors and in the lines and solidly and awesomely like I could. Fuckers!

Since you people are mentioning your SAT scores, I'm not really proud of this or would mention this normally, but I just wanted to one up you with my 2380 (which would be a 1580 in old terms). kthxbai.

EDIT2: Oh. MrMister. We tied. let's be friends.

EDIT: Oh, you know what I am proud of, is that I have, all my life, been the most unathletic out of shape person ever.. didn't even play a sport or exercise at all in 4 years of HS till spring semester senior year when I did BJJ outside of school. Enjoyed it, kept it up, and then when we had a tourney at my college against other schools, I actually beat 2 people before I lost, and I personally was very proud of myself even though it is not really a big deal.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Since you people are mentioning your SAT scores, I'm not really proud of this or would mention this normally, but I just wanted to one up you with my 2380 (which would be a 1580 in old terms). kthxbai.

Hi5!

What's such fun is that I have a friend who got a 1570. Neener neener neener to her!

MrMister on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I won the class a free sausage sizzle in 5th grade with my incredible speedreading abilities.

Also I'm the world's single most amusing drunkard. Apparantly the funniest thing I've ever said is "I'm the Analogy King, baby!" No, I don't get it either. It's all in the context and the delivery, which means I'll never be able to repeat it, but I am reliably assured it was hilarious.

Also, my penis is like an enormous train.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was the second person to finish Doomdark's Revenge on the ZX Spectrum (by Mike Singleton, who went on to do Midwinter and I think Carrier Command). There was a competition, you see.

When I was 9 years old I was in our local paper for winning a fancy dress competition. As Darth Vader.

Also I used to be able to play Space Invaders nearly indefinitely (I had a machine in my house for 6 months).

And I learnt Japanese, mostly by playing Final Fantasy. I'm not sure whether to be ashamed of that or proud.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I also have a pretty good beard.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I was the valedictorian of my high school. I had to give a speech and everything.
    My brother was the valedictorian a couple of years later. Hurray for superior genetics.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    I got my degree in 4 years. It is actually more impressive than it sounds, but not by much.

Also, I've beaten my previous record of 'most consecutive days alive' this morning.

Getting your degree in four years at most real schools is considered an accomplishment, since most kids take five or six to do it. I was going to get mine in three, but then I decided that I'd rather relax and take a bunch more classes, because I enjoyed learning. I graduated in four, but with something like 210 units, not counting the half dozen classes I sat in on. (I tended to sit in on classes outside my major, because a lot of non-engineering professors were of the opinion that nobody should get As unless they're utter geniuses, and gave out maybe one A per quarter. I wasn't about to hamstring my GPA just so I could learn about art history, or something.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.