As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Old, the Good, and the Cheap: 360

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So. I just got a 360. I got Bioshock, obviously. And Gears. Now I'm realizing that I don't have another $800 on me right this moment, which means I need to find some games that don't break the bank.

My budget successes so far are Crackdown and Call of Duty 2. I also got Zuma for $5 during the XBLA sale last weekend. Crackdown is simply the funnest, and the cheat pack has made it my favorite sandbox ever. Call of Duty 2 suffered from being a game that I had to play on Veteran, and also some really odd design decisions. But it was $20, and when it was good it was good.

So, what other titles are old, cheap, and good? XBLA or retail, so long as it doesn't go over $20-$30.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aegis Wing? I've gotten a few games from my blockbuster that were $25 used (EDF, SC: DA, Virtua Tennis, Tomb Raider).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dead Rising is a compulsory purchase. Buy it now.

GRAW too maybe. Vegas. viva pinata are all budget now I think.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lego Star Wars is $20 new at Target around here as well.

Yes it's the 360 version

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yeah, Dead Rising is another that is exceptional value for money. Just remember that you don't have to complete it right from the start, you can screw around in the mall, level up, then go back to the start with your new-found abilities and tackle the storyline. I didn't do this and found it rather hard, but that's not how it's meant to be played.
    Amped 3 is also good fun, and should be dirt cheap by now.

edit: and just try every demo, you may always find a hidden gem on there, and if not.. well they're free anyway.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you start sucking cock now maybe you'll have enough to get Halo 3 and Mass Effect when they come out.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Condemned is somewhere between $15/20. Ridge Racer 6 is $15.

Live near a Fry's? Check there.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    XBLA. Symphony of the Night is required playing. Bomberman Live is excellent. Plenty of other stuff on there.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I got Aegis Wing, I've been trying the demos, too. Does every game get a demo? The issue with it is that I can't be certain I'm not missing something, and I have no idea what each game actually costs, should I like the demo.

So, Dead Rising seems like a must. I've heard R6:V is a lot like Gears. Is it much cheaper?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Virtua Tennis 3 is like $15 at circut city. Is this a game I should buy? I know the Virtua Tennis that was on DC was pretty good. Also Chromehounds is the same price at CC. Either of them worth it?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dead Rising is great as long as you realize that you're not meant to play through the campaign right away. Just mess around in the mall and rescue people when you first play, and you can start over any time once you've gotten some levels to actually enjoy the story missions.

Zek on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got Aegis Wing, I've been trying the demos, too. Does every game get a demo? The issue with it is that I can't be certain I'm not missing something, and I have no idea what each game actually costs, should I like the demo.

So, Dead Rising seems like a must. I've heard R6:V is a lot like Gears. Is it much cheaper?

Vegas I think is still up there... it certainly hasn't hit $30 yet. However, it is fantastic, and is very much like Gears. I enjoyed the single-player game in Vegas a lot more than Gears, but Dom is fucking retarded, so that may have something to do with it.

As others said, Condemned is a must. If you like platformers, Kameo is a lot of fun (screw you guys).

If you want some XBLA titles, and enjoy board games, I'll throw support out for Catan and Carcassonne.

Lastly, Geometry Wars. Now.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Burnout Revenge

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Burnout Revenge

What?

No.

Godfather on
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes

*EDIT: Also, any xbox games that are backwards compatible might be a good choice for some cheaper gaming.

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    yeah, Dead Rising is another that is exceptional value for money. Just remember that you don't have to complete it right from the start, you can screw around in the mall, level up, then go back to the start with your new-found abilities and tackle the storyline. I didn't do this and found it rather hard, but that's not how it's meant to be played.
    Amped 3 is also good fun, and should be dirt cheap by now.

edit: and just try every demo, you may always find a hidden gem on there, and if not.. well they're free anyway.

Ya, I was going to add, "Hey just try the demos, maybe you'll find something you enjoy you maybe would normally skip since it got mediocre reviews". Also another vote in for XBLA, lot of gems in there.

As for Dead Rising, DAMNIT! I didn't realize that... No wonder the game's so bloody hard for me.

BladeX on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    If you start sucking cock now maybe you'll have enough to get Halo 3 and Mass Effect when they come out.
    No, what you do is put an add on Craigslist posing as a desparate college chick offering to suck cock at much higher rates. Then when people take you up on it and meet Candy at a motel, you beat them with a bat and take the cash. Bigger money, less dick in your mouth. It's the perfect plan.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dead Rising is a definite purchase, and you should listen to people's advice here on how to play it.

Kameo is recommendable, and it's cheep. Gorgeous too.

Viva Pinata is also $20 or less, and its a fantastic game once you figure it out.

And yea, XBLA and demos, natch.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I agree with the people recommending to hold off and save up your pennies for the AAA titles coming out over the next couple months.

But if thats not your bag then the cheapies I recommend:

Shadowrun is down to $39.99 new can probably pick it up for half that used. Need a gold account for this one though.

PGR3 is excellent and should be cheap. Although PGR4 comes out Oct 2nd.

Dead Rising as others have said, should be cheap now.

as far as XBLA goes some of my favorites have been/are:
    Geometry Wars
    Marble Blast Ultra
    Space Giraffe
    Hexic 2
    Bomberman Live

I'm fairly sure theres a demo on the marketplace for all of the games I mentioned. Try before you buy FTW

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    GEOMETRY WARS

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Top Spin 2 is $20 now.

Virtua Tennis 3 can be found for thirty at Gamestop.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    Tony Hawk's Project 8 is only $20 now, if you like Tony Hawk games.

Tomb Raider Legend is also $20 and it is fantastic

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Earth Defense Force 2017. Ever seen them? What about Plan 9 from outer space.

Giant bugs, giant robots, space ships, every single B-monster movie cliche, all packed into one game where you get to explode and shoot the shit out of them.

Also, Co-op.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually, I did enjoy the demo for Tomb Raider, it really surprised me.

And the demos in general really are an amazingly nice thing to have, but are there demos for all games currently released? That, and adding a "currently $X" would make them even more useful.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually, I did enjoy the demo for Tomb Raider, it really surprised me.

And the demos in general really are an amazingly nice thing to have, but are there demos for all games currently released? That, and adding a "currently $X" would make them even more useful.
    Not for all games, but for a lot.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    oh, do yourself a favour and nab the skate and Flatout demos. Those two have kept me entertained easily as much as a lot of full-priced games, and are a great go-to when i feel like playing something.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BC:

Unreal Championship 2
    Thief
    HL2

august on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    BC:
    HL2

I don't see how you can recommend that when we're getting a non-shitty version of it in October on 360.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oops.

august on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, I think this is on topic here., Does anyone have tips for good places to look for cheap-ass used games online other than eBay/amazon/EBstop? I like browsing through that kind of stuff, and any additional stops would be welcome.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dead Rising

Viva Pinata

Earth Defence 2017

These games are pretty damn cheap and sheer awesome, Dead Rising for being a very fun game if you just know not to take the game to seriously and learn to just mess around and have a laugh, Viva Pinata because it's one of the best looking, and one of the most uniqe games I'v ever played and Earth Defence because, well, imagine the starship troopers given Serious Sam's armoury of weapons and sent off to fight every alien and monster ever seen in a late night B-movie. And there are explosions, lots and lots of huge, pretty explosions.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    a131_8.JPG
    Seriously, go on eBay and get this. It looks, sounds, and even seems to TRY to be a crappy budget game, yet somehow manages to be pure awesome.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    CaspianX wrote: »
    a131_8.JPG
    Seriously, go on eBay and get this. It looks, sounds, and even seems to TRY to be a crappy budget game, yet somehow manages to be pure awesome.

I'v said it before, the fact that it IS a low budget game with a lot of rough edges just adds to it's B-movie charm.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    there isn't a demo of that up, is there? It's one i hadn't considered before, but you're making it sound pretty good. I just think i'd like to try before i drop money on it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    there isn't a demo of that up, is there? It's one i hadn't considered before, but you're making it sound pretty good. I just think i'd like to try before i drop money on it.
    It's only 20 dollars.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    and only £18 here, i see, but there's a whole lot coming out. I might look into it after Christmas.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Honestly, I have had more fun with Earth Defense Force than I ever had with the Halo games.

I absolutely love the insane weapon variety (and in turn, the collectability element the game has trying to unlock them all), and the absolutely ridiculous enemy designs are so laughably terrible they actually come out the other side as awesome - seriously, you fight giant ants with graphics that make it look like someone just upturned an ant farm over a scale model. And of course, there's the awesome destructible environments, which the game makes absolutely no attempt to dissuade you from blowing to pieces. I just blew up a 50-story skyscraper? Whoops. My bad. Oh, and then there's the Iron Giant-style robots you fight and... yeah, for a super-cheap game with super-low production values, it just has wall-to-wall awesome.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What about Fight Night Round 3?

That got some good reviews at first, any verdict on whether it's worth going back to now?

That said, any fighting game might be good. Is DoA really the only option?

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That got some good reviews at first, any verdict on whether it's worth going back to now?

Download the demo first.

I bought the game because it was only $30 and got glowing reviews, only to find out I hated hated hated the controls and the game was thus unplayable to me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    august wrote: »
    BC:
    HL2

I don't see how you can recommend that when we're getting a non-shitty version of it in October on 360.

There is nothing shitty about the Xbox version of HL2 except for an occasional stutter when you're loading a new area. That, and lack of multiplayer.

But the kicker is, the poster is looking for cheap games, and HL2 Orange Box is gonna be $60. I bought a brand new copy of HL2 for the Xbox for $5 at a Best Buy a few months ago. Buying the Xbox version and playing through singleplayer right now wouldn't be a bad idea, and then once Ornage Box is out the poster would know whether or not they enjoyed the game enough to shell out $60 to play Episode 1 and 2 and TF2 and all that stuff.

Also, I'll second Ridge Racer 6. It's awesome purist arcade racing (no traffic to dodge or parts to buy and tune), which isn't for everyone, but it's still the best pick up and play game that I've found so far on the system. And there is a ton of races to do and cars to unlock if you feel like putting some time into it.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Download the demo first.

I bought the game because it was only $30 and got glowing reviews, only to find out I hated hated hated the controls and the game was thus unplayable to me.

I would agree with this advice, but I'll add you should give the controls some time, they definetly grow on you. Oh, and like every other game, online sucks becuase people are assholes. Still a good game, I reccomend it.

Virtua fighter 5 is coming out soon, but that wont be cheap.

As for demos, definetly check out Timeshift, its alot of fun.

I just got dead rising, seems pretty good, but those
    fuckers on the jeep
    keep killing me. D:

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3