As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Old, the Good, and the Cheap: 360

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    august wrote: »
    BC:
    HL2

I don't see how you can recommend that when we're getting a non-shitty version of it in October on 360.

There is nothing shitty about the Xbox version of HL2 except for an occasional stutter when you're loading a new area. That, and lack of multiplayer.

If by "occasionally stutters" you mean "shakes like an epileptic" and by "loading a new area" you mean "all the fucking time", then yes, Half-Life 2 occasionally stutters when loading a new area.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BC:
    HL2

I don't see how you can recommend that when we're getting a non-shitty version of it in October on 360.

I didn't know that. I was close to buying the Xbox version of HL2 for like 11 bucks too. I thought it be a steal since I havent played it.

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    BC:
    HL2

There is nothing shitty about the Xbox version of HL2 except for an occasional stutter when you're loading a new area. That, and lack of multiplayer.

If by "occasionally stutters" you mean "shakes like an epileptic" and by "loading a new area" you mean "all the fucking time", then yes, Half-Life 2 occasionally stutters when loading a new area.

Your Xbox is likely having disc access issues, which can cause "stuttering" for games that stream a lot of data off of the game disc. If you fire up any of the Grand Theft Auto games you'll likely get the same stutters and missing textures here and there.

My Xbox only stutters for a few seconds right after an area load and I had a framerate drop once when all hell broke loose in a room full of dudes.

Einhander on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    there isn't a demo of that up, is there? It's one i hadn't considered before, but you're making it sound pretty good. I just think i'd like to try before i drop money on it.
    It's only 20 dollars.

Where?

Anywhere I look it's $40...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Tyrant526Tyrant526 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What about Fight Night Round 3?

That got some good reviews at first, any verdict on whether it's worth going back to now?

That said, any fighting game might be good. Is DoA really the only option?

Well, the HD version of SF2 is coming out soon. Theres also Def Jam: Icon and the Smackdown games. But ya, fighting is lacking a bit.

I LOVE fight night. I can't tell you how many times me and my friends beat the shit out of each other in it. Of course, if you don't like analog controls.... Just try the demo first. Its still gorgeous after all this time.

As for cheap 360 stuff:

Tomb Raider: Legend is fantastic. Surprisingly so, actually. A little short, but the gameplay is really good and whats there for story is fun.

Hitman: Blood Money. If you like the Hitman games and style, its a good one.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent is good despite what everyone says now, a year+ after its come out. Just more splinter cell, with a decent story.

GRAW 1: Should be cheap now that 2 is out. Really fucking fantastic.

PGR3 should be dirt cheap with 4 coming out soon. Mix of sim and arcade with fantastic graphics.

Condemned is overlooked alot but it was one of my reasons to get a 360. The plot goes a little wanky towards the end. But shit if the atmosphere and combat don't make that game something special.

Kameo is short but fun platforming romp. Ends just as the level design starts to really get interesting.

You might find Oblivion for cheap now.

You got some other decent stuff like Chromehounds, Perfect Dark Zero, DoA4, Prey, Saint's Row, Table Tennis as well.

And as suggested, fucking grab Geometry Wars.

Tyrant526 on
    Maul360.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What about Fight Night Round 3?

That got some good reviews at first, any verdict on whether it's worth going back to now?

That said, any fighting game might be good. Is DoA really the only option?

Download the demo first.

I bought the game because it was only $30 and got glowing reviews, only to find out I hated hated hated the controls and the game was thus unplayable to me.

yeah, download the demo, but my experience was pretty much the opposite of this. I first tried it (out of boredom) on the OXbox with my housemate at uni, and found it surprisingly fun, even if we couldn't figure out the controls. Then a few months ago i recognised the name on the 360 demo downloads list, grabbed it, and got my brother hooked on it. Saw it going for £17 here, and grabbed it straight away. One thing i will say, when using the right stick for your punching, i was swinging it horizontally (figured i was punching towards my opponent), which was producing erratic results. It's meant to go vertically, and i'm a 'tard.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PowerLlamaPowerLlama Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Condemned is simply one of my most favorite games ever. Get it. It is cheap.

PowerLlama on
    Your skill in reading has gone up by 1 point.
    Click me for Sin City Breakfast Tacos! | Come discuss CG with us!
  • Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All of these I think are $30 CDN, maybe as cheap as $20:

Tomb Raider
    Fight Night Round 3
    Kameo
    Viva Pinata (might be $40)
    PGR 3

On the arcade, you can't go wrong with Pacman CE (800 points).

Suckafish on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Download the demo for Skate. It's really all you need.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, I just got a 360 myself with Gears of War. I saw that Call of Cthulu was on the BC list, but is there anyone that can vouch for how well it plays on the 360? I thought I had heard at one point that this title had some problems with backwards compatibility.

Ballman on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Viva Pinata is a must own title for the system, and only $20. There is no reason not to have it in your library, unless you are afraid of playing "kiddy" games.

The Outfit is a pretty good sleeper hit for $20. It is a TPS/RTS hybrid, where you control your character in TPS but you can call in drop zones, allowing you to place turrets, call for a vehicle, and have more infantry units help in battle.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sanders wrote: »
    Viva Pinata is a must own title for the system, and only $20. There is no reason not to have it in your library, unless you are afraid of playing "kiddy" games.

The Outfit is a pretty good sleeper hit for $20. It is a TPS/RTS hybrid, where you control your character in TPS but you can call in drop zones, allowing you to place turrets, call for a vehicle, and have more infantry units help in battle.

i had a choice of King Kong or The Outfit as one of the bundled games with mine. I chose Kong :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So Viva Pinata is good? What about Kameo? Best Buy has a deal with those two games + the Forza bundle for $399 and I might pick that up today or soon.

Is it possible to identify the 360s with new heatsinks?

The Cheese on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey Cheese, that's a great deal. I'd say VP will last longer for you, but Kameo definitely has some great moments.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    DaxterKingDaxterKing Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoy Kameo alot, Viva Pinata is 20, so yeah. Also, the demo for Kameo can be confusing, I hated the demo, but loved the game. Lost Planet is about the same price as Crackdown, though it can get frustrating. Marvel Ultimate alliance is $30 here.

DaxterKing on
  • Options
    Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

There are many other reasons. Seriously, don't buy Viva Pinata.

Aside from that: demos. I can't stress this enough. But on top of that, be sure to pick up Dead Rising (very interesting game), Earth Defense Force, and Morrowind (backwards compatible) on the cheap.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lost Planet is fucking terrible, do not waste your money on it.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magus` wrote: »

What's wrong with LP exactly? I borrowed it from a freind and the first 2 hours of it seemed pretty fun. I was completley sleep deprived at the time though so my view of the game may be skewed slightly

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

What's wrong with LP exactly? I borrowed it from a freind and the first 2 hours of it seemed pretty fun. I was completley sleep deprived at the time though so my view of the game may be skewed slightly

I wouldn't say it's "fucking terrible", not even close really. It's mostly a very average shooter, with a few things to really love about it (graphics, mechs, controls). I'd say download the demo and if you like it it's worth $3-40 maybe.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, maybe I exaggerated a bit. It looks nice, sure and it plays ok, it's just the same thing over and over and over again.

I just really did not have fun playing with it for some reason.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, maybe I exaggerated a bit. It looks nice, sure and it plays ok, it's just the same thing over and over and over again.

I just really did not have fun playing with it for some reason.

I was kind of wondering why the game wasn't clicking with me, even though every few minutes I'd say something along the lines of, 'wow, that was awesome, the game looks damn nice, the animation is great', etc. I haven't picked it back up after getting past the giant ice worm even though I had nothing better to play at the time

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I kept dying in a part because you'd basically get stun locked to death. EXPLOSION, CAN'T MOVE. GET UP. EXPLOSION. CAN'T MOVE. GET UP.

Etc.

Magus` on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    So, I just got a 360 myself with Gears of War. I saw that Call of Cthulu was on the BC list, but is there anyone that can vouch for how well it plays on the 360? I thought I had heard at one point that this title had some problems with backwards compatibility.

I've gotten as far as the first night in the hotel, and it seems to work fairly well... its probably exactly as buggy as it was on the OXbox (not too bad till the very end)

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited September 2007

care to elaborate?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

care to elaborate?

DO NOT FUCK WITH VIVA PINATA MARTIN

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    don't make me get my shovel

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does Viva Pinata rely on downloadable content as much as it was reputed to before it came out? I really haven't paid much attention to it since then. The only part of Crackdown bugging me so far is the inclusion of "tee hee! can't use this!" things in the game asking you to unlock them.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    nope, as far as i've been aware, the only DLC for Pinata was a couple of accessory packs. I don't know if anything else has been released, but that was about it. And the Crackdown stuff is worth it, the harpoon gun is all kinds of fun, but they did give away the best stuff for free, which was outstandingly generous.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    nope, as far as i've been aware, the only DLC for Pinata was a couple of accessory packs. I don't know if anything else has been released, but that was about it. And the Crackdown stuff is worth it, the harpoon gun is all kinds of fun, but they did give away the best stuff for free, which was outstandingly generous.
    That's excellent to hear, I was afraid it was a little "intro to micropayments" thing. Which with collecting/raising creatures may have taken my money too fast.

As for Crackdown, oh yes, the cheat console alone has made it the best sandbox game ever. I just get annoyed by the fact that I see a beam of light every once in a while and it says "Oh ho! Not yet, my friend!". I think my roommate and I are going to split the $10 anyways, he's been playing it more than I have.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    yeah, i think it was that that made me stump up for the stuff straight away. I was scrolling through the weapons and saw the harpoon gun and stuff, and it was like "NO, LOCKED" and i was sad.

Viva Pinata's a good one for putting on something like Sigur Ros and just tending to your garden for an hour or so. Just sit and watch your animals do what they do, and beat up on the sour ones that stop by (or try and tame them, if that's your thing).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As for Crackdown, oh yes, the cheat console alone has made it the best sandbox game ever. I just get annoyed by the fact that I see a beam of light every once in a while and it says "Oh ho! Not yet, my friend!". I think my roommate and I are going to split the $10 anyways, he's been playing it more than I have.

O_o

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

O_o

Did it not occur to you that I was cheap? Really cheap?

Edit: It's also not so much the price, it's that I don't want to get used to saying "oh sure" to every offer to charge me a bit more for a game I like already. Spending money on XBL is so easy is the thing.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I pay people to play games for me while I tell them what to do.

Peasant

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I pay people to play games for me while I tell them what to do.

Peasant
    Hm... that might actually let me get through the non-PAL Devil May Cry 3.

"Hit things until the boss, whence you shall call upon me and I will instruct you in further detail".

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

care to elaborate?

DO NOT FUCK WITH VIVA PINATA MARTIN

don't make me get my shovel

PULLING OUT, PULLING OUT

LET'S NOT GET HASTY NOW

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    PULLING OUT, PULLING OUT

LET'S NOT GET HASTY NOW

That's what she said.

This thread has been awesome, since tomorrow I'm either going to pick up DiRT or two or three cheaper games, so it's been nice getting reviews.

Is King Kong worth a shit? Also, I nhever played Gun when it hit last gen, is the 360 version any good at all?

Einhander on
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Aside from that: demos. I can't stress this enough. But on top of that, be sure to pick up Dead Rising (very interesting game), Earth Defense Force, and Morrowind (backwards compatible) on the cheap.

Okay, a few things here:

1. I didn't even know Morrowind had been added to the back-compat list until I looked it up. When the hell did THAT happen?

2. For Viva Pinata, I would say to try the demo first, but I wouldn't hold this suggestion too high - this game is really an acquired taste.

As for other original Xbox games that are supported and should be played, I'd suggest Burnout 3, Crimson Skies, Indigo Prophecy, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Psychonauts, Silent Hill 2, SSX 3 and the Splinter Cell series.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    CaspianX wrote: »

Okay, a few things here:

1. I didn't even know Morrowind had been added to the back-compat list until I looked it up. When the hell did THAT happen?

2. For Viva Pinata, I would say to try the demo first, but I wouldn't hold this suggestion too high - this game is really an acquired taste.

As for other original Xbox games that are supported and should be played, I'd suggest Burnout 3, Crimson Skies, Indigo Prophecy, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Psychonauts, Silent Hill 2, SSX 3 and the Splinter Cell series.

Also, Ninja Gaiden Black if you can find it

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is King Kong worth a shit? Also, I nhever played Gun when it hit last gen, is the 360 version any good at all?

King Kong is indeed worth a shit. It's fucking brilliant. It mixes top-notch creepy FPS with badass Kong going around being a big, tough ape action. The only real downside is that it's a somewhat short game.

As for GUN, the 360 version was decent, although notorious for being priced higher than the virtually-identical PC version. However, unless you're a huge fan of spaghetti Westerns, I'd say to skip it. It's nothing particularly special, and there are far better FPSes out there that are cheaper to boot.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Crimson Skies: Road to Revenge is the best $3.00 I've ever spent on a game.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.