As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3/360, they both match my hi-fi now, which do I buy?

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

Look closer DarkWarrior. Remove the Sony-brand goggles and look closer. Your ratio is... rather off.

Sony sell goggles? Why was I not told of this sooner?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    also if you're going to buy a 360 you might as well wait like a month for the new Falcon chipsets so no RRD or stuff hopefully

i know i am

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Actually, I was just expressing how it wasn't unexpected that the thread turned into a cock fight. It seems the original poster already made his decision, but we're still arguing which is better. We haven't had one in awhile, now that I think about it. Guess it's about time for that debate to surface again.

Far be it from me to stop you fighting. Go crazy.

I am still fairly undecided, both have their highlights. My main problem is that I am a Playstation fanboy, owned both 1 and 2 and loved them both. I want a PS3 for the backwards compatability and Metal Gear as well as feeling duty bound to buy Final Fantasy even if it doesn't look that good. However the 360 at the moment looks like a better deal. It has an immediate line up I want to play as opposed to the playstations admittedly great back catalogue from previous consoles as well as Live Arcade which is pretty fun if a bit weird on payments and a couple of AAA titles in a couple of months.

If I could I would be tempted to buy a 360 now and a PS3 later but it seems slightly extreme at the moment.

The problem is the Backwards Compatability of the PS3 will soon partially disappear. Software emulation is just not as good as hardware emulation. If BC is really important to you, and you think you'll get a PS3 eventually anyway, you may as well buy it now. The 360 will still be around when you're ready for a second console.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Zephyr wrote: »
    robcat09 wrote: »
    ok guys

360 is a good console which has a lot of sweet games out especially if you don't have a 3000$ computer
    the controller is good, live is good, but it has a terrible life expectancy

the ps3 is a good console, it has a lot of sweet games coming out for it and some already out, PSN has better games than XBLA imho, remote play with PSP is sweet and downloading PSN games onto your PSP is also sweet, but you know, 500$ is still too much for some people

are we done here

now THIS guy's a shill.

because i defend both consoles evenly?

You don't mention the lack of games for the PS3 as a weak point. Because it is.

Honestly though the same thing happened to the 360 in the first year, it is a weak point but it is something that will be corrected.

Lothars on
  • Options
    robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Look closer DarkWarrior. Remove the Sony-brand goggles and look closer. Your ratio is... rather off.

Dude, that list is huge and all I see are puzzle games also, so can you pick out maybe one or two that would be representative of the quality that you are referring to?

robcat09 on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Actually, I was just expressing how it wasn't unexpected that the thread turned into a cock fight. It seems the original poster already made his decision, but we're still arguing which is better. We haven't had one in awhile, now that I think about it. Guess it's about time for that debate to surface again.

I am still fairly undecided, both have their highlights. My main problem is that I am a Playstation fanboy, owned both 1 and 2 and loved them both. I want a PS3 for the backwards compatability and Metal Gear as well as feeling duty bound to buy Final Fantasy even if it doesn't look that good. However the 360 at the moment looks like a better deal. It has an immediate line up I want to play as opposed to the playstations admittedly great back catalogue from previous consoles as well as Live Arcade which is pretty fun if a bit weird on payments and a couple of AAA titles in a couple of months.

If I could I would be tempted to buy a 360 now and a PS3 later but it seems slightly extreme at the moment.

The problem is the Backwards Compatability of the PS3 will soon partially disappear. Software emulation is just not as good as hardware emulation. If BC is really important to you, and you think you'll get a PS3 eventually anyway, you may as well buy it now. The 360 will still be around when you're ready for a second console.

that's pretty much a moot point, especially considering the OP's in a non-emotion engine country to begin with. the ps3 software emulation is fine. i played through MGS3 only to later discover it was on the lowest level of compatibility - the only noticable problems were a corrupt save file and a little bit of slowdown in a couple of spots. nothing that made the game unplayable.

the biggest problem with software BC for the playstation is the stigma it has around places like this

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness is coming to XBLA

woo

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Honestly, a lot of people finish only a fraction of the games they buy. I buy relatively few games, so I finish most of them, but I do this thing where I'll just stall out towards the end of an RPG, only to pick it up a year or even years later and restart with every intention of finishing it. I succeed about half the time.

Oh man, I have that same exact problem. It sucks so bad to do that too... I think I got to the end of Tales of Symphonia about 3 times, and could never go on.

Maybe it was my body forcing me to think the game never ends.

Tales of Symphonia never ends, because it has the best New Game + implimentation ever. Finish it! :D

I know!! Oh man I feel so bad to get SO far in the game and just stop. I just... Took a break for too long, and now I don't remember what happens. D: I don't want to lose 20+ hours of my life!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Dude, that list is huge and all I see are puzzle games also, so can you pick out maybe one or two that would be representative of the quality that you are referring to?

Geometry Wars
    Assault Heroes
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Worms
    Alien Hominid
    Texas Hold'em (was free for a while)
    Aegis Wing (free!)
    Bomberman Live (best Bomberman game in years, and it's $10)
    Uno
    Prince of Persia Classic

Games I don't own but might pick up:
    Sonic I&2
    Streets of Rage II
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Space Giraffe
    Contra
    Carcassone
    Catan
    Pac-man Championship Edition
    TMNT
    Heavy Weapon
    Doom
    Marathon II
    Cloning Clyde

The vast majority of that list are not Puzzle games. Jesus christ people.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    to the OP.

Just buy the PS3. This threads sounds more like you WANT a PS3 but you came and made a thread because you had lingering doubts about your purchase because thex360 noise is too loud to ignore.

Just buy the PS3. play all that you desire and if you still find yourself wondering and then later after the novelty wears off looking over the fence at the otherside then buy the 360.

You said you have a job now, doesn't sound like you're getting fired anytime soon.

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lothars wrote: »

Honestly though the same thing happened to the 360 in the first year, it is a weak point but it is something that will be corrected.

Yes it did, but it didn't have a PS3 or a Wii to go head to head with and quickly worked on addressing the games issue to make sure it could go head to head with rivals when they came out.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »

that's pretty much a moot point, especially considering the OP's in a non-emotion engine country to begin with. the ps3 software emulation is fine. i played through MGS3 only to later discover it was on the lowest level of compatibility - the only noticable problems were a corrupt save file and a little bit of slowdown in a couple of spots. nothing that made the game unplayable.

the biggest problem with software BC for the playstation is the stigma it has around places like this

Well that's good to hear. That was always one of my concerns with buying a PS3, since I want BC but have no way of affording the bloody thing this year. Guess the OP can buy the 360 first then :D

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Geometry Wars
    Assault Heroes
    Worms
    Alien Hominid
    Aegis Wing (free!)
    Uno
    Prince of Persia Classic

Sonic I&2
    Streets of Rage II
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Space Giraffe
    Contra
    Carcassone
    Catan
    TMNT
    Heavy Weapon
    Doom
    Marathon II
    Cloning Clyde

Oh, but aren't those all old games from like the Genesis days? Ecco the Dolphin? O_O
    The Playstation Network has games that were designed specifically for the network. They are original games, not ports. Maybe that's where the confusion lies? I was expecting more original IP's.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ok guys

360 is a good console which has a lot of sweet games out especially if you don't have a 3000$ computer
    the controller is good, live is good, but it has a terrible life expectancy

the ps3 is a good console, it has a lot of sweet games coming out for it and some already out, PSN has better games than XBLA imho, remote play with PSP is sweet and downloading PSN games onto your PSP is also sweet, but you know, 500$ is still too much for some people

are we done here

now THIS guy's a shill.

because i defend both consoles evenly?

'Terrible life expectancy' slants things way past even.

I was kidding, of course, the whole shill thing is funny as hell.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Geometry Wars
    Assault Heroes
    Worms
    Alien Hominid
    Aegis Wing (free!)
    Uno
    Prince of Persia Classic

Sonic I&2
    Streets of Rage II
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Space Giraffe
    Contra
    Carcassone
    Catan
    TMNT
    Heavy Weapon
    Doom
    Marathon II
    Cloning Clyde

Oh, but aren't those all old games from like the Genesis days? Ecco the Dolphin? O_O
    The Playstation Network has games that were designed specifically for the network. They are original games, not ports. Maybe that's where the confusion lies? I was expecting more original IP's.

That'll do it for me then. I have a feeling that if I had listed 200 entirely original IPs, you would have come back at me with "but why doesn't it have wonderful classic games?" This is absolutely idiotic.

Fuck these threads.

To the OP: Look on Gamerankings/Metacritic for the top 30 games on each platform. Read through reviews for games you're interested in. Make your choice according to taste.

Evangir on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

It's a mix. There are original games, there are straight up ports (like the Wii virtual console) there are straight ports with additional features (like network play), and there are total remakes (like the Pac Man CE).

I'd imagine with the PSN to go head to head with, you will see the size limitation removed and far more games released that will be much closer to full retail modern games.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I still <3 you Evangir.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The PSN one lists 25 titles originally created for the PS3. The rest are ports of some sort.

I can't count how many xbox arcade ones there are because the list doesn't distinguish between original IPs and ports.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That'll do it for me then. I have a feeling that if I had listed 200 entirely original IPs, you would have come back at me with "but why doesn't it have wonderful classic games?" This is absolutely idiotic.

Fuck these threads.

To the OP: Look on Gamerankings/Metacritic for the top 30 games on each platform. Read through reviews for games you're interested in. Make your choice according to taste.
    I think it's a universal rule of forums that after page 5 the trolls take over and any chance at reasonably discussing the issue at hand jumps ship.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Geometry Wars
    Assault Heroes
    Worms
    Alien Hominid
    Aegis Wing (free!)
    Uno
    Prince of Persia Classic

Sonic I&2
    Streets of Rage II
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Space Giraffe
    Contra
    Carcassone
    Catan
    TMNT
    Heavy Weapon
    Doom
    Marathon II
    Cloning Clyde

Fuck these threads.

No I wouldn't have.
    I win.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fuck these threads.

I think it's a universal rule of forums that after page 5 the trolls take over and any chance at reasonably discussing the issue at hand jumps ship.

Especially those that have been on it since page 1 saying the same thing.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ...Ecco the Dolphin? O_O

This point, right here, is where your opinion became irrelavent.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fuck these threads.

yeah totally, what's up with this guy and his 'fuck these threads' remark?
    If you can't defend your argument that's fine, you can leave.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    ...Ecco the Dolphin? O_O

Lewie... I've PLAYED Ecco the Dolphin... when I was a teenager, on my Genesis. I enjoyed it and remember it vividly. It's an old game that I don't need to play again, and I picked that particular one out of that list of games randomly.

Why is my opinion irrelevant?

robcat09 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ...Ecco the Dolphin? O_O

Lewie... I've PLAYED Ecco the Dolphin... when I was a teenager, on my Genesis. I enjoyed it and remember it vividly. It's an old game that I don't need to play again, and I picked that particular one out of that list of games randomly.

Hypobole mostly...

I just love me some ecco.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ...Ecco the Dolphin? O_O

I forgot to mention that I could play Ecco on the PSP with the Genesis Collection along with plenty of other 'classics' if I so desire.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ...Ecco the Dolphin? O_O

because you're being argumentative, arrogant and stupid and it's making the rest of us ps3 owners look bad?

look, you don't need to go on sony defense mode. the ps3 is strong enough that it can hold its own in a rational discussion without people going 'lol i haven't played those games but they suck, buy a ps3 yo'

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    ...Ecco the Dolphin? O_O

because you're being argumentative, arrogant and stupid and it's making the rest of us ps3 owners look bad?

look, you don't need to go on sony defense mode. the ps3 is strong enough that it can hold its own in a rational discussion without people going 'lol i haven't played those games but they suck, buy a ps3 yo'

Yes, if I was writing like that I would agree with you that I sounded arrogant and stupid. But I'm not writing like that. I haven't said anything that I have not played before sucked. I said based on the description of games I had available to me, it seems as though the PSN games are of better quality, due to the fact that they are modern, original IP's and not simple arcade games, puzzle games, or ports of classic console games of the past.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Fuck these threads.

I'll just say something to sum up why I said "fuck these threads." It's simple really.

You are not going to convince me that the Xbox 360 is a horrible console, and that the PS3 is undeniably superior. I am not going to convince you that the PS3 has some content issues, and for now is not worth a purchase. We could go back and forth in this fashion for 100 pages, and by the end we would A) feel exactly the same as we did before, and B) be 92 pages worth of pointless arguing more pissed off. You will never "win" an argument over the internet.

Enjoy your stay on the Penny Arcade forums.

Evangir on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

What the? Dude, you just said a minute ago that one of the PS3's advantages is that you get to play PSOne games. And now you're slamming Live for offering Genesis games? O_o

Edit: There's a stereotype that people can't defend the PS3 without sounding like a jerk. You're not helping.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd be more inclined to support your positions if you left the tongue-in-cheek diminutions out. You make a lot of valid points about the PS3 which depending on someones position can be taken as either pros or cons.

XBLA vs. PSN is a major issue for someone that is looking for a new console and something that most people in that position will never bother to look into. So far XBLA is going more in the direction of a Virtual Console mixed with a Microsoft Game Zone/Casual games while PSN is focusing more on more full release size games/original IPs on their download network. Possible consumers should take this into account when deciding on their purchase.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

What the? Dude, you just said a minute ago that one of the PS3's advantages is that you get to play PSOne games. And now you're slamming Live for offering Genesis games? O_o

Edit: There's a stereotype that people can't defend the PS3 without sounding like a jerk. You're not helping.

Crash Bandicoot > Ecco the Dolphin.

You know that!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No, I am not slamming Live for offering Genesis games. I'm saying there seems to be more original games designed especially for the PS3 network than there are for the Xbox Live network, and Live has been around quite a bit longer. Things are taken out of context when a thread starts getting really long. If the Xbox Live Arcade offered the same amount of original titles as the PS3 had then of course I wouldn't mind there ALSO being Ecco the Dolphin. Hell, PSN has Q-Bert! If that's all there was I'd have a hard time defending that ;-)

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd be more inclined to support your positions if you left the tongue-in-cheek diminutions out. You make a lot of valid points about the PS3 which depending on someones position can be taken as either pros or cons.

XBLA vs. PSN is a major issue for someone that is looking for a new console and something that most people in that position will never bother to look into. So far XBLA is going more in the direction of a Virtual Console mixed with a Microsoft Game Zone/Casual games while PSN is focusing more on more full release size games/original IPs on their download network. Possible consumers should take this into account when deciding on their purchase.

Very well put. I actually hadn't thought that someone on a penny arcade newsgroup would prefer casual games over original full release games.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Crash Bandicoot > Ecco the Dolphin.

You know that!

Yeah, i agree with that. And then there's Q-bert ;-)

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Some of us have jobs... and lives. You know... Where casual games come into play. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

People who try to defend the PS3 with valid arguments are shut down by the vast majority of people on here who are Xbox fans. You have to fight very hard to get your point across. I don't mind sounding like a jerk if I am getting valid points across and getting people to THINK for themselves and not jump on the xbox bandwagon because it's the 'cool' console.

This is why the iPod sells so well. A mob mentality begins to form when people stop thinking for themselves and choose the thing that is most popular. It feels good to have the thing that everyone else has. People feel uncomfortable when they aren't doing the socially acceptable thing.

You will not be at all surprised to know that I have a Zune, and have been on these forums defending its value in the past.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Some of us have jobs... and lives. You know... Where casual games come into play. :)

This coming from a guy with "Total Posts: 2,594 (20.72 posts per day)" - if you didnt' spend so much time posting on newsgroups you'd have more time to play some deep interesting games! :P

robcat09 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No, I am not slamming Live for offering Genesis games. I'm saying there seems to be more original games designed especially for the PS3 network than there are for the Xbox Live network, and Live has been around quite a bit longer. Things are taken out of context when a thread starts getting really long. If the Xbox Live Arcade offered the same amount of original titles as the PS3 had then of course I wouldn't mind there ALSO being Ecco the Dolphin. Hell, PSN has Q-Bert! If that's all there was I'd have a hard time defending that ;-)
    Original games on the XBLA:

Aegis Wign
    Assault Heroes
    Boom Boom Rocket
    Cloning Clyde
    Pac-Man CE
    Small Arms
    Space Giraffe
    TotemBall
    Pinball FX
    Novadrome
    Street Trace
    Band of Bugs

The main thing about the orignal games being made for XBLA are they mostly fall in the casual area like the rest of the games on XBLA

chesspieceface on
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I work 8 hours a day at an IT helpdesk job... where all I can do is surf the web and wait on calls. I have an excuse. ;)

urahonky on