Options

Final Fantasy VII: Ten Years Later (NSF56K, Spoilers)

• Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I never quite understood the game's absurd popularity. I first got the chance to play it a couple years back, and enjoyed it a great deal, but it wasn't exactly JRPG Nirvana. (Actually, I didn't really get very far because I was playing the PC version, and I figured I'd be little more immersed if all the backdrops weren't giant messes of pixels. Too bad it's impossible to buy the original game now.)

Eh, if you do it right the PC version can look (and sound) better than the original. The real problem the PC version has these days are getting the damn minigames to work.

The minigames are pretty much the best thing ever. They might not all be quality, but most of them are.

I figure the backdrops wouldn't be pixelated on a Playstation though. That really killed it for me, more than the awful characters models.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Zephyr wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've already wagered my non-GH copy of FFVII on the remake actually happening at all. Which I think is fairly valuable right now.

Really? I got the game when it was first released. so my copy is a non-GH. And I keep all my shit in pristine condition.

Non-GH copies of FFVII are worth a lot right now from what I've heard. Even the GH ones can catch some high amounts.

Keep in mind that my perception of "a lot" is kinda skewed. I paid $150 for Dracula X on the PC engine without batting an eye.

How much are we talking?

200$
    What? There isn't one on ebay for more then 100 bucks, "Buy it nows" even.

i dunno

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000JRSB/ref=pd_bbs_olp_1/102-8058813-0020106?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1190006495&sr=8-1

those are greatest hits even actually

Huh, I guess it's a good thing I have 2 copies (non-GH) at home. LOL. Neither are mine, both loaned from friends at different times and they never took them back, even when I offered it to them.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But why hasn't there been a remake? it's quite literally money in the bank, we all know that. Why won't Square let us give them some more of our money?

:|

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cost of producing a quality remake (with AC style CG for all cutscenes) with good in-game graphics that would be convincing enough to cause a lot of sales > profit from projected sales?

I dunno, I'm just thinking that doing a game that large/long with that many cutscenes that fans would demand to be AC quality (no more game-graphic cutscenes) would take a long time and be very expensive. They also would probably want a better translation and more fleshed out storyline with deeper explanations which would also cost more. Perhaps even with ridiculous sales they don't think that they would earn enough vs. putting a new game out?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    But why hasn't there been a remake? it's quite literally money in the bank, we all know that. Why won't Square let us give them some more of our money?

:|

They're starving the audience so that, when it finally comes, people will eat it up no matter how shitty it tastes.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Cost of producing a quality remake (with AC style CG for all cutscenes) with good in-game graphics that would be convincing enough to cause a lot of sales > profit from projected sales?

I dunno, I'm just thinking that doing a game that large/long with that many cutscenes that fans would demand to be AC quality (no more game-graphic cutscenes) would take a long time and be very expensive. They also would probably want a better translation and more fleshed out storyline with deeper explanations which would also cost more. Perhaps even with ridiculous sales they don't think that they would earn enough vs. putting a new game out?

I think it would sell at least as well as FFXII, and that game has some seriously high production values imho. But meh, what do I know about profit from game sales. I guess I'd just really love to see the new generation of gamers get to know and love the FFVII cast as much as I do.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

No in this day and age there should be no CG, graphics are at a point and disc space at a premium (yes even on blu-ray) that we should be using in game for everything aside from a beginning and ending movie and even then its not really needed.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Could someone either post or point me in the direction of explaining the whole damn relationship between Zack and Cloud? I've played through the game a few times and I still don't get it.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Holy shit, where did that awesome new art of Yuffie and Tifa come from? Moreover, where can I get it in high res?

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man,
    Fantastic OP.

I'm still trying to come up with something to say other than that.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed VII for the most part but thought the story went to hell after the first disk.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They're starving the audience so that, when it finally comes, people will eat it up no matter how shitty it tastes.
    You know what, I would buy a PS3 just to play the remake.

Yes, that is how god damn hungry I am for that remake, I am weak.

And, what I really loved about FFVII was the environments. I remember playing it when I was eleven, and I was running around Midgar in the early game, I was so impressed by the illusion living, breathing world. And you would not be able to imagine how awestruck I was when I realised you were going to exit Midgar, I almost wet my pants.

On hindsight it's a little lame, but I loved the locations you go to, and I loved that game because of that, and partially because it was the first game that made me feel like I was in another world.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    He did a good voice.

I still wish they could've kept Christy Carlson Romano as Yuffie. She's pretty much perfect.

She's also Kim Possible, for the uninitiated.
    I'm partial to Mae Whitman myself, if just because she's also Katara in Avatar.

You learn something new each day. Whitman does seem to put a little more into it when she was in Yuffie's role, but I wish they would just decide on a set VA and stop alternating with her.

They made the absolute best choice with Rachel Leigh Cook though. I saw a few interviews with her, and I knew she was meant for Tifa's role when she described how much of a huge fan she was of the character.
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I was always a Tifa man myself. I bought FF VII the moment it hit E.U shores and I always kept hoping that you got to make a choice between those two. Things did not work out that way, to my great surprise..

Oh, but you do get to choose between them...and Yuffie...and Barret.
    A friend of mine and I had a discussion a few years ago about how that ferris wheel scene would have looked if you had Vincent with you instead. We reached the conclusion that it would probably have plenty of the "three dots" that all JRPG developers seems to cherish so much.

Cloud:...

Vincent:...

Cloud:...

Vincent:...

You just don't get that kind of classy writing anymore. Sigh.

These days with their high fallutin' voice acting? That scene would be boring as shit voice acted instead of the height of dramtic tension provided by the written word.

I probably shouldn't be bringing up the fact that you can "date" Yuffie or Barret in that scene, as someone will make me do it in the LP thread, and honestly, its not worth the time.
    So you can either date a Japanese jailbait or a big, burly black man if you choose to dith Aeris or Tifa?

Can you make him wear the sailor outfit ?

It astonishes me to this day how people still don't know you could date characters other than Tifa or Aerith. Both Barret and Yuffie's scenarios have some real amusing moments to them to.

Barret: "Why'd you go out with me? You should have picked one of the two girls."

Cloud: "Okay...who would you have picked?"

Barret: ".........Damn, that's a tough choice. Tifa, Aerith, hmmm...."

And Yuffie actually gets bold and gives Cloud a kiss in the cheek....but gets no reaction whatsoever from him.

Yuffie: "Oh Gawd, I'm so embarrased."

Cloud: "......."

Yuffie: "Will you just say something already!?"

Cloud: "Something."

(slap)

God, that still gets me every time. :D
    Heh, I remember when there were rumors flying around about a hidden sex scene between any of the characters you take. Those were the days (that I desperately wish not to relive).

It's still debatable to this day if there really was a sexual moment in the game. I think you know what scene I'm talking about.

"You were watching?"
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Could someone either post or point me in the direction of explaining the whole damn relationship between Zack and Cloud? I've played through the game a few times and I still don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_Fair is probably your best bet, but since Crisis Core is going to explain this in complete detail, how about you wait until that comes out?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zack Fair.

Fair.

Was that the best they could do?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would like to have a FF VII remake some day some how that would be cool. The game deserves its merit based soley on the fact that it did bring the mainstream light on my favorite genre that was largely ignored before it. However, I still don't understand the accolades the story recieved. I felt after about the first third it really fell into a goose chase of where Sepheroth went next mainly. The only major plot twist (Aerith dying) was on display at a kiosk at Babbages (gamestop) and I knew long before I even started the game what her outcome was going to be.

Namon on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I also loved the significant story points that add a very real, tangible sense of accomplishment. The benchmarks of the game, if you will. First leaving Midgar, for example, was a huge event, and it was awesome. And the whole world felt open to you at that point. Getting the airship. I think Final Fantasy made the airship what it is today. The benchmark of accomplishment that allows you to know you've made it. At that point the whole world is open, and it's awesome.

Ah, nostalgia.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, Aeris dying (I call her Aeris because that's what I'm used to get over it) was blatantly obvious even if you weren't spoiled for it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Namon wrote: »
    I would like to have a FF VII remake some day some how that would be cool. The game deserves its merit based soley on the fact that it did bring the mainstream light on my favorite genre that was largely ignored before it. However, I still don't understand the accolades the story recieved. I felt after about the first third it really fell into a goose chase of where Sepheroth went next mainly. The only major plot twist (Aerith dying) was on display at a kiosk at Babbages (gamestop) and I knew long before I even started the game what her outcome was going to be.

Cloud thinking he is Zach and not really knowing it is a big plot twist

As is the fact that Sephiroth is just chilling in the lifestream controlling clones/failed experiments through their JENOVA cells. Also a decent, but poorly explained twist.

I'd say the story is solid up until the execution. After that, forget about it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, Aeris dying (I call her Aeris because that's what I'm used to get over it) was blatantly obvious even if you weren't spoiled for it.

Heh, a few years ago I had a friend that borrowed my copy because he had never played it. My and a few others decided to fuck with him a bit, because he's a raving completionist that plays a maximizing sort of game, so we told him to powerlevel Aeris and never remove her from the party.

He was pissed.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Heh, a few years ago I had a friend that borrowed my copy because he had never played it. My and a few others decided to fuck with him a bit, because he's a raving completionist that plays a maximizing sort of game, so we told him to powerlevel Aeris and never remove her from the party.

He was pissed.

You, sir, are on my hero list.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited September 2007

He was pissed.

I'm probably going to off thread grind up Aeris/th's Level Four Limit because I bet a ton of people haven't seen it. It would make the rest of the game unfair though...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

He was pissed.

I'm probably going to off thread grind up Aeris/th's Level Four Limit because I bet a ton of people haven't seen it. It would make the rest of the game unfair though...

Refresh my memory, what did it do again?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If I remember correctly, it completely healed your entire party and made them invincible for a few rounds.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I remember correctly, it completely healed your entire party and made them invincible for a few rounds.

Something like that, yeah.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Think Holy War if you've ever played FF 8, except not itemized. Of course, if my memory serves me correctly, you can use Red as a Limit Break charger and you could potentially really break the game.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not sure I understand the big hub-bub about Gackt portraying the character Genesis. Unless I'm missing something where the game states that it's actually Gackt, and not just the character Genesis who's image is based on Gackt.

It doesn't seem that much different from Lance Bass protraying Sephiroth in KH.

Gackt was always hated, by americans anyway. He's like the equivalent of Michael Jackson in Japan. And while he's not actually playing himself, but an original character, he WAS literally portrayed in Dirge of Cerberus, in live form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Z3B189cFE

I don't know enough about Gackt to be outraged by the idea, but I do hope they at least refrain from any more live/CG crossovers.

Yeah, see, here's once again what I don't understand: in that clip, it's not Gackt--it's Genesis. Gackt is the just actor the character was based on. It's like getting pissed off that the Eli Vance character in Half Life 2 was modled after a homeless guy. Or pissed that Robert Guillaume did his voice.

I can see being annoyed by Gackt portraying aspects of the character Genesis, but to hear people run around saying "Gackt is now official continuity!" seems a bit silly to me. :lol:

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm... if they ever remade FFVII they would have to add about 20 minigames to Gold Saucer. That'd be awesome.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man now I almost want to play this again after all these years.

Wonder if the PC version works on Vista...

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd like to think I'm not a total idiot, but I totally didn't see it coming. This is pretty bad when you pretty run with the "stick to the ladies :winky:" party. (FF7 was also my first Final Fantasy, and this was back in 2003. It goes without saying I was a little LTTP.)

The end of that first disc is probably the most pissed off I've ever been at a video game.
    It's still debatable to this day if there really was a sexual moment in the game. I think you know what scene I'm talking about.

"You were watching?"

Hehehehe.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I'd like to think I'm not a total idiot, but I totally didn't see it coming. This is pretty bad when you pretty run with the "stick to the ladies :winky:" party. (FF7 was also my first Final Fantasy, and this was back in 2003. It goes without saying I was a little LTTP.)
    It was the way a conversation couldn't go on for more than four lines without some variation on "we're all counting on you, Aeris!" or "I don't know what we'd do without you, Aeris!"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What scene would the "sexual" one be? The one where Cloud gets molested by a bunch of burly men in a hot tub?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think it's the one where Cloud and Tifa are alone on that hill under the Highwind, before you go into the crater to fight Sephiroth

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It wouldn't surprise me if one of them propositioned a sort of Dogma-esque agreement with the other.

Javen on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cloud's gay though, so I don't really see that happening.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No mention of Cloud/Aeris in FF Tactics?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Cloud's gay though, so I don't really see that happening.
    I always saw him as a Ryu type, i.e not a shred of libido in his body..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I might be alone in this, but if there's any future games I hope Shalua returns/comes out of her coma. She was a really cool character, also it would be sweet to reunite her with her sister again.

I too think Nanaki might get his own game. His role in Advent Children and Dirge is barely even cameo status, and how does he have his kids? There's a story to be told there, I'm sure of it.

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The remake is only a good idea if they re-translate/re-write every word of dialogue.

VIII, much as I am fond of it, could use the same treatment in that area.

And we need something starring Cid and Yuffie. They're by far the least annoying characters.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ASimPerson wrote: »

It was the way a conversation couldn't go on for more than four lines without some variation on "we're all counting on you, Aeris!" or "I don't know what we'd do without you, Aeris!"

If anything that might hint at her no longer being in the party. This could happen through other means than dying. It's been a long time, but I don't particularly remember a lot of dialogue about how helpful and irreplaceable she was. I mean, the holy materia was important, but that's an object that she carried.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    One of the things that kinda bugged me about the whole de-evilizing of Rufus and the Turks is that in the original you could make a good argument that the Shinra were actually more evil then Sephiroth

The game maybe even kinda alludes to this by saying that the meteor would head towards the wound of the planet then having the meteor head towards Midgar because of the mako mining instead of it heading toward the Northern Cave like Sephiorth thought it would

The de-evilizing of Rufus and the Turks kinda throws that out the window

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333