Options

Final Fantasy VII: Ten Years Later (NSF56K, Spoilers)

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Final Fantasy VII: End the Catastrophically-bad games
    Hmm, did you mean to insult FFVII? I can't tell, because, grammatically, you actually insulted every FF prior to VII. Maybe that's what you meant, but, if so, it's a pretty unpopular stance.

Confused in Cali,

gilrain on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The rumors persist that Sony is going to announce a major 3rd party game in their conference (which, if I understand correctly, is tonight at 4:30am est) that has been personally funded by them.

Honestly, what else could it be? Set yourself up for dissapointment, but get excited nontheless.

EDIT: Make that around 4:00am est. I'm staying up for that. If anything actually pops up, please post it here instead of a seperate thread.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Guess who's staying up? Me.

If they announce a PS3 remake of FFVII tonight (and that's what the EC title ends up being), they've sold me a PS3. All my post-Rock Band funds will be diverted to the purchase of a PS3 ASAP.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    The de-evilizing of Rufus and the Turks kinda throws that out the window
    I'm pretty sure the Turks were de-evilized within the game itself.

Exactly it. It's just a job to them. No good or evil intentions.

Well they do a good job of making it seem like the Turks have bad intentions, because they try to kick your ass quite a few times.

As their job/mission requires.

Are you really suggesting that killing hundreds (probably more if we take into account that it was a slum and Midgar is supposed to be some mega city) of innocent people like they did when they destroyed the plate support was okay, 'cuz hay, iz jus a job rite guyz?

Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

I didn't say it's "okay", a lot of the things the Turks do aren't "okay." But I would imagine that working in an organization which just works for the highest bidder (which in their world is perpetually Shinra, Inc.), you'd have to be fine with doing things in the morally grey area.

So to them, it's okay.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I guess Atlus aren't major enough to be that third party, but I can hope.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    The de-evilizing of Rufus and the Turks kinda throws that out the window
    I'm pretty sure the Turks were de-evilized within the game itself.

Exactly it. It's just a job to them. No good or evil intentions.

Well they do a good job of making it seem like the Turks have bad intentions, because they try to kick your ass quite a few times.

As their job/mission requires.

Are you really suggesting that killing hundreds (probably more if we take into account that it was a slum and Midgar is supposed to be some mega city) of innocent people like they did when they destroyed the plate support was okay, 'cuz hay, iz jus a job rite guyz?

Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

I didn't say it's "okay", a lot of the things the Turks do aren't "okay." But I would imagine that working in an organization which just works for the highest bidder (which in their world is perpetually Shinra, Inc.), you'd have to be fine with doing things in the morally grey area.

So to them, it's okay.

The point I'm trying to get across is that the Turks are hardly "de-evilized" within the game unless you give no thought to anything but your immediate present.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    From the eyes of the player, no, they're hardly de-evilized.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The turks are bafoons. Sorry, they simply aren't evil, imposing villains. They are like the game's comic relief. The bumbling law enforcement officer who's always out to get the clever thief, but is too inept to ever do so.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Elena was the only one who was just plain inept. The rest, not so much.

Javen on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    From the eyes of the player, no, they're hardly de-evilized.

How are they any less evil from the character's perspective? Tifa and Barret notably, who saw many close friends and the entire Sector they were living out of annihilated by the Turks? Regardless of their goofy shit later in the game, the fact remains that they are unabashed murderers.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    Elena was the only one who was just plain inept. The rest, not so much.
    Typical woman.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Turks became goofballs in FF7:AC

Prior to that they behaved as evil/amoral mercenaries do, except under permanent employ of Shinra.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    The Turks became goofballs in FF7:AC

Prior to that they behaved as evil/amoral mercenaries do, except under permanent employ of Shinra.

Not totally true. Yes, their eccentricity was more emphasized and a bit exaggerated in AC, but even in the original game they couldn't be taken all that seriously. More serious than AC, yes, but they were still more like Team Rocket crossed with the hitmen from Pulp Fiction.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    All this talk about the Turks makes me want the remake done even more.

The first church scene, in particular, rendered in full 3D glory with full voice-acting.

"Hey, you just stepped on the flowers!"

"They're all ruined!"

"You're gonna catch holy hell!"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

If they announce a PS3 remake of FFVII tonight (and that's what the EC title ends up being), they've sold me a PS3. All my post-Rock Band funds will be diverted to the purchase of a PS3 ASAP.

As much as the idea excites me, you do realize that even if it is announced right now, it'd likely be out sometime after FFXIII, no?

It's not like you'd need to have a PS3 immediately.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

As much as the idea excites me, you do realize that even if it is announced right now, it'd likely be out sometime after FFXIII, no?

It's not like you'd need to have a PS3 immediately.

PS3 has a bunch of "support" games for me like Uncharted, etc., but no system-seller. But once the system-seller is confirmed, I'd buy the system and enjoy those support games.

If they then cancelled it...well fuck, I don't know what I'd do.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The rumors persist that Sony is going to announce a major 3rd party game in their conference (which, if I understand correctly, is tonight at 4:30am est) that has been personally funded by them.

Honestly, what else could it be? Set yourself up for dissapointment, but get excited nontheless.

EDIT: Make that around 4:00am est. I'm staying up for that. If anything actually pops up, please post it here instead of a seperate thread.

So is any site covering this? 1up, perhaps? Another live-blogging?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No idea, there hasn't been any confirmation if the keynote is going to be blogged at all. Some major announcements could be made, and it would be embargoed until TGS is over. :(

As soon as a link or something comes up, you'll be the first to know.

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The first church scene, in particular, rendered in full 3D glory with full voice-acting.

"They're all ruined!"

Please... no shitty japanese-ified voice acting. I don't think hollywood could do it right, and I know Square wouldn't... There is nothing worse than the weak pussy boy voice of any of the heroes in any of thier movies... FF:AC had shit voice acting, for example... do you remember what Barrett sounded like?

Unless they get known American actors and actresses--known at least to someone in the acting field-- I don't want to hear any voices in that game, AT ALL... I also don't want strangely segmented monsters like those in AC. That final monster looked more like a crappy transformer than anything else. Oh yeah... and Square, when you stab something, the sword goes IN to what you stab.

Thanks.

I love FF7, and I can see an update fucking it up... I would buy it though.

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No idea, there hasn't been any confirmation if the keynote is going to be blogged at all. Some major announcements could be made, and it would be embargoed until TGS is over. :(

Are you sure about that? A post over a Neogaf says it's later on:
    Kaz Hirai keynote times:

The keynote starts at September 20th: 10:30am in Japan ( kyoto ):

remember summer time/daylight saving time!
    if nothing said, it's sept. 20th.

GMT ( not for UK/Irish people): 1:30am (GMT+0)
    BST ( for all people living in UK and Ireland): 2:30am (GMT+1)
    CEST ( Amsterdam/Paris/Berlin/Rome etc ): 3:30am (GMT+2)
    New Zealand: 13:30(pm) (GMT+12)
    AUS Sydney: 11.30am (GMT+10)
    USA NY: Sept 19th: 21.30(pm) (GMT-4)
    USA LA: Sept 19th: 18.30(pm) (GMT-7)

It's perfect for me anyway, 1.30pm. :lol:

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »

"They're all ruined!"

Please... no shitty japanese-ified voice acting. I don't think hollywood could do it right, and I know Square wouldn't... There is nothing worse than the weak pussy boy voice of any of the heroes in any of thier movies... FF:AC had shit voice acting, for example... do you remember what Barrett sounded like?

Unless they get known American actors and actresses--known at least to someone in the acting field-- I don't want to hear any voices in that game, AT ALL... I also don't want strangely segmented monsters like those in AC. That final monster looked more like a crappy transformer than anything else. Oh yeah... and Square, when you stab something, the sword goes IN to what you stab.

Thanks.

No, fuck that. If you want an FFVII without voice acting, play the original. Final Fantasies have voice-acting now. If they half-ass a remake they may as well not do one at all.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not only will a FFVII remake have voices, it'll probably be the same people used for AC, DoC, Kingdom Hearts 2, and are going to be used for Crisis Core, both on the English and Japanese side. Square's being very consistent about voice actors on both sides of the ocean.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Are you sure about that? A post over a Neogaf says it's later on:
    Kaz Hirai keynote times:

The keynote starts at September 20th: 10:30am in Japan ( kyoto ):

remember summer time/daylight saving time!
    if nothing said, it's sept. 20th.

GMT ( not for UK/Irish people): 1:30am (GMT+0)
    BST ( for all people living in UK and Ireland): 2:30am (GMT+1)
    CEST ( Amsterdam/Paris/Berlin/Rome etc ): 3:30am (GMT+2)
    New Zealand: 13:30(pm) (GMT+12)
    AUS Sydney: 11.30am (GMT+10)
    USA NY: Sept 19th: 21.30(pm) (GMT-4)
    USA LA: Sept 19th: 18.30(pm) (GMT-7)

It's perfect for me anyway, 1.30pm. :lol:

I don't know, right now there are several idiots staying up in GAF expecting something to be announced now, but I've been getting mixed reports about either an embargo, or that the keynote is supposed to start the next day.

And here's the rumor going around again.
    Dont know if this is old but i just read this from PSU

The hype train has now reached full speed with the latest issue of Famitsu, a popular Japanese gaming magazine, hinting at a possible Final Fantasy VII remake.

From the translation, Famitsu states, "A third party game that will save the PlayStation 3 in Japan is to be announced tomorrow."

Will all the recent rumors hitting the net lately, we can only assume they are talking about Square Enix and Final Fantasy VII (Whether or not the speculated Endless Crisis: Final Fantasy VII reported yesterday is a separate project or not is unknown, though it may simply just be the full title for a proposed remake)

Also, according to rumor, whatever this new title is from Square Enix, it is being fully funded by Sony

So I guess I'll just check back around noonish and see if anything cropped up. This thread is the first place I'm looking, so don't let me down folks.

Unless Sony/Square lets us down first.

• Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »

"They're all ruined!"

Thanks.

Oh come on when you played FF7 did you not imagine Barret having a voice like Mr T's?

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Honestly, after FFXII's voice acting, I'm willing to trust Square on picking voice actors, because that shit was fucking great.

I dunno about AC, since I never listened to the English VA, but the Japanese was just fine.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The hype train has now reached full speed with the latest issue of Famitsu, a popular Japanese gaming magazine, hinting at a possible Final Fantasy VII remake.

From the translation, Famitsu states, "A third party game that will save the PlayStation 3 in Japan is to be announced tomorrow."

Will all the recent rumors hitting the net lately, we can only assume they are talking about Square Enix and Final Fantasy VII (Whether or not the speculated Endless Crisis: Final Fantasy VII reported yesterday is a separate project or not is unknown, though it may simply just be the full title for a proposed remake)

Also, according to rumor, whatever this new title is from Square Enix, it is being fully funded by Sony

So I guess I'll just check back around noonish and see if anything cropped up. This thread is the first place I'm looking, so don't let me down folks.

I suppose it would be way too much for me to hope for a new Chrono game in these circumstances, huh?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Please let it be a remake.

Edit: No mention of a new chrono game here, or I'll personally punch your face in.

It can wait after the FFVII remake, for its turn.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nightslyr wrote:
    I suppose it would be way too much for me to hope for a new Chrono game in these circumstances, huh?

I'm not sure how much it would gain. It still looks incredible, turning it into 3D might make it lose a lot of its charm.

Perhaps if they went in the direction of Street Fighter and resharpen the scenery and characters rather than a total 3D overhaul that might work.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Does Square even still have most of the staff that was involved in CT?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Does Square even still have most of the staff that was involved in CT?

I'm not sure about all the staff, but I do know they still employ all three directors of the game (Kitase, Tokita and Matsui), as well as Kazuhiko Aoki. I can't imagine Sakaguchi would be a huge loss since his title for the development was just as 'supervisor' and Uematsu only composed a small amount of songs for the soundtrack.

I'm also looking down the credits list and seeing a few familiar names. Nomura, Ito and Matsueda all popped out.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Well, we know that there are two things japanese gamers eat up like candy and that's Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest - considering Dragon Quest we know is out due to the recent DS endeavor I suppose the survey says...
    chocobo racing!

.la1n on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Final Fantasy VII: End the Catastrophically-bad games
    Hmm, did you mean to insult FFVII? I can't tell, because, grammatically, you actually insulted every FF prior to VII. Maybe that's what you meant, but, if so, it's a pretty unpopular stance.

Confused in Cali,

The former, and oh well if it's unpopular. Could care less.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »

Edit: No mention of a new chrono game here, or I'll personally punch your face in.

No, I'm sorry, a new Chrono game would be FAR more worth it compared to an FFVII remake, by far.

BY FAR. :/

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No, I'm sorry, a new Chrono game would be FAR more worth it compared to an FFVII remake, by far.

Yeah, but supposedly this new game would "save the PS3".

The Chrono series, while good, won't save shit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That's entirely debatable. The Chrono series is massively popular, and if anything a new Chrono game is necessary to wrap up the immense amount of loose ends left after both CT and CC.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

While I agree that it's about time for some Chrono Lovin', I want a FFVII remake more. Also, I'd like to see VIII remade. Then, my number 1 "square shud do dis" ranting will be for a new chrono game.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's gonna be FFVII meets Chrono Trigger ala Jetsons meets the Flintstones.

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's gonna be FFVII meets Chrono Trigger ala Jetsons meets the Flintstones.

That quote was made immensely better since I read your title immediately afterwards.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've gotta admit, I'd kill for a FFVII remake. It really wasn't my favorite in the series, but if any game in the franchise needed a remake, it'd be 7. To me, it's virtually unplayable - and yes, I'll say that would be because of the graphics. This game has aged unbelievably badly. FFVII with AC graphics would be astounding.

But besides that. FVII had a great setting and pretty good story, and I'd love to see that fleshed out.

Graviija on
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As much I love FFVII I would kill for a Chrono game to finally come out in europe

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333