As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

company pay offs for game exclusives

SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
what do you think about it?

there has been a lot of fuss about M$ paying some crazy amount of money to keep bioshock exclusive. are they the only guilty party? is it any worse than just buying up publishers? the subject got me wondering what you guys think.

whos havin butt-seks
Smilingoat on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Happens alot. Money makes the world go round, mate.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Didn't FFXIII just get the PS3 exclusive? I'm sure a big bag of money from Sony had something to do with that.

Shogun on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Protip: use of the term "M$" makes you sound like a moron.

Also, Sony doled out tons of cash for exclusives during the PS2 era.

Edit: Shogun, FF13 has always been PS3 exclusive.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Smilingoat wrote: »
    M$

Oh I see what you did there. That's very clever, and original aswell.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    $ony?

D$?

i got nothing.

Serpent on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sony had Square bound by contract in regard to Final Fantasy, right? Hasn't that been long since over with since 12?

Henroid on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Didn't FFXIII just get the PS3 exclusive? I'm sure a big bag of money from Sony had something to do with that.

doubt it for ff13, ff13 has been ps3 exclusive from start

maybe mgs 4 they spent some cash to keep it exclusive

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    20001023h.jpg

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »

doubt it for ff13, ff13 has been ps3 exclusive from start

maybe mgs 4 they spent some cash to keep it exclusive

FFXIII has been assumed to be PS3 exclusive from the start.

The only reason it actually is would be a truly gigantic bag of money from Sony. Square is a big fan of making a profit, so they have no reason to keep with the exclusivity unless they got paid out the ass to do so.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't understand the issue really. It's business, all of the big three want you to buy their consoles and having exclusive games is a big incentive to do so.

Sometimes I'm disappointed when I hear that such and such a game has become exclusive but never for a second would I put the blame on any of he big three or the developers. It happens every generation, it's part of the business model.

If the money the developers are given for exclusivity is put into make a better game then I'm all for it.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Smilingoat wrote: »
    what do you think about it?

there has been a lot of fuss about M$ paying some crazy amount of money to keep bioshock exclusive. are they the only guilty party? is it any worse than just buying up publishers? the subject got me wondering what you guys think.

This has been happening since around the PS1 generation, if not earlier.

In fact, this gen it seems to be slowing down, as game dev costs are just getting too high and so console manufacturers can't pay enough money to make exclusivity worthwhile in most cases.

And the dollar sign is not a letter and does not belong in words.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wait, where has there been fuss over MS paying for an exclusive? That's happened forever. I have seen no fuss, until this post from you. Seriously, anyone fussing over an exclusivity deal involving money needs to get their head out of their ass.
    Exclusives are exclusives for a variety of reasons, but money factors into almost all of them. Sometimes a company thinks that by releasing on one console, the dev costs for developing it on other consoles would overshadow the profit from releasing it on those other consoles, which is why we see so many PS3/360 multiplats showing up. Sometimes they only have the money for one console's development and choose the one they think will be the most profitable. Sometimes they only have a dev kit for one console, sometimes the exclusivity has been bought, sometimes sometimes sometimes there are so many reasons. All but one that I can think of has to do with money(a developer really likes the hardware of one console, so decides to develop for that(e.g. Kojima)).

Seriously, what "fuss"? Anyone who's fussing is dumb.

Khavall on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    And the dollar sign is not a letter and does not belong in words.
    $ays ¥ou.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Money hat!

MKR on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    Wait, where has there been fuss over MS paying for an exclusive? That's happened forever. I have seen no fuss, until this post from you. Seriously, anyone fussing over an exclusivity deal involving money needs to get their head out of their ass.
    Exclusives are exclusives for a variety of reasons, but money factors into almost all of them. Sometimes a company thinks that by releasing on one console, the dev costs for developing it on other consoles would overshadow the profit from releasing it on those other consoles, which is why we see so many PS3/360 multiplats showing up. Sometimes they only have the money for one console's development and choose the one they think will be the most profitable. Sometimes they only have a dev kit for one console, sometimes the exclusivity has been bought, sometimes sometimes sometimes there are so many reasons. All but one that I can think of has to do with money(a developer really likes the hardware of one console, so decides to develop for that(e.g. Kojima)).

I bet it is happening on other forums. Y'know, fanboys and the like. "How dare this company use standard business tactics! Evil!"

Henroid on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This crap is on other forums as well, unfortunately, and all started with Jack Tretton proudly proclaiming that Sony does not buy exclusives.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/03/sonys-jack-tretton-we-dont-buy-exclusivity/

Now its fanboy fodder for why PS3 is the best and MS sucks and blah blah blabbity blah...

One, pretty much everyone knows this is bullshit. Two, if true, what the hell is wrong with Sony? Its not a mark of pride or good ethics *Sony... MS... ethics...?*. Lets assume Konami says "Screw the PS3, highest bidder gets the game". Its a bad thing for MS and 360 owners if they buy the rights to have the game on their console? PS3 owners win by having one less game on theirs? O_o

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    20041103h.jpg

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    $ony?

D$?

i got nothing.

moer like Ninyendo m i rite?

sorry

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    EliteLamer and fragglefart's posts bring a nice end to what may come of this topic.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    $ony?

D$?

i got nothing.

sorry

Well, at least I never heard that one before!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

I bet it is happening on other forums. Y'know, fanboys and the like. "How dare this company use standard business tactics! Evil!"

Man, no one has any reason to talk though. Like, Ninty pays for exclusives, MS pays for exclusives, and Sony, even though they said they didn't, well, Christmas and PSPs.

Also, I think Sony's refusal to pay for exclusives made sense when they were still riding the PS2, and didn't have to pay for exclusives. Now they really should start doing it again.

Khavall on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    $ony?

D$?

i got nothing.

sorry

Moar leik Penny Ar¢ade. :x

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what gets my goat? People who say "That's the way things are done, quit whining about it." I don't even care about the exclusivity thing, this argument is completely full of shit. It neatly dodges the question of whether or not the activity is right or wrong or indeterminant.

Why should we be outraged at a politician lying; they all do it. Why should you punish Jimmy for talking during class; all kids do it. Why should I get a speeding ticket; nobody obeys the posted limit.

This argument is crap. Because it is done does not make it right or even acceptable.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    $ony?

D$?

i got nothing.

sorry

Well, at least I never heard that one before!

How about W€? Anyone try that before? O_o

*Of course this can't work, because Nintendo clearly hates Europe.
    .... or do they?.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Exclusives are more or less dead, unless you count the '360/PS3' exclusiveness of some titles over the Wii (but that's mainly due to performance, and I hate to say it, waggle),

The costs of developing 'next gen' titles is quite high. The cost of making a game playable on another platform is only a fraction of this with a huge (hopefully) profit margin.

As for companies paying for exclusives, what else are they to do? Blow them? I mean, only in a few cases will you see some sort of brand loyality.

Magus` on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    $ony?

D$?

i got nothing.

More than not on my UK keyboard I have used shift to tuype PS£, where the £ replaces a 3 in caps lock. :D

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    You know what gets my goat? People who say "That's the way things are done, quit whining about it." I don't even care about the exclusivity thing, this argument is completely full of shit. It neatly dodges the question of whether or not the activity is right or wrong or indeterminant.

Why should we be outraged at a politician lying; they all do it. Why should you punish Jimmy for talking during class; all kids do it. Why should I get a speeding ticket; nobody obeys the posted limit.

This argument is crap. Because it is done does not make it right or even acceptable.

The reason that argument is being used here is because no one, outside of some fanboys looking to score points for their console, seems to have a problem with it, aka nothing is being done wrong.

Why give a lecture on a question that barely warrants a yes or no answer?

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Brynj wrote: »
    tarnok wrote: »

The reason that argument is being used here is because no one, outside of some fanboys looking to score points for their console, seems to have a problem with it, aka nothing is being done wrong.

Why give a lecture on a question that barely warrants a yes or no answer?

He's right! Companies are totally acting in their own interest! We should be outraged that the wool has been pulled over our eyes for so long.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SmilingoatSmilingoat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Protip: use of the term "M$" makes you sound like a moron.

Also, Sony doled out tons of cash for exclusives during the PS2 era.

Edit: Shogun, FF13 has always been PS3 exclusive.

i own a 360 and have no interest in the ps3. want a wii.

Smilingoat on
    whos havin butt-seks
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    well, it sucks for the end user in terms of a given game being yanked away from their system and put onto another if money was the sole reason for it, but Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo (yes, even Nintendo) care about the bottom line. They want games to sell their systems so they have a larger install base....etc etc.

I mean if say, Bioshock was likely to go on PS3 sometime in the future that'd be awesome and I'd love a chance to own it on my system, but that's not likely the case. If MS payed money so that I can't own it on my system but will have to buy theirs to do so, well, yeah it sucks but it does happen all the time. I kinda expect it.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am a fan of any thread where the great Period appears. Anyway, I don't mind console exclusives being exclusive due to hot tubs filled with money. Its a business, in the end. Besides, who around here actually enjoys multi-platform games that much? Nearly every one of them has a superior version on one console or the other (especially on the last generation. See: Splinter Cell).

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I kind of resent it, I mean, lets say I buy an Xbox 360, Microsoft then take a small chunk of what I spent on that console and use it to prevent PS3 owners from being able to play a game.

But on the flipside, that's how an exchange of goods work.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what pisses me off? When televi$ion stations pay for exclusive broadcast rights to popular programs. All programs should be on all stations everywhere. Also, there shouldn't be any ads, and we shouldn't have to pay for TVs either. That's how things should be.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    NinjacratNinjacrat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what pisses me off? People doing retarded passive-agressive strawman arguments on the internet.

Tihis isn't a joke, no. I'm talking to you, Dirtchamber.

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ninjacrat wrote: »
    You know what pisses me off? People doing retarded passive-agressive strawman arguments on the internet.

Tihis isn't a joke, no. I'm talking to you, Dirtchamber.

Next time you want to play Internet Tough Guy, you should make sure to only use terms that you understand. That way, you wont look like such a fucking idiot when you whip out a phrase like "passive-aggressive strawman arguments".

This isn't a joke, no. I'm talking to you, Ninjacrat. I'm saying that you're a queefy little vagina. Should we maybe have a duel now or something? Would that be direct and blatant enough for you?

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Ahem.

Echo on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Man, no one has any reason to talk though. Like, Ninty pays for exclusives, MS pays for exclusives, and Sony, even though they said they didn't, well, Christmas and PSPs.

Also, I think Sony's refusal to pay for exclusives made sense when they were still riding the PS2, and didn't have to pay for exclusives. Now they really should start doing it again.

Nintendo pays for exclusives? I've yet to see one instance where they have paid for an exclusive, outside of Nintendo games developed by Namco/Sega/Capcom (and the Triforce was involved in those deals).

On the other hand, Sony's paid for a lot of exclusives, although these days it is rare to see it be longer than 6 months.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Ahem.

You know, that is kinda like the "Mhm" bit from that one episode of Conan where Bill Gates was demoing Media Center and it crashed.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Athenor wrote: »

Nintendo pays for exclusives? I've yet to see one instance where they have paid for an exclusive, outside of Nintendo games developed by Namco/Sega/Capcom (and the Triforce was involved in those deals).

On the other hand, Sony's paid for a lot of exclusives, although these days it is rare to see it be longer than 6 months.

I just assumed it had happened at some point. I guess though, no I can't really see any times where that has happened. Oh well, I'm sure they've paid money for something that someone who thinks its immoral not to release every console and game for free would think is immoral.

Khavall on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah. Nintendo's form of paying for exclusives is to buy the company. Like Monolith-soft.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch