As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Proper Beard Advice and Maintenance: Hobos Welcome

ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, i have a pretty manly beard. Let's just get that out in the open right now. The kind of beard that if you saw it, you'd go "Goddamn that is certainly a beard".

I also am married, and don't really have or need a job dealing with the public or an actual employer.

So issues of maintenance and fullness are nonexistent.

What i want to know, and can never seem to get a consistent answer on, is if there's some sort of preset genetic cap on beard length. My high school biology teacher way back when always used to say there was, but he...said a lot of things.

I'm a few months into Beardville at this point, and it's reaching right around the top of my chest, more than enough to obscure my neck. I keep the neck bits shaved and the sides shorter, to accentuate length over general bushiness. But it seems to have kinda slowed down. And while i have a beard to rival Jim Morrison's corpse, enough for even the manliest of men, i want to range into legendary territory. I need like a viking beard that i can pleat and twist bones into before i sack villages.

Is this possible, or am i doomed to have a beard that stops when it stops?

Scumdogg on

• Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And your wife is ok with this quest?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    It'll stop when it stops, and its different for everyone. The only thing they have in common is that long long beards look fucking retarded on anyone.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    And your wife is ok with this quest?

She'll like what i tell her to like.

Serious answer though, yeah, she's cool with it. Really, when there's no logical reason holding me back from bearding it up, why not just go for it? When things cycle back around and the beard is once again symbolic of all things from presidential to intellectual, i will already have the best beard in town. It's called planning ahead. :)
    Besides, i used to rock the chopstache combo that makes you either look like a Steampunk bartender or a Charles Dickens-esque British banking fatcat. I think she is even more accepting of the beard because it doesn't represent such an anachronistic state.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    It'll stop when it stops, and its different for everyone. The only thing they have in common is that long long beards look fucking retarded on anyone.

I agree with this 100%

I read your post and went "Wait, people are still growing long beards ... ?"

I've seen guys with beardly stubble and such, but never a real .. long beard. I don't know whether to clap or shake my head, but either way, I think it's just one of those things that depends on the person. Same way some people have very spotty beards (poor saps), and some people have very thick, lustrous facial hair.

I guess you could always get beard extensions? Why am I encouraging this?

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Keep in mind, your hair follicles have NO idea how long your beard is, they're just pumping out hair as fast as they can. The thing that determines the maximum length of your beard will be how prone your hair is to breaking or just falling out. That is certainly genetic, as some people will have stronger hair or stronger roots or whatever.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Keep in mind, your hair follicles have NO idea how long your beard is, they're just pumping out hair as fast as they can. The thing that determines the maximum length of your beard will be how prone your hair is to breaking or just falling out. That is certainly genetic, as some people will have stronger hair or stronger roots or whatever.

This makes pretty good sense. Perhaps i should investigate some sort of strengthening conditioner if i'm gonna be in this for the long haul.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

this is just outright false.
    061025zztop.jpg

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know the first thing about beard genetics, but I do have to say that that is one of the funniest OP's I've read in a long time.

Also, you lucky bastard, I have to shave. D:

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hairs basically have a period of growth, possibly a period of stagnation, and then they fall out. If your hairs have long growth periods (and grow quickly) then you will be able to have a longer beard.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

this is just outright false.
    061025zztop.jpg

you fail, sir!

Yeah, I don't mean to sound harsh. Its really not my thing, and you may get funny looks, but if you and the person expected to jam her face into yours on a regular basis are ok with it, go for your life :P its certainly worth taking care of that hair as much as you would the scalp. Just don't be afraid of trimming it, even if it takes longer to grow out at least it won't get scatty and wonky.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Burn the ZZ Top Blasphemer!!

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Thats some very poor taste you have there, Cat. You're young so most likely a beard would be unappealing to you so to someone more mature it may have an opposite affect. Men in my family look much better with beards as it just naturally grows better on their face than other folk. Heck, even George Clooney looks pretty good with a beard.

I digest... Scumdogg, beards are like head hair and its just gonna grow.
    I'm not gay for Clooney

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Clooney doesn't have a beard, he has designer stubble. And I don't think its poor taste on anyone's part to dislike you. Not to derail or anything.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    TheFishTheFish Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If it's not a Brian Blessed then it's not a beard!

page0_blog_entry18_1.jpg

TheFish on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think we can all agree that Blessed is an exception to the rule.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Clooney doesn't have a beard, he has designer stubble.

Lies.

I think LondonBridge meant this beard:

ls-syriana%20-%20george%20clooney1.jpg

It most definitely has beardy qualities. Also, not everyone looks stupid with long beards. For example, it's widely accepted that if the Archbishop of Canterbury fulfilled the druidic potential of his facial hair, then there would be no more of this schism stuff.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What we need is a beard scientist to come help us out.

I've also started growing my beard, initially out of laziness, but now I am keeping it as an experiment. I'm starting a new job and I'm going to keep the beard for a week or two while I familarise myself with people such, then I might go back to clean-shaven or a mustache. Do you think it will change people's perception of me? I would hope people are not so shallow that it would, but I don't really know, hence the experiment. Any thoughts?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Didn't we use to have our own personal Zangief on the board?

Somebody PM that guy.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Somebody PM that guy.

When i had my beard shorter i went for the Zangief look, mohawk and all. Now it's just too long for Zangief. Then as it got longer i trimmed it up a bit and had my King Leonidas period. Now it's longer than that. I've got a long way to go before ZZ Top, so i'm thinking about a layover at Hasidic Jew.

This is another strong argument for beards. Those not blessed with generous amounts of facial hair are doomed to look the same day in and day out, until time ravages their once-youthful looks. Every couple weeks, i'm in completely different territory, looks-wise. I think shaving would be like Rogue wanting to give up her powers in X-Men 3. Sure, it seems like a good idea at first, but then you realize it's foolish to squander one's genetic gifts.

I'm not going to camwhore up this thread with my ugly mug, but for those interested, the picture in my profile is my Leonidas phase. That was like two months ago.

Anyway, i'm glad the beard-supporters have come out of the woodwork, and you'll all be happy to know i've obtained the strengthening conditioner. Fashionable stubble and line-beards, you've made a powerful enemy.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a pretty decent beard, but it gets too curly to really get that length.

Also, I tend to neurotically trim my beard while using my computer, so I'll probably never know my full beard potential.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hell, lets get a proper beard thread going. We can discuss manly beard issues, and the pros and cons of using high or low carbon steel trimming scissors.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have this same problem. I've always wanted to grow my beard out really full - not long necessarily, but "full" - think this guy. My problem is that, once my facial hair reaches a certain length, it starts getting really curly and messy looking. If I keep it trimmed short it looks fine, but I get tired of that and want to fill it out a bit. Is there a way to "straighten" facial hair, if that makes any sense? Like, somehow treat it so that it remains straight and lays flat instead of curling up everywhere?

Oh, also:
    20040128h.gif

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    About all I can grow is a goatee. Hair just doesn't sprout from the rest of my face. My childhood dreams of a grizzly adams syle beard will never be realized!

Serule on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Serule wrote: »
    About all I can grow is a goatee. Hair just doesn't sprout from the rest of my face. My childhood dreams of a grizzly adams syle beard will never be realized!

I may have to initiate some sort of humanitarian effort here. Grinding and then farming out my beard to those less fortunate. Specifically, the less fortunate financially capable of purchasing their manliness.

Also, proper beard thread? I heard proper beard thread somewhere. Consider the thread slightly altered. :)

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can I donate my beard growth to you in some way

Because my face apparently loves to sprout hair because goddamn fuck it grows so fast and I don't want it.

I've been told this is because I have Greek heritage. Fuck Greece.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This is me, too. For those of us incapable of growing manly facial hair anywhere but the chin, what options do we have?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wigs?

I heard a bit of an urban myth a little while back that if you irritate the skin you can induce follicle growth gradually. But I'm pretty sure that's a myth.

devoir on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried doing a beard or goatee once, but it didn't work out. I apparently have some pretty wacked out genes going on. The actual hair is fine. It's an even coverage, not patchy looking at all. It's the colour. I have dark brown hair. But for some reason, my beard is technicoloured. About half is dark brown, a quarter is really light brown, possibly bordering on blond, and the other quarter is freaking red. You can only see this looking at it close up. But from a distance, all you can see is the dark brown, which gives it a real ugly patchy look. It's really noticeable on the upper lip, where it almost looks like I have a Hitler mustache or something.

This also has the side effect in that I can't seem to get that 5 o-clock shadow look, which is something I've always wanted to try.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried doing a beard or goatee once, but it didn't work out. I apparently have some pretty wacked out genes going on. The actual hair is fine. It's an even coverage, not patchy looking at all. It's the colour. I have dark brown hair. But for some reason, my beard is technicoloured. About half is dark brown, a quarter is really light brown, possibly bordering on blond, and the other quarter is freaking red. You can only see this looking at it close up. But from a distance, all you can see is the dark brown, which gives it a real ugly patchy look. It's really noticeable on the upper lip, where it almost looks like I have a Hitler mustache or something.

This also has the side effect in that I can't seem to get that 5 o-clock shadow look, which is something I've always wanted to try.

If you dye your hair a reddish tone it will bring all of that color out and probably look good. That is, if red tones look good on you.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

If you dye your hair a reddish tone it will bring all of that color out and probably look good. That is, if red tones look good on you.

I may try that. I've got the same thing as The Wolfman (posting in a beard thred - ha!). head hair is very uniform, but face hair starts going crazy with the colors; I'll get some that are raven black.

Right now I've just got a patchy thing on my chin. Looks OK if I keep it trimmed.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

This is me, too. For those of us incapable of growing manly facial hair anywhere but the chin, what options do we have?

Basically all you can do is to try and have the best goatee possible. Under no circumstances should patchy beards be "tolerated" until they fill in. It just looks desperate. But goatees, if done right, are perfectly acceptable.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Also, I tend to neurotically trim my beard while using my computer, so I'll probably never know my full beard potential.

And you must have a terribly nasty keyboard as well...

meeker on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My beard doesn't grow out symetrically. The hairs on the point of my chin tend to have their own inconsistant growth rate. When I try to sport a goatee, the hairs on the sides of my mouth that would connect my moustache to my chin-beard, one side tends to grow less than the other. So I tend to wear a goatee sans the moustache.

It's pretty annoying. I've been looking for a reliable electrical shaver. I've been going with my old Gilette Mach 3 since it's been introduced to the market. And I've been shaving since I was 15. D:

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Somebody PM that guy.

Would that be me? Beards rule!

Edit: I really have no choice but to grow a beard. When I was clean shaven, I'd have to shave 2 times a day to keep the shadow away. It's easier to shave my head every coupla days. As I said in another thread, I don't condition it normally. It's soft regardless.

3b61xy1.jpg

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I like beards, but as a female I've found that I am really more of a fan of mustaches. It sounds crazy. But my boyfriend's mustache is amazing.

OP, what you're wanting is to keep your beard healthy so it can reach optimal length. Look for special beard care products like these.

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Godamnit. I just shaved my goat today and now I'm regretting it. My manliness ...gone.

I tried the goat for a while after sporting Abe Lincoln sideburns for half a year. If I grow my head hair out I pull off a nice Wolverine, but I don't think I can pull off a Lenoidas. Sporting that much man is a dangerous responsibility I'm not ready to accept.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm a darker blonde. My goat grows in red and the stash part is brown.

This brings my girlfriend much confusion and mirth at my expense.

She likes it though.....I think.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

How old are you? I couldn't really grow a beard until I was like 27 or so.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Daemonion wrote: »
    Godamnit. I just shaved my goat today and now I'm regretting it. My manliness ...gone.

I tried the goat for a while after sporting Abe Lincoln sideburns for half a year. If I grow my head hair out I pull off a nice Wolverine, but I don't think I can pull off a Lenoidas. Sporting that much man is a dangerous responsibility I'm not ready to accept.

Do it...
    tonightwedineinhell-tiny.jpg

For Sparta.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That is quite the chin jungle you have there.

A most manly of high fives to you.

DrZiplock on