As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legitimacy of Religions

DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
A recent news story caught my attention. Basically, a high school kid is told that he must cut his hair to follow school dress code, and he informs the school that that goes against his religion, which is Rastafarianism. The superintendent then tells the kids' lawyer that his religion "is illegitimate".

Now, I suppose even some of us would say that Rastafarianism isn't a real religion, and that brings me to the real point that this article has made me ponder: When exactly does a religion become a religion? When does it gain legitimacy? It's more complicated than simple numbers -t here are many cults that can be considered religions - after all, Christianity started out as a small cult. And you can't really argue that certain beliefs are "too far out there" to be considered legitimate - most all religions have a myriad of irrational beliefs and unprovable claims stated as the absolute truth. So how do we define a "legitimate religion"?

DarkPrimus on

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All religions are illegitimate. Or, alternately, equally worthy of respect.

There is no line, and the more you press people on this, the more likely they are to start turning red, spurting steam from their ears, and saying, "Rastas just aren't as true as Christians, goddamnit!"

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The superintendant may be referencing the belief that Rastafari is not a registered / organized religion. Which would mean it would not qualify for protections from religious prosecution.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Is your religion old and rich? Then welcome to the circle of moral superiority.

New and Poor? You idiot, take your crackpot beliefs back to the sewers.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The superintendant may be referencing the belief that Rastafari is not a registered / organized religion. Which would mean it would not qualify for protections from religious prosecution.

There are registration forms for religions? Lemme at em, I wanna make a few new ones.

Aurin on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think not having to pay taxes is like a rite of passage or something.

All religions are illegitimate. Doesn't matter if god exists or not. Even if some kind of god exists somewhere, the stories that our religions tell are nothing but bullshit.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think not having to pay taxes is like a rite of passage or something.

All religions are illegitimate. Doesn't matter if god exists or not. Even if some kind of god exists somewhere, the stories that our religions tell are nothing but bullshit.
    The adherents of those religions would all disagree with you, of course.

What do we mean by 'legitimate' anyway? The most easy answer would be 'a species that achieves the goal of its genus.' So what's the accepted goal of religions?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    When exactly does a religion become a religion? When does it gain legitimacy? It's more complicated than simple numbers -t here are many cults that can be considered religions - after all, Christianity started out as a small cult.

Christianity is no longer a small cult, though. A lot of it does boil down to numbers...are there enough of you to register on the radar of politicians, and to band together to assert your rights? That's pretty much the cutoff.
    All religions are illegitimate. Or, alternately, equally worthy of respect.

Pretty much. Though I lean toward the latter, I use "respect" pretty loosely...I've been known to call some pretty high-profile religions crackpot cults, but I still think they have the right to follow their beliefs as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

In a lot of ways, yes. Sometimes, though, it depends on how "crackpot" the beliefs are. This kinda follows from the above; often as long as you don't live in West Bumfuck, Kansas (or, you know, Texas as in the OP) as long as your religion doesn't actually infringe on the rights of others you can get away with a lot of shit if you take the time and effort to lawyer up.

Some things aren't going to happen (arranging marriages for 14-year-old girls against their will to their cousins), some thing are going to be a serious uphill battle (contradicting federal drug laws)...but hair? Doable.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    tbloxham wrote: »

I've read that prisons do have to hire Satanist priests for their inmates because they demand it. All two of them.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You have to "register" religions for protection? And who exactly registers a religion?

Atheists and non-believers are protected under religious persecution laws, but there's not figurehead for non-believers like there is for the Catholic Church.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No religions should get tax breaks. No religions should get special treatment. Solves the fucking problem in a second, it does.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Reaper SmithReaper Smith __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

I've read that prisons do have to hire Satanist priests for their inmates because they demand it. All two of them.

That's not that crackpot.

Despite the mono, poly, and pantheistic beliefs that proliferate through out the world, most agree on the existence of a 'devil'.

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    As a rule of thumb, I call those religious organizations which strive to separate believers from their family members, dominate their lives in a hands on way and demand a great deal of their money cults and I don't hold them legitimate. Organizations which do not I call religions.

Shinto on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

Despite the mono, poly, and pantheistic beliefs that proliferate through out the world, most agree on the existence of a 'devil'.
    It's inane to say that they 'agree' on the existence of such a being when the majority do not have one, and the majority of the remaining religions count the 'Satanist' portfolio among established members of their pantheon or their one deity alone-- nothing like the Satan of Christian mythos. That's a pretty odd fish, right there, it is.

I mean, depending on how far you are going to stretch the evil demon archetype, maybe this gets... slightly... defensible... but really, all you're talking about is a portfolio then, and not the existence of a 'devil' character.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oboro wrote: »

It's inane to say that they 'agree' on the existence of such a being when the majority do not have one, and the majority of the remaining religions count the 'Satanist' portfolio among established members of their pantheon or their one deity alone-- nothing like the Satan inspired in Christian mythos. That's a pretty odd fish, right there, it is.

I mean, depending on how far you are going to stretch the evil demon archetype, maybe this gets... slightly... defensible... but really, all you're talking about a portfolio then, and not the existence of a 'devil' character.

Maya? That's Hindi.

Simply Illusion.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

So in our hugely over crowded prisons we have two satanists? The same prisons overflowing with christian convicts? Two?

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here.

Detharin on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Religion becomes a religion when there are enough numbers to back up their claims. Remember, many fools who believe can make something that is'nt true, true. It's also a religion when there are people handing out money to a "Higher order" or some shit. Apparently there are alot of broke gods out there and worship costs.

I believe in cereal, and I don't have enough numbers to back me up, therefore I don't have a religion.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Detharin wrote: »
    So in our hugely over crowded prisons we have two satanists? The same prisons overflowing with christian convicts? Two?

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here.

That people tend to commit crimes at roughly the same rate regardless of religion? Has anybody claimed otherwise?

EDIT: Looking at the above post, I think I see where this thread is going.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Your religion is just your way of reconnecting with the world. The rituals that go along with a religion are just forms designed to reconnect you to reality, but the blood of the vine grows thin and their strength wanes.

God is to Devil as Reality is to Illusion.

Therefore, all religions can be equally valid, yet equally wrong.

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    When exactly does a religion become a religion? When does it gain legitimacy?

When it gains tax-except status.

_J_ on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't understand why religions are tax-exempt in the first place.

Our laws should not even recognize the concept of "religion," as separate from any other sort of ideology. As far as the law is concerned, there should be two types of such ideologies: those that violate our legal code, and those that don't. Those that do (for example, most religions and political beliefs) will be tolerated fully. Those that don't (for example, religions where young girls are forced to marry older men against their will and religions that command their followers to attack non-believers or subvert the law) will not be tolerated.

When I become emperor I'm changing it so that's how our country works. Who's with me?

Qingu on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Qingu wrote: »
    Doesn't it have to do with non-profit status and the severe limitations of organized religions' ability to participate in government?
    Our laws should not even recognize the concept of "religion," as separate from any other sort of ideology. As far as the law is concerned, there should be two types of such ideologies: those that violate our legal code, and those that don't. Those that do (for example, most religions and political beliefs) will be tolerated fully. Those that don't (for example, religions where young girls are forced to marry older men against their will and religions that command their followers to attack non-believers or subvert the law) will not be tolerated.

When I become emperor I'm changing it so that's how our country works. Who's with me?
    I'm pretty sure that's how it works now. I don't know of any religions in the U.S. that openly and blatently break the law and are allowed to get away with it simply because they are a religion. Some of them may do some crappy things, yes, but I'm pretty sure the government still goes after them if any actual crimes are commited.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007

It's mostly a way to buy them off and theoretically exempt them from interefering with the political system. Religions which are caught crossing the line with respect to meddling in political campaigns are liable to have their tax-exempt status pulled. It happens every once in a while, but not nearly as much as it fucking should lately.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Dear Emperor Norton,
    About three hundred years ago, there were folks from all over Europe who wandered away from their homelands because state law dictated what religion was "right, just and moral" and what religion was "anti-establishment." They colonized all sorts of places along the Atlantic coast of the Americas, and one of the few things they actually agreed upon was that government wouldn't dictate religious doctrine.

Does that mean that sometimes we have to deal with silliness that makes the rest of the newly born country look at some folk like they're immoral reprobates from an inbred and backwater place? Yeah, actually, it does. Fortunately, there are still mechanisms available that will allow us to prosecute people who defy the law of the state or federal government. Vile subersive people like gays who want to be married in church just like straight people, religions where young girls are forced to marry older men, other groups of people don't believe in the strict transmutation of bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ and are allowed to congregate and live in relative peace, and the twenty minutes of fun we could have with puns about "snake handlers."

So I'll hang out with the Quakers and Shakers and Unitarian Universalists, and say "Thank you, your Majesty, but no." If it could be done without alienating any of our unalienable rights, it might be a different story.

Cordially,
    Solandra

Solandra on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The superintendent made his decision based on one of two things.
    Either Rastafarianism hasn't qualified for tax exempt status (which I believe mainly depends on the number of members), or he doesn't think anyone is going to sue him for discrimination over it (probably the later).

American public schools hold a special status where students are forced to attend, and are subjected to arbitrary rules that would be unconstitutional in any other government facility. At my high school, an assistant-principal saw me and a friend reading a table top game book and told us that we couldn't have it out... at lunch... two tables down from kids reading the bible. She also said black fingernail polish wasn't allowed, because she saw some goth kids wearing it and she didn't like goth kids. An administrator says it one day, and it's a punishable offense the next.

lol

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    When exactly does a religion become a religion? When does it gain legitimacy?

When it gains tax-except status.

Because there's nothing dangerous about that line of thought.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

We can't have seperation of church and state unless we have a definition for "church" and "state".

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    As far as I know (which isn't terribly far) the IRS stuff is the only solid government definition of religion (and it is a terrible and outdated one). There is plenty of case law one can use to try and define religion, but the courts and the law writers get to skirt the issue since the whole idea is they shouldn't have any say about it. Part of the separation of church and state is that the state doesn't define church.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Part of the separation of church and state is that the state doesn't define church.

Think about what that sentence means.

You can't seperate X and Y if Y is not defined. Unless Y is everything which is not X.

And I'm pretty sure "church" and "state" do not work that way.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Give me an example.

Also you should keep in mind that that phrase isn't actually part of any amendment or law.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

We can't have seperation of church and state unless we have a definition for "church" and "state".

So that's a problem? I mean, we don't have any of those things.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Give me an example.

Of?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm sorry. An example where the state needs a definition of church to make sure there is a seperation between church and state.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What about the church of money?

Reaper Smith on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm sorry. An example where the state needs a definition of church to make sure there is a seperation between church and state.

I don't understand the question.

I think reality itself is an example of a situation in which the state needs a definition of church to ensure a seperation between church and state.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm asking for a time when the state has ever or would ever need to define religion to make sure it stayed separate from it. I'm pretty sure they never HAVE defined religion in that pursuit.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    How does one know what to keep separate if what one is supposed to keep separate is undefined?

I'm reminded of some Dilbert cartoon from days of yore, where the pointy-haired boss comes down and says that there's a new set of guidelines for employee conduct (or something like that). When Dilbert asks what they are, PHB sez that they're classified. Dilbert asks how he's supposed to know what to do. PHB says he'll just yell at Dilbert if he does anything out of line.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm asking for a time when the state has ever or would ever need to define religion to make sure it stayed separate from it. I'm pretty sure they never HAVE defined religion in that pursuit.
    There have been several Supreme Court cases about this and the vaguery of what constitutes a "religion" has lead to a lot of confusion. From memory, there was one about prayer in schools, and another one about how one can legally be a concientious objector. The Court's definition of religion is still pretty half-assed and I can definitely see how this ambiguity could be a huge problem if we ever start going after Islam.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I mean, I agree that when the problem is phrased the way _J_ puts it, _J_'s conclusion makes sense. But in practice, we don't really have a solid definition. If I understand the law correctly, anything a judge may say in court related to his ruling doesn't actually have legal standing, only the actual ruling. If a judge was asked to rule if so-and-so was protected as a religion he would have to decide if it was one or not and thus define religion, but since nothing CAN legally be protected only on the basis that it is religion, there is no decision to make. In practice, this means that anything a person claims to be a religion IS a religion.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    anything a person claims to be a religion IS a religion.

That's true.

And that's pretty much the problem.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.