As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Portal] Now you're thinking...

• Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monaro wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    because that would mean that there's a possibility of Gordon seeing himself. This is not allowed.

Hmm how come? (without spoiling it too much for a HL noobie like me).

It's kind of a staple in Valve games that the main charactor does not talk, nor see themselves, either one of these elements detracts from the "You are the hero" mentallity they want... While they've given Gordon an obvious appearance we're all familiar with, they still want people to play the game and feel like YOU are Gordon Freeman....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How the HELL do you beat advanced 18 in
    the turret room o' doom

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Edit:
    THE QUOTED SPOILER BELOW IS FOR EPISODE 2
    <3
    Houn wrote: »
    The Vorts can heal, power electrical devices, bring people back from the (mostly) dead, and protect people from giant explosions.
    I hope Billy Crystal voices a vort in the next episode.

you, sir, win for the reference.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    the turret room o' doom
    When you walk into that room, first turret is to your left and will try to fire at you. Put a portal on the wall at it's back up high and one on the ground in front of you. Jump in and land behind it, pick it up and chuck it in the water. Jump down to the solid ground and repeat for the one now in front of you. Then do the second on the left, then the one on the right. Proceed without looking like swiss cheese.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    the turret room o' doom
    When you walk into that room, first turret is to your left and will try to fire at you. Put a portal on the wall at it's back up high and one on the ground in front of you. Jump in and land behind it, pick it up and chuck it in the water. Jump down to the solid ground and repeat for the one now in front of you. Then do the second on the left, then the one on the right. Proceed without looking like swiss cheese.

or for those of you who feel bad ass....
    Open the door, quickly run out, shoot a portal on it, and run back the way you came. Jump off the ledge near the big button, shooting the other portal below you. This previous bit needs to be fast, as the door closes fairly quickly. You will fly across to the alcove with the cube. Grab it, and drop down to the lower platform, using the cube as a shield. Create a portal again, using the color you used on the angled door, and pop back out to the other room. Fling the box to the button, and proceed as normal.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    übergeek wrote: »
    the turret room o' doom

[edit]cactus beat me by a country mile.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monaro wrote: »
    the turret room o' doom

[edit]cactus beat me by a country mile.
    OR you could use yourself as a human/android ( :P ) projectile! I took out the first one on the right by making a portal behind it on the wall as described above. Then I portal'd down to the lower platform and through various trial and error figured out where to put the portal on the upper wall so that I would be launched into the other turrets. They'd start to fire just before I hit them and then I'd pick em up and drop em. Then work from there to the next one and so on. The rest is pretty easy to figure out after that.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Edit:
    THE QUOTED SPOILER BELOW IS FOR EPISODE 2
    <3
    Houn wrote: »
    The Vorts can heal, power electrical devices, bring people back from the (mostly) dead, and protect people from giant explosions.
    I hope Billy Crystal voices a vort in the next episode.

you, sir, win for the reference.

I was REALLY hoping someone would catch that, hehe.

Oh, hey, I got a reply to my e-mail to Gabe today. Not from Gabe, but Mr. Bay Raitt! Be warned, Portal and Ep2 Spoilers abound.

Original E-mail to Gabe:
    Mr. Newell,

I'm writing you because of a bit of a conundrum that has occurred on the Penny Arcade Message Boards. We've been discussing Portal and all it's greatness since release, right about here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=38054. It began as nothing but gushing praise for this masterpiece of art and entertainment you've released, with minor diversions into discussions on whether or not a video game has the power to bring about World Peace, as we are all united as one people in our love of Portals. Everything about this game is perfect: the Voice Acting is top notch, the Level Design is creative and challenging, the Visuals are superb and oh so pretty, the music is subtle and adds to the atmosphere so well, and somehow you've managed to fit in just enough of a taste of the plot, hinting about the origins and the state of the world in which Aperture Science is located, to inspire the creativity of fans all over the internet.

This, however, is the problem. The thread, which was nothing but Praise and Unity, has suddenly devolved into a tangled knot of bickering and confusion. The plot divulged is more delicious than promises of cake, but because we never reach said cake, we're left to ponder on our own the meaning behind it all; and as this IS the series of tubes known as "Internet", I think you know where I'm leading.

You see, Mr. Newell, we can't agree amongst ourselves whether or not Chell is a Natural Born Human, or some form of Artifically-Grown Android/Clone/Etc. I know, I know, it's silly, but that's what we do on forums. I must take full responsibility for the local Penny Arcade outbreak, as I'm fairly certain I was the first to put forth the idea that Chell may be Artificial in nature. I base this off several clues:

1. Chell is refered to as the Test Subject, not the Portal Gun. This leads me to believe that the Portal Gun is, of course, not what is being tested. Throughout the game, GLaDOS is constantly complimenting Chell for passing the tests, not the Device, nor would such elaborate testing areas be needed to verify the functionality of a Device so simple in function; it either makes Portals, or does not.

2. There is one point in which GLaDOS apologizes for the test chamber undergoing maintenance, and being replaced with a live fire excercise for Military Androids. Completion of this level leads directly to the infamous "Android Hell" line. This could easily be taken as a joke, however, Live-Fire Turrets continue to appear in later chambers. Also, GLaDOS has been proven to Lie to Chell for purposes of the Testing Procedure (Such as the "Unmonitored Test" and the "Impossible Test".)

3. During the Final Battle with GLaDOS, she can be heard threatening to Delete the "Backup" (GLaDOS's word) of Chell's Brain Scan, and continues to state that once deleted, Chell is really and truly dead. Now, why would GLaDOS use the word "Backup", and place such importance on it's deletion, unless GLaDOS has the ability to use that Backup to "Restore" Chell. Say, for instance, in a new body.

4. Finally, GLaDOS also makes the threat "Your entire life is a mathematical error; one I'm about to correct."

Looking at the four above Clues, it's not much of a logic leap to theorize that Chell is potentially some form of Biological Android or Clone, and, more importantly, just the current iteration of the Test Subject. Speculating further, perhaps after each test, either the Host Body, Brain Scan, or both, are modified based on the results to build a better Portal User.

(I won't bore you by getting into theories that the escape sequence and destruction of GLaDOS is also part of the test; after all, GLaDOS shouldn't be surprised in the slightest that the Char makes it into the Maintenance areas, considering that someone had to have done it before to place all those helpful signs.)

Of course, you can easily brush away all of the above with a simple "GLaDOS is insane, and known to Lie. She was saying things to get into your head." This could also be true, and if so, she's done far too good a job, and gotten into the Player's head (whoa, meta...).

In conclusion, we need your help, sir. Portal is, quite honestly, the best game I've played in years, if not the best period. I absolutely love the style and the gameplay, and love the way you present this perfect, clinical environment, and then juxtapose it with the harder, decaying truth underneath. It's the stuff that sparks imaginations, sir, and it's because the game is presented like this, that we're so intent on peaking behind the curtains. Anything you could pass along to return peace and harmony to our humble little forum would be greatly appreciated. After all, it's for World Peace.

If you can't, or won't, we understand. I personally believe that your intention all along was to create doubt and discussion, by leaving just enough of a glimpse at what's behind the Portal Plot (shower)Curtain that we simply cannot know the truth with any certainty. We'd simply reached a point in the debate where someone said, "Someone email gaben@valvesoftware.com and ask him about this Android shit. I'm getting sick of it," and I couldn't think of a better way to spend my lunch hour than by playing Fanboy to one of my favorite Game Developers of all time.

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS!

Sincerely,

<My Name>
    Steamcommunity: DigitalArcanist

(This e-mail dedicated to the memory of the Weighted Companion Cube; you burned in a fire rather than be a burden, and for that, we'll never forget you. <3 )

Response from Bay:
    Hello <my name>,

Thanks for the kind words, we're really glad you like it. While I'de love to confirm or deny your thoughts on Chell's origins that might be playing into GLaDOS's plans. I would suggest that you be warey of listening to closely to GLaDOS, she's not entirely stable. ;)

-b

And my response... response:
    Bay,

Wow. I'd kinda assumed I was writing an e-mail to the void, lost to some e-mail spam filter or mass fanmail purge. Thanks for e-mailing me back, I appreciate it.

Everything in the Orange Box is superb. I've played through Portal 3 times, once in Commentary, and will definitely play through many more times. I've been sucked into TF2 since the preorder beta, and I've not been this enamored of a multiplayer, online FPS since, well, TFC. Haven't had much interest in multiplayer FPS in the last few years, largely abandoning the idea, as most of the newer games seemed just... mediocre at best. I also just completed my first run through Ep2, which is easily the best chapter in the series yet. I've never felt more connected with a set of video game characters than with the HL2 Crew, and never felt like such a bad-ass as after taking out all those Striders. Bravo, Valve, Bravo.

You guys truly prove that Games can be more than just Entertainment; you're creating Art.

As for Chell's identity, well, I sorta figured you wouldn't want to spill just yet; can't blame a guy for asking, hehe. Guess I'll just have to load up on Delicious Moist Cake and Companion Cubes from the Valve Store to hold me over until Portal 2 (or whatever vector you use to continue the story.) ;-)

- <My Name>, Valve Fanboy

Houn on
  • Options
    Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Okay, I'm new to G+T as i usually lurk SE++

I am preparing to get Portal or all of Orange Box from steam, but I want to make sure it is compatible with my vid card, as the one i have seems to have a penchant for not working with various games.
    It's an inteol 82852 GM/GME controller (Tablet vid card) and i know it has some problems with HL2 itself, which involves going to desktop at level changes.
    Can I assume they all will have the same annoying but dealable problem?

Firematic. on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So is anybody else having trouble with the "Fall xxxx" feet achievement, and the "Jump xxx" feet one?

Any hints, tricks, or locations that help?

Icemopper on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    1. High ceiling
    2. Infinite loop
    3. Read a book

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm with Bay on this one. You guys are insane.

Just because Valve releases a video game does not mean there is some sinister back story and hidden plot revolving around every aspect of the game.

Maybe it's just a game where you make portals to do shit.

That sounds way more fun.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Firematic. wrote: »
    Okay, I'm new to G+T as i usually lurk SE++

I am preparing to get Portal or all of Orange Box from steam, but I want to make sure it is compatible with my vid card, as the one i have seems to have a penchant for not working with various games.
    It's an inteol 82852 GM/GME controller (Tablet vid card) and i know it has some problems with HL2 itself, which involves going to desktop at level changes.
    Can I assume they all will have the same annoying but dealable problem?

Try going here to get your system rated.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »

Just because Valve releases a video game does not mean there is some sinister back story and hidden plot revolving around every aspect of the game.

The only backstory I want is the guy with the phone.

They, or someone, needs to make a game called "Red Shift" that's about
    Sitting at a desk, and trying to click the phone the second GLaDOS displays omnipotent sentience and/or evil.

It should have a bunch of false cues, and if you click too soon you get a pay decrease.

Maybe I could just make a text adventure of it...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

This is Valve we're talking about here, right?

yes there is

Puny Human on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I just want to bring up, again, that GLaDOS is supposed to be an Ice Inhibitor.

You know, like keeping machinery (i.e. boat engines) functioning in low-temperature environments (like the arctic)

just throwing that out there

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I kinda took "ice" in that context to be internet security. But who know. I don't knows why you need a biological supercomputer to defrost shit.

Does anyone have copies of those slides?

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Still my favorite joke of the game:

"Black Mesa's FSII:
    -Inhibits ice, nothing more
    -Cheap

Aperture Science FSII:
    -Fully functional Disk Operating System
    -Arguably alive"

Aperture Science is just so delightful.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »

You know, like keeping machinery (i.e. boat engines) functioning in low-temperature environments (like the arctic)

GlaDOS is referenced on a blueprint of the Borealis, there's a pic earlier on in this thread.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The only backstory I want is the guy with the phone.

They, or someone, needs to make a game called "Red Shift" that's about
    Sitting at a desk, and trying to click the phone the second GLaDOS displays omnipotent sentience and/or evil.

It should have a bunch of false cues, and if you click too soon you get a pay decrease.

Maybe I could just make a text adventure of it...

:^:

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Hmm, so.. chances of there being an AI on the Borealis as well as some portal technology are high then. I betcha gman is the AI...

Just say'n.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Hmm, so.. chances of there being an AI on the Borealis as well as some portal technology are high then. I betcha gman is the AI...

Just say'n.

What? No.

I think it's well hinted by now that Gman is some sort of employee or agent of a force competitive to the combine. He also doesn't have any characteristics of GLaDOS. His voice is alien, not robotic.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If glados was
    an AI specifically constructed for scientific discoveries, what else may there be hidden in its memories? :o

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If glados was
    an AI specifically constructed for scientific discoveries, what else may there be hidden in its memories? :o

Event Horizon 2: The Horizoning.

Uwe Boll and Michael Bay to co-direct.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Starring: Dolph Lundgren, Steven Seagal and Michael Dudikoff

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait.. there is a heartfelt story about the companion cube we are missing too... that could be on lifetime.

meredith baxter burney as Chell
    Judith Light as the voice of the companion cube.

And glados is now a man. A bad bad man that does bad things until they get their 'lifetime channel Comuppance'

I am ordering a portal t-shirt as we speak.. I want a headcrab too!

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    MKingeryMKingery Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »

I am ordering a portal t-shirt as we speak.. I want a headcrab too!

im not gonna lie, im a huge fan of nerd shirts that aren't outwardly apparent, this one doesn't disappoint - and after reading your sig, my blue sun shirt filters the wheat from the chaff when it comes to human beings in general

MKingery on
    Assume the party escort submission position
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    BLUE SUN SHIRTS! Yes. i see the stickers everywhere, but I never got around to getting a t-shirt.

Whats the best source ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    BLUE SUN SHIRTS! Yes. i see the stickers everywhere, but I never got around to getting a t-shirt.

Whats the best source ?

i sold my eternal soul to the damned cafe press, but that was a half a year ago or so...

its not a bad shirt, i just hate cafe press

MKingery on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thats the only place i saw them, and I was trying to avoid it...

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Whats the best source ?
    I got one from my girlfriend, she stenciled it herself!

Actually, it's not that hard to cut out a stencil from somewhere online and just do it yourself with fabric paint.

Not that I could do it, but she seemed to have no trouble.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Whats the best source ?
    I got one from my girlfriend, she stenciled it herself!

thats a keeper

MKingery on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You know.. my brother has some sort of job involving printing t-shirts.. and he is an artist.. i should get a stencil done and make a few.

Now I just need a sufficiently large graphic.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    guys,guys,guys,guys. chell confirmed for episode 4.
    makes sense to me.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's funny because of the spoiler.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aperture Science makes me think of the movie Brazil.

I think it might be kind of interesting to work for a company like them, but most of all it would be terrifying because you would half expect a horrible death or possible experiment on you every day you went to work.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It makes me sad that the cake icon on the warning list is always off :(

anyone else notice this?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Crashmo wrote:
    Aperture Science makes me think of the movie Brazil.

I think it might be kind of interesting to work for a company like them, but most of all it would be terrifying because you would half expect a horrible death or possible experiment on you every day you went to work.

Really? *Queues up Brazil on Netflix*

It makes me sad that the cake icon on the warning list is always off :(

anyone else notice this?

It's on in Test Chamber 19.

Houn on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    august wrote: »
    I kinda took "ice" in that context to be internet security. But who know. I don't knows why you need a biological supercomputer to defrost shit.

Does anyone have copies of those slides?

I also want the slides.
    But if you notice from the website history of the company, they have a comical tenacity when it comes to competing for bids.

On Brazil: perhaps my favorite movie. For the above poster netflixing, make sure you get one that has the full film. There were like 5 different cuts depending on where and when the movie was released.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, if you check the Choose Your Own Adventure thread, I've begun Red Shift. You get to spend a day in the life of the last line of defense at Aperture Science!

durandal4532 on
This discussion has been closed.