As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm confused. How did the guy who did the post on the TXB forums get it so wrong?

devoir on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    No wait, I forgot, any character who's ever had a chip on their shoulder can't possibly have a good reason. Even if they're an endangered species that can no longer successfully reproduce, they are whiny bitches because they don't have a positive outlook on the inevitable doom of their entire race.

I agree about this.

If I felt responsible for my race in the way that Wrex apparently does, I would not stop at anything to give them another chance. If there is no reproduction, there is no hope of rehabilitation. That's not excusing what the Krogan did or what they may do, but Wrex is at least some kind of proof that they aren't homocidal maniacs who cannot stop themselves from trying to take over the galaxy.

One thing I'm suspecting though...
    Saren could just be stringing them along. The hope of it alone is probably enough to motivate them alone without any tangible proof.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So is it a bannable offense to call Wrex a whiny bitch?

Let's see your badass species get wiped out of the galaxy by a physically inferior race tha uses genetic weapons to force your species to the brink of extinction, just because you're too badass. Then you can complain about Wrex looking for the salvation of his species' previously inevitable extinction during your petty mission to stop a crazed alien.

Now, I haven't really seen that many videos, but this is the only time I've seen Wrex have a chance at saving his species, and thus breaking off his companion badassery for a chance at saving his dying people. It's like if you're the last human male alive and you find a human female, and everyone wants to kill her because she could be used for evil.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
    edited November 2007
    I saw all of this coming, I don't see why some people are disillusioned by Wrex all of a sudden. The way I decided to play my character was finalized way back when we saw the first snippet of this video--I'm going to be a dick to almost everybody but do everything in my power not to alienate and lose Wrex or ashley.

Alucard6986 on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No wait, I forgot, any character who's ever had a chip on their shoulder can't possibly have a good reason. Even if they're an endangered species that can no longer successfully reproduce, they are whiny bitches because they don't have a positive outlook on the inevitable doom of their entire race.

suck it up you whiny little bitch.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wrex is the new Carth.

The Krogan decided to start killing other races to make room for themselves and the council did something about it. Wrex himself knows that, being he was sold out by his own people and he's seen that they would rather be violent than uphold any sort of real values. So he needs to pony up and stop groaning about the way things are.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited November 2007
    Haha, someone get a mod in here.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007
    Yes, because all contradictory opinions must be silenced.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wrex is the new Carth.

The Krogan decided to start killing other races to make room for themselves and the council did something about it. Wrex himself knows that, being he was sold out by his own people and he's seen that they would rather be violent than uphold any sort of real values. So he needs to pony up and stop groaning about the way things are.

I want to watch a Krogan tear you apart. Is that wrong?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited November 2007

What are you, some kind of holocaust denier?

Alucard6986 on
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "groaning" makes it sound like he is 2-starring something on amazon.com

and not, you know, pulling a gun on Shepard without hesitation when faced with an answer he doesn't like

Scudo on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Scudo wrote: »
    "groaning" makes it sound like he is 2-starring something on amazon.com

and not, you know, pulling a gun on Shepard without hesitation when faced with an answer he doesn't like
    It's not just "some answer he doesn't like", it's a death sentence for his entire race.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    exactly!

some people are acting like he's complaining about the number of cupholders on the Normandy

and by some people I mean that one guy

Scudo on
    edited November 2007
    All I'm saying is that the "for my people" guy gets boring. Especially when "his people" were busy wiping out innocent races before they got shut down. To refer to another KOTOR character, you never heard Canderous pitching a hissy over what happened to the Mandalorians. He told some awesome war stories and then went out and kicked ass.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I see. It doesn't matter if the way a person reacts to their situation makes sense, it just has to "kick ass."

Yeah, that makes for a very strong and complex character.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007
    All I'm saying is that the "for my people" guy gets boring. Especially when "his people" were busy wiping out innocent races before they got shut down. To refer to another KOTOR character, you never heard Canderous pitching a hissy over what happened to the Mandalorians. He told some awesome war stories and then went out and kicked ass.

Mandalorions also weren't less than a generation away from being extinct with the instant hope of revival. They had just been defeated in war, which is what they wanted; an opponent worth fighting.

There are so many ways I could Godwin this debate but I'm not going to.

devoir on
    edited November 2007

Mandalorions also weren't less than a generation away from being extinct with the instant hope of revival. They had just been defeated in war, which is what they wanted; an opponent worth fighting.

There are so many ways I could Godwin this debate but I'm not going to.

What are you, some kind of holocaust denier?

oops :lol:

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007
    And besides, they only went crazy because they were just uncultured, unlike Wrex, who the the baddest ass ever.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    And besides, they only went crazy because they were just uncultured, unlike Wrex, who the the baddest ass ever.

They weren't uncultured they just needed to get more territory in order to support the huge strain that population boom was causing.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited November 2007
    Maybe Wrex is just a dawg, and he's run out of new female Krogan to put into his little black book.

Thus why he's desperate to get more Krogan spawning.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

They weren't uncultured they just needed to get more territory in order to support the huge strain that population boom was causing.
    Also they just ran around attacking planets. That's the main bad thing.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    The real point here is that genocide isn't the solution to genocide.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007
    The real point here is that genocide isn't the solution to genocide.

Fight Fire with Fire!

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    Man if what I hear is correct, I don't like one Turian.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

All of the Council races were in on it. The salarians developed the genophage, all three Council races approved its use, and the turians put it into action.

There's no one that's really not at fault out of the Council.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But you know, what other options were available? An eternal war? With the Krogans breeding as fast as everyone else can kill them?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you're given the option to destroy it, wouldn't that imply you have the power to do so and thus could have it in your possession? So saving it would still prevent Saren from using it and gaining favor with the Krogans, and in the end the only reason for worry from the other races is the Krogans gaining power. But if you have the cure and present it, wouldn't that do a lot to bring them to your side to help fight against Saren? Hmm, I don't know. I'm thinking I may save the cure instead of destroying it, so long as saving it doesn't mean Saren still gets to use it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I know next to nothing about this game, except I'm buying it. Out of interest, how close does it sit to KOTOR, Jade Empire and the rest of it's kin?

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

All of the Council races were in on it. The salarians developed the genophage, all three Council races approved its use, and the turians put it into action.

I still don't like one Turian.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    If you're given the option to destroy it, wouldn't that imply you have the power to do so and thus could have it in your possession? So saving it would still prevent Saren from using it and gaining favor with the Krogans, and in the end the only reason for worry from the other races is the Krogans gaining power. But if you have the cure and present it, wouldn't that do a lot to bring them to your side to help fight against Saren? Hmm, I don't know. I'm thinking I may save the cure instead of destroying it, so long as saving it doesn't mean Saren still gets to use it.

This.

If you have the cure, then the Krogan would be indebted to you.

Unless there is a completely arbitrary "If it exists, Saren will still abuse it somehow!" thing, I'd be using it to barter my way into favour with the Korgan hierachy, and possibly turning them into a force for good kickass-ness rather than scattered meekness that they are now.

devoir on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

The salarians are especially at fault though, aren't they? I mean, wasn't it the salarians who were responsible for the Krogan population boom in the first place?

Taramoor on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

This.

If you have the cure, then the Krogan would be indebted to you.

Unless there is a completely arbitrary "If it exists, Saren will still abuse it somehow!" thing, I'd be using it to barter my way into favour with the Korgan hierachy, and possibly turning them into a force for good kickass-ness rather than scattered meekness that they are now.

The problem with it is this: If you can cure the genophage, that's a very nice thing and you save a species from extinction, but it was still used for a reason.

Once the Krogans were taken out of the extremely hostile environment of their homeworld, their birthrates were the same as they were when many, many Krogan children didn't survive and you saw a boom in their numbers. They weren't fighting with the Council races simply because they're violent, though they do have a violent warrior culture, they were fighting because most of their children were surviving and their numbers were growing so large they had nowhere to go.

While it's sad that their species is on the verge of extinction, allowing them to breed like they did before could rekindle a war that the Council can't possibly win without resorting to the same solution once the Krogans reach numbers large enough that they're running out of space once again. The Krogans simply breed too quickly to be kept in check.

You'd save their species, but it might cost many, many lives in the future.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, I've got a solution we can all agree on, then:

Krogan brand Kondoms.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Get someone to invent a krogan birth pill, end of war.

Mei Hikari on
    edited November 2007
    Okay, but I can't see why you can't rewrite a new genophage that isn't going to wipe out their species. And you can't do that without removing the threat of the current genophage.

As I said, there was obviously plenty of reason for it in the first place, but now that the problem is manageable, I would take the stance that you have the luxury of being able to try and fix the mistakes of the past. I think Wrex would prefer to have some future for his race rather than extinction in half a generation.

devoir on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, you're assuming the rest of the species on the council have a human-like sense of morality.

Mei Hikari on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't want to stop playing my other 360 games

whyyyy, WHYYYYYY DO YOU BECKON ME MASS EFFECT

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, but I can't see why you can't rewrite a new genophage that isn't going to wipe out their species. And you can't do that without removing the threat of the current genophage.

That might not be an option. Their genetics may dictate that either you mostly stop them from breeding, or you don't.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I didn't want to watch the Youtube, but I did anyways. Oh, two more weeks!!! At least Mario Galaxy comes out next week.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
    edited November 2007

That might not be an option. Their genetics may dictate that either you mostly stop them from breeding, or you don't.

That seems ridiculous. :P

I reckon the threat of simply wiping them out/doing another genophage-type assault if they don't get their breeding under control should be enough. They've seen what happens when the rest of the galaxy gangs up on them, they should get themselves sorted.

devoir on
This discussion has been closed.