Options

Religion

h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So...

I was born and raised in a Latter Day Saint (better known as Mormon) family. I was baptized when I was eight, I received the Aaronic priesthood when I was twelve, I passed sacrament until I was sixteen when I became a priest then I blessed sacrament; when I turned eighteen I received the Melchizedic priesthood. Then I joined the army.

Around that age in life all of my other siblings had gone on missions for our church. My brother went to Taiwan and learned Mandarin Chinese, all of my sisters went state side and learned Spanish.

My family has always wanted me to go on a mission, and until recently I didn't think it would be possible for me to do it (nor was I really sure I wanted too - and I'm still not) what with military commitments; however I can. I've kind of had a tough time deciding if a mission is really for me to do. I don't like to press my religion, and if told that someone doesn't want to talk about it I'll just leave it alone; I'm also not the best representative of my own particular religion - I' most certainly not a Utah Mormon. But even though I've had doubts about it I still filled out the paperwork and sent it in, figuring it would be a good experience for my spiritual and otherwise.

I've been called to serve a mission in Frankfurt Germany for two years. I head out on the 31st of this month.

I've never had any real experience with religions outside of my church, I don't know much about what others believe or why they believe it, so I figure it might be some fun to get a polite discussion about what religions are all about, and how they have had effects in the lives of the people here (good or bad); what their societal impacts are, and the histories involved in them.

So, what think ye of religion D&D?

Edit:

My religious beliefs are boiled down into what our church calls "The Articles of Faith."

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
h3ndu on

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why do you wear sacred pants?
    Why did your church not accept black people until 1970?
    Why do you have secret names you only tell each other when you get married?
    Why is Mormonism so secretive but yet so open and friendly?
    You Mormons are so darn nice, it is hard to dislike you guys, even if you have.... motives.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Those are part of something called an endowment. They are supposed to protect us (Edit: from both temptation to sin and physical harm.), and are a physical reminder of our covenants made at the temple. I'm not sure how much more I can get into that.

Edit: and it's a shirt and shorts, not just shorts.

They could join they just couldn't hold the priesthood. I don't like that this was how it was, but the following link explains it.

Official declaration two from Pres. Spencer W. Kimball

Can't really discuss that (lack of knowledge). I'll try and find an answer for you.

I'm pretty sure it goes to the whole - some people aren't ready to hear some things until properly prepared - deal.
    You Mormons are so darn nice, it is hard to dislike you guys, even if you have.... motives.

Thanks.

You have a religion you'd like to share?

h3ndu on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Polite discussion, not passive aggressive questions.
    ...though I am sort of interested about the pants.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Polite discussion, not passive aggressive questions.
    ...though I am sort of interested about the pants.
    No these were questions I genuinely was curious about.
    Most Mormons laugh and swiftly divert the question.
    I'm interested in Buddhism but I can't decide what kind of path I want to follow.
    Vehicle, path, whatever.
    The three main ones are:
    Mahayana-Newer
    Theraveda-Elder
    Vajrayana- Tibetan

• Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    h3ndu wrote: »
    So...

I was born and raised in a Latter Day Saint (better known as Mormon) family. I was baptized when I was eight, I received the Aaronic priesthood when I was twelve, I passed sacrament until I was sixteen when I became a priest then I blessed sacrament; when I turned eighteen I received the Melchizedic priesthood. Then I joined the army.

Around that age in life all of my other siblings had gone on missions for our church. My brother went to Taiwan and learned Mandarin Chinese, all of my sisters went state side and learned Spanish.

My family has always wanted me to go on a mission, and until recently I didn't think it would be possible for me to do it (nor was I really sure I wanted too - and I'm still not) what with military commitments; however I can. I've kind of had a tough time deciding if a mission is really for me to do. I don't like to press my religion, and if told that someone doesn't want to talk about it I'll just leave it alone; I'm also not the best representative of my own particular religion - I' most certainly not a Utah Mormon. But even though I've had doubts about it I still filled out the paperwork and sent it in, figuring it would be a good experience for my spiritual and otherwise.

I've been called to serve a mission in Frankfurt Germany for two years. I head out on the 31st of this month.

I've never had any real experience with religions outside of my church, I don't know much about what others believe or why they believe it, so I figure it might be some fun to get a polite discussion about what religions are all about, and how they have had effects in the lives of the people here (good or bad); what their societal impacts are, and the histories involved in them.

So, what think ye of religion D&D?

Edit:

My religious beliefs are boiled down into what our church calls "The Articles of Faith."

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Why were many parts of the Christian bible edited to fit with your religion? How does the church reason theses changes? This is not meant to be insulting...just purely out of curiosity.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Katholic wrote: »
    So...

*snip*

Why were many parts of the Christian bible edited to fit with your religion? How does the church reason theses changes? This is not meant to be insulting...just purely out of curiosity.

We're under the belief that the gospel was changes slightly - not all of it but some small parts - through the years. It went through a fair amount of hands and was printed and re-printed for hundreds of years.

Many people bring up the fact that if god were so powerful, why didn't he just make sure it wasn't changed, and that the fullness of the gospel continued on.

It's our belief that he did, he just had Joseph Smith change it back.

And it's seriously only a few small things here and there - a few words - which are found at the back of what we call a quad (Bible [we use the King James version] - Book of Mormon - Pearl of Great Price - Doctrine and Covenants).

Edit:

So what does of each of those paths entail and eventually lead to?

Mahayana-Newer
    Theraveda-Elder
    Vajrayana- Tibetan
    ?

h3ndu on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    So, a part of Mormonism is that whole Jesus coming to American and punishing a tribe of natives by turning their skin red, right? Why would any reasonable human being believe that?

I just don't understand how Mormonism still exists when the very start of its existence is so ridiculous, no matter how much they try to reform themselves.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just don't understand how Mormonism still exists when the very start of its existence is so ridiculous, no matter how much they try to reform themselves.

You act as if you've never heard of Scientology.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So...

*snip*

We're under the belief that the gospel was changes slightly - not all of it but some small parts - through the years. It went through a fair amount of hands and was printed and re-printed for hundreds of years.

Many people bring up the fact that if god were so powerful, why didn't he just make sure it wasn't changed, and that the fullness of the gospel continued on.

And it's seriously only a few small things here and there - a few words - which are found at the back of what we call a quad (Bible [we use the King James version] - Book of Mormon - Pearl of Great Price - Doctrine and Covenants).

Edit:

Mahayana-Newer
    Theraveda-Elder
    Vajrayana- Tibetan
    ?

Well those words make a large difference, such as the part in the Catholic bible that states that Jesus is the last prophet(messiah), which I believe was changed in the Mormon version to allow Smith to be a prophet.

Did you see the south park episode....very funny btw.

Katholic on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a simple question for you:

Why on earth do you believe in your religion?

It seems like if you're going to be abroad convincing people that they should believe in your religion, you ought to have sound logical reasons for believing in it yourself. As far as I can tell, most people believe in their religions because their parents did, and that was how they were raised. And other reasons tend to be incredibly flimsy and based on lies.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So...

*snip*

Edit:

Mahayana-Newer
    Theraveda-Elder
    Vajrayana- Tibetan
    ?

Well those words make a large difference, such as the part in the Catholic bible that states that Jesus is the last prophet(messiah), which I believe was changed in the Mormon version to allow Smith to be a prophet.

Did you see the south park episode....very funny btw.

"The correct answer was Mormon, yes Mormons..."

That one or the one with the Mormon family? Both were pretty funny.

Tray Parker and the other guy (Matt Stone?) are actually excommunicated Mormons FYI.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

You act as if you've never heard of Scientology.

Scientology doesn't have 14 million followers.

It's interesting that you say that, though. I've known Mormons that, much like scientologists, haven't been "revealed" the entirety of the religion because of some stupid stratification system.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, a part of Mormonism is that whole Jesus coming to American and punishing a tribe of natives by turning their skin red, right? Why would any reasonable human being believe that?

I don't know, is the claim any more ridiculous than what every other Christian believes? Nothing in my life has led me to believe that resurrection, zombies, and other varieties of magic are any more realistic, yet nobody seems to balk when someone says they are a Christian. I don't think Mormonism is that much different really, besides the amount of time it has existed and the exposure it has received.

Navoc on
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Good luck on your mission.

Kolosus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Qingu wrote: »

It seems like if you're going to be abroad convincing people that they should believe in your religion, you ought to have sound logical reasons for believing in it yourself. As far as I can tell, most people believe in their religions because their parents did, and that was how they were raised. And other reasons tend to be incredibly flimsy and based on lies.

As a member of the Catholic faith I can only speak for my religion. We believe that we should not got out evangelizing, but instead serve your fellow man to show him the light of Christ. We obviously are willing to answer questions but most of the time we try to let people come to us. Also, we are taught to never hate a group even if they go strongly against the bible.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    h3ndu wrote:

Tray Parker and the other guy (Matt Stone?) are actually excommunicated Mormons FYI.

I call bullshit. Matt Stone is Jewish. Unless you're talking about excommunication because of the Mormon episode.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Spiritual experience. It seems like a lot of hooa and crazy tom foolery to most people, but I'll be damned if I'm going to turn my back on it after I've felt the Holy Ghost in action.

And I honestly do have a lot of questions about my own church - not letting Black people have the priesthood until 1970 is one of those things that I question quite a bit, but I've honestly felt a feeling that I cannot explain fully in words that has moved me to such a point where I fully and honestly think my church is the right and true one, even if I can't explain all of its (Many) oddities.

maybe it's something in the sacrament water...
    h3ndu wrote:

I call bullshit. Matt Stone is Jewish. Unless you're talking about excommunication because of the Mormon episode.

It very likely is - It's just something I heard and took at face value.

Edit - Thanks Kolosus.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So...

*snip*

Edit:

Mahayana-Newer
    Theraveda-Elder
    Vajrayana- Tibetan
    ?
    Different ways to reach enlightenment.
    I have trouble accepting any of them fully, so I'm kind of stuck right now.
    ----Warning: It is incredibly hard to make generalizations about Buddhism, so these can not be taken as total fact

Mahayana believe that Buddha is a god, or a demi-god, it is kind of like a Christian Buddhism in a way. Anyone can reach enlightenment, even lay-men.

Theraveda believe in the monastery and that only monks who relinquish all possessions and eliminate desire can become enlightened.

Vajrayana believe that anyone can be enlightened and that those that become enlightened must become Bodhisattavas (Jesuses) and come back to help other people reach enlightenment like Buddha did after waking up from the time he spent in glorious enlightenment. This is also called Tibetan Buddhism. Tantric Buddhism is separate from this, but related slightly. His Holiness The Dalai Lama, yes that is his name, is the leader of the Tibetan Buddhists.

See, I just typed all this, and it is very interesting, and the 8 fold path is pretty neat morally, but the demons and the mythical stuff I can't accept yet.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Navoc wrote: »

I don't know, is the claim any more ridiculous than what every other Christian believes? Nothing in my life has led me to believe that resurrection, zombies, and other varieties of magic are any more realistic, yet nobody seems to balk when someone says they are a Christian. I don't think Mormonism is that much different really, besides the amount of time it has existed and the exposure it has received.

Many Christians don't take the bible (old testament) literally, but as parables to live a "Christian" life by.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Spiritual experience. It seems like a lot of hooa and crazy tom foolery to most people, but I'll be damned if I'm going to turn my back on it after I've felt the Holy Ghost in action.

And I honestly do have a lot of questions about my own church - not letting Black people have the priesthood until 1970 is one of those things that I question quite a bit, but I've honestly felt a feeling that I cannot explain fully in words that has moved me to such a point where I fully and honestly think my church is the right and true one, even if I can't explain all of its (Many) oddities.

maybe it's something in the sacrament water...
    Most Mormons say they feel the testament burning in their bosom or heart.
    I like your answers better :D
    There is nothing wrong with questioning your religion of choice.
    It can even lead to more understanding.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes. Other Christian beliefs are generally old enough so that we don't have accurate records proving that the claims of the religion are completely BS. We know much more about the beginning of Mormonism.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Navoc wrote: »

It's not, but the Mormon claims are more readily falsifiable because of its infancy in comparison to the rest of Christianity.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

You could say the same thing about the New Testament (or the Qur'an for that matter) editing parts of the Old Testament. Actually, I think you'd have a hard time finding a religion that didn't base itself off of an previous one. It's easier to get people to accept it that way (it's why Christmas is celebrated in December).

And also I'd like to add that I admire this:
    h3ndu wrote:
    I don't like to press my religion, and if told that someone doesn't want to talk about it I'll just leave it alone

If I ever sat down and tried to rank my favorite personality traits, that would totally make top five.

I have absolutely no problem with anything that anyone believes (as long as it doesn't hurt others), and in fact I'm usually quite interested to try and learn more about it and understand it, but I can't stand anyone who tries to convert me to anything.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So is the 'eight fold path' the laws to follow in order to reach enlightenment for the Vajrayana - or is it something else entirely?

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So is the 'eight fold path' the laws to follow in order to reach enlightenment for the Vajrayana - or is it something else entirely?
    There are the four noble truths and the eight fold path.
    If you understand the four noble truths and follow the eight fold path, you can reach enlightenment theoretically.
    Keep in mind that for most Buddhists, enlightenment is not heaven, but freedom from the cyclic pattern of existence, life and death, rebirth and redeath.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    If you understand the four noble truths and follow the eight fold path, you can reach enlightenment theoretically.
    Keep in mind that for most Buddhists, enlightenment is not heaven, but freedom from the cyclic pattern of existence, life and death, rebirth and redeath.

Please elaborate further.

So it's like a divine break from existence?

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh, religion sharing?
    I'm Jewish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism
    (You should check out Wikipedia. If you really want to know things, its the best way to get the most information in the least amount of time)
    Specifically reform Judaism.
    Judaism's primary book, and the primary source for the religion, is the torah. It is identical to the old testament in christianity, though Judaism does not accept the Christian new testament or the divinity of Jesus.
    A brief history of Judaism
    Judaism was started in Palestine in approximately 4000 BC by a man named Abraham, who was told to leave Ur for the "land of milk and honey" known as Canaan by god. Today Canaan encompasses the borders of modern day Palestine.
    During a famine the Jews followed Joseph, a great-grandson of Abraham, to Egypt, where they coexisted peacefully with the pharoah. On the succession of Ramses II the Egyptians decided to enslave the Jews and began a policy of killing the male jewish population in order to wipe out Jewish heritage (because when you get down to it, Judaism is pretty damn chauvinist)
    Anyway a boy named Moses was floated away on a reed raft to Pharoah's palace, where he was found by someone
    hey, you think I can remember all of this story? Give me a break!
    And was raised in Pharoah's palace. Moses would eventually lead the Jews out of Egypt by breaking the Pharoah's will to keep the Jews with 10 plagues.
    Moses and the Jews went around in the desert for 40 years. During this time Moses received and wrote down the entire torah to that period of time (supposedly) including the 10 commandments. These are
    1: I am the lord thy god.
    2: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    3: Thou shalt not make wrongful use of my name.
    4: Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
    5: Honor thy father and thy mother
    6: Thou shalt not murder.
    7: Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    8: Thou shalt not steal
    9: Thou shalt not bear false witness
    10: Thou shalt not covet
    (The story of Moses is the grounding of the Jewish holiday of Passover)
    The Jews eventually return to Canaan and, under the generalship of Yehoshua (Joshua), retake control of Canaan, and things were swell. They also built a pretty sweet temple.
    The Jews were removed from their land in 722 BC by the Assyrians, during which time 10 of the 12 tribes of Judaism were lost, leaving the tribes of Israel and Levi. The Jews returned when the more benevolent Persians, under Cyrus, conquered the Assyrians and allowed the Jews to return, which they did, building another sweet temple.
    After the invasions of Alexander Israel came under control of one of Alexander's general, Antiochus. This went on fine until Antiochus IV decided to destroy Judaism. The greeks were beaten out of Palestine under the generalship of the Maccabee family.
    (The Story of the Maccabee's is the grounding for the Jewish Holiday of Hannukah)
    The Jews once again lived independantly for 200 years until the coming of the Romans. Under Roman rule, a man named Jesus was born, you might have heard of him.
    In 66-70 AD an Israeli revolt was crushed, ending in the destruction of Jerusalem and the second temple, with the exception of the western wall, which is now the most holy site in Judaism. The Romans spread out the Jews throughout their entire empire, resulting in Europe and North Africa having a large Jewish population after the fall of the Roman empire.
    The Jewish population of Europe did not fare so well during the middle ages, although Judaism did stay strong because groups tend to unify if they are being persecuted. Jews were falsely accused of killing Jesus (we didn't, really, the bible even says that the Romans did it!) and were essentially massacred whenever something went wrong, including military defeat, famine, or the black death. Life for Jews in North Africa, in contrast, was downright peachy, mostly because the muslim rulers were tolerant as long as the other religious groups did not proselytize (which Judaism doesn't do anyway) and paid a tax in exchange for exemption from military service. The Jewish population of Spain had a golden age from 900-1492 AD, ending in the Spanish Inquisition and the expulsion of Jews from Spain.
    In modern times Judaism has fared well due to the religious toleration that is present in western society. The most pleasant recent event is the zionist movement, which ended in the creation of the State of Israel in 1948. The least pleasant was the Holocaust, Adolf Hitler's murder of 11 million "undesirables" in his German empire during WWII, among whom were 6 million Jews. This shows that anti-semitism, while not permissible in a popular public forum, is not dead.
    Yeah, its sort of a long story.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsed_Catholic

I'll hella go back if a near-death experience results in me seeing Him.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My religious beliefs are mostly a lingering respect for the Jesuits that educated my father, and a complete lack of religious belief.

I just went to church, thought it was pretty, and was not moved by any sort of religiosity. It's done nothing to dampen my enthusiasm and wonderment at the state of the universe, or my love for my fellow persons.

It's not reactionary, it's not me being arrogant and telling you you're dumb, it's not me being unconcerned with morality or the "big questions", it's just that it at no point seemed plausible in any way to believe what any religion I have seen so far believed.

It irks me a bit to see atheism thrown about at times as though it's either a coat of paint on nihilism, or the polar-opposite and equal of crazy fundamentalism. Some people just never find answers in a religious framework.

Though I doubt people really have any questions about atheism beyond "don't you mean agnosticism?"

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Please elaborate further.

So it's like a divine break from existence?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_noble_truths
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_fold_path
    TL;DR
    The world is full of suffering, which is the basis of life.
    This is the example the Dalai Lama gave in his book.
    Think of your favorite food. It is pleasurable in small quantities, but overeat and you suffer.
    This shows that its true form was suffering.
    Nihilists take this to mean that nothing matters and they can do whatever they want.
    Which is stupid.
    It's a spin off of the Hindu Maya, which says that the world is an Illusion.
    Buddha was a rebel and split off from the Hindu 'church' and allowed anyone to become a monk, even untouchables. He is also named Sidhartha Guatama and Sakyamuni, or the silent sage.

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

Hahaha.

By the way Charlton Heston made a kick ass Moses.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I was born and raised in a Latter Day Saint (better known as Mormon) family.

I hate Mormons for one simple reason:

Joseph Smith said that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.

And when a person makes that asinine claim, and people don't write off everything else he said due to his incomprehensible lunacy, I can't help but hate those people. Because to claim that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri goes beyond any notion of a "leap of faith" or some sort of "belief". You've just fucking stopped paying attention and you are doing naught but saying unfounded shit for no good reason at all.

So, h3ndu, where do you stand of this claim? Was the Garden of Eden in Missouri?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

You know, I am sort of a lapsed jew.
    The thing is though, if your mother is Jewish, then you're considered Jewish, even if you don't really do anything. Its quite convienient.
    And really, when it comes down to it we're talking about a guy who started a religion who claimed to have angels walking around in his house, but only if nobody is visiting. Anyone who said the same today would be considered a nutbar.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

And when a person makes that asinine claim, and people don't write off everything else he said due to his incomprehensible lunacy, I can't help but hate those people. Because to claim that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri goes beyond any notion of a "leap of faith" or some sort of "belief". You've just fucking stopped paying attention and you are doing naught but saying unfounded shit for no good reason at all.

So, h3ndu, where do you stand of this claim? Was the Garden of Eden in Missouri?

Yes.

Edit: There is some serious deep doctrine behind this, which I'm sure most of you might think is bullshit - and sadly I can't say anything more than yes because I'm not familiar with all of it. But I'll do some research and try to explain it once I do.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yes.

I'll regret asking this, but...

1) Do you desire to prove this?
    2) Could you prove this?
    3) If you could prove it, how would you prove it?
    4) Do you know why you think this?
    5) Would you explain why you think this?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Why can't the Garden of Eden be in Missouri? It makes sense, the entire world was supposedly cleaned out in the flood, so why couldn't Noah have gotten to the Middle East? How would we know the location of the Garden of Eden in Missouri today? Why would god have kept it around?
    Quite frankly, the Judeo-Christian tradition requires such a large suspension of disbelief that saying the Garden of Eden was in Missouri isn't that much of a stretch.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was going to ask questions about a movie John Voight is starring in about early Mormons but imdb.com doesn't seem to have it listed. I thought I saw the trailer before the movie 'Once' with John Voight swearing something by Jehovah but ... did I imagine it?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Yes.

I'll regret asking this, but...

1) Do you desire to prove this?
    2) Could you prove this?
    3) If you could prove it, how would you prove it?
    4) Do you know why you think this?
    5) Would you explain why you think this?

As I said before I'm going to do some research - but right now I fall back on having faith in my prophet and his teachings.

Simple as it gets.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man Wikipedia really makes us (Latter day Saints) out to be frauds.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man Wikipedia really makes us (Latter day Saints) out to be frauds.

You are.

Not "you" specifically, but "you" the Latter day Saints group are. Inasmuch as your "prophet" translated the super-secret golden tablets he found in a hill by shoving them into a hat with some rocks and read aloud the translation to an idiot, then lost that translation, so retranslated it allowing for minor differences because when people make crap up they occasionally change the story slightly. Then claimed that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri, and Jesus lived in the United States, and on, and on, and on, all for the sake of promoting polygamy, which was then shunned and removed from the religion when it was found that while people can believe that a man found a golden tablet in a hill and translated it by putting it onto a hat with some rocks, it just wasn't sensible for men to maintain marriages with multiple women.

_J_ on
This discussion has been closed.