As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forums loading slowly?

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
I've been getting intermittent problems trying to load pages on the forum for a few days now, maybe a week or two, can't remember when it started exactly.

Sometimes when I try to load a page and it just sits for a while, feels like a minute or two although I haven't remembered to time it, then loads and works normally again for a while. The front page isn't affected, and I think the forum index works too. But if I try to go from the forum index into a forum or thread while the problem is happening it doesn't load until the whole thing starts working again. I haven't noticed it happening more or less at any particular time of the day, but haven't payed much attention to that. This problem crops up for me multiple times per day.

It's become annoying enough that I thought I should mention it and see if it's happening to anyone else.

edit: Just happened at around 12:32-33 PM pacific time, and I clocked it at about 25-30 seconds.

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    it's been happening to me too for the past week or so... just for the record.

longest i've had to wait has been over a minute... closing the page and starting from scratch normally helps, i'd assumed it was something weird with my connection... good to hear someone else is having issues with it too.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been getting this too. The connection will stall out for a while, rarely managing to load. Sometimes I'll get a bad gateway error page.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's been happening to me too. Main page works fine. Index works fine. But I get random slowness trying to load into specific sections or threads and especially when pressing the quote or post reply buttons. It averages about 25-30 seconds to get to where I'm going.

Gear Girl on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just to pipe up that i've been having this too. I assumed it was my crappy College connection, but if other people have been having this maybe it's not?

BobCesca on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been hitting it as well. I've been assuming it's because I'm running off of a Live CD, but maybe not.

Oh man maybe we that had them should bust out our old we do not speak of it sigs just to be on the safe side?

Einhander on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    Oh man maybe we that had them should bust out our old we do not speak of it sigs just to be on the safe side?

Dude thats like saying Bloody Mary in front of a mirror. You just don't do it.

Anyway I have noticed the occasional hiccup here and there. Pages taking 15-20 seconds to load, and once or twice timing out. I've never had to hit F5 more than once since the new forums were deployed though, so I'm not worried. Compared to the problems that shall not be named of before, this is heaven.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited October 2007
    It's probably just isolated hiccups, and nothing major. But, I found this screen that I took back then that I thought I would share with you:

railsabunchcp6.jpg

May we never speak of these dark days again.

Einhander on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited October 2007
    I'm fully aware of this problem, and I also have a pretty good guess as to the probable cause. I'm working on the solution, but it is complicated and will probably take at least a couple more weeks. Hopefully we can live with it until then?

Ramius on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it's just a small annoyance.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's getting worse. I actually went to some error page a few minutes ago.

I didn't think to SS it, though.

Magus` on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No one's avatars are showing up for me D:
    It has also been slow loading at times.
    By at times i mean at all times in the past few weeks.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've had this too, and in some threads it will not even bother to load some people's posts, this only occurs during the hiccups though.

Projeck on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No one's avatars are showing up for me D:
    It has also been slow loading at times.
    By at times i mean at all times in the past few weeks.
    Go to User Panel -> Edit Options and scroll down to the thread display options section. Make sure the box for "Show Avatars" is checked. If it's not that, I dunno.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    It's getting worse. I actually went to some error page a few minutes ago.

I didn't think to SS it, though.
    504 Gateway Time-out

nginx/0.5.11

That one? I've had it occasionally. And it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Linden on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ugh it's been so slow lately

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm starting to get error 500s now. I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but I'm doing it in case it might be.

Meiz on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been getting some really long load times, and some kind of error yesterday. Wasn't a 500, but it was some kind of "access denied" error. Thought I'd been banned or something.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The post still goes through any time I get a 504 (gateway madness) error while posting. Strange. D:

MKR on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have been intermittently getting some heinous load times today, and a couple of times I've had a page only load partway.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, they seem twice as bad today as normally.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yeah load times are bad for me too (not complaining though as I can still get through).

edit: whoops I hadn't realized it was already being fixed (sorry).

Xaquin on
    edited November 2007
    Aaaand I just got a 504 Gateway Time-out while trying to load up a couple of the forums, including this one.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    I'm fully aware of this problem, and I also have a pretty good guess as to the probable cause. I'm working on the solution, but it is complicated and will probably take at least a couple more weeks. Hopefully we can live with it until then?

Thanatos on
    edited November 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »

Apparently we are impatient, ungrateful assholes who need to die.

MKR on
    edited November 2007
    I'm not posting it to complain or ask for a hurry-up, just in case others are getting the same message as me and in case it should somehow provide a useful piece of information. All effort by the powers that keep this running is much appreciated.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    o_O

Are you high?

Thanatos on
    edited November 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    o_O

Are you high?

That probably came off as me exaggerating and being an asshole. I was just acknowledging that I realized my post didn't help. :)

MKR on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MKR, smilies were invented for a reason ya know ;)

i just wanted to report that i seem to be experiencing the same random slowdowns. it's intermittent, but every couple of minutes or so the forums seem slow to load, going back to normal a little bit after. if it's any help, i'm on the east coast.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited November 2007
    To be perfectly honest, I've probably been on Ramius' ass about this more than anyone, and for probably a couple of months now, you guys just can't see it. I was just pointing out that he is, in fact, working on it, and once it's implemented (or whenever he feels like it), I'm sure he'll explain it to everyone, but it is a major undertaking.

Thanatos on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    also, MKR is a jackass.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I'm sure Ramius is cooking up a solution. Background jobs like his are chronically underappreciated.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think that the majority of us are only posting our issues to try and help, not to bitch about having to wait a whopping 20 seconds extra for a page load every once in a while.

Whenever I have a long page load, I usually stop and think about all of the productive things I should be doing instead of posting on a webforum, and then I'm about to get up and do something and oh hey new posts in the Portal thread let's go see what they are.

Einhander on
    edited November 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    also, MKR is a jackass.

:(
    :P

MKR on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I can't speak for everyone, but I think that the majority of us are only posting our issues to try and help, not to bitch about having to wait a whopping 20 seconds extra for a page load every once in a while.

Yes, this. I'm only posting because I noticed that the issue is getting worse (got some timeouts and 504s today) and I thought the feedback might be helpful.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited November 2007
    It just crashed for about 8 minutes.
    D:
    P.S. Ramius, don't feel bad.
    You will fix it some day.

edited November 2007
    My page just turned blindingly white and crashed.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I actually don't mind this too much. Sure it can be annoying from time to time, but we haven't had any other performance issues or maintenance downtime in a nice long time. Thanks Ramius.

Lucky Cynic on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Is anyone else still having problems with slowness/timeouts?

Medopine on
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Is anyone else still having problems with slowness/timeouts?

occasionally usually about once very half hour but not nearly as bad as it was earlier this month

Ohtsam on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is the forum hang up because of a database problem?

I'm just curious.

I seem to get certain hang ups at random times, forums work fine, then I click and it takes about 10-15 seconds to load a page. Then just back to normal.

Jasconius on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's getting pretty bad for me recently. Gateway timeouts, 20 second page load times, etc.

I'm sure that Ramius'll get it sorted when he can. He said something about it requiring some sort of multi-week timeline, from memory.

devoir on