Options

The Art of War: Miniature Modelling and Painting

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I say no to scarring. This guy is some kind of freak of Orky-nature, I am picturing wolverine style regeneration here.
    I IZ DA BEST DER IZ AT WOT I DO...AND WOT I DO IZ WAAAAGH!
    bigbossX.jpg

Ha. Gud'un

Ein - If you go the "Gork n' Mork" route, make sure to paint them opposite colours. Do the Ork Gods have corresponding colours?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I say no to scarring. This guy is some kind of freak of Orky-nature, I am picturing wolverine style regeneration here.
    I IZ DA BEST DER IZ AT WOT I DO...AND WOT I DO IZ WAAAAGH!
    bigbossX.jpg

Ha. Gud'un

Ein - If you go the "Gork n' Mork" route, make sure to paint them opposite colours. Do the Ork Gods have corresponding colours?

I don't... think so. Ironically, they'd probably be red and black.

I think I want to keep them the same colors, honestly. Mismatched looks fine in a WIP stage, but once I have it primed I have the feeling opinions on paint might change.

Ein on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Holy fuck beans. Forgeworld stuff has always looks so attractive to me but made my wallet cry just a little bit harder, so I haven't gotten any yet. I guess I'll just take a pass on them for now because that's redonklous.

I'm not saying don't buy anything, but just know what you're getting into. It's true that in general Forgeworld will right their wrongs, but they're also way the hell over there. The afore-mentioned hell talon originally came with two left wings, and it took my friend a couple of months to receive a replacement because he had trouble even contacting them. Most of the flaws in Forgeworld's work look systemic and not particular, so I'd be worried that even a replacement piece would be miscast or pitted or almost unusably warped.

As much as I complain I think their kits look magnificent when finished, but they're a complete bitch to get there. They also show a lot of imagination, and ultimately Forgeworld brings a whole hell of a lot to the hobby -- it's just not for beginning modelers. There's nothing that's more discouraging for a hobbyist than paying 100$ for a kit, waiting for weeks to get it, and then being dismayed with the results.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So, I figured that the fact that my white primer was spent was a sign that maybe this guy needed just a little bit more work. With that in mind, I tried my hand at adding some scars to his bulkitude. :P

bigboss92.jpg

bigboss93.jpg

bigboss94.jpg

bigboss95.jpg

I think the one on his back came out looking the best, and the one by Urk looked the worst. Still, I figure all of that can be touched up with paint. I know it looks like there's a 'seam' between where I added the scar and the rest of the musculature, but I did my damndest to try and smooth them together. I think it's also partly to do with the fact that the hue of the greenstuff used for the scar is different (since the mix was probably slightly different), which lets you see the edges and boundaries of the scar itself. After primer, I'm hoping it'll be indistinguishable. The stitching was the only way I knew of communicating an injury. Hell, it might not even end up being stitching - I could paint the brown 'stitches' boltgun metal and treat them as staples. The scar seemed like a good detail to add to the back, anyway, since it was sort've bare.

I tried adding bullet holes in a place or two, but nothing looked right so I popped them off.

I need to find a tutorial for properly blending the proper colors for this thing, since I want the skin around the scars and where the cables meet his flesh to be 'raw' looking, slightly pink tinted.

I'll probably grab a sharp knife and put some dings and gouges in his power fists a little later so that they look a little less fresh.

Ein on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    man that is looking good

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ein wrote: »
    Forgeworld stuff is awful in terms of quality control. Abysmal. Sometimes you will get grade A stuff, and other times you get the product they produced in the night shift when they replace the skilled labor with apes in hardhats.
    During the day the apes work at GW producing exorcist and scrap launcher kits.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I don't... think so. Ironically, they'd probably be red and black.

I think I want to keep them the same colors, honestly. Mismatched looks fine in a WIP stage, but once I have it primed I have the feeling opinions on paint might change.

I thought at least as far as WHFB was concerned, its implied that mork is the moon (yellow) and gork is the sun (red).

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I need to find a tutorial for properly blending the proper colors for this thing, since I want the skin around the scars and where the cables meet his flesh to be 'raw' looking, slightly pink tinted.

I'll probably grab a sharp knife and put some dings and gouges in his power fists a little later so that they look a little less fresh.

I find that mixing a normal flesh tone into the green gets a nice pinky flesh colour. I do this when I paint goblins (or sometimes I use Bleached Bone or similar to just get a light colour.)

So try mixing Dwarf flesh into your green skin colour. that should work.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Forgeworld stuff is awful in terms of quality control. Abysmal. Sometimes you will get grade A stuff, and other times you get the product they produced in the night shift when they replace the skilled labor with apes in hardhats.
    During the day the apes work at GW producing exorcist and scrap launcher kits.

:lol:

Scrap launcher, how I loathe thee.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So. Primed and paint's started.

I just want to mention that Tamiya's White Fine Surface Primer is a terrible product. I figured I'd give it a chance, and I sprayed it on a Black Reach boy. Great coverage. What I didn't know is that paint does not stick to it worth a damn. It just slides around. As a primer, it's terrible, but I'm discovering that a bit late.

Anyway! I'm not much of a painter, but I'm giving it a go. I did a base coat and highlights on the skin some, and then washed it down a bit. I'll probably continue washing the crevasses and trying to even out the highlights a little bit more.

bigboss96.jpg

bigboss97.jpg

bigboss98.jpg

bigboss99.jpg

bigboss100.jpg

Just a start, anyway.

The metal parts have been blacked out for now.

Pants are going to be brown... not sure about that rag yet, though. Part of me wants to do it blue and make it like a marine banner he just tore down and wrapped around himself.

Ein on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pants are going to be brown... not sure about that rag yet, though. Part of me wants to do it blue and make it like a marine banner he just tore down and wrapped around himself.

yes

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Stiiill going. I think I'm done for the night, though.

bigboss101.jpg

bigboss102.jpg

bigboss103.jpg

bigboss104.jpg

Doing the face and scars. The scars are iffy, need a bit more work, but it'll get there.

Ein on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Le gasp~

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Keep going, looking ace so far!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyway! I'm not much of a painter, but I'm giving it a go.

Understatement of (at least) the month.

It's looking really good.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As much as I hate to admit it, Ein's right. He's really not.
    ash2.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ash2.jpg

Haha

I keep finding him in a bin every now and then, but I don't have the presence of mind to put him somewhere I'll find again. I want to mail him as a secret santa prank, though. :P

Ein on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ash2.jpg

Haha

I keep finding him in a bin every now and then, but I don't have the presence of mind to put him somewhere I'll find again. I want to mail him as a secret santa prank, though. :P
    And then, when next a CF secret santa rolls around, Punkin' head ork goes back in the box and is sent on his way to the next in a line of confused secret santees.

see317 on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ash2.jpg

Hey, we all have tough spots.

Just some of ours are less horrifying.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alazull wrote: »
    ash2.jpg

I just want to clarify that that model was done in parody, for any of those people who were lucky enough to avoid Ash's... 'models'.

Ein on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Alazull wrote: »
    ash2.jpg

I just want to clarify that that model was done in parody, for any of those people who were lucky enough to avoid Ash's... 'models'.

Oh dear lord...That was the previous time I followed the miniature thread.

D: Just... D:

EDIT: And Ein, on your ork of badassness and punching, you've done a goddamned AWESOME paintjob. I especially like the detail work on the stitches and the inside of the mouth. Also, the idea of him taking a space marine banner and just wrapping it around his waist is brilliant.

yalborap on
  • Options
    NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I find this highly offensive...
    yet appealing

Niklas on
  • Options
    stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looking better and better Ein!

I'm almost done with my Black Reach marines, which means it's almost time to give some attention to the Black Reach Orks. As I've never painted an Ork before and, to be quite honest, I really have a tough time with human flesh, I'm a little worried. Any tips on how best to paint up the Ork flesh?

stratslinger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I can't help you there. I am just making this up as I go. My main piece of advice is probably just goblin green and a bunch of thraka wash. :P

Ein on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ein, I really think you should try the metal staple idea for the sutures. I think it'd make 'em pop right out.

I finished the skin on my Dire Troll Mauler a week or two ago, and I feel your pain. Doing that much skin in any color is fucking tedious/difficult. If I figure out how to use my wife's camera without it shitting on me, I'll post a comparison shot of yours and mine for the folks at home.

Toothy on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I say hold off on making the stitches into staples until you are done painting the fists and everything. If the fists end up with a lot of exposed metal then having the stitches be a different color could provide some really nice contrast to the model. If there isn't a lot of exposed metal then turning the stitches into staples would indeed really make them pop.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ash2.jpg

What the fuuuck is that.

and why do i want to make a pumpkin head set ork ork kommandos now

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ash2.jpg

What the fuuuck is that.

and why do i want to make a pumpkin head set ork ork kommandos now

A parody of Katchem_Ash's modeling attempts from way back. I think it got split out of the thread, though.

Basically, they were based on anime keychain things with these flat heads, and for reasons that I am not sure ever got solved, he used copius amounts of green stuff and gave them the flat heads, with paper faces. And rather subpar modeling in general, with some similarly less-than-stellar paintjobs.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    After pinking the scars a little bit more, I worked my way down and got some blue on the rags, a greyer color on the pants instead of my originally-planned brown, and brown boots. I'm still sort've trying to clean it all up and I may need to re-highlight some things because all the washing I'm doing is making it pretty dark.

bigboss105.jpg

bigboss106.jpg

bigboss107.jpg

bigboss108.jpg

bigboss109.jpg

I'm not as pleased with the lower half as the upper right now, though it's roughly a tabletop standard. The top of the leg that is in front will probably get a band of checkers running up it, because that spot is pretty bare and too smooth for the washes to be of much use. I'm also thinking of putting that ultramarine 'U' right up by his belt buckle, because there's a pretty smooth-ish area there that I could use for it. I don't think I could manage painting it on the folds in the cloth.

Ein on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm liking it Ein.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    nice ein. The scars are looking much nicer. Kinda juicy... The lower half is looking great as well. Keep it up!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't put checkers on that pant leg personally - judging from the pictures it does a good job of highlighting the bent leg under the pants.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I assume you plan on putting an Ultramarines symbol onto that makeshift loincloth sort of thing?

Also, any chance you have a better picture of the guns?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    quick question about the GW washes. Should I be watering these down? If so, how much?

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nope, you can pretty much just get a brush, fill it up and go to town with those things.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're shading something, I'd personally say no as it is just opaque enough to pull it off without/minimal watering them down. If you're going for a glaze you'll probably want to go 1:2 wash/water ratio.

Alazull on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It Burns wrote: »
    quick question about the GW washes. Should I be watering these down? If so, how much?
    The new ones?
    No, not at all. They're actually really good just slopped on neat.
    The old ones you need to cut by about half to get a decent effect without obscuring too much. Or you need to be really careful where you put them on the mini.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Light in my apartment is pretty awful right now, but I'll throw some new pictures up. A lot of work still to do on the arms.

bigboss110.jpg

bigboss111.jpg

bigboss112.jpg

bigboss113.jpg

bigboss114.jpg

I'm honestly not sure how to go about some of the detailing. I'll probably just make it up as I go.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Still waiting for you to put Gork 'n' Mork on the powa gauntletz, but besides that it looks fantastic.

I got to tell you man, everything you do inspires me to try just a little harder to not suck so much at painting and modelling.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure quite where to put the god's names. Inside the wrists might be my best option, or above the guns.

Ein on
This discussion has been closed.