Are you a bad enough DOODLE to rescue the president? (NSFW Stuff Must be Linked)

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spex, is Erin a lot bigger than you?

Tam on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    anable wrote: »
    Trying my hand at a new style. Copying one of the 38 Views of Mt. Fuji.

greatwaveoffkanagawaxd9.th.jpg

Self criting, I'd redo the wave lines on the left side to give it more depth. Anyone else's input is

appreciated.

not to sound too dickish, but trying a new style is not the same as copying. New style is something new from you. copying is well copying. and you can either copy well or not copy well. this isn't really a good copy. if you want to copy the pic i suggest laying out a grid.
    if you're looking for a new style, i think you need to just draw from life every day. don't worry about copying other works of art. just draw, read up on prespective and anatomy and draw draw draw. a style will then emerge from you.
    hope this helps. it might not be what you're looking for but it's prob the most sound advice you'll get from every good artist in here.

NakedZergling on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not THAT much but she's like three inches taller, yeah.

Spectre-x on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Continuing along. I'm pretty sure I done fucked up the form of the tahin.
    races3.jpg

Mayday on
    edited December 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    Not THAT much but she's like three inches taller, yeah.

Not trying to kill your amorous buzz man, but she looks quite a bit bigger in your drawing.

Also, Mayday, can I draw a Tahin? Pweese?

Tam on
    edited December 2007
    Dude? I had a thread some time ago when I specifically asked people to draw members of the 5 races of Resonance (the other two being Geckobs (as my avatar) and elves) to help me improve the designs by leeching off others' ideas.

In other words: OH GOD YES PLEASE!

Mayday on
    edited December 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    Dude? I had a thread some time ago when I specifically asked people to draw members of the 5 races of Resonance (the other two being Geckobs (as my avatar) and elves) to help me improve the designs by leeching off others' ideas.

In other words: OH GOD YES PLEASE!

Awesome! To give you an idea, I'm imagining a long skull with a quadruple lobed brain (these guys look intelligent) and four arms.

Tam on
  • Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TheFutuhjgghjre.jpg

Grim Outlook on
    edited December 2007
    Tam wrote: »
    Awesome! To give you an idea, I'm imagining a long skull with a quadruple lobed brain (these guys look intelligent) and four arms.

A skull with four arms? Tell me more.

P.S. Haha, GO, that's depressing!

EDIT: BOTP YAY!
    races3.jpgby me
    Snuggletime.jpgby Spex

Also, I found that thread, Tam! Good times...

Mayday on
    edited December 2007

A skull with four arms? Tell me more.

P.S. Haha, GO, that's depressing!

NOOOO! I can't find my Wacom pen!

Tam on
    edited December 2007
    I could lend you mine but I'm going to sleep (2Am FUCK!)

Mayday on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    10.png

10 minute painting up in hurr

Projeck on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    anable wrote: »
    Trying my hand at a new style. Copying one of the 38 Views of Mt. Fuji.

greatwaveoffkanagawaxd9.th.jpg

Self criting, I'd redo the wave lines on the left side to give it more depth. Anyone else's input is

appreciated.

not to sound too dickish, but trying a new style is not the same as copying. New style is something new from you. copying is well copying. and you can either copy well or not copy well. this isn't really a good copy. if you want to copy the pic i suggest laying out a grid.
    if you're looking for a new style, i think you need to just draw from life every day. don't worry about copying other works of art. just draw, read up on prespective and anatomy and draw draw draw. a style will then emerge from you.
    hope this helps. it might not be what you're looking for but it's prob the most sound advice you'll get from every good artist in here.

Haha. I've seen you dish out quite worse so I think I got off pretty light. I do draw mostly from life but I was getting bored and wanted to try something different. I guess I'll just keep my nose to the grindstone.

anable on
  • EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Enviro, about 1.5 hours now.

pe1.jpg

Ehmavisca on
    edited December 2007
    the story thus far (I nixed the extra arms):

tahin.jpg

Tam on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Who is that dashing young Quarren?

QuarrenProgress1.jpg

piL on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    thanks for you fucking pointless red sleeping mask Griffith university! this is what i did to it!

Photo42.jpg

r-jasper on
  • DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    S-s-s-speedpaint! 80 minutes.

I a) don't normally do speedpaints, and b) don't draw landscapes so I think it came out OK. Any tips would be awesome though. I googled some fig trees and fungus to get an idea of what they look like. I had this image in my head the other night of a forest of huge pale trees and no other plants save brightly coloured mushrooms.

SPEEDPAINT.jpg

DevKimiko on
    edited December 2007
    the story thus far (I nixed the extra arms):
    Haha, wow! He's almost handsome! :P Please, continue!

Mayday on
  • SlightlyWickedSlightlyWicked Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    Hello's everyone :)
    Awesome art everyone, (yes, I actually looked at all 21 pages... O.o)

Just some stuff I drew about...2 years ago. Just doodles.

Scan10010.jpg

Hehe, the background is my planner. :P
    slavetotime.jpg

...uh-oh....its kinda le huge, and I dunno how to make it smaller, le noob here...

SlightlyWicked on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    just sorta screwin around with custom brushes till this face popped up. kinda looks like snake i guess.
    Abstract_Face_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Here's a sketchdump of various people I've drawn here in the courthouse (many more are on my Flickr space).

2109224823_10eee51ac8.jpg

2109999480_0db7d1daed.jpg

2109999384_794d60caf3.jpg

2109224399_f3323fa7b7.jpg

2109224163_abd523e742.jpg

And here's a painting I just recently finished for my sister. Each panel is 10"x40".

2041367893_9286f164c0.jpg

mattharvest on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Excellent stuff Harvest and I dig the painting a lot. One thing though, I don't think it was intentional, but that forehead in the painting looks very wrong.

Edit: I feel like the figures left eye should be visible as well.

NeoRedXIII on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NeoRedXIII wrote: »
    Excellent stuff Harvest and I dig the painting a lot. One thing though, I don't think it was intentional, but that forehead in the painting looks very wrong.

eesh, I struggled with that for way, way too long. I agree with you, that it definitely didn't come out correctly, but somehow I just couldn't fix it.

mattharvest on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I tried thinking about how the face structure works, this is the best I could come up with.

DrewOver.jpg

It may help to bring that hair down a bit, extend the brow a bit and give the viewer some definition of the eye/brow. I don't know if it's the correct way of going about it, but it made sense to me.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2007
    Low poly WIP stuff

room1.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like those sketches mattharvest, really makes me think that life stuff is what I should be doing next.

Finished latest wow fanart for another friend:
    amaroqlg8.jpg

Shiboe on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    random bored shit i do at 3 am in the morning...

edit: wasn't satisfied, made changes...again...I. Just. Can't. Like. It.

Roland__s_Dualism_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited December 2007
    Matt- thumbs up! The lines are very nice, the proportions seem somewhat stylised- I don't know if that's what you were aiming for?

Myk- that's kinda messy, I can't really make out the details.

Anyway, continuing along:
    races8.jpg

Mayday on
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nice faces, Mayday.

MANGA LOL

faceydoodles.jpg

Moss on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Moss: That's hardly manga. If all manga looked like that then I would like manga.

mayday: I liked the old goblin faces better, but I guess you're aiming for a more realistic style? I don't know, I haven't actually been reading posts, just looking at the art.

AoB: You made me realize how much lighting and textures affect how realistic something looks, not just intricate modeling.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mefight2.jpg

RAWR!

Moss on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sunsetcopy.jpg
    hornscopy.jpg

i just CAN'T get a handle on this digital painting thing. i feel like i'm not improving.
    are there any good books or toutorial out there?
    should i just read up more on regular painting?

ha ha

i just had to try this. sorry for taking up so much space.

combo.jpg

NakedZergling on
    edited December 2007
    srsizzy wrote: »
    mayday: I liked the old goblin faces better, but I guess you're aiming for a more realistic style? I don't know, I haven't actually been reading posts, just looking at the art.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm trying to achieve here. It's supposed to serve as concept art for a fantasy/hi-tech setting.

Mayday on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really like that cloud. It kind of has a painterly feeling to it. Looks like a book illustration or something. :P

As far as the digital painting in general...what do you feel you're not getting?

NightDragon on
    edited December 2007
    i feel i have a real issue knowing what colors to choose if it's not from refrence, and though i use the "alt" eyedropper trick i have a real issue blending well.

i feel my stuff never looks smooth.

NakedZergling on
  • tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    got another t-shirt design in the works... Thank God finals are over so I can finally have fun

eyes2jl3.jpg

Any thoughts or remarks on this one?

Edit: NakedZergling, this website http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery has good tutorials about blending.

tmccool on
    edited December 2007
    i feel i have a real issue knowing what colors to choose if it's not from refrence, and though i use the "alt" eyedropper trick i have a real issue blending well.

i feel my stuff never looks smooth.

Well, for one, it looks like you're using a hard brush with the opacity lowered. If you try jacking up the opacity and switching to a soft-edged brush, I think that'll help a lot. Also, if you're still getting too much of an "edge", try just using more colors in between the two you're trying to blend...so, as a rough example, instead of blending a red and a yellow....blend red to red-orange, to orange, to orange-yellow, to yellow. It'll give a softer appearance.

I think as far as the color theory problem goes...I would just suggest you keep practising. You just have to train your eye, and sometimes that takes awhile. The eye-dropper thing was a good thing for me, personally - I feel I learned a good amount by that. Also, if you "blur" your vision a bit and put things out of focus, it makes it easier to tell what colors are.

Also-also, are you using pure white on your backgrounds, when you first start off? Another good trick is to put a neutral-ish color down first, it makes all your future color choices much more accurate...anything like blue-gray, dull tan, etc. As long as it's a midtone and not very saturated, it should work (in my personal experience. I also don't use straight gray, I find I work better if the BG has a hint of color in it).

NightDragon on
    edited December 2007
    tmccool wrote: »
    got another t-shirt design in the works... Thank God finals are over so I can finally have fun

Any thoughts or remarks on this one?

The "See" was easy to spot...the "can", a bit more difficult...and by then, I knew I was looking for an "I", and I found that...but maybe make the first two a bit easier to read?

NightDragon on
  • tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    better or worse?

eyes2bua4.jpg

tmccool on
This discussion has been closed.