Options

skate 3: witty title under construction

• Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I think they did a pretty good job with the music this time around. When you are at a skating landmark, it drops into a mellow background track that's pretty easy to ignore. There seems to be three different ones, be nice if there was more, but at least the ones that are there aren't completely annoying.

EA Trax is terrible, the background music is good stuff though.

Wibod on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The 'background music near a good skate spot' is how it worked in the first skate.

And I don't see the problem with 'EA trax'. Is it the music selection? It seems to play alright..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't dislike the music but I am glad I get to play my own stuff!

Also I came across a tremendous set of rails that I am sad I haven't seen a video of. I'll try to upload one tonight to show you guys where they are because I am awful and can't hit them all. And then I expect some ill looking stuff

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    japh wrote: »
    nice little update coming on march 23rd for xbox and ps3:

Fixes the following:

-Added support for custom soundtracks for the PS3

Finally.
    -Character models will be in high detail when viewing a replay

-Visual indicators (sign-up icons/arrows) are no longer visible in replays and videos

This is nice to see them cleaning up the replays. I haven't played this in a while though, is the server still a bitch to access?
    -Remove the confirmation pop-up when retrying a challenge
    ABOUT FUCKING TIME! YESS!!!!!!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    None of those fixes help me.. considering I finished all the challenges weeks ago.

It's nice and all, but I'm at the point where if it doesn't improve freeskate or setting up spots, I don't care. Though I am interested in the improved off board controls.

xzzy on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Now if only my 360 hadn't red ringed, I might have gotten to enjoy these relatively soon.

God damn devil box.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    KaligordKaligord Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ladies and gentlemen the moment none of you have been waiting for, my triumphant return to video making!

A clip show of the best and worst parts of my recent exploits

Enjoy!

Kaligord on
    And I - am not your enemy - not your destroyer - I am, as before, your right hand. Your sword.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    How did you pull off that tap on the dumpster around :20?

I've tried to do something like that for eons and I bail every time.

xzzy on
  • Options
    smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are we still uploading to xzzy's site? No-one's really put anything there recently, but I have a little film I made the other day for you to check out.

http://skate.xzzy.org/showvid.php?id=96

I was generally quite pleased with the line, it seemed to flow quite well to me at least. My favourite part is, strangely, the revert to double heelflip at the end. All the camera work was done with the advanced free-cam as I find camera cuts look properly cheesey. That's probably just my opinion though.

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Camera work was pretty damn nice on that one.

Don't know if you care, but one "trick" I've found with the advanced free camera is once you set your major keyframes, you can go back through the line and set new keyframes to point the camera at something, without messing up the camera's path.

As an example, that bit near the start of your movie where the skater drops off the bottom of the frame. As long as you don't move the camera other than pointing it, the path won't change.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Camera work was pretty damn nice on that one.

Don't know if you care, but one "trick" I've found with the advanced free camera is once you set your major keyframes, you can go back through the line and set new keyframes to point the camera at something, without messing up the camera's path.

As an example, that bit near the start of your movie where the skater drops off the bottom of the frame. As long as you don't move the camera other than pointing it, the path won't change.

Thanks, and thanks for the camera tip too.

I found that placing camera markers too close together made the camera movement pretty jerky and I didn't want to swing it too fast either as this makes me feel ill :P
    The camera I went with was a bit of a compromise to get a zoomed-out shot of the caveman in and a close up of the fingerflip.

I will try out your "path-editing trick" (for want of better words) on my next vids, see what I can do.

smokealbert on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There's definitely some finesse to it. But I seem to do better when I block out key points in large chunks to get the camera path down, then insert new points to fix the camera aiming.

It usually works. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was playing around last night and did this by accident, hope you all enjoy.

http://skate.xzzy.org/showvid.php?id=97

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    haha nice

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was playing around last night and did this by accident, hope you all enjoy.

http://skate.xzzy.org/showvid.php?id=97

He's a wizard!

smokealbert on
  • Options
    TarpoTarpo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone still playing? I have had the game for a few days but its nearly impossible to find a decent group online to play with.

Tarpo76 on live. Send me a FRQ if anyone is up for a game.

Tarpo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I still play, but I really don't like the multiplayer for the game.

I tend to hang out on goonskate now and have fun trying to put together lines for the challenges.

xzzy on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    has anybody been able to get into the EA graphics creator thing?

I keep getting an error after I log in.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    has anybody been able to get into the EA graphics creator thing?

I keep getting an error after I log in.

Yeah, all worked fine for me (check out my my videos on xzzy's site; nifty radiation hazard symbol on my board 8-))

I think you need your gamertag / PSN thingy already tied to your EA account, tied to your e-mail address etc. and you need to have set Skate to be one of your monitored games on that gamertag / PSN thingy.

This is wild speculation though.

smokealbert on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is the best game to kill an hour with from time to time. I still play it, like, every other day.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I've played very little that isn't Skate 2 since it was released. I actually just got a board f'reals thanks to the game, so I'm looking forward to hurting myself.

Blakout on
  • Options
    Fashionist PigFashionist Pig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm still discovering new things within this game. Now if only I could find some sort of casual skate team that plays a few times a week and has awesome pet-names like Jesus McBlunt and Gareth the Grinding Barbarian. If only.

Also, has anyone actually bought the DLC for the game, and has it been worth it at all?

Fashionist Pig on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the one that added some of the old levels from the first game was worthwhile. That's probably because I skipped the first game, though.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I need some help here guys. on two pro missions vert with the vampire, and Lucas' translation

For the life of me i can't get myself to get enough air up to the windows, i can do everything else.

And for Lucas translation, i can get the nosegrind, but i can't get my guy to do a tailslide. Can i get some advice or some help? thanks.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What exactly are you supposed to do for Lucas' translation? It's been months since I've done the challenges.

For vert with the vampire try pumping with the triggers. Pull the trigger so that your skater crouches as you are going up the ramp, ollie, crouch on the way back down, release it, crouch, ollie, etc. That should give you plenty of height to get that challenge done.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I need some help here guys. on two pro missions vert with the vampire, and Lucas' translation

For the life of me i can't get myself to get enough air up to the windows, i can do everything else.
    Are you pumping? Took me ages to get this too. Doing the pumping tutorial might help if you haven't yet. Just keep pumping by pushing the left stick up at each transition into the ramp. Make sure you let go before you get vertical, otherwise you'll go over the front.
    And for Lucas translation, i can get the nosegrind, but i can't get my guy to do a tailslide. Can i get some advice or some help? thanks.

Can you do a tailslide at all? It's just a nose slide flipped around. Put the back of the board down with the right stick, and keep holding it down as you swing your body around with the left stick. I had a lot of trouble with sticking the second slide, but I landed it by sliding the first box on the left side, then jumping across to the right side for the next slide.

Hope that helps.

exis on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    exis wrote: »

Are you pumping? Took me ages to get this too. Doing the pumping tutorial might help if you haven't yet. Just keep pumping by pushing the left stick up at each transition into the ramp. Make sure you let go before you get vertical, otherwise you'll go over the front.

Can you do a tailslide at all? It's just a nose slide flipped around. Put the back of the board down with the right stick, and keep holding it down as you swing your body around with the left stick. I had a lot of trouble with sticking the second slide, but I landed it by sliding the first box on the left side, then jumping across to the right side for the next slide.

Hope that helps.

Awesome, ill try both those tips. Thanks very much.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My trick for Lucas' Translation is that after the first grind, I realized I don't have to do any spinning.

So once you nose or tailslide, your board is already perpendicular to the next ledge, so simply ollie or fliptrick without using the left stick, and you should hit your other slide with ease.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is that for real?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That dude sucks.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    That dude sucks.

I didn't notice e__e
    I just find it funny how bad he sucks and his annotations.

AggroChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Makes me feel so much better about my first trys at OG skate. I like how the dude thinks that he's getting screwed over when really he can't play at all. When he landed the grab trick first try, I was wondering what the fuck was going on. Surely he handed the controller over to his little brother.

Fashionist Pig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Makes me feel so much better about my first trys at OG skate. I like how the dude thinks that he's getting screwed over when really he can't play at all. When he landed the grab trick first try, I was wondering what the fuck was going on. Surely he handed the controller over to his little brother.

I'm pretty sure he acknowledges that he's not good at it as the title states "i only know how to play fighting games"

AggroChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    AggroChan wrote: »

I'm pretty sure he acknowledges that he's not good at it as the title states "i only know how to play fighting games"

Well I know that, but the whole "attitude while fucking up, freaking out over general glitches" thing makes me figure he thinks this is the game somewhat, and not just his general inexperience.

Fashionist Pig on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well you gotta agree that brushing up against a dumpster as you run past it should not cause you to fall on your face.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well you gotta agree that brushing up against a dumpster as you run past it should not cause you to fall on your face.

I don't know, man. The dumpster hit like a trained prize fighter. It might have just had some personal space problems. Well just as trying to get on the board a little too close to a wall shouldn't. But you know, minor glitches are what they are, take them as comedic value I say. Then show your friends on youtube and twitter about it.

Fashionist Pig on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    clearly he's the kind of guy trying to play like it's a tony hawk game.
    doesn't really work. i'll admit i was running into walls and bumping off shit in skate 1 because i was trying to do crazy stuff all the time.
    skate isn't always an easy game to pick up, it takes time to learn timing the jumps and stuff like that.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So.
    I'm still playing this game on an almost daily basis. What is wrong with me?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    So.
    I'm still playing this game on an almost daily basis. What is wrong with me?

I was pretty late picking this up, but so am I. In fact, I just finished it today (I've spent so much time just skating around not really bothering to finish up the career things that were bugging me). And here's one of my first ventures off the dam: http://skate.xzzy.org/showvid.php?id=98. Apologies for the editing, it looked better in slow-mo >.>

exis on