As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

skate 3: witty title under construction

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    How do I land the 900 on the first jump? I always hit between the 720 and the 900 and crash.

Make sure you're tucking down low on the approach (gently using a trigger so you get into the proper almost-grabbing-but-not-quite tuck), flick the stick really fast to get the height and use the right stick to get the extra degrees of motion before you land.

Basically how you do the 540s on the pro SKATE competitions, just more.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    PennywisePennywise Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am stuck on the storefront section. I am not sure how I am I am supposed to get on that small ledge then manual and then gap to the street. I can get one but trying to get both is proving to be impossible for me.

Pennywise on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pennywise wrote: »
    I am stuck on the storefront section. I am not sure how I am I am supposed to get on that small ledge then manual and then gap to the street. I can get one but trying to get both is proving to be impossible for me.

You know that you can set a new marker when doing photo challenges right? I reset mine further back so I got some good speed, oliied (a quick flick will net you more height), landed in a manual and flipped into the street.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's that, you say?

A skate video?

I do believe so!

Just a hastily thrown-together video of me having lots of fun Downtown.

Blakout on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So.... have we figured out a way to easily get uploaded movies as .avi's or something more manageable yet?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    KaligordKaligord Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blakout wrote: »
    What's that, you say?

A skate video?

I do believe so!

Just a hastily thrown-together video of me having lots of fun Downtown.

Sounds a lot like a gauntlet being thrown down to me - although a good video of downtown Id say. Nice mix of tricks hard and easy, decent lines and a nice lot of pointing. Though it does mean Im tempted to push forward production of my own.

Right now however Im finishing off the video challenges and can I just say fuck video challenges, get a million points, 50000degree spin and 20000m grind in 30 seconds kthxbai - who the hell only films for 30 seconds at a time anyway? Its the only part of the game I havent really enjoyed but I cant not finish it now Ive come so far!

Oh and Ive got about $150K, what am I supposed to spend it on? Clothes that I will never wear cause my sponsor stuff is free?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH! been trying one video challenge for like an hour and cant do it and im getting sick of the stupid camera guys stupid fucking voice, the stupid ass skaters who seem drawn to you doing tricks just to get in the god damn way and knock you off, the disc is about 1 more "daaaayum" when I bail to being snapped in half.

Kaligord on
    And I - am not your enemy - not your destroyer - I am, as before, your right hand. Your sword.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Good pointing, Blakout. Hearty good pointing.

t Kaligord - Money is just to get the 50 items of clothing achievement. I wear sponsor stuff so I just have this massive wardrobe full of stuff I'll never wear and a shiny achievement.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good pointing, Blakout. Hearty good pointing.

t Kaligord - Money is just to get the 50 items of clothing achievement. I wear sponsor stuff so I just have this massive wardrobe full of stuff I'll never wear and a shiny achievement.

Yeah as long as you don't pick sponsors who don't have shit for clothes, you can get that achievement without spending a penny.

Just make sure to check shirts and hats for all the companies.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Before I throw the controller through the screen I might go get that achievement because why not?

With them giving me all this cash I just kept it cause I assumed it would actually be needed for something, shows how wrong you can be! 50 item of clothing coming up I guess.

P.S I hate film challenges, which should be called film "its going to take you about an hour to find the right line and then a little more to practice it till you can get it right, fuck you for buying SKATE" challenges - too long perhaps though?

Kaligord on
    And I - am not your enemy - not your destroyer - I am, as before, your right hand. Your sword.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You don't have to do all the film challenges though, just enough to get up to the next magazine shoot.

When I'd got the cover of both magazines I still had 5 challenges left to do, and that took me another week of frustrated skating around until those finally fell (most of which upstairs at the Matrix Plaza).

But if you're already skipping the deathraces you'll have to choose the lesser evil. Unless you're a completitionist like me who then goes back and beats every film challenge, race, SKATE pro, etc.

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You don't have to do all the film challenges though, just enough to get up to the next magazine shoot.

When I'd got the cover of both magazines I still had 5 challenges left to do, and that took me another week of frustrated skating around until those finally fell (most of which upstairs at the Matrix Plaza).

But if you're already skipping the deathraces you'll have to choose the lesser evil. Unless you're a completitionist like me who then goes back and beats every film challenge, race, SKATE pro, etc.

Oh yeah Ive finished the game proper, as it were but I want to finish all the film challenges for completeness - I just hate them at the same time.

I just did the 3K in a no skate zone on the second level of matrix, Im now looking at the other no skate area because my last three film challenges are in them.
    1) 5,500 in no skate
    2) 4k and 6 grinds no skate
    3) 4,500 5m powerslide 30m grind

the last one is especially wtf O_o

Kaligord on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I got all of those upstairs at the Matrix Plaza. There's an area to the North I think that has a bench with a broken-up rail running next to it that eventually goes off around a tree. I just kept doing the hard flip-tricks into grinds and out again backwards and forwards.

The 5m powerslide you can get from just 3 pushes, I think, so usually I'll do it coming out of the flip-grind-flip portion, and your 30m grind is cumulative so you'll end up getting that at the 28 second mark if you keep at it.

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That third one, I did down the hill and on the road outside The Regs. Take a few pushes down the hill, powerslide when I'm up to speed, across the flat where all the cars cross, then start grinding and flipping down the curb in the middle. Took a lot of attempts, but is very do-able.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So.... have we figured out a way to easily get uploaded movies as .avi's or something more manageable yet?

I use mencoder, a command line linux utility (it has a windows port too). It's not the easiest command in the world to learn, but once you figure it out it's pretty useful.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This must be the most frustrating thing Ive done in years, I think my head is going to explode at any point.

Note to all games developers, I dont care if it fits the "scene" but after Ive crashed off my board for the millionth time trying to land one of your god awful challenges, that you can only film 30seconds at a time AND NOT A MOMENT MORE!, I dont want some 12year old punk kid shouting "oooooh" or "daaayum" or "dont worry youll get it next time" no I wont because the security guard will suddenly have his spider sense go off run right around the building and shove me off my board when Im just about to get the last 500 points of your retarted target of 5,500.

I hate you SKATE, I hate you so hard.

In other news, one film challenge left to go but its the one with the powerslide in, Im not sure three pushes is enough I think you need a bit of a hill - testing continues.

Kaligord on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kaligord, read where I did it. And yes, I got frustrated with the guy too. No, I'm not a wuss. Here, eat a skateboard.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I did all the regular film challenges on the hills in The Res (I think that's what it's called). The place outside Danny Way's building is especially good because there's no cars to hit you. Just do some hard flip tricks and link them with manuals and you'll get the points easily, shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Then use the curb for any grinds you need and you'll have plenty of speed to do any length of powerslide.

For the no-skate zone ones, I used the top of Matrix Plaza. The same method works for the points, and there's plenty of benches and stuff laying around to get any grinds you need.

Doesn't make for the most exciting videos, but it's an easy way to get the challenges out of the way.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Woot!

At last finished the film challenges this morning, thanks to darleysam and SporkAndrew for that.

I guess now I should either scope out which area I want for the LoD PA vid or perhaps work on my own side project of a video I think is almost self made.

Hmm perhaps a mix of the two?

Kaligord on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Congratulations!
    And I swear, as soon as I'm done with Mass Effect, I'll go back and make my part for the video. I've also thrown Blakout's into the OP.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Guys, I've begun working on an epic project.

It will have lots of pointing.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Just how epic/how much pointing are we talking here? Though without pointing it cant be epic, so how pointy are we talking?

Ive started my own project, just a "quickie" or so I thought, until it took forever to get the videos from the xbox to the PC, phew.

and my Xbox froze maybe 4/5 times while loading replays, just how bad is that?

Kaligord on
  • Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are you sure the Xbox is freezing, and not just taking the astoundingly long time to load your replays?

Aaaaand, I really, really need to start working on my videos. Or just playing at all.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sagaxus wrote: »
    Are you sure the Xbox is freezing, and not just taking the astoundingly long time to load your replays?

Aaaaand, I really, really need to start working on my videos. Or just playing at all.

All I could really go on was the fact the gears (or whatever you wish to call them) had stopped spinning in the box next to the word loading and I dont mean just for a second, for a good minute before I turned it off/back on again.

and yes, yes you should.

There are two more videos I want from my skate.reel stuff before I start editing but I think I killed the site for myself, ooops

Kaligord on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kaligord wrote: »

Just how epic/how much pointing are we talking here? Though without pointing it cant be epic, so how pointy are we talking?

How epic? I'd show you how epic if the skate.reel site wasn't taking 15 minutes to load.

Rest assured, though, that the levels of epic present within the upcoming project could cause internal hemorrhaging in a weak man.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kaligord wrote: »

How epic? I'd show you how epic if the skate.reel site wasn't taking 15 minutes to load.

Rest assured, though, that the levels of epic present within the upcoming project could cause internal hemorrhaging in a weak man.

*does the finger pyramid of evil contemplation*

We shall see Blakout, we shall see....

(stupid skate site, why now? Youve been so good to me up until now.)

Kaligord on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bleh to Youtube converter thingy mabob not working. I suppose I'll have to attack Nocren with files soon.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Now I didnt mean to go pissing on any bonfires and I still do want to be in the PA LoD video. However I was rather bored today and things tend to get made when that happens.

So would you kindly have a look at the video and let me know what you think.

Oh and if I may still sign up Id like Curvature and Traffic Jam. Thanks!

and enjoy.

Kaligord on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I've had my 360 freeze up when trying to load replays a lot. It's very annoying.

And I know it's freezing up because the loading screen is no longer animated and the ripped music I have playing stops.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bleh to Youtube converter thingy mabob not working. I suppose I'll have to attack Nocren with files soon.

PM me or hit me up in Live and send me links.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kali, you're on the list for those two. Enjoy!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

What version do you have? I have 2.2.3 and it works like a charm, but I accidentally got an older version first and it would only play the sound of the converted files.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

What version do you have? I have 2.2.3 and it works like a charm, but I accidentally got an older version first and it would only play the sound of the converted files.

I just ran out of Days/uses on my thingy. I could buy it, but I am a cheap bastard.

Darn power outages and windows updates are out to make me unhappy, I swear it.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I just ran out of Days/uses on my thingy. I could buy it, but I am a cheap bastard.

IS that all? Delete/Uninstall, and redownload. Bam, new 30 days/3 uses.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nocren wrote: »

IS that all? Delete/Uninstall, and redownload. Bam, new 30 days/3 uses.

I tried that three times, and so far it hasn't worked.

Anyways.. Is it jsut me, or do the other skaters just love to congregate around me in freeskate? Bleh to the person that decided you can't turn them off.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Anyways.. Is it jsut me, or do the other skaters just love to congregate around me in freeskate? Bleh to the person that decided you can't turn them off.

You just get it in freeskate? I swear whenever I hit yellow to start a film challenge it would also spawn 3/4 skaters whose sole purpose was to get in my way 3 seconds from the end of the challenge to trip me up and generally fall in front of me in such a way to make me fail and throw the controller at the television - in hindsight they probably are in league with the television corporations being all corporationy.

I really should get to filming my section but Forza 2 got all cheap so Ive been driving round and round in circles instead.

Kaligord on
  • Options
    totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well gentlemen, I finally got this game. And now tip of my thumb hurts really bad. It is definitely as good as you all made it sound. (and look)

And the video challenges totally ruin the spirit of the game. They are like an angry turd. In your hand.

some footy:

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/41656/posts/718344.aspx
    serendipitous.

I finally found out how to get on the warehouse roof at the DIY park
    http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/41656/posts/718343.aspx

I definitely enjoy the exploration part of this game.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Options
    japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hopefully after Christmas we pick things up again. Mass Effect on Hardcore is hard...

japh on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Time for a little thread-o-mancy I think here.

Just wanted to see if there was still any interest in getting this LoD video done?

Im rather in the mood to get my SKATE on and in turn my filming on too, so should I get my section sorted once and for all (keep deleting what I do because I dont like it enough haha) or concentrate on a video of just my own stuff?

Any thoughts from anyone welcome, just to let me know that there is any interest at all.

Kaligord on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I'm still up for it. Though it you need any help (ripping/editing/converting) it's probably going to have to wait till next week. When I upgraded my computer, I lost a few things.

That, and Rock Band's kinda be dominating most of our lives, I'm sure.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, anyone that checks my card can see I've not played in a few months, although I'm frequently heard to say "man, I need to play skate again", then I'll load up Assassin's Creed or something. But seriously, sometime soon, I'll load up skate and get some proper stuff filmed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png