Options

Dwarf Fortress: Fishing interrupted by carp

• Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    I smell arena battle.

... Hrm. I wonder, is it possible to drop a cage into a pit without killing the sod inside?

Is it possible to attach a chain to the cage and have it lowered into the pit via a lever?

EDIT

wavecutter on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I smell arena battle.

... Hrm. I wonder, is it possible to drop a cage into a pit without killing the sod inside?

hmm...
    gorn2zx5.jpg
    bababah bah bah bah bah bah baababababba!

THERE ARE THREE LIGHTS.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    well i guess i got lucky when i moved him initially, currently he is sealed into a little hut i made, no doors.

so he is secure until i decide what to do with him

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    make the hut larger and round-ish (arena-like)

build a trade depot inside

build a lever outside

/popcorn

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I vote for death by magma. Or put him in some kind of zoo. With magma.

Fading's idea is good too.

But I would suggest magma just in case.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll take care of it!

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    PS where is Tinbolt?

I think JDark had it but I'm not sure if he passed it off or what.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tinbolt is going to explode in a flurry of probability particles if this keeps up.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tinbolt is going to explode in a flurry of probability particles if this keeps up.

yeah i was just thinking that

what the fuck

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Today, Jothki the Speardwarf died of suffocation as the result of a wound inflicted in a sparring session. He leaves behind many grieving comrades. The military will remember his dedication to staying on duty; even when all others were off for a drink or some food, Jothki would always remain at his post. RIP.

Aside from that very little is happening in my dinky little fortress currently. Synthetic Orange failed to get re-elected as mayor, and has decided to join the military to "show those bozos what a good boning is all about." We can only assume she (yes, she) is referring to bone bolts.

Update: Woo, Rhesus Positive has become the first Legendary Champion of this fortress! Nobody else has even become a lord yet. Rhesus sure does dedicate himself to his training.

Edit: Fuck yes, a testament to my anti-trader ways!

Savotkasith, "Stoodprowler", a Native platinum crown
    This is a Native platinum crown. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Native platinum a decorated with cave spider silk. This object is adorned with hanging rings of Tiger iron and menaces with spikes of Larch. On the item is an image of a wagon in Iron. The wagon is falling.

Now if only I could make my broker wear it...

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    LMAO

wavecutter on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I smell arena battle.

hmm...
    gorn2zx5.jpg

THERE ARE THREE LIGHTS.

Holy shit I forgot how bad that fight really was.

edit: worst totp ever.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They kiss at 00:46.

Also,
    J3p wrote: »
    This is a Native platinum crown. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Native platinum a decorated with cave spider silk. This object is adorned with hanging rings of Tiger iron and menaces with spikes of Larch. On the item is an image of a wagon in Iron. The wagon is falling.

Best picture I've ever heard of on an item in dwarf fortress, that.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, that's pretty impressive.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DataranDataran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright, so my last fortress wasn't going where I wanted so I decided that I would take over one of the goblins towers nearby.

I've already cleared out one of them and need to move on to the second, however my marksdwarves have run out of bolts.

Thankfully the goblin guard I just killed had a bunch of bolts AND a shiny bronze crossbow. I set those items to claim by my marksdwarves aren't having any of it.

Any idea how to get them to pick up the weapon / ammo?

Dataran on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Update: Woo, Rhesus Positive has become the first Legendary Champion of this fortress! Nobody else has even become a lord yet. Rhesus sure does dedicate himself to his training.

What can I say? I knew it was possible to juggle a child and a career.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, today's been interesting..

The human caravan came as always, and as always I placed my military on duty and guarding my gates from the usually thievery that occurs. However this year, near the end of the trading session, 3 squads of goblin axemen and pikemen showed up.

So the 2 squads of 7 dorfs each head out to slay the beasts. The first to reach the area are Xtarath, Elos, wavecutter and an Axedorf. Elos whips out his mace and bashes the gobbo in the arm, breaking it. Then the goblin apparently tackled Elos into a nearby lake wherein Elos was slashed across the gut with an ax and bleed to death. But not before breaking the goblins limbs so he couldn't swim out and drowned.

Back on land wavecutter bashed a couple goblins about with his mace, killing 1 and severely injuring one. The axedorf that was helping out severed one axegobbo's right arm and then continued to decapitate him. However he was jumped and his left eye was cut out by a pike, he tried to run but he passed out from the pain and was finished off. Wavecutter charged the some other goblins and suffered a stab to the left leg after bashing one gobbo's skull in.

Xtarath was sitting back with his crossbow and shot the goblin that killed the axedorf and shot all the other goblins around him dead. But where was wavecutter? He had limped away, being chased by an axegoblin, he was cornered on a hill and was forced to battle the goblin.

Wavecutter kicked his ass with a broken leg, he even tackled the goblin down one z level and the goblin ran away. Xtarath rushed to wavecutter's side and guarded him as he lay on the ground until the rest arrived.

The other goblins had moved on towards my fort and were intercepted and slaughtered by my military with the loss of only one recruit.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    LawlzorLawlzor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Noob question:does anybody know why my dwarfs won’t set up stone fall traps? I had my mechanic sitting around for a while and I don’t have any other tasks turned on

Lawlzor on
  • Options
    SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Edit: Fuck yes, a testament to my anti-trader ways!

Now if only I could make my broker wear it...

I hate you. I hate you so much for your awesome dwarves.

Samoris on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just found a magma cavern lined with bauxite. Is this a sign that I need to fill my fortress with creative magma floodgate traps that will invariably doom all of my dwarfs when a lone groundhog penetrates my defenses?

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    sounded like an awesome day Stealtharcadia!

wavecutter on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dataran wrote: »
    Alright, so my last fortress wasn't going where I wanted so I decided that I would take over one of the goblins towers nearby.

I've already cleared out one of them and need to move on to the second, however my marksdwarves have run out of bolts.

Thankfully the goblin guard I just killed had a bunch of bolts AND a shiny bronze crossbow. I set those items to claim by my marksdwarves aren't having any of it.

Any idea how to get them to pick up the weapon / ammo?
    Do you have room for that stuff in your stockpiles, and some free dwarves with item hauling on? They should get around to moving them eventually, and then the marksdwarves should grab them from the stockpiles. You could also make the appropriate stockpile underneath the items where they are now, and see if the dwarves will equip them from there (just remember to remove those stockpiles when they become empty, if it works).

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I smell arena battle.

hmm...
    gorn2zx5.jpg

THERE ARE THREE LIGHTS.

Holy shit I forgot how bad that fight really was.

edit: worst totp ever.

insp_ingenuity_preview.jpg

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some Elf Merchants arrived, and before they could take their first steps into the map they get ambushed by Gobbo Macemen. A-TEAM, ASSEMBLE.

Okay take a drink first. Then ASSEMBLE!

Spoiler'd for kind of long
    By the time my military was out the gates, all the elves of the caravan were dead, and a donkey was fleeing, Gobbos close in pursuit. The squad moves in to intercept the beasts.

RichardTauber was leading the pack, with Rhesus Positive close behind. Suddenly, as if out of thin air, the distinctive head of an Iron Pike appears. It just grazes RichardTauber's neck, luckily only causing a very minor injury. Alas, an attack from a second ambush of Goblin Pikeman! Crafty gobbos these is.

Surrounded by no less than 8 vicious Goblins, RichardTauber did not waver. With a clean stroke, he sent his first assailant skyward, the Gobbo's limp body colliding with a tree in an explosion of blood. Alas, he could not withstand the tried and true Gobbo pile tactic, and soon found himself overrun by rabid beasts, all of them armed with instruments of pain. He died in a flurry of hitting and stabbing. RIP.

Rhesus Positive, who until recently was quite enthusiastic about this whole killing Goblins thing, decided it was about time for some dinner and returned to the fortress for a meal. In his absence, Skulk the Macedwarf advanced at full speed, evidently ready to put more than a few dents in some Gobbo noggins. He leapt at a Goblin Pikeman onto to have his Fourth Toe, Left Foot mangled, the pain of having his favourite toe ruined was too much for him, and he fell unconscious. The vile masses set upon him, his death mercifully quick. RIP.

Next up was dataran, who, armed with dual crossbows, did his best. Unfortunately, out of the five Gobbos advancing on him, he only hit one, horribly mangling the beast's right upper leg. The rest of them closed the gap quickly and made a nice shish-kebab out of dataran. RIP.

A famous War Dog, known for its ferocity, was neutralised by a Goblin Pikeman. RIP

A Goblin Pikeman killed the most beloved puppy of the fortress. RIP.

By now, though, Rhesus Positive had finally finished his meal, and now he set out to show those filthy Goblins what fighting is all about. Armed with two massive Steel Battle Axes and covered head to toe in Steel Plate armour, he was surely a fearsome sight. By the time he arrived, the Goblins had dispersed a little. The first Gobbo, a miserly Guard, was cut clean in half, the lower portion of his body flying several metres into the leafy embrace of a tree. The next, a fleeing Gobbo Pikeman, was given a similar treatment, the lower half of his corpse tracing a majestic arc high in the air before colliding with the upper body again. The third was hacked into countless tiny pieces before he was finished. After some pursuit, he caught up to the fourth goblin, who had the nerve to take a stab at him. It only bruised RhesusPositive's upper spine, but the shock was enough to stun the champion. After a few moments lapse, he pursued once again and sliced the wailing fiend's abdomen open, guts flying everywhere.

Meanwhile, the Gobbo Macemen squad advanced upon my fortress. Rhesus Positive was still the only dwarf fighting, as xzzy was busy picking up equipment, and both Stealtharcadia and Synthetic Orange had only just woken up. On his return to defend the fortress gates, Rhesus claimed yet another life, this time a Goblin Macemen. Goblin blood now covers every square centimetre of this champion's once glistening steel plate armour.

The invaders retreated. Rhesus continues to fight. Synthetic Orange sets out to assist. Xzzy goes to sleep. Stealtharcadia drinks.

A goblin thief appeared, only to be diced by Rhesus, the goblin's left arm being propelled no less than ten tiles away. Another appeared, only to have its left lung, heart and upper spine thoroughly pierced by a steel bolt fired from Synthetic Orange's Pine Crossbow.

It was over, for now.

The Gobbo whose leg was mangled by dataran crawled around for a while before making it to the edge of the map.

tl;dr RichardTauber, Skulk, dataran die. Rhesus Positive saves the day.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Question: If I set all my dorfs to wear plate armor, will they wear lower grade armor if no plate armor is available?

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rhesus is an hero!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Question: If I set all my dorfs to wear plate armor, will they wear lower grade armor if no plate armor is available?

Yes. They'll wear Chain if there's no Plate, Leather if there's no chain, clothes if there's no leather.

Don't ask what happens if there are no clothes.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    DataranDataran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All hail Rhesus! Savior of the city!

I hope we all get decent funerals though.

Redorf me if you get a chance....hopefully I can do more next time than hit a broad side of a barn..

Dataran on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I see no need to wade into battle when it was clear everything was already in hand.

Plus I stayed up the night before drinking, you know how it is.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks,

Man, the Goblin's near my fortress have a scary name.. The Mechanical Metal-Sin.
    D:

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks,

Man, the Goblin's near my fortress have a scary name.. The Mechanical Metal-Sin.
    D:

I wonder if this implies that they will attempt some tentacle rape?

wavecutter on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rhesus Positive suspends saving day: hungry.

Yeah, sounds like me. Sorry I needed a snack, guys, but it ain't easy being so gosh-darn legendary.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I'm outfitting my dwarves for a fortress - to bring an anvil, or not to bring an anvil?
    Its 1,000 bloody points, and if I ditch it, I can bring every kind of drink, meat, some ropes for wells, etc. I haven't played this game since the pre-z axis version.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Personally I never bring an anvil. It takes too much effort to do much withem and there isn't anything you absolutely must have an anvil for in year 1. You can trade for one in your first or second caravan.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd ditch the anvil and drop the first merch convoy to arrive with one into a pit.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sakeido wrote: »
    So I'm outfitting my dwarves for a fortress - to bring an anvil, or not to bring an anvil?
    Its 1,000 bloody points, and if I ditch it, I can bring every kind of drink, meat, some ropes for wells, etc. I haven't played this game since the pre-z axis version.

500 turtle bones and shells is indeed tempting.

jothki on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Always ditch the anvil. It's very unlikely you can get a metal industry running within the first year, and it should be trivial to make enough stone mugs to buy an anvil when the caravans show up.. you're almost guaranteed either the humans or dwarves will bring one to buy on their first visit.

xzzy on
  • Options
    blastblast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sakeido wrote: »
    to bring an anvil, or not to bring an anvil?

There's really no need to bring an anvil. I always start a fortress by digging out a fairly large (15-20 tile square) entrance hall, and as soon as the food is in a stockpile and there's a 3x3 area near the back of the hall cleared out I disable hauling on my stonecrafter and set him to work. Now that dwarves bring caravans I've never had them arrive without an anvil, and I've always had plenty of trade goods for a couple anvils and some fish for bones.

That strategy is for people who care about their brothers from the Mountainhomes, of course. If you want to be a rogue nation you can just murder them, you murderer.

blast on
    Hello, little man. I will destroy you!
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's a good layout for the entrance area + first few levels if you're digging straight down into the ground? I had my trade depot outside several versions back to avoid the liaison bug, and the whole setup was pretty indefensible. Should I have cage traps, stonefall traps, chained animals, a drawbridge, or what? Are traps slaughtering friendlies in the current release?

EDIT: I'd like to be included in other people's fortresses and take part in all the legendary exploits.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If dwarves get a brain injury will they no longer spar? I know if they get a spinal injury they stop training but what about brains?

vhzod on