Options

Dwarf Fortress: Fishing interrupted by carp

• Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "Your ruler has arrived, dressed as a peasant!"

You have to drive him berserk and catch him in a cage trap.

It's the only dwarfly way to go about it.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Abbalah wrote: »
    So now I've got a pretty self-sufficient fortress completely cut off from the outside world. I was pretty content to let my proto-military dwarves finish their exhaustive training program and lower the bridge in like two years, allowing half a dozen commando superdwarves in full adamantine to burst out and slaughter the interlopers, before I remembered I'd be getting migrants soon.

Just as I realize this

"Some migrants have arrived!"

...the plot thickens

Put them all through boot camp using steel masterwork weapons. If the king survives, he's worthy of ruling.

jothki on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What does that message signify, exactly?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How do I move about a creature caught in a cage trap? I plan on building an arena of fun.

Also, In a recent Goblin invasion, Zetetic Elench was shot in the back by Goblin bowmen and bled to death. The poor guy was only fishing. D:

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

What does that message signify, exactly?

If you're talking about the ruler arriving dressed as a peasant, it means that your king or queen has arrived. If you look at them, they are wearing peasant clothes. As for why dwarf kings would dress like peasants, that's beyond me.

If you're referring to my quote, it's my little commie dwarfs speaking through me when I say that. Everyone in my fort works. Freeloaders get a magma shower.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you hit a population of I think 100 and possibly meet some other requirement, a king arrives to rule your dwarves because you've become pretty important, I guess. Normally he shows up with a consort and an advisor and some guards and generally a big showy entourage.

If you hit adamantine before that, however, the next immigrant wave gives you a king anyway, but 'dressed as a peasant' ie without his bodyguards.

And for the curious, I went ahead and just recruited all the immigrants and let them fend for themselves. Didn't see the king anywhere, but only one of them (a metalsmith) made it into the fort alive, out of a wave of 20 or so.

Frustrating, because the Armorsmith I needed was in that wave :|

Abbalah on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, wavecutter died of thirst because apparently my dwarfs thought it was more important to haul stone than bring him water.

I blame the peasants.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How do I move about a creature caught in a cage trap? I plan on building an arena of fun.

Also, In a recent Goblin invasion, Zetetic Elench was shot in the back by Goblin bowmen and bled to death. The poor guy was only fishing. D:

I demand blood be paid for this dwarfacide!

Or a pint of rum, both will do.

Also, time for a new fortress, because dwarves hate carp. And skeletel carp be deadly.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got that "ruler as peasant" line once, just after I discovered adamantite.

Never could find him, played 10 years of game time and he never revealed himself. Must've fallen into the chasm as he was headed for the fortress or something.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    I got that "ruler as peasant" line once, just after I discovered adamantite.

Never could find him, played 10 years of game time and he never revealed himself. Must've fallen into the chasm as he was headed for the fortress or something.

Nah, it doesn't work, either right now or just sometimes. I got the same line, but got nobody but a new Countess.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, wavecutter died of thirst because apparently my dwarfs thought it was more important to haul stone than bring him water.

I blame the peasants.

Tragedy!

Also my new fortress is named Violencechambers and my starting group is call "The lance of kings" although I took some liberties naming the group the fortress name is completely random.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dear god, I knew that chasm was bad news. My miners and new inhabitants of this area were attacked by a Giant Bat who ripped many dorfs to shreds until the Hunter tgbob shot it to death with the help of my military. Who seemed not to really care their friends were being eaten alive by a fucking bat.

God I can't imagine how freaky that had to be.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wavecutter wrote: »

I blame the peasants.

Tragedy!

Also my new fortress is named Violencechambers and my starting group is call "The lance of kings" although I took some liberties naming the group the fortress name is completely random.

Your job is now to make severl rooms with caged animals to slaughter everyone and anyone.

They will be known as.....Violencechambers!

Edit for bats: I think alot of things wouble be really freaky in dwarf fortress, like the elephants that destroy worlds.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The bat even got a nickname.

"Padmeetles"

May the engravers tell its tale of slaughter and destruction for years to come.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    nothing ever cool happens at my fort like a giant bat that destroys half my population

all i ever get are giant spidersilk thongs :|

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Giant bats are a huge menace. They have mangled many of my dwarves.

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I need some help dealing with all this stone lying around. I need to clear out my storage rooms so that I may "store" things there without all that stone mucking it up.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just witnessed my stonecrafter go beserk and kill 3 cats and 4 dwarves. It was a good run for a dwarf with no real level upped stats

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    DataranDataran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok so here is a trap question.

Is it at all possible to set floodgates or doors or any sort of tile on the ground and can be linked to a lever?

The tiles/floodgates/doors would be suspended above a chasm of some sort, so that when the lever is pulled the invaders/unwanted immigrants will die a horrible death.

Is that possible?

Dataran on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    nothing ever cool happens at my fort like a giant bat that destroys half my population

all i ever get are giant spidersilk thongs :|

You really gotta set your dwarves up for failure to get the hilarious stuff.

Playing to survive is extremely easy, and can sap a lot of the fun out of the game if carnage is what you want (if you want empire building, it's cool that the game supports that too).

What I reccomend is build forts near chasms, or don't set up draw bridges, don't use traps.. stuff like that. And hilarity will happen.

xzzy on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You could build bridges and link those up i think

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, only way to link up a falling trap with a level is to use a bridge. That's pretty much the only way to do it period.. all the other mechanisms work too fast or too slow to actually trap an enemy.

xzzy on
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone know how to prevent dwarves from eating trapped vermin? Fuckers keep eating my rhino lizards and fire snakes, eating them raw.

tgbob on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    were going to have to start a new thread soon.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

D:

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A cook migrant brought with her two children named Xzzy and Infestedgnome. both destined to become great warriors. Also Tgbob and Zetetic showed up as peasants and will become the epicenter of my military.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So my large migrant wave managed to attract the attention of a group of ratmen who chased them into my camp. A lone migrant whose profession I was unable to discern battled 4 of the and took one out before bleeding to death. This group of ratmen then lost interest and went about their business. Another lone ratman
    chasing the migrants was struck down by an activated miner who promptly went to sleep after spattering the ratman.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Apparently one of the migrants brought a horse foal that was injured by a ratman and bled to death. I'm going to have to butcher it now.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    DataranDataran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright; so I decided to start up a new fortress.

I have a nice area, adamantine, magma and even a chasm! So it all looks well.

I just begin digging when I get a huge invasion force! Ratmen and Antmen swarm over the sides and a giant cave spider follows them.

Not wanting to be harassed I send my lone axedwarf over to deal with the group of ratmen; and lo mightly did he kick rat butt.

He was on his way back to the main group when all of a sudden he was set upon by the giant cave spider; who proceeded to liquidate his brain and drain his body of precious fluids.

It was after this that the spider had developed a taste for dwarf blood and moved in on the rest of my settlers; slaughtering them to a dwarf.

Time to strike the earth again!

Dataran on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love how just about every single update from Stealtharcadia involves a dwarf dying a horrible death.

In other news, from the rubble of the first Elven caravan I adopted a Tame Hedgehog. The problem is that it's so small that it isn't listed on the nit list, but it is still available to be caged, so I know it's still alive. So, somewhere in my fort, a hedgehog is just roaming about. And a grizzly bear too. Adorable.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Equip your dorfs in fancy hats and monocles, assign some war dogs and let the hunt begin.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm sorry to report that Stealth Arcadia is currently laying at the bottom of my moat with a broken leg. Flooding will continue on schedule, the great design waits for no Dwarf.

For some reason nobody wants to help him. He just keeps standing up and passing out in agony. I'm overcome by the image of a desperate miner trying to claw his way out of a trench with shattered bones poking in all directions out of his leg, dead certain that nobody will help him and that if he doesn't get out soon, he'll be buried under tons of stagnant cave water.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Equip your dorfs in fancy hats and monocles, assign some war dogs and let the hunt begin.

"this monocle menaces with spikes of adamantium. on the monocle is an engraving of a grizzly bear hunting a hedgehog."

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    I'm sorry to report that Stealth Arcadia is currently laying at the bottom of my moat with a broken leg. Flooding will continue on schedule, the great design waits for no Dwarf.

For some reason nobody wants to help him. He just keeps standing up and passing out in agony. I'm overcome by the image of a desperate miner trying to claw his way out of a trench with shattered bones poking in all directions out of his leg, dead certain that nobody will help him and that if he doesn't get out soon, he'll be buried under tons of stagnant cave water.

Quickly, assign him a tomb before he dies! Engrave the walls with his sad tale!

In other, slightly related news, I've built about 30 coffins, and that still isn't enough, as I have to bury those damn merchants too.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I just realized the child I named Xzzy has the last name of "Tonguepaddle"

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    J3p the pesant has been taken by a fey mood! I'll add to this post as the situation progresses

*EDIT* He created some turtle shell leggings.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What can I say? I like the feeling of smooth turtle shell.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Worst. Ambush. Ever.

Three squads, one of axes, one of maces and one of hammers. The first to appear, the hammers, jumps a trapper. The trapper tears out the throat of his assailant and runs on fleet feet. The unathletic gobbos couldn't catch up, and instead turned back towards my fortress. Unfortunately, between them and the gates was a chap named Rhesus Positive. The squad leader was mauled beyond recognition, and two others were destroyed. One of them almost made it to safety, if it weren't for an excellently placed Steel Bolt from Stealtharcadia, which threw the stunned Gobbo to the ground, whereupon he was minced by Xzzy the Dual Swordsman (also Mayor of my fortress).

The rest simply ran off after that. Sheesh.

Edit: Holy shit, Rhesus Positive just smacked a Goblin Snatcher no less that twenty tiles along level ground.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm. I tried to play this the other night after a long hiatus from DF. The whole multiple level things confused the hell out of me, and while I was trying to work out how to change levels so I could dig, something ate my dwarves.

Stupid pause thing.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    blastblast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    He just keeps standing up and passing out in agony. I'm overcome by the image of a desperate miner trying to claw his way out of a trench with shattered bones poking in all directions out of his leg, dead certain that nobody will help him and that if he doesn't get out soon, he'll be buried under tons of stagnant cave water.

When possible, StealthArcadia prefers to consume your milkshake.
    daniel-day-lewis_427x321.jpg

blast on
    Hello, little man. I will destroy you!