As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Supertrip 2006, let's start planning now

tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
edited January 2006 in PAX Archive
Okay, so there was a few failures in communication, and overall disorganization this year, but all in all it turned out well. This next year we should focus on finding waypoint captains who are organized and can help spread the work around their waypoints about when we will be leaving that way there's more involvement.
I'd like to see 200 people on the supertrip this next year.

Some ideas:

Get people a CB, and get a channel on it, as that'll be more effective than GMRS radios.

Have a flagship vehicle and a tail vehicle so that no one gets too far ahead or left behind.

Official WCST logos for the cars printed out for people to purchase and affix.

tmonkey on

• t3h_sp00nt3h_sp00n Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    If there is one coming from the East Coast, I'll be there in my drop-top "Benz."

t3h_sp00n on
    QCbanner.png

sp00n loves you
  • cyraxwinscyraxwins Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    t3h_sp00n wrote:
    If there is one coming from the East Coast, I'll be there in my drop-top "Benz."

I called shotgun already.

For the record.

cyraxwins on
    style7,Cyrax-spc-Motherfucker.png
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I've been conferring with a few fellow BC'ers and there should be a BC Supertrip next year. Rally points could start in, say Prince George, and then the whole thing could end up in Victoria, where we could take the Clipper into Seattle, and have a party boat on the way there. PM me or SmallLady if you're interested

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • cyraxwinscyraxwins Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Trillian wrote:
    I've been conferring with a few fellow BC'ers and there should be a BC Supertrip next year. Rally points could start in, say Prince George, and then the whole thing could end up in Victoria, where we could take the Clipper into Seattle, and have a party boat on the way there. PM me or SmallLady if you're interested

i still wanna room with you

cyraxwins on
    style7,Cyrax-spc-Motherfucker.png
  • 1up1up Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    t3h_sp00n wrote:

Oh shit
    Oh shit

We NEED to do an EAST COAST super trip! I'll so be there!

1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    1up wrote:
    t3h_sp00n wrote:

Oh shit
    Oh shit

We NEED to do an EAST COAST super trip! I'll so be there!

Seeing as I'm now gainfully employed, maybe this time around I'll be able to afford to pull the damn thing off. We've already done quite a bit of planning trip-wise, just $$$ is the major trip-up. That and without said problem resolved, I only ever recieved one email about joining the trip.

Here's the thread we had for it. Hopefully it'll actually happen this year.

de4dmeta1 on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, we had a few organizational hang-ups this year, but I agree that it was a good run.

CB Radios
    The problem I see with CBs isn't in acquiring them (hell, I can't go to a Goodwill without seeing at least one), but in installing and testing them. They generally draw power from the car's electrical system, rather than batteries or battery packs, and I don't think the owners of every car are willing to stop by a car stereo place and spring $50+ for an install.

Also, the range of CB is 1-5 miles, whereas if we get better GMRS radios, we can have a 10+ mile range. On the other hand, listening to (and talking to) truckers on channel 19 is fun, as many long-past roadtrips with my grandparents can attest.

Flagships
    Yes. Given that my car can do about 75 absolute maximum before it starts to shake apart, I kept getting left behind. I don't want to hold everyone back, but it sucks for engine life to be racing for six hours straight. I think a head/tail car setup would help.

Stickers/Logos
    The color printouts ben184 brought this year worked pretty well, I must say. The stickers would just be added expense.

Other Suggestions
    -Change the Portland waypoint. The town center is okay, but it's difficult to get into or out of as a group. Add to that our need for gas and difficulty acquiring it. Here's a TA Truck Stop south of Wilsonville that looks good. (Google Maps).

-Formalize handles for radio communications, and require that drivers sign on with their handles, so we know who's talking. Dibs on "Rubber Duck".

-Every driver must have a cell phone for out-of-range communications, and enter it on a central sheet that is distributed to every other driver.

-Require a cell phone number from everyone, or at least a real name and info on where you're staying. Trying to find someone at a hotel when you don't know their real name sucks quite a bit.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Hey the bus speedo said 55 most of the trip. How fast were we really goin'?
    DocZero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Trillian wrote:

Given that Victoria has direct access to Seattle, and would be INCREDIBLY out of the way for anyone not from there, AND require that people not from victoria take TWO ferry trips with vehicles, I'd suggest that Victoria not be on the BC Supertrip route.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Heh, if the spedometer doesn't work anyway, you should rip out the normal guage markers and replace them with something PA/gaming related. Now you just need to get suggestions from the creative people on the forum. Replace my crappy ideas with good ones...

MPH
    20 - ?
    30 - ?
    40 - DON'T SPILL YOUR BAWLS
    50 - HOPE THE WHEELS STAY ON
    60 - I WILL FUCK YOUR DOG

DJBreslin on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

Given that Victoria has direct access to Seattle, and would be INCREDIBLY out of the way for anyone not from there, AND require that people not from victoria take TWO ferry trips with vehicles, I'd suggest that Victoria not be on the BC Supertrip route.

that and the victoria clipper is a passenger ferry... the reason the trip would have worked well for us Tirll is that you guys could walk on the the bcferry, then we could all take the clipper.

and i'm pretty sure that people comming from points north and east of vancouver wouldn't want to leave their cars behind and any points. :P

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • TypeOTypeO Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    The bus wasnt goin over 60ish the whole way. I was goin 65ish and kept losing you. By next year we will more than likely have either a new engine in it or a nice rebuild. Still wont go much over 60 unless we change the gears, but should get tehre faster. anyone on the supertrip should have no problem in keeping up with it pending they dont drive a 3cyl geo or somethin. I think we should take the bus down to CA and start the Supertrip to lead all the people up =) thats a loooooooot of gas tho.

TypeO on
    edited August 2005
    On the Portland-Seattle run, we held a reasonable 65MPH, occasionally slowing down to 55.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Trillian wrote:

We're up for that!

However, it'd be better to have 2 western canada trips - one vancouver island trip culminating in a Clipper ride, and one coming from say, Edmonton or Calgary and doing the I5 thing.

Ninto on
  • doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the idea DJ. I'll grab a GPS and calibrate up to "I will fuck your dog" for freeway speeds.

We were gettin 5 mpg. Thanks to all those that tipped us! The tips bought 1/3 of the gas for the trip.
    Doczero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Ninto wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

We're up for that!

However, it'd be better to have 2 western canada trips - one vancouver island trip culminating in a Clipper ride, and one coming from say, Edmonton or Calgary and doing the I5 thing.

We came from Lethbridge. You want to go Highway 3 to Cranbrook, and then down into Idaho via Yahk. Then its the 95 to the I90 and 300 miles of 80mph straight to the heart of Bellevue.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I am up for supertrip 2006. I originaly thought that waking up at 4 am for the 6 AM Sac waystop was way to early for me but then after making the 13 hour drive alone that sucked even worse.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • TypeOTypeO Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I'm sure the gas milage will get better on the bus after we rebuild the engine. We should be able to pull 15-20 pretty easily with a nice small carb. It realy would be cool to lead the supertrip with it from the beginning if gas prices arent 5$ by then.

TypeO on
  • SPAMZILLASPAMZILLA Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    WCST arriving in seattle on thursday and leaving monday is insane for anyone with gainful employment/school.

I want desperately to be involved in in next year but that monday leave date is the absolute killer.

Maybe we can have smaller faster Super Trips that run along side the main WCST. I'm only coming from Vancouver, WA so its not that much of a deal to get to and from in 2 hours doing a decent clip.

SPAMZILLA on
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    TypeO wrote:
    I'm sure the gas milage will get better on the bus after we rebuild the engine. We should be able to pull 15-20 pretty easily with a nice small carb. It realy would be cool to lead the supertrip with it from the beginning if gas prices arent 5$ by then.

Maybe get a diesel...but that would take up alot of room and drown out anything going on inside the bus.

Hey, if you guys need help working on the bus or even with the GTA itself, let me know. I'm not a full-flegd mechanic, but i'm an extra set of hands that can help with whatever.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • ben184ben184 Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I agree with:
    • Flagship and tail vehicles
    • GMRS radios; longer range, but requires a license(?)
    • Radio handles; the audio quality is poor on the radios, and half the time I didn't know who has talking.
    • Portland waypoint; it splits up the group every year. The traffic in that area is ridiculous.
    • Contact info; not just for captains. Both years, it was a rider we needed to contact. We will definitely make it clear that it is your responsibilty to be on time for your ride.
    • Bus or van from SoCal
    I disagree with:
    • CB radios; too expensive, one-time use, not so portable, and the FRS radios worked.
    • Leaving earlier; drivers were already sleep deprived. Pushing it anymore is dangerous. If you have work and school (like I did) then get the time off, or choose an alternate method to get to PAX. I guess if there's enough interest, the "faster" WCST could work.
    I would also change the Sacramento waypoint. It's too far off the I-5, and there are no gas stations or food in the area. The only thing there (Fry's) is closed at that hour.

Also, we need larger vehicles. I WILL get a 7 passenger van for next year. If you don't have access to a larger vehicle, Hertz will rent a van for $60 a day. Maybe there's an even cheaper way?

ben184 on
    edited September 2005
    I get the feeling from reading articles on the subject that licensing for the GMRS/FRS band is about as 'required' as the CB system's broadcast power limits were 'mandatory'. The stores sell them with a wink, a nod, and a "Go license it NoWz!" note in the box to cover their own asses, but that it's not seriously expected that you pay per-year.

We need to start looking for a Portland waypoint that can still be reached by bus, but is outside the city proper.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • SPAMZILLASPAMZILLA Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    ctishman wrote:
    We need to start looking for a Portland waypoint that can still be reached by bus, but is outside the city proper.

There are a couple MAX terminals that are not too far from freeways. MAX is the local light-raile system and its pretty widely used. There are a couple stations off I-205 which is the better bet in terms of crossing the Columbia river during any kind of traffic as it always runs smoothly. One that is actually pretty easy to get to is close to the airport with easy on-off access to 205. One downside is there is nothing really there, so waiting might potentially suck. Another super easy on-off is the Expo center P&R or Delta Park P&R. These stations are Park and Rides so they have good entry for buses and lots of cars, plus its lies just off I-5 so if you don't want the hassle of changing freeways its a bonus. Downside is that its on I-5 so if you hit Portland around rush hour, prepare for crap traffic from about city center to the bridge.

This is probably to early to actually be dealing with all this information tho...

SPAMZILLA on
    edited September 2005
    I will take it upon myself to help organize an East-Coast Supertrip. I would love to have a huge caravan of nerds going across the country. Some raping and pillaging, but most certainly some level of marauding and/or piracy. Anyone up for wardriving across the country to PAX?

t3h_sp00n on
    QCbanner.png

sp00n loves you
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Maybe the East Coast Super Trip should just all meet up at the same airport and get on the same plane? 'Cause flying would be easier than trying to drive cross country for a week.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Going over to the island for a BC supertrip really doesn't make much sense. What does make sense is for people to join the group at the Tswwassen ferry terminal. I picked someone up there in my truck and it worked pretty well.

GeeCee on
    edited September 2005
    Maybe the East Coast Super Trip should just all meet up at the same airport and get on the same plane? 'Cause flying would be easier than trying to drive cross country for a week.

Don't kill my dream! You are an evil little goblin-monkey.

t3h_sp00n on
    QCbanner.png

sp00n loves you
    edited September 2005
    t3h_sp00n wrote:
    I will take it upon myself to help organize an East-Coast Supertrip. I would love to have a huge caravan of nerds going across the country. Some raping and pillaging, but most certainly some level of marauding and/or piracy. Anyone up for wardriving across the country to PAX?
    Hell, I'm up for wardriving across the country, then back across the country for PAX.
    This exact suggestion came up last year. :lol:

de4dmeta1 on
    edited September 2005
    Then it's settled. The East Coast Supertrip will be a caravan of nerds raiding the nation of it's WiFi on the way to best expo/con ever made. I think it goes without saying that this will rock.

t3h_sp00n on
    QCbanner.png

sp00n loves you
    edited September 2005
    t3h_sp00n wrote:
    Then it's settled. The East Coast Supertrip will be a caravan of nerds raiding the nation of it's WiFi on the way to best expo/con ever made. I think it goes without saying that this will rock.
    Just keep reminding me not to blow all my money on Warhammer, y'know, so I can actually get down there and back :wink:

de4dmeta1 on
    edited September 2005
    Just keep reminding me not to blow all my money on Warhammer, y'know, so I can actually get down there and back :wink:[/quote]

Will do. And remind me not to blow all my money on smack and cheap whores. At least not until I get to Seattle anyway.

t3h_sp00n on
    QCbanner.png

sp00n loves you
    edited September 2005
    t3h_sp00n wrote:
    Will do. And remind me not to blow all my money on smack and cheap whores. At least not until I get to Seattle anyway.

After you're in Seattle, it just becomes another part of the travel budget. 8)

de4dmeta1 on
    edited September 2005
    In Seattle, nothing is cheap.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    ctishman wrote:
    In Bellevue, nothing is cheap.

Fix'd.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    ctishman wrote:
    In Seattle, nothing is cheap.

Perhaps you haven't seen our women...

duderdude2 on
    edited September 2005
    I'm gonna go with Legacy's fix as the correct one. I haven't spent that much time in the downtown core.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Got it! We shall have a Mainland BC Supertrip, and an Island Supertrip.

The two trips could meet up before PAX, and get together for dinner. If we're having a Great Canadian (and Cyrax too) room, then we could drop all our stuff in there at once, and then we may rock and roll all night, and perhaps even party every day (k I'm a dork)

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    i should arrange to go to my victoria house during the expo sos id be really closeby already

Deusfaux on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I would be interested in meeting up with people for a trip down from BC

b0wser on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2005
    Trillian wrote:

errr thats pretty flawed, the ferry cost way to freaking much for a super trip to take it, maybe the few islanders come to tswassen and we meet up in Ladner. then the highway straight from there

Unknown User on