As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, the season has started back up again, huh? :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Darkspace went free to play, you are able to get up to 1st admiral.

http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?lang=en&sid=&module=home.php

Morkath on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Earth Eternal is in open beta now (no more character wipes). Nothing too special gameplay-wise, though the developer's MUD roots are showing when it comes to skill trees and multiclassing. I also rather like their "copy one item's stats to another item's looks" feature.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure what the game is all about, though.

Dark Space
    Space MMO that recently went F2P. Fly around in a spaceship and blow up other players or work together with more players to take over space stations and stuff.

Aldo on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darkspace looks interesting, any opinions on it?

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I haven't played for years.

But basically you have 3 factions, humans1, humans2, and alien species.

Humans1 are the average race, humans2 are the shield race, slightly more defensive than offensive. Alien race is cloaking/regen.

You fight to control the different planets, building them up in order to produce the parts you need to equip your ships. There is also mining resources and transporting stuff from planet to planet.

The population is probably pretty low at this point, which I am assuming is why they are finally adding free accounts in to boost the population. But I think they added in AI recently so should still be stuff to do.

I'll probably install and mess with it later today, but it used to be pretty fun.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hell with it I'm jumpin' into darkspace, if anyones goin say what server and faction.

I'll tell what I'm doin' if no one else has a pick by the time Downloads finished.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll be going, I think ICC.

The faction with shields. I think there is only the one server*.

e: One server that anyone plays on.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright lemme eat this pizza then I'll get to installing and whatnot, you know which server that is?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright lemme eat this pizza then I'll get to installing and whatnot, you know which server that is?

youll wanna start on the newbie server

characters transfer between, I think.

e:
    To upgrade your ship.

Orbit(o) a friendly planet, preferably a built up one.
    Turn off the device if it is on(left click on it)
    Right click the device
    Select your upgrade from the right, above the description.

PFE drives are good for energy.

Gauss Guns - Shorter range, faster firing.
    Rail Guns - Longer range, slower firing.
    IT missile - Longer range, slower firing.
    AR missile - shorter range, faster firing, more ammo.
    Sabot - not homing, short range, same ammo as AR.
    chemical laser - short range, not sure on damage.
    pulse beam - low damage, fast firing. good for PD.

Too assign weapon groups, right click on the weapon then press a number.

Morkath on
  • Options
    RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Valkyrie Sky is about to start another Closed Beta in one week. It only require an account and the client can be downloaded somewhere in the official forums.

For those who don't know what it is, Valkyrie Sky is a MMO SHMUP that was temporally held by gamengame in early 2009. They had a Closed Beta in February and has been looking for a publisher since. Well, they found one eventually and after the all the paperworks and everything, they are launching an english closed beta.

Old Website

The game itself is pretty fun. Typical stat building, lots of skills, small player target with one hit deaths, but a good difficulty curve. The graphics aren't too great, though. Weight and fatigue system might not be too enjoyable, but the fatigue is recoverable over time/methods and it won't bother low levels any bit.

This is going by the previous beta, of course. They're gonna introduce PVP in this beta and a bunch of other stuff.

Rollout on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cheers, Rollout. Ima change the url on the list. I don't think I have much time for videogames next week, but maybe I'll poke my head in.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was in the last valkyrie sky beta, it was a lot of fun.

Morkath on
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    I was in the last valkyrie sky beta, it was a lot of fun.

Amen to that. I've been waiting for this game to return for a long time. It's not often that you actually see an innovative MMO from Korea, cherish it :D

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I can't play that darkspace, thought It was gonna be more freelance less lance bass.

Although you say that Shmup sky is worth a damn so, lets give that a shot.

If you wanna get the client you go here on their forum.

oh can't link the thread, news & announements, client download on the top.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Downloading the client now, 11% in. Though I'm curious as to if the servers are actually up, or if they are just allowing downloads.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There is a server time watch, I just don't know why they won't let you download from the main page until the 21st.

Isn't it considered in closed beta, but just having an account you can play.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Installin

Does not look like I can launch valk sky from here or the gamekisslauncher

edit: oh fuck, duder says it starts in one week right next to the website link.

so shit can't play it now.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Installin

Does not look like I can launch valk sky from here or the gamekisslauncher

edit: oh fuck, duder says it starts in one week right next to the website link.

so shit can't play it now.

thats rough

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Its pretty rough, and they offer no game that isn't boring as fuck or lame as shit.

Back to square one, we got anything else thats worth looking at?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Its pretty rough, and they offer no game that isn't boring as fuck or lame as shit.

Back to square one, we got anything else thats worth looking at?
    Bothered with Dungeons&Dragons Online yet?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Played the trial when the game was first out, and the stress test for DDO or open beta, whatever it was.

Wasn't good and didn't get better.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh what, Valkyrie Sky is back?

Man I had a lot of fun with the other beta, can't wait to play that thing again.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, what I liked about Valkyrie Sky was that it actually had a bit of difficulty to it, even from the beginning. Some of those bosses were pretty tough :D

zanmatto on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zanmatto wrote: »
    Honestly, what I liked about Valkyrie Sky was that it actually had a bit of difficulty to it, even from the beginning. Some of those bosses were pretty tough :D

Unless you went in as swordman. But even then it took a bit of strategy to get past later stages where they just threw everything and the kitchen sink at you.

Any other classes though, oh boy. I'm kind of thankful for my slight Touhou upbringing there. Not enough for OH GOD MATRIX BULLET WEAVING HAX skills, but enough to not fucking freeze when I see incoming death my way.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Unless you went in as swordman. But even then it took a bit of strategy to get past later stages where they just threw everything and the kitchen sink at you.

Any other classes though, oh boy. I'm kind of thankful for my slight Touhou upbringing there. Not enough for OH GOD MATRIX BULLET WEAVING HAX skills, but enough to not fucking freeze when I see incoming death my way.
    For another kind of easy mode at low levels, the summoner class was there. You get to focus entirely on dodging bullets between spamming PUMA, PUMA, PUMA on the enemies. Not that I did that. >.> <.< >.> At least not all the time.

Of course, that's of low use when the screen is filled with bullets, which eventually happen quite often in one single stage, and that there's only one or two summoner skills which can clear bullets. I couldn't make it far past level 20 without a party.

Rollout on
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Valkyrie Sky coming back? That was awesome, sign me up.

I've been messing around a little with Dungeon Fighter Online ( http://dungeonfighter.nexon.net/ ) this past week, it's an instanced dungeon beat-em-up. Not as graphically polished as Dragonica, but the more spritey look it has isn't bad. I don't quite grok the MMO beat-em-up genre as a whole, and I'm not far enough in to have seen many of the skills, so... there's enough skill variety that I wouldn't call it obviously bad, and I'm not sure what "good" is yet.

Edit: Oh, I was looking in "MMOs" instead of "Promising Titles". So FYI, DFO has an English website now.

Mith on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »

The dungeon you could do at level 25 (i think) was pretty brutal. It was a huge boss rush, with some really nasty patterns inside. It was a breeze with an archer + swordsman, and a real pain in the ass to solo (but fun :)

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Moved DFO to the regular list. Amazingly without running into the max characters limit.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Guru tried DFO awhile ago and said that everyone in the lobby or whatever was just gunner, and if you weren't a gunner you were a cleric? I think it is, but there was like one cleric.

So I am asking how is this? are the other classes useless or what is happening there.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The other classes are great. The gunner is very specialized, in my opinion. Also, the bullets travel on set paths, meaning you're doing alot of maneuvering to get into position to hit something.

It gets even more specialized after you class change into the gunners advanced classes. You either become a pet class, a pistoleer, or a sub-weapons spammer.

Personally, I think the fighter is the best. You don't have much health, but you can output an absurd amount of damage to the point where you can stunlock some bosses.

The fighter's advanced classes are all about locking down a target, and/or doing absurd amounts of damage, or tricking your foes into being useless. The game rewards you for not taking damage, so you had might as well go for the class that'll obliterate things the fastest, and just rely on speed to keep yourself alive.

The slayer is nice, but it's very slow and MP reliant, so you're liable to run out of MP midway through dungeons. Pretty much all of the class changes seem awesome, but i'm unsure of their actual practicality.

The Cleric can bludgeon things to death with a giant crucifix and heal themselves and other group-mates. He also looks like the Battlepope. That alone should sell you on the concept if you're interested in being the guy every group wants.

Not sure what the mage can do, actually. Probably lots of AOE ranged damage.

Personally, I think most of the kids choose the Gunner because it looks like Vash from Trigun. The avatar is a dead ringer for him, especially if you shell out money to change his look. It'd account for the ripoff names I saw when I tested the game out, too.

If DFO has a weakness, it's that leveling is too slow to keep you entertained if you play solo, and that the community is about as fragmented and disorganized as any free MMO community is. As a result, getting a group together is damn near impossible.

The game's based around running hard dungeons (Which are really just randomly generated side-scroller-esque levels.) with a group. Playing by yourself is boring. Though, if you were to get a group together, i'm sure it'd be great fun.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, he said everyone looked the same and nearly everyone played as Gunner because they were the strongest. I try to shy away from noting these problems in my list because with one small patch it can change drastically (see for example: every WoW patch ever :P).

Aldo on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only thing the gunner really has going for it is that, early on, enemies don't attack that often, meaning you can just stunlock everything at range.

Once you hit the second set of dungeons, you'll start seeing enemies that spam ranged and melee attacks rapidly in constantly increasing numbers, until you're fighting up to a dozen of them at a time, meaning you're better off playing backline offense in a group at that point.

That's also why I like the fighter, because you're always just one jump-kick and a suplex away from taking out half of the enemies on-screen, provided you know to how to combo things into the ground.

When I played, I think they had just started the game up, so that'd account for the lack of different character looks. You have to pay money to change your look, which seems like a gip to me, so I never really explored that facet of the game too much.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Added:

The Mobster
    Mafia management sim.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And another one from GK

NIDA
    Fast-paced 'action' MMO. They're proud of their good looks and constant rewards for playing, but I can't figure out what it is you actually do in the game.

Aldo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    And another one from GK

NIDA
    Fast-paced 'action' MMO. They're proud of their good looks and constant rewards for playing, but I can't figure out what it is you actually do in the game.

judging by the videos on youtube, you walk around while everything is obscured by giant scrolling combat text

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    And another one from GK

NIDA

judging by the videos on youtube, you walk around while everything is obscured by giant scrolling combat text

:lol: sounds like fun

Aldo on
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alganon Fileplanet beta: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/alganon/?_cmpid=fp191

It's very, very not worth it. It's an incredibly unpolished WoW clone. I get incredibly annoyed when people call a game a WoW clone, but: http://www.coldheat.de/archiv/bilder/games/alganon-screen.jpg

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Why the hell didn't anyone tell me about the Dungeon Keeper mmo.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    Alganon Fileplanet beta: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/alganon/?_cmpid=fp191

It's very, very not worth it. It's an incredibly unpolished WoW clone. I get incredibly annoyed when people call a game a WoW clone, but: http://www.coldheat.de/archiv/bilder/games/alganon-screen.jpg
    not a free game.

Also, yes that looks a lot like wow.

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.