As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] Now with 60% more jigs

1565758596062»

• Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Finally got SAM to 56. Need to work on my AF sometime, and then farm for some new equipment.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't played monk yet, and I'm a novice at everything else, so haven't really partied with them... so I can't give you any real oppinion on them at all. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Got my WAR to 13... think I'm gonna go try to get into a party again tonight. Played BLM up to level 5... not sure if I'm doing it right... do you pretty much just exhaust your MP on every pull, then rest and do it again? I've been trying to switch from blind/poison/stone/water, trying to level up enfeebling and elemental evenly (it's not working, elemental is at 11 and enfeebling is at 4...) Just wanna make sure I'm not missing some key point here.

Also... would anyone recommend duo'ing as a WHM? From what I understand -nobody- parties below 10, but I really don't want to fight very easy's all the way to 10.

I'm itching to try out RDM, but I don't wanna stretch myself too thin... I really wanna get my WAR to 18 and open my sub job up... and level thief. That's the plan anyway.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, depending on your race the lower levels are easier or harder for blm and whm because of your mana pool.

At the same time though in relative terms, you really shouldn't be relying soley on your spells < 10. Enemies are weak enough, and you're "strong" enough to be able to melee fair enough to 10 with little problem.

Im elvaan, and have been working on whm and blm this week to get ready for the static we're starting and I usually run each battle like this (depending on my level, and how hard the enemy cons)

as BLM:
    Blind (or bind after level 7)
    Poison
    Dia (if you have your sub as whm)
    Melee

If it's a humanoid monster, like a goblin or orc I'll toss a water or stone (depending) to speed up the battle. This way I can usually go 4-5 DC/EP con mobs before having to rest again. So ~300-400 xp per rest. It works pretty well.

As a whm I'd:

Paralyze
    Blind
    Dia
    Poison
    melee

WHM can get a stronger hammer lower level than BLM can so meleeing is a bit easier. Add in the shield WHM can use and thier a bit higher (I think) str than blm and the meleeing is more successful.

And even if you don't have your subjob yet you can just make sure you're keeping the debuffs up as they expire, if the battles last long enough.

I tend to not use nukes unless the enemy is harder than I expected, to burn down HP to where I can melee the rest of the way, or otherwise if I know I'll more or less one shot an EP (water on a worm), I'll take the "free" xp.

This is for an elvaan.

As a taru (my last character was a taru whm/blm) your mana pool at those levels is a fair chunk larger, toss in an apple pie now and then and you can replace a lot of that meleeing with an extra spell cast and it won't slow you down much more. But taru can still do the melee at that low level for the whm/blm because you do so little damage that you'll end up doing like 6 damage instead of 9.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is don't rely totally, solo 1-10, on your spells even as a caster. You might not melee nearly as fast as say a monk, but you'll do enough to have your DOT's handle the rest.

Having said that though, it's just purely my opinion but I think the caster classes are way easier to level once you have your sub. Even if it means 18 levels of mnk or war just to plow through to your subs, having access to both blm and whm spells, even the low level enfeebling ones, makes things much smoother.

Another option is to do RDM to 18. You'll still be able to melee quite a bit, you'll get your lower level "starter" spells, some skill points in spells and get used to casting timing in battles, etc. And RDM makes a perfectly fine sub for whm and/or blm for 1-10.

Just a few thoughts. Take it for what you will.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    In case it hasn't been said yet:

NEVER THROW AWAY BEASTMAN SEALS

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    speaking of; I've never done a BCNM. Are any of the lvl 20 cap ones worthwhile? They're pretty difficult I would imagine.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I've got about 30 seals in storage at this point. I don't know much about Burning Circle Notorious Monsters... (in case anyone was wondering what BCNM stood for) but I did the 'Save the Children' mission and ended up in a very small arena with a chief orc and two archer orcs... from what I understand it's like that. I was 11 and completely owned all three as a warrior, so take from that what you will.

Thanks for the advice on the WHM/BLM too.

Oh, and I'm Elvaan too.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    So I picked up monk for a bit. I'm level 20 and I love it, and maybe I'll take it to 75 after I get black mage there

I've heard that later on they're really good, but I've also heard that later on they're terrible (depending on the source, they're either "hands-down the best DPS in the game" or "inferior novelty job with no use in the endgame")

Basically, my question is "are monks pretty good"

(I find the idea of a tarutaru punching things that are much bigger than him endlessly entertaining, so I'll probably stick with it regardless)

Man, who is telling you that monk is a novelty job; are they from 2003? They must be

Monks are really versatile because you get a tank and efficient damage dealer in one package at 75. All the haste gear they have access to and their subtle blow trait makes 'em a great job to have at XP or most end game activities

Before 75 they're not so great at tanking, but they still dish out a lot of damage

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh shit am I main tank now? I have a 2h axe but I'll admit my 1h and shield is still dated, plus the skill for 1h is crap.
    What should I do?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    go to Ronfaure and hit some crabs at the lake for a bit.

EDIT: Also, damn worms all dropping copper and not zinc. Don't they know I need Norg rep?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    My 13 WAR has 1-H axe and shield maxed... I'm just sayin. :P

Hopefully I can get in a good party tonight and hit 15. That would be sweet. Am I dreaming? Only plan (emphasis on plan) to play for 3 hours.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    just depends on if you can get a party quickly or not. 13-15 in 3 hours is easy peasy if you're in an even halfway decent party.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    Oh shit am I main tank now? I have a 2h axe but I'll admit my 1h and shield is still dated, plus the skill for 1h is crap.
    What should I do?

Equipment is not a problem.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    What should I do?

Equipment is not a problem.

oh I misread that; I thought he said his skill in 1h is crap.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    He did, but I am willing to bet if he doesn't have the skill up he hasn't been upgrading equipment either.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He did, but I am willing to bet if he doesn't have the skill up he hasn't been upgrading equipment either.

Actually everything else is fully geared.
    Got a lvl 12 greataxe to replace my current lvl 8 2 hander.
    Also have Royal Footman's armor.
    So yeah everything, but the shield and 1h.
    I've been upgrading my equipment and my skill, just not the one hander.

Smashism on
  • Options
    Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    speaking of; I've never done a BCNM. Are any of the lvl 20 cap ones worthwhile? They're pretty difficult I would imagine.

It depends on jobs mainly. More then most of the others, the 20 BCNMs seem to be very specialized.

The one in Palaborough (sp) is 3 crabs and is pretty easy with NIN, RDM/NIN, RDM/NIN. The crabs all have very low hp but they take very little damage and can drain back hp. Along with that, the big one casts Waterga which can hurt at 20. The RDM/NIN setup allows you to enthunder for extra damage and wield 2 fast daggers. I use Platoon and Beestinger. This BC drops a mannequin body 100% of the time.

Ghelsba Outpost has one with 3 bats. The easiest strat involves BSTs charming the smaller bats and attacking the bigger one. DRGs seem to excel in this one as well. This can drop an Astral Ring.

The one in Giddeus is 3 leeches. Not sure on the strat though looking through wiki a heavily medded melee-burn type strat may work. This one drops Mannequin Hands 100%.

Horlais Peak has 3 pugils. The most common strat is to have a couple SMNs use Ramuh and Astral Flow. This one drops Mannequin Head 100%.

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The one with the bats was pretty hard for the party I went with. Failed it twice.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    1h has been skilled. Ready for group tonight.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I've got whm at 12 and blm at 10 now so I'm good to go for probably a few weeks of this.

Gonna get blm to 17 though anyway just so I can have warp.

I'll post here if I get off early from work, on my way in in a few.

My mule is camping at the bastok AH with his bazaar up; if you see my account on today, that's why.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doing the purple belt quest because I figure I ought to

Level 73 black mage all subbing level 1 ranger so I can use widescan to get the jump on the claim for Lumbering Lambert

If he'd ever show up, that is

Instead it's the regular rams whose skins and horns I no longer have inventory space for

If there is one thing I hate about this game it is camping NMs

EDIT: Lumbering Horn GET! Now for the other one

EDIT 2: damn, that barely took any time at all. Rampaging Horn GET

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/2008_-_(08/22/08)_Regarding_Specific_Notorious_Monsters

So the way I am reading this is that they hadn't beat it after 18 hours because they were just doing it wrong, and that the dev's will be changing to fight a bit to make sure that can't screw up that bad again.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/2008_-_(08/22/08)_Regarding_Specific_Notorious_Monsters

So the way I am reading this is that they hadn't beat it after 18 hours because they were just doing it wrong, and that the dev's will be changing to fight a bit to make sure that can't screw up that bad again.

I figured that was the case in the first place. No matter how masochistic one might think SE is, there's no way that was intended.

In other news I got off work way early, so we can start earlier if ya'll would like.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I figured that was the case in the first place. No matter how masochistic one might think SE is, there's no way that was intended.

In other news I got off work way early, so we can start earlier if ya'll would like.

I have a feeling that the 'adjustment' will amount to the type of deal where if it's claimed for over a certain amount of time, it'll start spamming stuff to end the fight quickly.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Perhaps I am defective, but I can't seem to dredge up the remotest iota of sympathy.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Perhaps I am defective, but I can't seem to dredge up the remotest iota of sympathy.

Ditto. Of course I'm a fairly un-empathetic person to begin with.

If you're going to sit there and camp a NM for 14+ hours for a single belt, that's your choice; don't mope about it and expect any sympathy.

>.>

Or fight a boss for 18 hours. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Static start time in 30 minutes

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sage Sundi, Square-Enix Dolt/Whipping Boy, has mentioned in interviews that Absolute Virtue takes around eighteen hours to fight in its current form, not counting time spent fighting the Jailer of Love. Ten hours if the players get incredibly lucky with Absolute Virtue's skill usage.

The developers are fucking bonkers. It was intended.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Great jam session this week every one: Next Friday everyone be at Zeruhn Mines at 9PM EST; 6PM PST, and be ready to go. Level range is 14, 13, 12; although it looks like we are all 14. Bring rings if you use them, and those who fall behind by not having them or by dieing during the session will have the rest of the week to make sure they are within range for the next week.

Plan to stay for 2 hours.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hit 41RDM today, learned Refresh and my next day off is going to be spent getting my af sword. My brother, a 60BLU, is gonna help me with it so it shouldn't take long.

RavynBlackheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll make the new thread tomorrow and Sunday if that's cool with Grinnin. It'll be a good excuse to reformat my FAQ.

Smashism on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have at it

I have some screenshots if you need anything to fluff up the OP with

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    End game screens with lots of cool armor and big explosions. You know the type.
    Pretty much it'll be similar to your OP which is well done already.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If I ever do the monk belt quests, you have my permission to shoot me.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I'm at that level in my monk career now (level 25)

Supposedly I can pretty much wear the Republic Subligar from here until endgame if I take it that far

PROS:
    + Attack + 5 is an excellent enhancement
    + I'll never have to spend gil on leg equipment again

CONS:
    - IT'S A SUBLIGAR and it's not even the kind of subligar where I get to wear pants underneath (see bone/beetle subligar)
    - I'm a tarutaru so I look even worse wearing it
    - it's like 20k on the auction house

I wonder if I can get away with using my RSE pants at level 31 (probably not, I would imagine +5 attack trumps +1 strength and 21 extra HP)
    If I ever do the monk belt quests, you have my permission to shoot me.

Purple Belt actually wasn't so bad, but I expect this is because one of the ram NMs I had to kill was walking around unclaimed when I zoned in

Ranger sub (even at level 1) is a godsend, to be sure

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Morbolger time of death: 2 minutes ago.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
This discussion has been closed.