As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Activision and Blizzard to merge

• Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope this means we'll start seeing blizzard games on STEAM:winky:

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    jynxycat wrote: »
    The people making the biggest fuss about this are those that have no idea what a publisher is, and what a developer is.

Blizzard is a developer. They have been owned by Vivendi for quite some time. Vivendi itself is a massive corporate entity. WoW has existed under this corporate entity for 3 years. Amazing huh ?

Other dev teams like Neversoft, Infinity Ward, Ravensoft and recently aquired Bizarre Creations all operate under Activision, and have produced perfectly fine games.
    :P

what game from Bizarre was released by Activision?

Nothing at all. Recently they've been all over the board, but then Activision came out and snatched them up. They're doing The Club(And previously Metropolis Street Racer) for Sega, Project Gotham Racing for Microsoft, Boom Boom Rocket for EA, and oversaw Geometry Wars: Galaxies for Sierra. The activision buyout of them was really unexpected.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Blizzard should never let anyone touch their IPs. Sierra and the Diablo 'expansion'? Never again.

I actually kind of enjoyed the expansion.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Blizzard should never let anyone touch their IPs. Sierra and the Diablo 'expansion'? Never again.

Actually, with a large chunk of the Diablo team having left Blizzard, I wouldn't mind seeing Raven Software try their hand at a Diablo game. I thoroughly enjoyed X-Men Legends, X-Men Legends 2, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and with Activision having lost the rights to a lot of Marvel characters, a Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is unlikely at this point. But their development team, overseen by Blizzard and their standards of polish, could probably make a pretty damn awesome Diablo 3.

But I am going to call one thing right now. Guitar Hero 4 will have Level 80 Elite Tauren Chieftain, and possibly an unlockable Horde band.

I could go with that. I would love to see the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance gameplay refined some more and used in different genres.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Huh? I thought Hellfire was actually pretty good. The monk was my favourite class.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    VytaeVytae Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inglorious Coyote wrote:
    Do we know Vivendi will get a controlling interest? I just heard it say they would be the largest single shareholder, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd have a controlling stake.

I'm pretty sure holding 52% of the stock is what I'd call a controlling interest.

Dang bottom paging.

So, this isn't really Activision and Blizzard merging at all, then, it's "Vivendi buys Activision, disguises it as a merger".

Pretty much. And yes guildwars was successful,but 2 million of free subscriptions is not even in the same damned reality of 8 million PAID subscriptions.

The way i see this,is that if anything internally Blizzard gains more clout with vivendi and such,even if only superficially. This could actually result in an increase of Blizzard goodness.

And lets be realistic,didnt WoW alone bring in over a billion for 2006? thats over 25% of what the mergers estimated intake will be. Blizzard can do whatever the fruck it wants within the bounds of reason. people leave companies,specially gamer peoples. Even the best company slowly sheds people who simply leave because they want to do their own thing.

Vytae on
  • Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    *Picture of Darth vader going Noooooooo!!!!*

You have put in picture form the exact same thing that went through my mind when I read the title.

Please tell me my favourite game company won't start making bad cash-in games. Please. :(

I hope this won't affect Blizzard, though I do see it as a weird move. I mean, Blizzard is pretty much rich and has a huge budget. Why merge?

Edit: "The're rich and have a lot of monies!" Damn, I'm a literary genius.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm REALLY, REALLY late to this thread, but:
    Wow, this is really big.
    BBC wrote:
    The companies behind Call of Duty and World of Warcraft are merging in a deal which could shake up the global video games industry.

Activision and Blizzard have said they will form "the world's most profitable games business" in a deal worth $18.8bn (£9.15bn).

Activision were already closing the gap with EA - this surely makes them the biggest games publisher in the world?
    BBC wrote:
    As part of the merger plan, Blizzard will invest $2bn in the new company, while Activision is putting up $1bn.

The merged business will be called Activision Blizzard and its chief executive will be Activision's current CEO Bobby Kotick. Vivendi will be the biggest shareholder in the group.

Jean-Bernard Levy, Vivendi chief executive, said: "This alliance is a major strategic step for Vivendi and is another illustration of our drive to extend our presence in the entertainment sector. By combining Vivendi's games business with Activision, we are creating a worldwide leader in a high-growth industry."

The two firms are hoping that their different strengths will combine to form a business which is powerful on every gaming platform and in every territory. Blizzard is strong in Asia, where its Starcraft series has proved hugely popular. Starcraft, a strategy game first released in 1998, is played by millions of South Koreans in gaming cyber-cafes, and by professional gamers on television.

Activision has developed a presence on all three new generation game consoles - Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii - with franchises such as Spider-Man and X-Men. The games software industry has been through turbulent years, with companies changing ownership and going in and out of business in rapid succession.

Activision was formed in 1979 and went through bankruptcy and a series of alliances and mergers before becoming successful. Blizzard had been through a number of owners before ending up in the hands of Vivendi in 1998.

The biggest player in the industry remains Electronic Arts, the firm behind such titles as the Sims and the Fifa football games. But the emergence of a powerful well-funded rival in Activision Blizzard could trigger a new upheaval in the industry, with smaller players being gobbled up by the giants.

Actually, both you and the BBC have it wrong: Activision already overtook EA earlier this year:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/24/activision-overtakes-ea-as-top-third-party-publisher/
    http://www.central-it.de/html/news/internationale_news/6386267/index.html
    http://www.destructoid.com/activision-rocks-ea-s-face-off-becomes-the-top-third-party-36258.phtml?kb

EA is expected to re-overtake them at the end of this year, but It's a close call, with EA's Rock Band and Medal of Honor Airborne going up against Call of Duty 4 and Guitar Hero 3.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I've made a chart to better explain the situation:

activisionblizzardba2.gif

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Plus Blizzard Activision isn't the best brand name for products that mostly come out during the holidays. A little too close to blizzard activation.

Sam on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    If I recall correctly, ERTS had the larger market cap, but ATVI had the greater revenue.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    143999 wrote: »
    Everybody's freaking out, but has anyone mentioned how this makes World of Guitarcraft a possibility?

LF Bassist for Ragefire Chasm and gtg!

Heh.

Anyways, as has been pointed out by others, this merger is really between Vivendi Games and Activision. They are just using the name Blizzard in the merger. Why? Well because they can and Blizzard obviously has more star-power name recognition than Vivendi Games.

So the only way that this will mess up Blizzard games is if you think that the other shareholders besides Vivendi (which is the biggest shareholder) get a bug up their butt and and decide to throw their weight around. But why would they do this? Blizzard has been a very *financially* successful company, so why would the higher-ups muck around with it, in particular going against the biggest shareholder? They wouldn't.

If anything, I see the Activision side of things changing, since Vivendi is the largest shareholder. But I don't think any changes will become apparent for some time yet. So, please guys, call off the hounds and lynchmobs.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bigwah wrote: »

Don't forget to leave out the important bit, where before, Vivendi controlled VU Games and now, Vivendi controls Activision Blizzard.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

Don't forget to leave out the important bit, where before, Vivendi controlled VU Games and now, Vivendi controls Activision Blizzard.

And Bizarre Creations needs to go on that list for fucks sake.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

And Bizarre Creations needs to go on that list for fucks sake.

We need more Vespene Gas!

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    The moment Blizzard makes a console-exclusive game, the shit will hit the fan.

They already tried that once; see StarCraft: Ghost.

Also, they started out as console developers back in the day.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    bloodwingsbloodwings Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so the new warcraft expansion is going to be in mono?

bloodwings on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Pugnate wrote: »
    Who wants a bet that five years from now we will be reminiscing about the days when Blizzard was a great company?

People have been doing that since the days of Warcraft III
    Rolo wrote: »
    Also, for as much as I remember that this isn't supposed to change anything, do you remember when EA was saying that their purchases of Origin, Maxis, Westwood and Bullfrog would also let those companies run autonomously?

They're still letting Will Wright do his thing over as Maxis; so long as they get kickbacks in the form of endless Sims sequels and expansions. If I get Spore out of it in the end, I really don't care. :D

Yeah, but Beyond the Dark Portal and Brood War were pretty good.

And before you say anything, go check your manuals. Go ahead. I'll wait.

So... Starcraft Universe anyone?

Okay, are you back? As you may have noticed, Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal was made, in part, by a company called Cyberlore Studios, and StarCraft: Brood War was made, in part, by a company called Sapphire Studios. Didn't seem to affect their quality very much. One of the reasons when something like Warcraft Adventures or StarCraft: Ghost pops up, I'm initially optimisitic.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Somebody in another thread pointed out that this might really fuck up Rock Band, since Vivendi owns UMG, which owns (the music from) a shitload of bands, among them Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns & Roses, etc. etc.

On the other hand, maybe they won't notice, kinda like how we somehow manage to get a video game adaptation of a Sony Pictures-owned movie (Spiderman n) on a Microsoft console.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blizzard never made "world of crash bandicoot" so nothing with their quality standards will change. It's an acquisition by Vivendi with the Blizzard name on it, nothing more... yet.

Kotenk on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Somebody in another thread pointed out that this might really fuck up Rock Band, since Vivendi owns UMG, which owns (the music from) a shitload of bands, among them Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Guns & Roses, etc. etc.

On the other hand, maybe they won't notice, kinda like how we somehow manage to get a video game adaptation of a Sony Pictures-owned movie (Spiderman n) on a Microsoft console.

Or 'Astroboy: Omega Factor', a Sony Movies property, published by Sega, on a Nintendo Console

LewieP on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait, I thought Blizzard died a long time ago?

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wait, I thought Blizzard died a long time ago?

Blizzard North got consolidated into Blizzard's main studio, but that's about it.

Serously; WoW has 9 million subscribers and StarCraft II is in production; how could you possibly think Blizzard was dead?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    *whoosh*

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lynx wrote: »
    Mostly Battle.net programmers, a few early WoW devs and about half of Blizzard North (The Diablo guys).

Out of these, two games were produced. Guild Wars (The B.net and early WoW devs) and Hellfire: London (Diablo guys). Guild Wars is pretty good, but the general consensus on Hellfire is that it's disappointing considering who developed it. Either way, though, WoW is still the juggernaut, not Guild Wars or Hellfire.

To be fair, before WoW came along the subscription numbers of Guild Wars (what is it? 2 million ish?) would have been megaton type numbers.

WoW is a complete anomaly in the MMOverse and shouldnt be even considered a yardstick for anything. Guild Wars is extremely successful, especially considering it is free (which usually means poor)

Hellgate though is not good.

That wasn't my point, though. My point was that all of these developers left Blizzard because of the supposed control Vivendi had over Blizzard and neither game did as well. Hell, personally, I think WoW is a better game than both Guild Wars and Hellgate (Why the hell was I calling it Hellfire? Diablo expansion on the brain. . .). Not to say Guild Wars isn't a good game, because it is, great even, but it went to show those developers that they were wrong about the "control" Vivendi supposedly put on Blizzard.

And regardless if WoW is an "anomaly", something had to attract 9 million paying customers. Especially considering Guild Wars' 2 million don't pay monthly.

Lynx on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Call of Duty 5: Starcraft?

Imagine the directing and squad based combat of call of duty 4 where you are a bunch of marines fighting over some planet against protoss and zerg...

Honestly, just give the best developers under Activision some blizzard liscenses and have blizzard supervise. Fanservice and cash cows.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mostly Battle.net programmers, a few early WoW devs and about half of Blizzard North (The Diablo guys).

Out of these, two games were produced. Guild Wars (The B.net and early WoW devs) and Hellfire: London (Diablo guys). Guild Wars is pretty good, but the general consensus on Hellfire is that it's disappointing considering who developed it. Either way, though, WoW is still the juggernaut, not Guild Wars or Hellfire.

To be fair, before WoW came along the subscription numbers of Guild Wars (what is it? 2 million ish?) would have been megaton type numbers.

WoW is a complete anomaly in the MMOverse and shouldnt be even considered a yardstick for anything. Guild Wars is extremely successful, especially considering it is free (which usually means poor)

Hellgate though is not good.

That wasn't my point, though. My point was that all of these developers left Blizzard because of the supposed control Vivendi had over Blizzard and neither game did as well. Hell, personally, I think WoW is a better game than both Guild Wars and Hellgate (Why the hell was I calling it Hellfire? Diablo expansion on the brain. . .). Not to say Guild Wars isn't a good game, because it is, great even, but it went to show those developers that they were wrong about the "control" Vivendi supposedly put on Blizzard.

And regardless if WoW is an "anomaly", something had to attract 9 million paying customers. Especially considering Guild Wars' 2 million don't pay monthly.

Just wanted to clarify a few things.
    1. I don't think the ArenaNet guys ever said why the specifically left Blizzard, other than the "explore new possibilities" type stuff
    2. Roper and Co. left Blizzard because Vivindi was, at the time, shopping around for someone to buy their medioce game division (this was before WoW. While Blizzard was successful back then, their successes weren't making up for the rest of the Vivindi's game division's losses), and no one at Blizzard had any say in who they got sold to. It had nothing to do with Vivindi interfering with the day-to-day workings at Blizzard.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am Trapper Keeper.

Man no seriously if this means they will be WoW on 360 then I'm all for it but still aren't they going a bit over board with the merging?

Coreo on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bloodwings wrote: »
    so the new warcraft expansion is going to be in mono?

I lol'd.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone know where the statements made by Bullfrog, Origin, and Westwood employees are still posted? After those devs were acquired by EA, they were all so cheerful for the opportunity.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is neither a buyout nor a poorly disguised takeover.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the statements made by Bullfrog, Origin, and Westwood employees are still posted? After those devs were acquired by EA, they were all so cheerful for the opportunity.

Good thing this wasn't 1. a company being acquired and 2. involving EA in any way. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

Why does everyone keep bringing this up? This situation is nothing whatsoever like those. Bullfrog, Origin, and Westwood were fairly successful studios who were acquired by a monolithic megacorp. Blizzard is not a fucking fairly successful studio; they're GARGANTUAN. They print money. They have an influence on the gaming world, in terms of both money and market share, that is right up there with Activision. This is a merger, not an acquisition. Anyone who is really concerned about losing Blizzard's integrity needs to learn the difference between the two.

emericana on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

How is it not a poorly disguised takeover? Before the "merger", Vivendi controlled VU Games and Activision controlled, well, Activision. Post-"merger", Vivendi controls Activision Blizzard, which consists of VU Games and Activision combined.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

How is it not a poorly disguised takeover? Before the "merger", Vivendi controlled VU Games and Activision controlled, well, Activision. Post-"merger", Vivendi controls Activision Blizzard, which consists of VU Games and Activision combined.

Activision didnt need to merge, nor did Vivendi. Its not a takeover, its a merger to boost both their profits.

Considering the CEO of Actiblizzion is the CEO of Activision control seems to still rest more with Activision.

Plus, while vivendi is of course much larger than activision, VU games is pathetic compared to activision in the game market.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Isn't the CEO of Activision becoming the CEO of the merged company? A poorly disguised takeover would have resulted in a purge.

Couscous on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh wow, when I first saw this thread, I thought it was a really bad april fool's joke thread that someone resurrected, but after reading all those news posts, well I still find it difficult to believe. I mean, usually there's a lot of speculation followed by official denials, but this sort of just came out of the blue.

Well, my opinion is that this won't really mean much for the next few years. After all, people have been prophesying Blizzard's doom since the Vivendi acquisition (probably earlier than that too), but they've seem to hold their own pretty well- even after a lot of their core developers left. Blizzard is successful enough that the new board will know to leave it on its own for now, but as with any management change, the long range strategy of the new company will be impacted. What this will mean is pretty much impossible to say, although if things keep going the way they have, it doesn't look like Blizzard will do anything stupid soon.

Edit: If anyone is interested, here's the official press release, which contains quite a few legal details. http://blizzard.com/press/071202.shtml

0blique on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    20071109.jpg
    God damn, it's like they can see the future!

This needs to be quoted again. This is an amazing coincidence. Tomorrow's comic should just be this one again.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    YardGnome wrote: »
    20071109.jpg
    God damn, it's like they can see the future!

This needs to be quoted again. This is an amazing coincidence. Tomorrow's comic should just be this one again.

20060616.jpg
    Its all coming in place

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Isn't the CEO of Activision becoming the CEO of the merged company? A poorly disguised takeover would have resulted in a purge.

The CEO is just an employee; he'd be left in if he's competent, just like any other employee. I guarantee you the board of directors will be completely different.

It's VU buying a majority stake in Activision, and part of that purchase is the higher-profile Activision brand name. I mean, there's nothing explicitly wrong with that, I suppose, but that's what it is.

Daedalus on