As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Health care - who fucked up?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »
    We would have less of a problem with there not being enough healthcare professionals if something were done about the reaming that Canadian post-secondary students receive. But that's another discussion entirely.

Reaming? You pay like less than a thousand a year for your courses.

Yeah, I can't figure this out.

US tuition? Now THAT'S a fucking reaming. Unlubbed with a fucking cactus.

shryke on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The dutch system works, I would say (subjectively) better then the US system. We spend a hell of a lot less of our income (about 60-70% depending on how you calculate I think), and the waiting lists are generally not a huge issue at the moment. Yes they exist, they are a direct consequence of budget driven healthcare. They were a high government priority during the '90's to work down.

The dutch system, in a nutshell, is this. The government makes a list of illnesses/treatments/medicine for which everyone in the country must be insured, and the insurance companies are not allowed to discriminate in accepting people for this (IE everyone must be accepted for basic coverage, at the same price). They are then free to offer additional treatments for which discrimation is allowed (IE only added dental plans to those that visit a dentists 1/year). Currently, the fee for the basic insurance is ~ E95 , with a E35 subsidy for those under a certain income line (So E 60). The agencies compete on price on the basic insurance, and have to make contracts with hospitals beforehand on how much they will be charged for a certain service on a yearly basis.

Of course it is not a perfect system, especially because the government has to make a list, which means there will be oversights, shortcomings and errors on the list. A famous case is that the government does allow for interference in the dangerously obese (stomach bands/operations, but also fitness programs), but then does not pay for "cosmetic" surgery to remove the large amounts of excess skin that can result from losing great amounts of weight. (Which are a healthrisk in some cases, but also impede people in their everyday lives, as well as psychologicly).

There is also a currently small but rising issue with people not paying the insurance companies. I think this is currently about 250k individuals out a 16M population (1.5%).

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slowroll wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Canada has one. While basic medical needs are fully covered by your provincial health plan, there's tons of companies out there to purchase supplementary coverage from, that goes above and beyond the standard.
    Yes, drug plans, etc. but we've outlawed any competing basic medical needs (which are not basic when you need surgery) systems in our constitution. We're the only country in the world to do that.

Actually, Canada is joined in this group of idiots by Cuba and Libya, I believe.

The Canadian system is better than the American system, but only slightly. A hybrid system invariably works better than the command/control model that exists presently.

Canada is only ranked 30th (compared to the American 37) in terms of quality of health system. I believe the pride of the system only exists due to poor standing of American system, rather than any exemplary existence.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We would have less of a problem with there not being enough healthcare professionals if something were done about the reaming that Canadian post-secondary students receive. But that's another discussion entirely.

When I went 5 years ago to one of the cheapest university's in Canada (University of Winnipeg), it was $3k for one years tuition (iirc). Although I was inelligable for student financing due to parents income so that may have meant I lost out on free tuition or something.

In RE to Quebec: We cant say fuck Quebec until we say Fuck all the Atlantic provinces too. They have an inequal number of seats in Parliament compared to their population, and we cant reduce the number of seats they have by law. So we have to change the law to say we can reduce seats, which would piss off everyone outside of BC, Alberta, and Ontario. (Ontario may also fight this tooth and nail because they then become the lone east province fighting domination by the west).

Also, it sucks that your parents have to wait to get an MRI for something that is not currently threatening their life, while people that are in danger of dying get their MRI's. But thats how TRIAGE works. The least life threatening cases have to wait the longest.
    Its not first come first serve, and not largest donation / payoff / have a wing named after you first serve.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, it sucks that your parents have to wait to get an MRI for something that is not currently threatening their life, while people that are in danger of dying get their MRI's. But thats how TRIAGE works. The least life threatening cases have to wait the longest.
    Its not first come first serve, and not largest donation / payoff / have a wing named after you first serve.
    Thank fucking christ for that IMO too.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To be fair, that was when Canadian money was Monopoly money worth about as much as Australian Monopoly money.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    8) The Tooth Fairy

Why? Because the Tooth Fairy - a myth that promises children a reward merely for the natural biological and involuntary process of losing their first set of teeth - like so many other elusive (read: non-existent) creature and characters introduced to a child probably instigates this American feeling of entitlement that they are owed simply for continued existence which thus manifests itself in a lack of stamina and desire to keep healthy: in fact, to a child, losing one's tooth is not necessarily understood as a natural thing, especially when the truth, like the Stork bringing children, is instead scapegoated to some myth about a women who comes in the night pilfering lost teeth and leaving money instead. Most children understand "loss" to be a negative as well as a physical deformity, and here they are being rewarded for a seemingly negative event: the loss of a tooth. Thus, the Tooth Fairy begins the downward spiral that American children inevitable evolve along, from innocent, biological creatures, to those who expect to be rewarded regardless of what they do to their bodies or, more importantly, what they do not do. There is no impetus to eat properly, excersize, not drink tooth-deteriorating beveredges, or the like. The Tooth Fairy destroys any chance of children having a positive outlook on personal health care and responsibility and it is only until much later (adolescence for bright-minded sports-headed individuals, adulthood for the non-sports-headed Dr. Phil watching crowd) that individuals begin to dispel this mentality of good health coming to them regardless of what they do. So you have the problem of supporting individuals unnecessarily for at least 15-30 years, all because of the Tooth Fairy.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

When I went 5 years ago to one of the cheapest university's in Canada (University of Winnipeg), it was $3k for one years tuition (iirc). Although I was inelligable for student financing due to parents income so that may have meant I lost out on free tuition or something.

In RE to Quebec: We cant say fuck Quebec until we say Fuck all the Atlantic provinces too. They have an inequal number of seats in Parliament compared to their population, and we cant reduce the number of seats they have by law. So we have to change the law to say we can reduce seats, which would piss off everyone outside of BC, Alberta, and Ontario. (Ontario may also fight this tooth and nail because they then become the lone east province fighting domination by the west).

1) Yeah, I really don't think we Canadians should be too up in arms about our tuition fees.

2) Aaaaaand fuck off. What's this bullshit about "Fuck off to the Atlantic Provinces". I really don't think that we're a big problem, it's not like we're in your Parliament stealin' your seats or something.
    Hell, Atlantic Parliament seats are:
    PEI: 4
    NFLD : 7
    Nova Scotia: 11
    New Brunswick: 10

Is this really a big deal? I have never heard anything about it. Ever. I mean maybe it's a big thing in mainland Canada, but I know I've never heard anything about it in Newfoundland, nor have I read anything about it in Maclean's.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    8) The Tooth Fairy

Why? Because the Tooth Fairy - a myth that promises children a reward merely for the natural biological and involuntary process of losing their first set of teeth - like so many other elusive (read: non-existent) creature and characters introduced to a child probably instigates this American feeling of entitlement that they are owed simply for continued existence which thus manifests itself in a lack of stamina and desire to keep healthy: in fact, to a child, losing one's tooth is not necessarily understood as a natural thing, especially when the truth, like the Stork bringing children, is instead scapegoated to some myth about a women who comes in the night pilfering lost teeth and leaving money instead. Most children understand "loss" to be a negative as well as a physical deformity, and here they are being rewarded for a seemingly negative event: the loss of a tooth. Thus, the Tooth Fairy begins the downward spiral that American children inevitable evolve along, from innocent, biological creatures, to those who expect to be rewarded regardless of what they do to their bodies or, more importantly, what they do not do. There is no impetus to eat properly, excersize, not drink tooth-deteriorating beveredges, or the like. The Tooth Fairy destroys any chance of children having a positive outlook on personal health care and responsibility and it is only until much later (adolescence for bright-minded sports-headed individuals, adulthood for the non-sports-headed Dr. Phil watching crowd) that individuals begin to dispel this mentality of good health coming to them regardless of what they do. So you have the problem of supporting individuals unnecessarily for at least 15-30 years, all because of the Tooth Fairy.
    I think I speak for everyone when I say:

...What?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

...What?

Shh.

Maybe if we're really quiet, he'll leave us alone.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

...What?

Shh.

Oh look, it's Drez, making inane Libertarian-esque statements regarding people's right to welfare of any kind.
    Of course they don't deserve it, they aren't rich, they don't take care of their bodies, they are poor.
    :roll:

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

...What?

Shh.

Oh look, it's Drez, making inane Libertarian-esque statements regarding people's right to welfare of any kind.
    Of course they don't deserve it, they aren't rich, they don't take care of their bodies, they are poor.

Are...are you being serious?

Drez on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

...What?

Shh.

Are...are you being serious?

I thought it was a pretty good answer to the OP. Ignore these slack-jawed yokels.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not sure what I can contribute to the thread but, I live in Norway, we're ranked #11.
    It's taken care of by tax over here, and the quality of care is very high...I don't think I've ever heard about anyone complaining about health care ever.

To be honest; the U.S. system looks so flawed to me it...it boggles my mind how you guys can even put up with it. What does it even matter if your health measures are so awesome when so many people are left behind because of insurance companies profiting from your misfortune, corrupt to the core while trying to wiggle out of payments at every possible turn?

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I guess it would matter to people who need awesome treatments.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Narian wrote: »

1) Yeah, I really don't think we Canadians should be too up in arms about our tuition fees.

2) Aaaaaand fuck off. What's this bullshit about "Fuck off to the Atlantic Provinces". I really don't think that we're a big problem, it's not like we're in your Parliament stealin' your seats or something.
    Hell, Atlantic Parliament seats are:
    PEI: 4
    NFLD : 7
    Nova Scotia: 11
    New Brunswick: 10

Is this really a big deal? I have never heard anything about it. Ever. I mean maybe it's a big thing in mainland Canada, but I know I've never heard anything about it in Newfoundland, nor have I read anything about it in Maclean's.

Its essentially Canada's version of the Electoral College, except its based on what your population used to be. Honestly, I dont care too much about Quebec either, except the fact that the last time they threatened to leave the Federation the USA got all up in our business because they saw some profit there.

They should start selling health insurance "insurance" in the USA, for the times when your HMO / Provider hits the eject button on you. I mean the auto industry sells insurance for your insurance rates.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Its essentially Canada's version of the Electoral College, except its based on what your population used to be.

So? Are the Atlantic Provinces seats a problem? I do not understand.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

Yes, I'm sure Trump is pleased.

Awesome as it may be, there's quite a list of countries with high-quality care not far behind the U.S. that won't require you to sell your siblings into slavery or be the favourite masseur of Bob Kelso to get said treatment.

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Paragon wrote: »

And also probably the 85% of Americans with health insurance.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It's that low? So you have 45 million people without it? Great, that's only ten times as many as in my entire country.

Anyway, I'm visiting my girl in California pretty soon, there's no way in hell I'm setting foot on your soil without insurance from my travel agency; and I'll probably keep extending it from back here if I am staying longer...I trust U.S. insurance companies as far as I can throw their CEO's yacht(s).

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It's that low? So you have 45 million people without it? Great, that's only ten times as many as in my entire country.

Anyway, I'm visiting my girl in California pretty soon, there's no way in hell I'm setting foot on your soil without insurance from my travel agency; and I'll probably keep extending it from back here if I am staying longer...I trust U.S. insurance companies as far as I can throw their CEO's yacht(s).

It's not really my country perse, and you can do whatever you want.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

? Tuition was like $2K a semester for me, or thereabouts. And it wasn't even university, it was SAIT.

As far as wait times, I know anecdotal, lol, but last week I went to emergency for the first time in 21 years and I waited about two minutes before a nurse set me up with a bed and hooked me up to all their monitors. About an hour until I talked to a doctor, though.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »

? Tuition was like $2K a semester for me, or thereabouts. And it wasn't even university, it was SAIT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

O God, stop.

Shinto on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    What the hell province do you live in that your parents pay half their wages in medicaL???!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to tell you but here in BC a family of 3 or more will pay $108 PER MONTH!!! And if you have a decent job you probably get part of that paid by your work for enrolling in a group MSP rate. Hell even 7-Eleven does that for part timers after a year! The most I could see is from and extend benifits premium, but those are optional. And not a provincal service.

108 per month? Damn! I have to pay over 200 a month for my wife who's in perfect health in her early 20's, and that's with a BAD insurance plan here in the states (one where we have to pay 50% coinsurance and a copayment).

I've always felt that American health insurance has been bending us over. Hearing that figure makes me cringe thinking about how much money we throw out over here.

To be perfectly clear, that $108/month (or $54 for an individual) is just a regressive tax with a special name. Citizens of BC still pay federal and provincial taxes that go into the general coffers and then to health care budget, just like the MSP payment.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    Its essentially Canada's version of the Electoral College, except its based on what your population used to be.

So? Are the Atlantic Provinces seats a problem? I do not understand.

Not in and of themselves. But when you have half the countries seats residing in Ontario / Quebec, you cant exactly reduce Quebecs influence without also reducing everyone elses influence to match actual population.

IE: Quebec becomes like Iowa or something where its a deal breaker that every political party needs to win to hold the majority, so they pander to them like crazy.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, I can't figure this out.

US tuition? Now THAT'S a fucking reaming. Unlubbed with a fucking cactus.
    Even in Canada medical school remains a financial proposition in the tens of thousands. Medical school fees have risen nearly 50% since 2002. Anyone who wants to be a doctor when they grow up eventually has to decide whether they want to spend the first several years of their career with crippling debt. It kind of makes you want to pursue a career that does not require you to take out $60,000+ in loans, such as welding.

The Liberals, of course, created this problem by lifting the tuition freeze, but the Conservatives certainly aren't helping as the bulk of their policies are targeted at "ordinary Canadians" (people with credit cards bigger than their brains). The NDP is the only party that seems interested in helping students out, but that's the NDP....

Azio on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yech.. the NPD... the party that panders to every special interest group regardless of how fiscally feasable it is.

Edit: though to be honest, we need to keep them around to keep the other parties honest to an extent. (Just never let them hold a majority government)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    11) Excessive regulation. Not saying all regulation is bad, but, for example, the criteria for becoming a medical practitioner is way too strict. There is no reason why I should need eight years of schooling to say, "Hey, you have an ear infection. Take this for a week." Probably half the nurses at most hospitals could handle a lot of the GP work that gets done, but they can't, because the government doesn't allow them to. When it takes a couple hundred grand in education costs to become a doctor, doctors are going to demand a shit ton of compensation for their services. When doctors demand a shit ton, it drives the cost of health care up. If we opened up certain branches of health care to people who can do the work even without all the schooling, it would drive costs down for at least some forms of health care. I mean, I can help design a bridge that, should it fail, will kill dozens of people without all that schooling, but I can't tell someone he has a cold?

12) Malpractice insurance. The costs are going up. This makes it more expensive to practice medicine, and the costs get passed on to the consumer (or insurance company).

13) The very existence of insurance. People are largely insulated from the costs of medical care. Paying for most procedures is impossible for most folks without insurance, and so they only people with insurance have them. Because the consumer doesn't directly see these costs, he has no reason to shop around for a deal. Because he doesn't shop around for a deal, doctors have no reason to keep costs down, outside of negotiations with insurance providers. But that's a poor substitute for legitimate downward pressure on prices resulting from competition. Prices are high because the people getting the services don't care if they are or not. Because prices are so high, it makes it even harder for people to afford the procedures without insurance, and the problem is self-reinforcing.

14) Medical advances. We're learning how to treat more and more ailments, and these new treatments are pricey. Once upon a time, if you got a certain illness, you just sort of quietly died. Now, you instead rack up a hundred grand in treatments that are paid for by your insurance provider. The insurance providers pay through the nose, and they pass the costs on to you in the form of higher premiums and copays.

The thing is that none of these problems are fixable through any politically tenable means. Which is why private health care in this nation is doomed.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Actually I am sort of curious now, you can get insurance for your car insurance to prevent your rates from going up incase of an accident.

Can you get insurance for your health insurance to prevent them from hitting the eject button when your diagnosed with a long term illness?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    also, I only took three courses this semester at a public university and it cost over $1600, not counting about $400 in textbooks and $2200 in computer shit. This line about tuition fees being less than $1000 a year is bullshit. Canadian medical students pay about $10,000 a semester in tuition alone.

That's still nothing compared to American tuition, though.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    14) Medical advances. We're learning how to treat more and more ailments, and these new treatments are pricey. Once upon a time, if you got a certain illness, you just sort of quietly died. Now, you instead rack up a hundred grand in treatments that are paid for by your insurance provider. The insurance providers pay through the nose, and they pass the costs on to you in the form of higher premiums and copays.

This.

Seriously, I have no idea why more people don't just suck it up and die instead of being a drain. Who wants to live a life medded up in a giant haze anyway.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    No more talking about tuition, unless it's directly related to health care.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

This.

Seriously, I have no idea why more people don't just suck it up and die instead of being a drain. Who wants to live a life medded up in a giant haze anyway.

Yeah.

People should help the situation by just surrendering their will to live despite there being existing treatments that could save them.

I'm with you 117%.

Drez on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    11) Excessive regulation. Not saying all regulation is bad, but, for example, the criteria for becoming a medical practitioner is way too strict. There is no reason why I should need eight years of schooling to say, "Hey, you have an ear infection. Take this for a week." Probably half the nurses at most hospitals could handle a lot of the GP work that gets done, but they can't, because the government doesn't allow them to. When it takes a couple hundred grand in education costs to become a doctor, doctors are going to demand a shit ton of compensation for their services. When doctors demand a shit ton, it drives the cost of health care up. If we opened up certain branches of health care to people who can do the work even without all the schooling, it would drive costs down for at least some forms of health care. I mean, I can help design a bridge that, should it fail, will kill dozens of people without all that schooling, but I can't tell someone he has a cold?

Again, thank the AMA. Seriously, one of the things needed in reforming the US system is to get the AMA out of the regulatory business.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited December 2007

This.

Yeah.

People should help the situation by just surrendering their will to live despite there being existing treatments that could save them.

I'm with you 117%.

I think someone here is missing some sarcasm.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    /sarcasm tags or it didn't happen.

And, might it be, all of the above? Medical advancements, insurance company greed, hospital greed. Hospitals charging insurance agencies 1,500 a night, when it only would have cost 700 or less?

Maybe it's everything?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

This.

Yeah.

I'm with you 117%.

I think someone here is missing some sarcasm.

Am I?

I don't know Snarfmaster from Adam. I do know that people quite often surprise me here.

So I usually err on the side of moral repugnance rather than sarcasm with posters I don't know. It's the safer bet.

/sarcasm tags or it didn't happen.

And, might it be, all of the above? Medical advancements, insurance company greed, hospital greed. Hospitals charging insurance agencies 1,500 a night, when it only would have cost 700 or less, Tooth Fairy?

Maybe it's everything?

Fixed.

Drez on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Bwah? Are you basing this comment on tuition from 1995 or something? Average undergrad tuition in Canada is aprox $4000 per year.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Expensive.

Shinto on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd respond, but I see now we aren't supposed to talk about it anymore. So, I won't.

Corvus on
    :so_raven: