As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man of the Year: Vladimir Putin

HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled ManRegistered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
TIME has selected its Person of the Year, and it's Russia's president/soon to be prime minister, responsible for bringing Russia back to global relevance.

A Tsar Is Born is their somewhat-interview with him, which is rather intriguing because Putin rarely speaks to the foreign press.

The runners-up are:

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
Harrier on

• Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bet he felt proud he outranked J.K. Rowling, and now shares an honour with Hitler.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well at least it wasn't 'YOU' again.

I think I agree overall though with the choice, Putin's pretty much done whatever he wants and wields more than his fair share of influence on global politics.

I would have liked to have seen Gordon Brown among the runners up.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just me or is TIME magazine a total joke anymore?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    It's not just you. TIME magazine is a total joke anymore.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not sure I agree with this, though I suppose I can see where it's coming from. A newly reborn USSR could well mean more to the world than anything else that's happened this year.

Doesn't mean I don't dislike this selection at a gut level. I'll have to think about it some more.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    It's probably a good selection, even though I think TIME is the intersection of irrelevant and loathsome.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It should have been "ME" this year.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Putin has given us the following:

1. Hilarious images of him in a wide variety of activities able to be used in makeshift poker-raises on the interwebs, thus extending our glorious culture.

2. Peak oil doomsday scenarios

3. Finally a country the US generals can call a potential enemy who will have the kindness and decency to field some high-tech anti-aircraft missile systems to justify building high-tech stealth planes so they can avoid them, as opposed to now where we do it anyway because it's cool.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    J.K. Rowling was on the shortlist?

Were there no good scientific breakthroughs this year? No major economic turnarounds? No firefighters rescuing kittens from trees?

Gim on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Really, as if Putin needs more of an ego boost after he went and claimed the north pole.

I can't agree with this choice.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    3. Finally a country the US generals can call a potential enemy who will have the kindness and decency to field some high-tech anti-aircraft missile systems to justify building high-tech stealth planes so they can avoid them, as opposed to now where we do it anyway because it's cool.

Well how else are we suppose to justify spending more money on our military than every other military in the world combined?

I'm glad those really expensive planes and various other technology has helped us defeat terrorism once and for all.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Really, as if Putin needs more of an ego boost after he went and claimed the north pole.

Who would you have preferred?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AdimaxAdimax Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kagera wrote: »

Howie Mandel.

Adimax on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Huh, a KGB thug. Neat.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    A man whose response to the Litvinenko murder was, "Nuh UH!"

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Things I have learned about Vladimir Putin on NPR:

(1) He has openly said that he is going to return as Prime Minister and then attempt to move all executive powers from the Presidency to the Prime Minister. That is soooo fucking gangsta I just don't even know where to begin.

(2) Okay this isn't exactly about Putin, but whoever his croney is that he's installing into the Presidency after he leaves is an avid collector of first-pressings of Deep Purple records. You can't make this shit up. Based on these facts, I would have to nominate Thanatos as our new Russian foreign diplomat, as he the Prez-to-be will be able to have some of the most bonding matches of chess the world has ever seen.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

It's not about him, though. As mentioned, it's an honor he shares with Hitler. It's about who had tremendous effect on the world, good or bad. I think Putin is as good a choice as any; he's actually made Russia look, at least to many, like something worth worrying about again.
    Blackjack wrote: »

And next year it can be "Them." It would be awesome.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Simon Pegg?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    deowolf wrote: »

Simon Pegg?

Dude, he's going to be Scotty? Yeah, I think I'm with you on this one now...

mcdermott on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »

And next year it can be "Them." It would be awesome.

They totally missed out on the opportunity to put a mirror with a big red X through it on the cover and say "Time's Person of the Year is..... NOT YOU! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA."

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    (2) Okay this isn't exactly about Putin, but whoever his croney is that he's installing into the Presidency after he leaves is an avid collector of first-pressings of Deep Purple records.

If Russia's national anthem becomes 'Burn', I will move there and hail their government as the only right and just one.

Gim on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    (2) Okay this isn't exactly about Putin, but whoever his croney is that he's installing into the Presidency after he leaves is an avid collector of first-pressings of Deep Purple records.

If Russia's national anthem becomes 'Burn', I will move there and hail their government as the only right and just one.
    No, it should totally be "Child in Time."

Or "Space Trucking," if they want to get their space program back on track.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Are you trying to say that he shouldn't be the Man of the Year because of this?

khain on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I would have liked to have seen Gordon Brown among the runners up.

You have to be fucking kidding me? For what, massive underperformer of the year? Best MacCavity impression? Most imperial modelling of novel garments?

California seems to have a slightly fucked up impression of Brown's impact and/or worth (I know the UK does of Arnie), and I'm interested to know where it comes from.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    khain wrote: »
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Are you trying to say that he shouldn't be the Man of the Year because of this?

No.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I did a paper on Putin a few weeks ago for school. It basically solidified my intense loathing for him as a human being, although its also hard not to admire what he's managed to accomplish.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh yes, let's shower more attention upon Vladimir Putin. This is precisely what the world needs right now.

Azio on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    I did a paper on Putin a few weeks ago for school. It basically solidified my intense loathing for him as a human being, although its also hard not to admire what he's managed to accomplish.

I don't see how practically destroying democracy in Russia is something that can be admired.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's akin to admiring the chutzpah necessary to shit on the hood of a cop car.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

I don't see how practically destroying democracy in Russia is something that can be admired.

You can admire Hitler's organisational ability and capacity to entrance the populace without liking what he used them for. Demonising or denying laudable personal traits because of the bad stuff they use them for just means you understand less. If you want to avoid that bad stuff in future, this isn't clever.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, democracy didn't really exist in Russia for him to destroy. Arguably, at one point early on, Putin's Russia was a much better expression of democracy than the oligarchy & neutered political class that went before. He is still extremely popular you know. Arguably, Russian democracy has failed because Russians want what they are used to, namely strong autocracy.

I'm not a fan of the man, but simplifying him & what he has done will just perpetuate ignorance.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Demonising or denying laudable personal traits because of the bad stuff they use them for just means you understand less.

Canonizing a person with those traits isn't a great route to go either.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christ, J.K. Rowling?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

No, but bringing it back to even a shadow of its former glory can be.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Things I have learned about Vladimir Putin on NPR:

(1) He has openly said that he is going to return as Prime Minister and then attempt to move all executive powers from the Presidency to the Prime Minister. That is soooo fucking gangsta I just don't even know where to begin.

(2) Okay this isn't exactly about Putin, but whoever his croney is that he's installing into the Presidency after he leaves is an avid collector of first-pressings of Deep Purple records. You can't make this shit up. Based on these facts, I would have to nominate Thanatos as our new Russian foreign diplomat, as he the Prez-to-be will be able to have some of the most bonding matches of chess the world has ever seen.
    I've always wanted to visit Russia.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, democracy didn't really exist in Russia for him to destroy. Arguably, at one point early on, Putin's Russia was a much better expression of democracy than the oligarchy & neutered political class that went before. He is still extremely popular you know. Arguably, Russian democracy has failed because Russians want what they are used to, namely strong autocracy.

I'm not a fan of the man, but simplifying him & what he has done will just perpetuate ignorance.
    I think you're right about Russia wanting what they used to have, which is not strong autocracy for its own sake, but they want to go back to being one of the two most powerful countries in the world.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    putin.png

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Harrier wrote: »

So he didn't have much competition.

ege02 on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christ, J.K. Rowling?
    You should go read the article about her that they put up. Like the whole thing. It's an ok argument.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    Demonising or denying laudable personal traits because of the bad stuff they use them for just means you understand less.

Canonizing a person with those traits isn't a great route to go either.

The traits are good - it's the way he uses them that are bad. Plenty of people get canonised with those traits because they use them for good, and nobody complains. Denying that they can also be used for bad is not clever.

Not Sarastro on