As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man of the Year: Vladimir Putin

• Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ever since Time magazine moved to glossy print, it isn't even useful as toilet paper. I'm really trying to wrack my brain and think of something nice to say about Time magazine, but I just can't.

At least this year's Man of the Year isn't as bad as last year's (YOU).

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Time got way too full of themselves in recent years.

They are a joke.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    About time they made a real choice.

The shit they have been pulling in recent years is ridiculous. "You" is not a viable choice for candidate of the year and neither is "The American Army".

Shinto on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm just waiting for this:

Litovchenko.jpg

Hell, the Patriarch of Moscow might as well just put a crown of his head and acknowledge what we all already know.

God save the Tzar...

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've gotta give it to Time for this line from their article on third tier candidates.
    Time wrote:
    Tancredo is down to just a few aides, one of whom, not seeing the irony, signs off her campaign e-mails for "Tank" Tancredo with "Keep on Tankin'."

I'm actually surprised they didn't go with Petraeus, since they usually go with the flag-waving military-happy option, but Putin makes a lot of sense.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Jebu wrote: »
    I've gotta give it to Time for this line from their article on third tier candidates.
    Time wrote:
    Tancredo is down to just a few aides, one of whom, not seeing the irony, signs off her campaign e-mails for "Tank" Tancredo with "Keep on Tankin'."

I'm actually surprised they didn't go with Petraeus, since they usually go with the flag-waving military-happy option, but Putin makes a lot of sense.

Frankly, if the progress generated by the surge in Iraq holds, he will be responsible for what will probably be one of the greatest turn-arounds in american military history; rescuing a situation many had written off as unwinnable and hopeless.

If.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    widowson wrote: »
    Frankly, if the progress generated by the surge in Iraq holds, he will be responsible for what will probably be one of the greatest turn-arounds in american military history; rescuing a situation many had written off as unwinnable and hopeless.

If.

Yay for a return to 2005 levels of violence?

Shinto on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As much as I loathe the man, Putin became quite a powerful force. He even has cults popping up all over the place, worshipping him like a God.

http://www.en.rian.ru/russia/20071211/91857622.html

If that isnt badass, I dont know what is.

muninn on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    If that isnt badass, I dont know what is.

I thought the whole "ex-KGB agent gets elected President of Russia but everyone says, it'll be ok, he'll be a nice tame bear and there's no way he'll go all meglomanical Soviet Gestapo and roll back oh bollocks" thing was pretty badass. Especially the bits where at select points as Putin is killing / starving / freezing the ex-Soviet peoples of wherever, Western_leader_004 drones on about what a nice chap he is, how his soul looked, what good mates they all were, while Putin just stands there looking cold-blooded then publically tells Western_leader_004 to fuck off a few months down the line. Extra especially the fact that he pulled this trick a good three or four times (twice to Bush!) before the West caught on.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three or four times, you must be a great shag!

Now we know his secret :wink:

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maybe he'll be like Vetinari.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »
    I did a paper on Putin a few weeks ago for school. It basically solidified my intense loathing for him as a human being, although its also hard not to admire what he's managed to accomplish.

I don't see how practically destroying democracy in Russia is something that can be admired.

No, but bringing it back to even a shadow of its former glory can be.

What glory? The Soviet Union was about as glorious as a bag of flaming shit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I did a paper on Putin a few weeks ago for school. It basically solidified my intense loathing for him as a human being, although its also hard not to admire what he's managed to accomplish.

I don't see how practically destroying democracy in Russia is something that can be admired.

It was one of two superpowers for 40 years. It had an absolutely enormous influence on the world. It had a sprawling empire. Just because it collapsed doesn't mean it didn't have glory back in the day. That sort of strength really appeals to nationalist types, the sort of people Putin is courting.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'd say being one of the only two superpowers in the world and possessing immense influence for four or five decades is pretty fucking glorious.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In hind-sight, aside from it's nukes, the USSR was basically a third world country with a big army. Most of the Russian threat was manufactured either by the Russian propaganda machine or the US government trying to scare it's citizens shitless.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In hind-sight, aside from it's nukes, the USSR was basically a third world country with a big army. Most of the Russian threat was manufactured either by the Russian propaganda machine or the US government trying to scare it's citizens shitless.

Huh, a 3rd world country that was the first into space, had tech equal to ours, and an incredibly sophisticated spy network.

Huh. The MIG-31, a third world invention.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Its tech wasn't really equal, in some areas it was equal or better, but overall I'd say they lagged pretty far behind.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

He's restoring order to one of the more hellishly chaotic places on earth. He's heavy-handed, and in a variety of ways I don't like beyond the standard censorship (homosexuality isn't at all a safe way to be in Russia right now, for example), but I don't think it's crazy to suggest that an oppressive, oligarchical police state isn't a step down from roving bands of murderous children with AKs. It's bad, still undesirable, but it's better.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kagera wrote: »

Huh, a 3rd world country that was the first into space, had tech equal to ours, and an incredibly sophisticated spy network.

Yes they poured tons of money into military spending. Their attempts to keep up with the US crippled the USSR in other areas. They had Migs but it came at the cost of an appallingly low standard of living for average citizens.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kagera wrote: »

Yes they poured tons of money into military spending. Their attempts to keep up with the US crippled the USSR in other areas. They had Migs but it came at the cost of an appallingly low standard of living for average citizens.

This is true. I wasn't saying I would have wanted to live there just that going into a war with them would have still been devastating (even if it was only conventional).

Might doesn't make right, but it makes for a powerful tool regardless.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Red threat during the cold war was hardly "manufactured" as nexuscrawler would imply.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Christ, J.K. Rowling?
    Was he up for Person of the Year too? Stiff competition.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, Time might be getting their balls back instead of using "Person of the Year" to put out a feel-good fluff piece. I'm still pissed that the 2001 Person of the Year wasn't Osama Bin Laden.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Good pick.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

Not that any of this really matters to your average Russian citizen, because as far as they are concerned, Russia was glorious & the big bear superpower & all sorts of other wonderful things.

Talking about past glory is an explanation for why Putin is popular among Russians, whether it is actually true or not.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also this:

http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/12/follow_the_leader.php
    For my own two cents, I think it's always instructive to compare attitudes toward Putin's illiberalism to attitudes toward friendlier petro-states like Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, etc. It's totally understandable that the United States government would take a different attitude toward governments who try to challenge US international hegemony than the one it takes toward those governments who help re-enforce it.

But to a striking extent, the press just follows along on this path. Gulf states that are far less democratic than contemporary Russia are typically portrayed as "moderate" or "reforming" whereas Putin's Russia is painted as a dark totalitarian nightmare. Even though though most people acknowledge, when pressed, that Putin is a broadly popular leaders whereas the sundry Sheikhs of the Gulf are mostly detested by their subjects.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To be honest, I think it would be bloody hard, as a normal citizen not to support someone like Putin after the 1990s. Imagine living in a country that collapses and is rebuilt into something totally alien, where a nominally equal society becomes one of crime and robber barons, where a guaranteed (if low) standard of living is replaced by uncertainty? Where everything you've known has been turned upside down. Not only have you lost an empire, you've also lost the things that made life bearable.

If someone came along and managed to halt that, to preside over a return to a livable normality, to promise and delivery stability I think he would be genuinely and wildly popular. Even if he is a jerk in many other ways.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    To be honest, I think it would be bloody hard, as a normal citizen not to support someone like Putin after the 1990s. Imagine living in a country that collapses and is rebuilt into something totally alien, where a nominally equal society becomes one of crime and robber barons, where a guaranteed (if low) standard of living is replaced by uncertainty? Where everything you've known has been turned upside down. Not only have you lost an empire, you've also lost the things that made life bearable.

If someone came along and managed to halt that, to preside over a return to a livable normality, to promise and delivery stability I think he would be genuinely and wildly popular. Even if he is a jerk in many other ways

Must....resist......comparison.....that....would....trigger....Godwin's...Law....

:P

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Do it my son.

Perfectly valid to make the comparison in this situation. People crave stability and irredentism is and always has been a powerful political force.

Kalkino on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Let me help you:
    "It was when Yeltsin was naming him as his successor [during a live New Year's Eve TV broadcast in 1999]. My soul exploded with joy! 'An ubermensch! God himself has chosen him!'" I cried. "

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

WTF, they beat us into space, their fighters were just as good as ours, were the only other nation with a credible blue sea navy.

Far from a third world country. Aside from quality of lifestyle, and let's face it Americans are stupid debt ridden consumers that buy crap we don't need, they were just as good or better in every area.

And look at the situation now, that quality of lifestyle has put us so far in debt were royally screwed.
    People crave stability and irredentism is and always has been a powerful political force.

This isn't just about stability, in some cases democracy does not work. The real question is what do the Russians want, they seem to enjoy an iron fist style of government.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wow waterlogged, no. You don't write off crazy bad quality of life with "but Americans are stupid consumers that buy crap we don't need". In fact, they weren't "just as good or better in every area". And no matter how screwed the average American is because of unfortunate decisions re: buying stuff, the average American is a hell of a lot less screwed than the average Russian, and this paradigm has held for quite a while.

And no, it's not that Russians simply want an "iron fist style of government", it's that an "iron fist style of government" is a lot better than roving bands of murderous thugs.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Christ, J.K. Rowling?

Wait...isn't J.K. Rowling a woman?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You sayin women aren't people Drez?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It is hard to really know if Russians take to democracy in the sense that English speaking Westerners do, given the vastly different situations we live in. Maybe they do need rule by a nominal democratic elite for a decade or two to stabilise the economic/political situation before proper representative democracy returns? Seemed to work for Korea and Taiwan

Kalkino on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Time magazine fails again. But they're always there in the magazine rack on an airplane, so how can we avoid them?

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You sayin women aren't people Drez?

I'm saying that women aren't "hims."

Drez on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Christ, J.K. Rowling?

Wait...isn't J.K. Rowling a woman?

Christ was stiff competition.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The traits are good - it's the way he uses them that are bad. Plenty of people get canonised with those traits because they use them for good, and nobody complains.

That's not really what I meant, but it was probably poor wording on my part. Specifically, I was speaking to people being placed on a media throne, i.e., Time's Person of the Year.
    Denying that they can also be used for bad is not clever.

Agreed. What I was saying is that placing a person who goes the "bad" route on said media throne is also not clever. We can recognize and consider that those traits can be used for ill intent without using a filter or censor. We can also question photo op spotlights placed on those people by the media.
    TIME's Person of the Year is not and never has been an honor. It is not an endorsement. It is not a popularity contest. At its best, it is a clear-eyed recognition of the world as it is and of the most powerful individuals and forces shaping that world—for better or for worse.

I've read this statement over and over throughout the years, and it has never sat right with me. Plastering a person's photo on the cover of Time magazine is a media endorsement and, as I see it, and endorsement of that person and his or her actions in an ends-justify-the-means way.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    TIME's Person of the Year is not and never has been an honor. It is not an endorsement. It is not a popularity contest. At its best, it is a clear-eyed recognition of the world as it is and of the most powerful individuals and forces shaping that world—for better or for worse.

I've read this statement over and over throughout the years, and it has never sat right with me. Plastering a person's photo on the cover of Time magazine is a media endorsement and, as I see it, and endorsement of that person and his or her actions in an ends-justify-the-means way.

What? No. I think Time is retarded, but by your logic Al Franken is endorsing Bill O'Reilly and company with his cover of Lying Liars.

Plastering a person's photo on a cover, alone, is not an endorsement of said person or a justification of said person's actions. Not at all. However, adding in the context of "Person of the Year" and I would agree that it's probably not the best message to send people (depending on the subject). But what you suggest is untrue; a photo alone is not an endorsement.

Drez on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    However, adding in the context of "Person of the Year" and I would agree that it's probably not the best message to send people (depending on the subject).

Yes, that's what I'm saying.
    Specifically, I was speaking to people being placed on a media throne, i.e., Time's Person of the Year.

So we're in agreement.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-