Options

Megami Tensei/Persona discussion: | P3: FES - 4/22 | Nocturne reprinted?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    I got this over at the Digital Devil Database DDS2 characters page (http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/digital_devil_saga_2/characters_complete.php). It makes a lot of sense to me:
    Schrödinger is interesting in the fact that he's always there when needed. As such, he has an almost godlike or messianic feel about him; someone who watches over you and helps ensure what is supposed to take place does take place. Early on in DDS2, his most obvious appearance is on the Game Over screen where he is encased in a lotus flower and, seemingly, looks down in disappointment.

Through this it is heavily implied that, simply, he is yet another manifestation of God, or Brahman. When you first face Brahman at the end of the game, the lotus flower also makes an appearance. The goal of Schrödinger is to have Serph somehow reach God and defeat him in battle. The purpose of this is not to kill God, but rather to prove that the will of humankind is strong and thus not deserving of the chaos currently being bestowed upon them on Earth.

Also:
    Sera dies alongside Serph and their data is sent to the Sun. Their data combines to form Seraph, allowing them to prove to God that there is value within human life and that their world need not be destroyed. Unfortunately, enlightenment only comes to this new being and thus Serph and Sera are both reborn again on Earth.

Just one interpretation I guess.
    Thing is, Seraph realises at the end that everything is one with God; so I see the fight against Brahman as Seraph fighting him/herself, defeating that mental block preventing everyone else from reaching enlightment, and then realising that he/she can stop the chaos on Earth. In a way, it's similar to the True Demon ending of Nocturne, in that both protagonists break through a system imposed by a higher power; although where the demi-fiend does so by actively rebelling against it, Seraph does so by realising that he/she is both the system incarnate, and capable of transcending it.
    One thing always bothered me about the beginning of DDS2:
    How the hell did AI constructs get bodies in the real world? They were all just Sera's creations that she hid in the Junkyard. I know they were based on real people who had real bodies, but the jump from the Junkyard to the real world didn't make much sense to me.
    The game was pretty heavy in implying that the virtual world of DDS was not dis-similar to the 'real' world of DDS2; plus bear in mind that Sera had a hot-line to the will of God, and her desires to transport her friends out of the junkyard could have been made manifest. Or you could argue that Seraph transcends time, and created the bodies for them. Whatever works, I guess.

Burnage on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Burnage wrote: »
    Thing is, Seraph realises at the end that everything is one with God; so I see the fight against Brahman as Seraph fighting him/herself, defeating that mental block preventing everyone else from reaching enlightment, and then realising that he/she can stop the chaos on Earth. In a way, it's similar to the True Demon ending of Nocturne, in that both protagonists break through a system imposed by a higher power; although where the demi-fiend does so by actively rebelling against it, Seraph does so by realising that he/she is both the system incarnate, and capable of transcending it.

That's some zen shit right there... That makes sense though, or about as much sense as something like that can make.
    The game was pretty heavy in implying that the virtual world of DDS was not dis-similar to the 'real' world of DDS2; plus bear in mind that Sera had a hot-line to the will of God, and her desires to transport her friends out of the junkyard could have been made manifest. Or you could argue that Seraph transcends time, and created the bodies for them. Whatever works, I guess.

Yeah, looking at it from that standpoint, that makes sense. I think I'm trying to reconcile things with our real world, which is kind of foolish. Then again, who's to say what's real and what's not... O_o

As for Persona 4, it appears to already be in the works and looks to be released in Japan in mid-2008: Article in Japanese and in wacky Google translatese: Article in wacky Google Translatese.

I think right now it's anybody's guess as to whether it'll be closer to Persona 3 or the old Persona games. Though I think it's safe to say that it will involve supernaturally active high school students. I'm actually surprised it took 3 games before they started to involve dating-sim elements, given that the other 3 games all involved high school students and high school students seem to like making friends and dating. Weird mix to be sure, but it seems like it was a successful one.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That translation makes my head hurt.

Anyway, honestly I'd like it if they set the next game in college or later... as fun as P3 was, I'm so sick of high school games.

That, and they should bump up the rating to M and have "The Witcher" levels of sex, language, and violence. Best game ever. :P

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In Nocturne, I really liked the random battles for the ability to talk to other demons, so it mixed things up quite a lot. It gave that feeling of fighting something more than just a bunch of pixels.

Actually, SMT1 did that for me too. It's nice to think that your enemy might actually have a mind of its own. I would love if they could heavily expand upon the demon dialogue thing.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    RatmikeRatmike Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really wish they'd kept the contract system and everyone being able to switch personae in three, but I guess ai party members wouldn't jive too well with that.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I guess I'm just going to come out and say it:

No catgirls in Persona 4, please.

My experience has been that they have too much all-purpose culture, but not enough nukku-nukku.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aaaghhh, I couldn't get my Academics to 3 in time for the exam. How screwed am I?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    Aaaghhh, I couldn't get my Academics to 3 in time for the exam. How screwed am I?

Not really. You might miss out on a few buff cards, but those are entirely replacable... and you can just rock the finals. Right?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Not really. You might miss out on a few buff cards, but those are entirely replacable... and you can just rock the finals. Right?

I don't know, can I? Academics is a big pain in the ass to raise.

My main goal was dating Mitsuru but I suppose that can wait till playthrough 2.

Furu on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

It's not too horrible. Yes, there's no easily late-night source like the Karaoke bar and cafe, but you get as many as two free sources. Are you putting money into the Shrine's offeratory every day? Add that and the study sessions every time you're not skipping Tartarus and/or tired, and that's a lot of points a day.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It's not too horrible. Yes, there's no easily late-night source like the Karaoke bar and cafe, but you get as many as two free sources. Are you putting money into the Shrine's offeratory every day? Add that and the study sessions every time you're not skipping Tartarus and/or tired, and that's a lot of points a day.

Yes and yes but I go to Tartarus a fair bit and the shrine likes to screw me over.

Furu on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Anyway, honestly I'd like it if they set the next game in college or later... as fun as P3 was, I'm so sick of high school games.

That, and they should bump up the rating to M and have "The Witcher" levels of sex, language, and violence. Best game ever. :P

P3 is pretty tame for an M title, much like all SMT games. The only thing that makes P3 an M is the dialogue, and it's not even that bad. Shoot, Baofu curses up a storm more than anyone in P3.

Devil Summoner got a real bad rap. That game's barely a T, much less the M it got.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lucifer's Call/Nocturne is still one of my favourite games ever.
    And in just a few weeks europe finally gets Persona 3.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

P3 is pretty tame for an M title, much like all SMT games. The only thing that makes P3 an M is the dialogue, and it's not even that bad. Shoot, Baofu curses up a storm more than anyone in P3.

Devil Summoner got a real bad rap. That game's barely a T, much less the M it got.

I'm guessing the ESRB wasn't too fond of all the teenagers pointing guns into their mouths, either. Yeah, they weren't "real" guns, but still.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes and yes but I go to Tartarus a fair bit and the shrine likes to screw me over.

It doesn't nail you THAT often. You should be donating the max every day with the possible exception of the day before a mission. You can always wait a couple days to go to Tartarus, and if you're sick or tired, you can work on your Courage at the nurse's office, so it's a reasonable gain either way.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    CoalCoal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I really would like to experience Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Where would be a good place to look (other than eBay)?

Coal on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Coal wrote: »
    So I really would like to experience Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Where would be a good place to look (other than eBay)?

It's incredibly hard to find these days. You either have to get lucky in the used bin of your local gaming store, or the aforementioned e-bay.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Quick question for those who've played P3:

When you register your personas into the compendium, do you go with the ones you've fused and leveled, or do you store their base unleveled forms? Which do you prefer for the purposes of fusing your "ultimate" personas?

I have this nasty plan for a Null-All Lucifer, but I don't know how feasible it is if all the personas I register have extra fused skills (which may lead to junk inheritance).

Darklyre on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I usually keep their max skill sets, but if you ever need an unaltered one, you could always just go into a lower section of Tartarus and maybe find the card for a base version.

That sounds nice to have, but I'd only see that coming in handy against the ultra boss.
    And I think she'll destroy you with Armageddon if you're immune to anything.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I have no problem with making different personas for different situations. I just wanted a Null-All Lucifer to cruise through Monad and inflate my e-penis. I'm almost certainly going to make random "ultimate" personas with all top tier elemental or physical or what-have-you abilities, if only because I'm obsessive when it comes to RPG skill development (especially with a system this freeform). Diablo 2? Titan Quest? I can think about skill plans alone for hours on end. :lol:

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I definitely go with the fused and leveled versions. Usually the last power a persona gets is pretty good, and valuable for fusing down the road (even at low levels).

The only problem with this is that you end up with a bunch of junk powers for the more powerful multi-persona fusions that you have to take some extra time filtering out in the Velvet Room so you get the power set you want. I don't have much problem with that, though, and will gladly spend an hour or two tinkering at Igor's.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Considering how deadly Elizabeth is, I have my doubts that Igor's really the one in charge there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Considering how deadly Elizabeth is, I have my doubts that Igor's really the one in charge there.

See I just figured she worked there for the employee discount.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's not much, but there's some character bios from Trinity Soul up here: http://www.persona-ts.net/character/index.html

Only two Persona users, and I don't recognize either of their Personae; except the main character's.
    I swear that's a Nyx reference.

Oh, and a subbed trailer.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone wanna translate the names? I forget too much from high school to do it myself.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's not much, but there's some character bios from Trinity Soul up here: http://www.persona-ts.net/character/index.html

Only two Persona users, and I don't recognize either of their Personae; except the main character's.

After looking through the art book for Persona 3, my girlfriend claimed "this looks like it would make a really cool movie, but it's probably a stupid game". For reference, my girlfriend doesn't like video games. I explained to her "well lucky you, the movie comes out in about 3 days, also, shut up".

2 and a half hours into Nocturne and I'm still digging everything. Just fused my first two demons. I have a feeling this game is going to devour my life.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    After looking through the art book for Persona 3, my girlfriend claimed "this looks like it would make a really cool movie, but it's probably a stupid game".
    Did you hit her? I would have hit her.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Anyone wanna translate the names? I forget too much from high school to do it myself.

Well, the Babelfish version does nothing.

Main:
    Shingo restraint (カンザト thin) CV: Akanashi school high section second grade of Okamoto Nobuhiko 凪. Especially, you are not shy, but it is not the case that, courage is the 据 わ っ て, average feeling and 17 years old of thought. Honest person. You had raised the parents in the dying/fleeing paragraph Tokyo aunt, but there being a reason, it returned to twill 凪 city of the home. Under non being conscious there is a plain specialty that it can embody can convert those which are touched. Why, you yearn the cool older brother, somewhere you love the younger brother who awakens, the health air the next man cell.

Glasses:
    Shingo 諒 (カンザト water caltrop) CV: The child cheaply to an eldest son of the Takehito Shingo Family, the chief of twill 凪 police station. The shade 28 years old which the mark are and do not laugh rarely. The bizarre incident which it is continual occurring in the inside of pipe is chased individually, from the fact that important information is concealed with special duty authority, doubt and rally of the part office member are bought. Passing the blank of 10 years, it tries to keep distance why younger brothers who meet again, with restraint collides, but vis-a-vis the 洵 something it seems that is the special thinking.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    After looking through the art book for Persona 3, my girlfriend claimed "this looks like it would make a really cool movie, but it's probably a stupid game".
    Did you hit her? I would have hit her.

I knocked her into next Tuesday. By the time she feels what hit her, I won't be around. No one will be the wiser.

Now let's never speak of this again.

I especially like this:

"You had raised the parents in the dying/fleeing paragraph Tokyo aunt"

Don't tell me what I did.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Well, the Babelfish version does nothing.

Main:
    Shingo restraint (カンザト thin) CV: Akanashi school high section second grade of Okamoto Nobuhiko 凪. Especially, you are not shy, but it is not the case that, courage is the 据 わ っ て, average feeling and 17 years old of thought. Honest person. You had raised the parents in the dying/fleeing paragraph Tokyo aunt, but there being a reason, it returned to twill 凪 city of the home. Under non being conscious there is a plain specialty that it can embody can convert those which are touched. Why, you yearn the cool older brother, somewhere you love the younger brother who awakens, the health air the next man cell.
    That sounds so dirty.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    WillemWillem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Trinity Soul looks interesting. I hope the writing is done by the same people from the SMT games, as I don't really like most anime.

Willem on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Last name first-
    Row1-Kanzato Shin---Kanzato Ryo
    2-Kanzato Jun---Kayano Megumi
    3-Sakakiba Takuro---Morimoto Kanaru
    4-Shikura Touma---Kimoto Yuuji
    5-Seno Sotaro (Shotaro?)---Tachibana Saki
    6-Nikaido Eiko---Ito Kunio
    7-Narasaki Tomohiro

Jun's forward-facing profile is impressively girlish.

Getting some Terra vibes from Saki.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »

Last name first-
    Row1-Kanzato Shin---Kanzato Ryo
    2-Kanzato Jun---Kayano Megumi
    3-Sakakiba Takuro---Morimoto Kanaru
    4-Shikura Touma---Kimoto Yuuji
    5-Seno Sotaro (Shotaro?)---Tachibana Saki
    6-Nikaido Eiko---Ito Kunio
    7-Narasaki Tomohiro

Jun's forward-facing profile is impressively girlish.

Getting some Terra vibes from Saki.
    Thanks.
    Touma is trying way too hard to be Shinji.
    Not that I blame him.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Willem wrote: »
    Trinity Soul looks interesting. I hope the writing is done by the same people from the SMT games, as I don't really like most anime.

See Gungrave. Give it a fair chance - after the first episode it does a 180 turn, destination greatness.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    WillemWillem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll definitely give it a chance. As far as anime and manga go, I can appreciate it when well written; I do love Kentaro Miura's Berserk. So, thanks for the heads up!

Willem on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Sign me up for that green haired girl. Dang, nice.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Second full moon complete.

Having a boss whose gimmick is changing his weaknesses is kind of pointless they just keep changing it to Strike.

Furu on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just did the November full moon. Good god, story overload there. It was awesome but I really would've liked if they let me save sometime within an hour of beating the boss. Jerks. Seriously, big spoiler ahead so don't read it unless you've done all the stuff right after November 4th's boss fight or so. I think that was when the boss fight was.
    Damn you Ikutsuki! I liked you and your terrible jokes! And now as Junpei said, you're just a shit-face and I hate you. That was a nice twist though and it was cool to see Aigis actually do something. They have such a hard-on for her and until this point, she hadn't done crap.

Gilder on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just now finally beat persona 3 (damn my short attention span, jumping from game to game). That was very satisfying, it also made me sad for multiple reasons, but satisfying. I think I got everything aside from a few S. Links (no worries, I got the most important ones ;) )which is pretty good for me, who usually looks at guides to make sure I get it all (I tried to not do that and spoil anything this time).

Right, now I really need to finish up that last dungeon in DDS2 so I can finally allow myself to start up a new game! (what is it with me leaving games hanging at the last dungeon)

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's understandable with DDS2 to leave off at the last dungeon though. That dungeon is way too long. I think it's about 3 hours or so your first time through. That doesn't even include time spent looking for treasure or leveling up for bosses. God forbid looking for the 2 special enemies to drop their 1 special item to fight 2 optional bosses. I must've spent 6 hours hunting them.

Gilder on
This discussion has been closed.