As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civil Partnerships and religion...

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I came across this story the other day, in which a regisrtrar has refused to perform civil partnership ceremonies between homosexual couples as it goes against her religion. I also read a discussion thread on the website of Britains best selling newspaper The Sun, about the subject.

Now, she may not be allowed to object to performing these duties if she wants to keep her job (that issue is stil unresolved), but in my own mind at least, I don't see where religion comes into a legal service such as a civil partnership. It is not a marriage in the religious sense, as it cannot contain anything religious or be performed in a place of worship. All it is, is a legal binding of two people, giving them the same legal rights as a heterosexual married couple.

So, the discussion, amongst other issues which I'm sure will crop up here, is this: should she be allowed to object to performing civil partnership ceremonies and still keep her job?

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Should she be allowed to refuse performing civil partnerships for gay couples based on her religion? If it is her job to do it, then no, she shouldn't be allowed to. Her religion shouldn't interfere with her job, or if it does, it'd be the time to find a job which she can perform without interference due to her beliefs.

It's the same as if someone went to work as a butcher, and then refused to do his/her job based on her religion stating that they aren't allowed to touch blood or some such thing. Should that person be allowed to stay, considering that they aren't doing their job?

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I can't see how anyone's rights are being violated, or how the world is made a worse place overall, if a different registrar is allowed to take on the cases she doesn't morally feel she can perform.

On the other hand, as a government employee, she is a public servant and a representative of her employers. So in the real world, it looks like she could be stuck choosing between her morals and her job if this is now a part of her job description.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    I can't see how anyone's rights are being violated, or how the world is made a worse place overall, if a different registrar is allowed to take on the cases she doesn't morally feel she can perform.

On the other hand, as a government employee, she is a public servant and a representative of her employers. So in the real world, it looks like she's forced to choose between her morals and her job if this is now a part of her job description.

No-one rights are being violated, but she is refusing to do something she is paid to do, which shouldn't be allowed. No-one else in any other job would get away with it, and I think everyone would be in uproar if she was refusing to marry inter-faith ot inter-racial couples.
    The thing is, this has nothing to do with her religion in the slightest. It is all a legal thing, so why should religion come into play, or be ALLOWED to come into play in this? If it were a gay couple wanting to get married in her church, then she'd have every right to refuse, but they are legally entitled to a civil partnership, and as someone who is paid to uphold the law she should do her job or leave it.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't see any difference between this and "I can't make these big macs 'cause they anger the fairies"

If you have some sort of internal belief, that's fine. But if it prevents you from doing that job, there's no difference between you and someone who physically cannot do said job.

Andorien on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm confused; Weren't civil partnerships designed as a legal means for gay couples to circumvent the ban on gay marriage?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Right. As someone who's in a position that requires her to represent the law, she doesn't get much of a say on the basis of how she feels about it.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Translation: She's full of shit, and she's either going to cave in or get fired.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Yep. It's completely a legal issue. Has nothing to do with beliefs, and if she doesn't do her job, what's there to stop her boss from firing her? You can't call it religious persecution, as she isn't fired due to her faith, but due to not doing what she is being paid for.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I'm confused; Weren't civil partnerships designed as a legal means for gay couples to circumvent the ban on gay marriage?

They provide the same legal standing as a marriage, but without the religious aspect. So while it may be 'circumventing' the ban on gay religious marriage as it were, it is still not technically a marriage. I'm not bothered about this aspect much as I'm not religious myself, and it would just be the legal aspects that I'd be interested in if I were to want to 'marry' my partner.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Yep. It's completely a legal issue. Has nothing to do with beliefs, and if she doesn't do her job, what's there to stop her boss from firing her? You can't call it religious persecution, as she isn't fired due to her faith, but due to not doing what she is being paid for.

And really, you can't say it's religious persecution if you're firing someone because they say their religion prevents them from doing their duty.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    See, I keep thinking on how what Christianity has agaisnt Homosexuals based on the new testament, especially material centered on Jesus, and there little, if anything, that could even be directed at them. Everything I find on the net merely amounts to "While Jesus did not mention gays, that does not mean he wasn't ENTIRELY AGAINST IT."

As for her job, reading further into it I actually kind of understand this, since it says she's had her current job before civil partnerships actually came into existence. Basically, she was probably fine with her job, then they added something she considered immoral and sinful onto her workload. I don't really agree with her point of view, but I understand the concern.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    See, I keep thinking on how what Christianity has agaisnt Homosexuals based on the new testament, especially material centered on Jesus, and there little, if anything, that could even be directed at them. Everything I find on the net merely amounts to "While Jesus did not mention gays, that does not mean he wasn't ENTIRELY AGAINST IT."

As for her job, reading further into it I actually kind of understand this, since it says she's had her current job before civil partnerships actually came into existence. Basically, she was probably fine with her job, then they added something she considered immoral and sinful onto her workload. I don't really agree with her point of view, but I understand the concern.

It seems like the proper course of action would be to quit. If my job suddenly called for boiling kittens, I'd either quit, or get fired for telling them the fuck off.

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Touche.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »

And really, you can't say it's religious persecution if you're firing someone because they say their religion prevents them from doing their duty.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I can understand it to a point, but then she is in a job to uphold the law, and laws change. She must have known this going into the job, even though it didn't exist back then. Plus, the Civil Partnership Act has been in effect for well over 2 years now... so why is she only just objecting to this?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Andorien wrote: »

It seems like the proper course of action would be to quit. If my job suddenly called for boiling kittens, I'd either quit, or get fired for telling them the fuck off.

That's only analogous if: A) boiling kittens is not illegal where you live, and B) boiling kittens is against your religious beliefs.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's only analogous if: A) boiling kittens is not illegal where you live, and B) boiling kittens is against your religious beliefs.

Well, you can substitute boiling kittens with whatever activity you find morally abhorrant. Lets say animal testing, that can get pretty nasty. It's a bit more of a gray zone, but still at least somewhat understandable.

As far as whether your belief is "religious" or not, I don't think really matters. It's my belief that boiling kittens is not very nice, I don't think you need to attach a whole worldview to it to be relevant. The fact that she's against gay marriage because her pastor/preacher/old book told her so isn't as important as the fact that she's against it.

Andorien on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can anyone actually point me to a part of the Bible that specifically states something along the lines of "thou shalt not get funky with thine own sex's nasty bits?"

Leviticus doesn't count.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Can anyone actually point me to a part of the Bible that specifically states something along the lines of "thou shalt not get funky with thine own sex's nasty bits?"

Leviticus doesn't count.

I'm pretty sure it only appears in Leviticus, but I could be wrong.

Why doesn't it could though? I'm pretty sure that part of the whole Jesus thing that was he wasn't trying to get rid of the OT, rather update it.

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Leviticus doesn't count.

Why doesn't it could though? I'm pretty sure that part of the whole Jesus thing that was he wasn't trying to get rid of the OT, rather update it.
    Leviticus' stance against homosexual conduct is flimsy, at best. Directly translated from the ancient hebrew it's more of a statement against homosexual prostitution than a general condemnation.

And I don't remember Jesus ever mentioning anything along the lines of "homos shall not be wed in the eyes of the Lord," in his speeches.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Leviticus doesn't count.

Because nobody pays attention to anything in Leviticus apart from 20:13.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    To be fair at the time promiscuity by either gender with men was probably a huge health risk.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

Leviticus doesn't count.

See also: if you weave two fabrics together into one garb, you're going to Hell. If you mix meat and dairy, you're going to Hell. If you eat red meat on a Friday, you're going to Hell.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Leviticus doesn't count.

Leviticus' stance against homosexual conduct is flimsy, at best. Directly translated from the ancient hebrew it's more of a statement against homosexual prostitution than a general condemnation.

And I don't remember Jesus ever mentioning anything along the lines of "homos shall not be wed in the eyes of the Lord," in his speeches.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that.

As for the J man, I figured it was more "If he didn't directly contradict something in the OT, then the OT ruling stands." Of course, that brings its own problems, but I don't think I'm qualified to sort out the various interpretations of an ancient, massive religion (in terms of numbers and sects).

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    To be fair at the time promiscuity by either gender with men was probably a huge health risk.
    Indeed. But if I remember correctly, Levi also spoke against women selling their kooch on the street, as well.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I just remembered this.

Goatmon on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know hell is going to be kickin' rad. Skilled weavers, awesome food. I'm looking forward to it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Leviticus doesn't count.

See also: if you weave two fabrics together into one garb, you're going to Hell. If you mix meat and dairy, you're going to Hell. If you eat red meat on a Friday, you're going to Hell.

If someone disrespects their parents, execute them. If someone commits adultery, execute them.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Leviticus doesn't count.

I know all about this, and what a clusterfuck it is. I figure that if they're gonna believe in a bunch of made up stuff, to the point of hating a specific group of people with a blind rage, then cherry picking what they like and don't like out of their holy book isn't their greatest sin.

It doesn't matter to them that Leviticus says a lot of fucked up stuff. There's a (probably mistranslated) line that justifies their feelings to themselves. Do you think they're gonna stop and read the rest and take it all to heart/throw out the whole thing because of what else is there?

Edit: you know, I should probably excuse myself from this, as I fear I'll help drive it to yet another lolreligion thread.

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Haha, so true electricitylikesme.
    I don't understand people who still object to civil partnerships when there is nothing religious about them at all. It then becomes less about protecting the sanctity of you religion and more about denying rights as dictated by the law because of your religion. Religion should have no place in law making or generally running the country. People can believe what they wish, so long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Leviticus doesn't count.

I know all about this, and what a clusterfuck it is. I figure that if they're gonna believe in a bunch of made up stuff, to the point of hating a specific group of people with a blind rage, then cherry picking what they like and don't like out of their holy book isn't their greatest sin.

It doesn't matter to them that Leviticus says a lot of fucked up stuff. There's a (probably mistranslated) line that justifies their feelings to themselves. Do you think they're gonna stop and read the rest and take it all to heart/throw out the whole thing because of what else is there?
    No. But I would hope that instead of following obviously bigoted and flawed dogma, they might stop for a minute and think about the beliefs they hold so dear. I mean, if killing someone for planting two crops in the same field seems absurd in a modern context, why, then, doesn't blind, flagrant hatred of homosexuality make just as little sense?

The most obvious answer I believe to myself comes directly from my education in human psychology: homosexual behavior violates their heteronormative perceived gender and sexual schemas, and thus is anathema to them. It's the same reason a lot of people hate furries; "because it's wrong."

Note that I'm not defending furries in any manner. Fuck those freaks.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I feel compelled to share a story about my maternal grandmother in here.

My grandma was always big on religion. Of course, she wasn't one to go around talking about it all the time, so she never struck me as a deeply zealous person. I've always perceived her as an Evangelical, but I was never able to figure out why she was so tolerant of behaviors and lifestyles that weren't in the mainstream consciousness and sphere of acceptance during her time growing up. I asked her about this one day, going so far as to quote some passages from Leviticus about it. She replied with "Leviticus says a lot of things, and most of them didn't even make sense back then. What makes you think they make more sense now?"

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The most obvious answer I believe to myself comes directly from my education in human psychology: homosexual behavior violates their heteronormative perceived gender and sexual schemas, and thus is anathema to them. It's the same reason a lot of people hate furries; "because it's wrong."

Note that I'm not defending furries in any manner. Fuck those fags.

I feel the need to point that that furries don't have sexual relationships differently than straight and/or heterosexual couples. Except the few that have sex in costumes. That's just nasty.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008

Note that I'm not defending furries in any manner. Fuck those fags.

I feel the need to point that that furries don't have sexual relationships differently than straight and/or heterosexual couples. Except the few that have sex in costumes. That's just nasty.
    They don animal costumes and jerk off on each other. They also create sexual "characters."

And the conventions, sweet merciful Christ.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I've got a whole cast of characters I've designed for a anthro webcomic that I'm working on. I've got no intention of having much in the way of sexual themes, but I'm sure rule 34 will kick in if it gains any kind of popularity. That'll be a fun* discovery.
    *Nauseating

But back to the subject at hand; It's amusing to know that there are older Christians, evangelicals especially, who are smart enough to sift through the older stuff and understand that it shouldn't all be taken seriously. So much of it very clearly was not meant to be used as the standards for today. Honestly; Eating meat on the wrong day? Wearing clothes made from two kinds of cloth? What the fuck is that even supposed to protect against?

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Honestly; Eating meat on the wrong day? Wearing clothes made from two kinds of cloth? What the fuck is that even supposed to protect against?
    SATAN!!!

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well some of that stuff, you know, just isn't convinient. It'd be great if God could send us a primer for modern living. I don't see how this lady has a leg to stand on. They've gone to all the trouble to remove religion from the proccess specifically because of ignorant people like her. She should either suck it up and deal with the knowledge that two dudes will be able to file taxes together and write wills for each other or find a new line of work.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I've got a whole cast of characters I've designed for a anthro webcomic that I'm working on. I've got no intention of having much in the way of sexual themes, but I'm sure rule 34 will kick in if it gains any kind of popularity. That'll be a fun* discovery.

There's a big difference between furry and just anthropomorphic. Donald Duck is anthropomorphic. To be furry, you need to have that creepy "I'm really a fox, and this is my inner self" vibe. Not necessarily a sexual thing.
    But back to the subject at hand; It's amusing to know that there are older Christians, evangelicals especially, who are smart enough to sift through the older stuff and understand that it shouldn't all be taken seriously. So much of it very clearly was not meant to be used as the standards for today. Honestly; Eating meat on the wrong day? Wearing clothes made from two kinds of cloth? What the fuck is that even supposed to protect against?

Old people, on the whole, are pretty sensible.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    hes in ur loinclothz, corrupting ur manz

Andorien on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This isn't even an issue of gay marriage or civil partnership or religion at all. This person wouldn't do her job, so she was fired. It's pretty cut and dry.

Aroused Bull on