As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 4th Edition: 1 day until multiclassing Preview. (38)

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ...or what was the name for the kobold polearm that was a scorpion on a stick?

On a side note, I just figured an equation to make esoteric die rolls for a number range.

Let us say that you have a number range you want to simulate, A to B (i.e. 1-6, 1-8, 2-12, etc.).
    First subtract A from B. That is your range, R. (B-A=R)
    If R is a prime number, you can only roll 1d(R+1) or Rd2, plus a number.
    If R is not a prime number, any number that can go into R, i.e. is evenly divisible, is a number of dice that you can roll. This is the number of dice, N. (If R/N=integer, N=viable number of dice)
    To determine the number of sides on the die, add the range to the number of dice and divide by the number of dice to get the die type, D. ( (R+N)/R=D )
    To determine the modifier, M, simply subtract the number of dice from the low number in the range, A (A-R=M).

In practice, let's take 1-20.
    20-1=19, a prime number, so we can only roll 1d20(+0) or 19d2-18. (The "-18" is A minus R; or 1 minus 19, which equals -18. Also, the "+0" of the 1d20 is 1 minus 1, which equals 0.)

Now let's take 1-10.
    R=9, not a prime number, is divisible by 1, 3, and 9.
    If N=1, D=10. A-N=0, so 1d10.
    If N=3, D=4. A-N=-2, so 3d4-2.
    If N=9, D=2. A-N=-8, so 9d2-8.
    All of these provide a result ranging from 1 to ten.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    you sir, are batshit loco for thinking about that for as long as you did.

i salute you.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If we're dragging out crazy old rules, what about the 1e psionics in the DMG. My ego whip defeats your fortress of id! Or does it? fuck

I was always a fan of the potion miscibilty tables, you know just in case I had to gamble on a 1 in 100 chance to save my ass.

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Roll for penny.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    delroland wrote: »

Edit: Ooo! or 10d2-6! WHEEEE!

y'know.

That actually sounds like a good method when you've got no dice but a pocket full of change.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Even at 1st level, a fighter who uses an axe has a different power selection than a fighter who relies on a flail or a rapier or a pick.

Unfortunately, with the critical threat range being dropped I doubt I can make my favorite character again, which one DM called "that crit asshole." Oh well, we'll see, but it would be nice if I could keep up a low str/high dex character without feeling compelled to go thief.

Pb on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    NOR wrote: »
    I've seen nothing but simplification from 4th edition. I cannot for the life of me figure out how you would get "becoming more complicated" out of any of this.

3e was supposed to "simplify" 2e, and we all know how that turned out.

I love, love, love your avatar/sig.

Thanks. ;-)

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Eh, there's plenty of crit boosting stuff they've mentioned... you're just not going to be critting every other round.

--

I think, with the core campaigns, I'm going to run them in the same setting and so forth, with a few things for the players to "cultivate" with their actions, so we can see how the parallel worlds end up at the end.

Obviously, there will be a ban on players of one checking out the other until everyone's done, but I think it'll be a good way to share how things run.

Maybe I'll even do a dual blog.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Eh, there's plenty of crit boosting stuff they've mentioned... you're just not going to be critting every other round.

--

I think, with the core campaigns, I'm going to run them in the same setting and so forth, with a few things for the players to "cultivate" with their actions, so we can see how the parallel worlds end up at the end.

Obviously, there will be a ban on players of one checking out the other until everyone's done, but I think it'll be a good way to share how things run.

Maybe I'll even do a dual blog.

Do you DM online often? cause this is sounding pretty awesome.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Do you DM online often? cause this is sounding pretty awesome.

I've done it once regarding D&D, and spent a few wonderful years playing and DMing 2E in the 90s. My online experience is mostly in dealing with freeform stuff. Playing four characters at once using pure text in huge blocks while talking in a chat room with a dozen people on each screen, on multiple games, etc.

I haven't had enough experience doing PnP for my taste, but it's a big enough focus in my life that it determined the degree I got in college. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Which was?

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    English.

I rocked those mythology courses.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Man, so maybe we really should all chip in so you can be a fulltime DM.

I wonder if there's a business model that could possibly make that work.....

Would you be willing to be sponsored by Mountain Dew and include product placements in all of your adventures?

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    A guy was on Enworld or Wizards Forum once who was actually paid to DM.

But unless you guys have a dental plan I'm not sure it'll work out.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What do you need teeth for?

Brawndo has electrolytes! It's what DMs crave!

OhtheVogonity on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What do you need teeth for?

Brawndo has electrolytes! It's what DMs crave!

No, see, I'm the new kind of DM.

The kind of DM who gets laid by hot sober women sometimes.

It's a brave new world.

--

Anyways, it looks like they're releasing information every day now, which makes sense since they're doing the type setting for the book now... Enworld is full of newish little tidbits if you guys haven't been keeping up, including some flavor info for Forgotten Realms. Basically everything went to hell except the really popular stuff.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Anyways, it looks like they're releasing information every day now, which makes sense since they're doing the type setting for the book now... Enworld is full of newish little tidbits if you guys haven't been keeping up, including some flavor info for Forgotten Realms. Basically everything went to hell except the really popular stuff.

So, in other words, everyone died. Except Driz'zt.

Reminds me of a nelf hunter I have in WoW. His name is Tzzird. (The "z"s are silent.)

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Drizzt, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Netherial, the Mithal places, etc., are all fine.

Oh and the dragonborn literally just fell out of a rip in space/time.

:P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I never really paid much attention to the settings at all. Read through the 3e FR setting book, once. I guess all the fluff is fun.

Getting reacquainted with things, I see there's this Eberron business. I think I approve heavily. I might even buy it so I can slowly reintroduce myself to the game. Any opinions on the setting?

OhtheVogonity on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I never really paid much attention to the settings at all. Read through the 3e FR setting book, once. I guess all the fluff is fun.

Getting reacquainted with things, I see there's this Eberron business. I think I approve heavily. I might even buy it so I can slowly reintroduce myself to the game. Any opinions on the setting?

Man, Eberron is fruitier than Farmer's Market in July.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    delroland wrote: »

Man, Eberron is fruitier than Farmer's Market in July.

While that is a great simile, can you expound upon that more deeply?

I can see that it veers a bit towards say... Final Fantasy territory, which could turn out very poorly.

But I could see how it might be awesome.

Can you elaborate?

OhtheVogonity on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    man there's nothing final fantasy about eberron.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    man there's nothing final fantasy about eberron.

Magitech is pretty hard core Final Fantasy.

They use the term in the games.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Inter-war european political atmosphere, actual integration of the psionics rules and fluff, Dinosaur-riding halflings, Warforged.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There's nothing really magitechish about it.

Just creative use of elementals.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I was being facetious. :P

Eberron is Pulp D&D. To give an example of play, in a campaign I ran, sky pirates attacked a lightning-powered magical locomotive by shooting it with a grappling ballista from their airship and then boarding so they could rob everyone on board. The PC's engaged them in an epic fight on top of the train while it was screaming down the tracks at a bajillion miles per hour (or 1.6 bajillion kph, if'n yer not frum 'round these parts, ya dirty ferners).

Or there was the tribe of midget lizardfolk who asked the PC's to recover an artifact from the evil dracotaur tribe's temple to the Dragon Below. That was especially awesome, because for their reward, the lizardfolk, on top of the previously promised reward, gave his youngest daughter's hand in marriage to the orc barbarian in the party, at which point the fiercest warrior of the tribe challenged the orc to a duel because he was in love with the chief's daughter.

Eberron, AKA Indiana Gnome and the [insert cool sounding campaign thing here].

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's just a little too steam punk looking for me, especially the warforged. When you have a technology-based CLASS....

Though that elemental stuff was intriguing.

My fantasy tends more towards Avatar or Vampire Hunter D.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    technology-based class?

What?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    He means the artificer.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    .... it's a class based around using wands and temporarily granting magic weapon bonuses.

And healing golems.

Edit: also, magic item creation.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I much prefer character power be in the character, not in their doodads and gizmos and stick-shaped ray guns.

Hence Electric Spiderman.

It's part of why I tend to lose interest in the eras where guns become a major force.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It sounds a little over the top to my tastes, but I'm sure it all depends on who's running it. Halflings on dinosaurs? Robots riding zombie ninjas?(okay, I made that one up)

I prefer a little bit more of a straight face.

Might still buy that setting book......

OhtheVogonity on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ... and guns are the one thing that are explicitly mentioned by the creator as not existing.

And isn't Vampire Hunter D pretty explicitly SciFi?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wonder how 4th Edition Iron Kingdoms is gonna turn out. :O

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    And isn't Vampire Hunter D pretty explicitly SciFi?

I meant more the style of it than the robotic horses and bitchy vampires of it. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ah, I see.

I don't even know which is sarcasm anymore :|

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think detecting internet sarcasm requires a fucking super-power.

Also: I'm giving in and buying the Eberron setting. Do the halflings need to ride dinosaurs? I'd rather they were detectives, with wide brimmed hats and slowly rotating fans. I mean, if you're telling me a partial inspiration for your setting is film noir, that's what I envision.

OhtheVogonity on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Eberron is pretty spiffy. It was well received in my circles. Not my cup of tea, but then nothing with 3.x was.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My fantasy tends more towards Avatar or Vampire Hunter D.

Man, I'd love to homebrew up an earth, water, air, and fire bender classes for 4th edition.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh man, killer adventure idea that will only exist in my head:
    A halfling detective investigating organized crime crosses paths with a paladin tasked with the same, and zany hijinks ensue.

So maybe that's more of a mid eighties cop-buddy movie. But why not?

OhtheVogonity on
This discussion has been closed.