As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 4th Edition: 1 day until multiclassing Preview. (38)

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dwarves never really seemed centered and wise to me, but their fictional portrayals tend to show them as stubborn, hard-headed, and frequently impulsive.

Maybe con and int.

Naw, it'll deffinitely be con and wis. Dwarves are iconically depicted as fighters and clerics and, while I'll grant you they don't often seem to care much for the icons for the next edition, dwarves as strong clerics is deffinitely one of the ones they are keeping.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My biggest hope is that they fix Fighters to be somewhat equal to the casting classes.

The couple times I played 3.5 it was always the same, around 12th level or so the Fighter becomes pretty much useless as the Clerics/Wizards/Druids start getting their big mojo and make the Fighter pretty obsolete.

But with what I'm hearing I'm hopeful. And maybe Fighters will get some decent skill choices this time as well?

Yes, fighter's are going to have lots of choices this time around. Some cool bits from enworld.org

Fighter's "powers" depend highly on the weapon they chose as primary - spears have different "powers" available than axes; swords and greatswords are very flexible in terms of said "powers".

The human fighter mentioned in a podcast has an ability which allows him to do strength damage even on a miss. In addition, it is mentioned that the fighter's gear in this particular example contains no magical items. He can self-heal using his own abilities. Is "actually able to inflict some damage with a thrown spear".

Even at 1st level, a fighter who uses an axe has a different power selection than a fighter who relies on a flail or a rapier or a pick. In the long run, fighters can diversify and master powers related to a few different weapons, but most will opt to focus on the weapon that suits their personal style, helps their interactions with the rest of the PCs in the group, and carries all the magical oomph they’ve managed to acquire."

Powers can be divided into assault, defense and control. Assault is best suited to two-handed weapons, and ephasize offense and damage. Defense is about higher AC and such things. Control hinder and constrain the enemy.

A fighter feat allows Dex to be added to AC even when wearing hvy armor.

Are you salivating yet?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I will admit right now that I have always had a bit of a hard-on for dragons.

Ive tried to play a half-dragon many times.

I actually got my DM to edit the Dragon Disciple PrC so that a barbarian could take it.

I know that my first character will be a Dragonborn.

I will also probly take all the feats I can that enrich the draconic heritage. I remember reading something about maybe being able to get feats for wings and breath weapons and such. I will be all over that.

Im fairly certain that I am the type of person that is targeted with the inclusion of Dragonborn in core, and I am more than ok with that.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Based on this image I'd say wings are a very real possibility:
    4e4.jpg

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rumor has it there'll be a "Fire Breath" racial feature as well.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wait... are his wings made of leather or is that armor all over his wings?

EDIT: Also, since Im kinda talkin about dragons, did whatever source was talking about the monsters and worlds book give any indication of what the Adamantine dragon was? Like what element, or what the breath weapon was or anything?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That image appeals to be.

Re: fighter abilities. Anything that includes "behead that pesky mage, to show him who's really the boss"? Because if a fighter comes across an unarmored opponent like that...

Not explicitly, but R&C's info on the wizard did imply heavilly and repetitively that as a wizard if something gets to you, you're basically fucked.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm getting a bit excitd about the warlord, it reminds me of an idea for a bard I had where instead of singing or something, he had just studied quite a lot of tactics and was able to let other party members know when blows were coming, or where an enemies weak point was, etc.

Also, I picked up the class/race book and thoroughly enjoyed the info on humans, sounds like they still want to make them a jack-of-all-trades race which is cool in my opinion, I've made more human characters than all other races combined because it's so easy to make a character idea work with them.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It actually comes out and says that some dragonborn can better develop breath attacks and grow wings. That picture really just looks like leather wings or a cape however, trying to look like wings.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It actually comes out and says that some dragonborn can better develop breath attacks and grow wings. That picture really just looks like leather wings or a cape however, trying to look like wings.

Yeah, exactly, I will be taking any and all feats / powers / abilities that will make me a dragon.

Atleast for my first character, to get it out of my system.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Geez, Pony is fucking psychic.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Geez, Pony is fucking psychic.

The man does have his finger on the vein. Of adventure.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I feel obliged to follow up with some tasteless innuendo.

But instead, I'm just going to give a thumbs-up to more good news.

:^:

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

The same kind of transformation seems to be in place for the tieflings.

I think that "War of Wings" is a suggestion that both sides ended up dogfighting each other.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    God, I want to be a flying dragonborn barbarian tearing shit up. RAR SLASH FLAMES! Totally awesome.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I'm interested in either playing in or running a 4e game when the materials are finally made available. Do I need to sign up somewhere or something?

I'll throw you on the front page later tonight, gotta get back to work right no--Oh heya boss.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, I'm interested in either playing in or running a 4e game when the materials are finally made available. Do I need to sign up somewhere or something?
    Same here, I'd love to play.

The Warlord intrigues me, as I always wanted to play a Fighter type as a great leader of men, and the Warlord seems to have some of those characteristics. Plus, it's a totally new class, so I'm all over it.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    Sword_of_LightSword_of_Light Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I donno - this seems to be getting overly complicated, and for me, simplicity was the selling point of D&D. Shadowrun became playable because they simplified it, and D&D became a whole lot easier when they revamped the AC process. But even with the old 10 to -10 AC system, D&D was easy to play.
    Really, I think all these Races of the Elements Races of Dragonkind, Races of DesMoines are just a scam to part the money from unimaginative players.

"Its all weird gods and plush toys now. What happened to 'you enter a 10 x 10 room, an orc is guarding a chest'?"
    -Yammara

Sword_of_Light on
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Im curious, what seems to be complicated?

I ask because from my point of view they're simplifying just about everything except for fluff. Now granted I didnt pay much attention to the fluff of 3/3.5 but alot of the races histories seem more detailed.

And really you could just ignore that if you dont like it.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Really, I mean, 3.5 was pretty damn complicated, and from what I hear SW Saga streamlined a lot of stuff.

I see no reason to think 4th Edition will be much different. Having a lot of options doesn't mean it has to be complicated.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've seen nothing but simplification from 4th edition. I cannot for the life of me figure out how you would get "becoming more complicated" out of any of this.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    NOR wrote: »
    I've seen nothing but simplification from 4th edition. I cannot for the life of me figure out how you would get "becoming more complicated" out of any of this.

3e was supposed to "simplify" 2e, and we all know how that turned out.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shit, MAY was far enough away. On the one hand, having to wait 2 months after that to get the remaining books to run a proper game seemed like no fun, but at least we got the PHB in May. On the other hand, having to wait a few weeks more for any books and getting all 3 at once doesn't seem like too too bad of a trade off. As it stands, my girlfriend wants me to teach her how to play NOW, and I want to wait till the new books come out.

Uh, I was under the impression that the Corebooks were originally June, July and August. H1 comes out in May and includes quickstart rules and pre-made characters to allow it to be played as a sort of preview.

wateyad on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Actually, the stuff it did simplify or streamlined it did well. IE: saves, to hit, and whatnot.

Then it added stuff that made things complicated. Like cross-class skills and the bajillion different AC sources.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Actually, the stuff it did simplify or streamlined it did well. IE: saves, to hit, and whatnot.

Then it added stuff that made things complicated. Like cross-class skills and the bajillion different AC sources.
    As someone who played 2e for about 8 years before switching to 3e: 3e most definitely simplified 2e, if only because you can make a 3e character without pulling out a book if you know what you're doing, whereas that was impossible in 2e without having about 10 different tables memorized.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thinatos wrote: »

As someone who played 2e for about 8 years before switching to 3e: 3e most definitely simplified 2e, if only because you can make a 3e character without pulling out a book if you know what you're doing, whereas that was impossible in 2e without having about 10 different tables memorized.
    Not to mention the rules changed drastically depending on which setting you were playing in.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Honestly the biggest 2e-3e change was that if I wanted to answer a rule question it would more often than not have an actual answer. Too often in 2e things were just "Eh, ask you DM." They still exist (and should) in 3e but they're much less frequent.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh shit that weapons table in... was it 1e or 2e?

I'm getting this mental image of a massive chart of like 50 different polearms and their stats.

Buh.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The polearm orgy was 2e. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Oh shit that weapons table in... was it 1e or 2e?

I'm getting this mental image of a massive chart of like 50 different polearms and their stats.

Buh.

It's both, but in 1st Ed the chart had to-hit modifiers for what AC you were attacking. So not only did you have to subtract AC from THAC0, but you also had a bonus or penalty arbitrarily assigned based on what weapon you were wielding versus the base AC of the target.

And don't forget the different damage versus different sized targets. In 1st Ed, they also didn't specify the dice rolled; they just gave you the range for damage. Some weapons did 4-14 damage, for example. So was that 1d11+3, 2d6+2, or 5d3-1?

Edit: Ooo! or 10d2-6! WHEEEE!

Edit2: And is the 1-8 longsword supposed to be 1d8 or 7d2-6? :roll:

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yes... godddamnit those were stupid rules.

When people complain about weapons being too much the same it makes me want to hold that chart up in front of their faces.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes... godddamnit those were stupid rules.

When people complain about weapons being too much the same it makes me want to hold that chart up in front of their faces.

And then stab them in the groin with a bill-fauchard. Or was it slash?

Man, fuck you 1st/2nd Ed polearms.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That reminds me of the Player Option for having different AC values for your armour based on the incoming attack type (B/S/P)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    or the glaive or the guisarme or the glaive-guisarme or the bill-guisarme or the voulge or the pike or the poleaxe or the halberd or the bardiche or the fauchard or the ranseur or the lucerne hammer or the...

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So many choices. And yet you rarely see a PC with one like ever.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    ...or the partisan or the spetum or the bec de corbin or the awl pike or the fauchard-fork or the trident...

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I killed a guy with a trident.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ...or the partisan or the spetum or the bec de corbin or the awl pike or the fauchard-fork or the trident...

Man-catcher. :winky:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's what I liked about being a dwarf fighter. You can bring one of every weapon and still keep ploddin' along at your 20 ft. per move action.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Quite well.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
This discussion has been closed.