As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help finding the right game...

isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
It seems like every thread I start gets locked within a few seconds, so hopefully this post doesn't go against some secret rule on the forums, if it does, I'm sorry. I plead ignorance.

I have a problem, I really want to be playing a game, to be immersed in that perfectly crafted world, but I can NOT seem to find that game. Every game I try to play ends up just not being very fun. I tried playing Bioshock, the Orange Box, Lord of the Rings online, Command and Conquer 3, Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy XI online, Morrowind, etc... but none have really caught my attention (although Portal was awesome, I beat it too fast and got bored when i tried to play the bonus content). I'm yet to start HL2 episode 2, but I'm just not in the mood.

Ideally, the kind of game I want to play is an MMO, but the grind is simply too insane to actually get into one. Final Fantasy XI seems like the perfect game till I start playing and realize "Oh yeah, this is why I don't play this game. It's impossible".

To give a more clear idea of what I'm actually looking for, here's my favorite parts of games:
-In depth character development. My favorite part of most games is getting my character to look like a total badass. This is partially why FFXI was so appealing, just looking at a samarai in their legendary armor (or whatever it's called. Artifact armor? Something like that) makes me want to play. However, as anyone who's played most MMOs can tell you, you do NOT look like that. You probably never will. You look like a peasant that just had a bird shit on their shit colored tights.

-Easy to get into. Thus disqualifying most MMOs. Half life 2 is a prime example of a game that pulled me into it's world without exactly being huge. It was just... immersive, yet it eased you in.

-Almost conflicting with the last one, it needs to be relatively interesting. That is probably the biggest factor that needs to be balanced. I don't want something that's the same old thing. I like really learning about a games world, like any final fantasy. A complex class system is one of the things that helps this one. If there are a bunch of interesting cool classes that each is unique, I'm interested in the game. Lord of the rings online felt like every class was basically the same, and took out the element of planning your character. It seemed to simple, where there was no reward for your long leveling, you just got better attack an more life....

Hope I'm not being impossible to please, I'm just really depressed and can't find the right game to enjoy. Any and all (helpful) comments are appreciated.

isaac17 on
«1

Posts

  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sounds like an action-RPG would probably be up your alley. They're centred around character development, and it's not at all impossible to get pimped out. They're interactive, the good ones are relatively deep-ish, you can play them by yourself or with friends, there's no sitting around between mobs.

    Or just get into a competitive FPS.

    /me winks and nods toward his sig.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've got team fortress, half life 2 deathmatch, etc..., but they don't really pull me in much, it's just 'sorta fun'. A game with co-op or an online game is also a plus as playing with close friends almost always makes it funner.

    isaac17 on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Someone needs to play Diablo II. And read the damn rules thread - they're not 'secret' , they're immortalized forever at the top of the damn forumn.

    JihadJesus on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    World of Warcraft? The trip to 70 is the best MMO experience of all time, and it sounds like it might take you a while to get there, which isn't a bad thing.

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read the rules thread, thank you very much. I'm not an idiot, but not all of us remembers every rule of every forum we belong to...

    Diablo games just seem to lack enough depth to really pull me in. But I haven't ever played it, so maybe I'll . Although I usually trust IGN, they seem to have the same taste in games that I have, and I avoid any game that scores lower than an 8.5 (Diablo 2 has an 8.3)

    I really dont' have a right to have a bias against World of Warcraft, but I do. I've heard that even though WoW is less grindy than other MMOs (Like FFXI), it's still pretty much based around grinding through levels. I believe that it really is the best MMO out there, but I just can't convince myself to play it. I have a very addictive personality and I worry that I'll get TOO addicted to WoW (even though part of what I'm asking for here are games you CAN get addicted to, so maybe I should actually give it another chance).

    isaac17 on
  • LemmyLemmy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mass Effect?

    Pretty much covers your list.

    Lemmy on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    isaac17 wrote: »
    I read the rules thread, thank you very much. I'm not an idiot, but not all of us remembers every rule of every forum we belong to...

    Diablo games just seem to lack enough depth to really pull me in. But I haven't ever played it, so maybe I'll . Although I usually trust IGN, they seem to have the same taste in games that I have, and I avoid any game that scores lower than an 8.5 (Diablo 2 has an 8.3)

    I really dont' have a right to have a bias against World of Warcraft, but I do. I've heard that even though WoW is less grindy than other MMOs (Like FFXI), it's still pretty much based around grinding through levels. I believe that it really is the best MMO out there, but I just can't convince myself to play it. I have a very addictive personality and I worry that I'll get TOO addicted to WoW (even though part of what I'm asking for here are games you CAN get addicted to, so maybe I should actually give it another chance).

    You really should give yourself another chance with it, even if it's just to level 70. Only the end-game is a grind, and only if you let it be. You can quest all the way up to level 70 with absolute ease. No spawn camping or grinding out levels by killing the same baddies over and over. If you decide to fire it up, feel free to join up on Stormscale (US), a PVP server and PM me here. I can give you some starter gold and/or run you through some quests and/or instances for gear should you need help. Not sure where the rest of the PA guys play, however.

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lemmy wrote: »
    Mass Effect?

    Pretty much covers your list.

    Damn. I don't have a 360, but I really wanted to play this game. I can't justify spending 300 just to get a 360 setup just for that game though...

    The other problem I had with WoW is that I judged the entire game by how it looked on their website. The cartoony style just didn't sit right with me. I'll probably end up getting a better picture of what the game is actually like tonight sometime and actually consider WoW as an option. As far as leveling goes, how long WOULD you say it would take to get to 70, playing an average of 20 hours per week?

    isaac17 on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mass Effect. Maybe Crackdown, but the shelf life of it decreases rather quickly.

    EskimoDave on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just out of curiosity, why did Morrowind not work for you? It sounds just about perfect for what you're looking for. Sure, the combat's poo, but there are eleventy-billion mods out there to address just about any issue you could possibly have. And only having the XBox version doesn't count, as most PCs these days can run it at max, and it's dirt cheap.

    Dartboy on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I really want to recommend Monster Hunter as it really comes close to satisfying your gameplay wants, but many people seem quite frustrated by its unusual attack controls (simplified on PSP versions) and having to learn what constitutes an "opening" to attack semi-realistic train-engine-sized monsters.

    Still, if you're open to finding and learning your favorite weapon type (each handles VERY differently) it's actually a very fair game with a rather unique setting that offers much, much equippable badassery which you can be very proud of. If you have a chance to try out a friend's copy or something, go for it.

    IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm afraid the game that you want does not exist yet, though there are some really great games that cover at least some of those points you made. Seeing the Infinety Engine thread on the first page has me reminded of Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment, two absolutely outstanding games that may just give you everything that you're looking for.

    Let's see:
    ... I really want to be playing a game, to be immersed in that perfectly crafted world ...

    You won't find any better in any other game.
    Easy to get into

    Both games are based on (older) D&D rulesets, so it should be anything but easy to get into them. Especially with Planescape Torment, it's definitely not the case, but if you can get past the rather dated and clunky gameplay and interface, you will be rewarded with the best writing in any video game to date.
    Ideally, the kind of game I want to play is an MMO ...

    Well, they aren't. If this doesn't turn you off immediately however, both offer you lenghtly epic singleplayer quests.
    In depth character development. My favorite part of most games is getting my character to look like a total badass

    You go from a nobody to the God of Murder over the course of 150+ hours, I guess there's plenty enough character developement involved.
    Almost conflicting with the last one, it needs to be relatively interesting. That is probably the biggest factor that needs to be balanced. I don't want something that's the same old thing. I like really learning about a games world, like any final fantasy. A complex class system is one of the things that helps this one. If there are a bunch of interesting cool classes that each is unique, I'm interested in the game

    Hey, it's Dungeon & Dragons, what else is there to say? :)


    If you want to find out more about the games, take a look at the discussion about Infinety Engine games here.


    Other games you should look into:

    Neverwinter Nights - large user created persistent worlds, D&D ruleset, very close to an actual MMORPGs, no monthly fees
    Gothic 2 - fantastic and believeable game world, but from what I heard the English tranlation is not-so-great

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also, if we're going to bring MMOs into the mix, my recommendation is for City of Heroes. It's rather casual and easy to get into compared to other MMOs, and character creation/appearance is one of the best you'll get. You can create a character that looks badass right off the bat, and the community is one of the friendliest and most accomisating you'll get in MMOs.

    Dartboy on
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why did Morrowind not work for you? It sounds just about perfect for what you're looking for. Sure, the combat's poo, but there are eleventy-billion mods out there to address just about any issue you could possibly have. And only having the XBox version doesn't count, as most PCs these days can run it at max, and it's dirt cheap.

    I have the PC version, and I started playing it again last week (with a new character). I have most of the best mods on too. And yeah, the battle system sucks but even that doesn't really bother me.

    My only problem with it is I've had it for years (love that game), so it's nothing NEW to me, which is a lot of what I'm asking for here. I've already explored the world, gotten my new character to level 50, played a LOT of quests, etc., but it's just not a new adventure to me anymore.

    I'll look into Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment, as IGN obviously thought pretty highly of them.

    I also realize that what I'm looking for might not exist, which is what I'm afraid of, but I figured I'd try asking first. Any more suggestions?

    isaac17 on
  • antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ultima 7. Both parts, both expansions. The most interactive worlds ever made in gaming. Fantastic story as well. I really wouldn't give that much value to IGN's reviews... At it's release, Diablo 2 was quite the experience. Everyone that was in online gaming was playing it, and having a blast. You don't see that with an 8.3

    antifood on
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think you don't really want to find a fun game to play. I think you just wanna get us to name a bunch of awesome games for you to shoot down.

    I mean come on, "I don't play games that score less than an 8.5 (diablo got a 8.3)"

    Just play WoW or start taking heroin on a regular basis, same difference.

    CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gothic 2 - fantastic and believeable game world, but from what I heard the English tranlation is not-so-great

    I agree that it's a wonderful game (as is the first one), but I'd have to say that I actually like the English translation and the voicework done for the game.

    Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Although I have yet to play it, apparently Witcher is pretty good. But if Bioshock didn't pull you in....
    that's tough man, tough.

    And to cover some bases, you didn't mention Oblivion. Check that out.

    Also...you're nuts for not trying Diablo 2 out just because it got a number.

    Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Here's my deal: I'm a senior in high school, I work 20 hours per week, I'm a musican/recording artist that spends a lot of time playing guitar, writing or recording music. I have an active social life, I love to read, I try to keep up with a select few TV shows, I need to spend time with my family, and I work out for about an hour per day to stay in good shape.

    Is it not fair for me to only want to play the best of the best video games? I honestly don't have enough time to spend it playing games that aren't absolutely fantastic. Every game that has looked cool, that didn't get over an 8.5 on IGN that I've thought 'eh, whatever, it's probably still a great game' has ended up not being the best use of my time.

    I haven't played oblivion yet, so you have a good point there. And in Bioshock's defense, I'm only an hour in, and I had the settings turned up so high that I got lag, making it extremely difficult and FRUSTRATING. I'm confident once I'm in the mood for bioshock I'll absolutely love it.

    Not shooting down games, just crossing the ones off the list that I don't think I'll end up playing, I mean no insult on your favorite games.

    isaac17 on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes, that's all fine and good, and I feel much the same way most of the time, but I'm sure you like some music, a movie, a book, a TV show, or whatever, that isn't completely critically acclaimed. Sometimes you do need to give things a chance. And what the hell? You tried FF11, but you won't try Diablo 2? That's warped.

    PS. I think it may say a lot about a game that, whether it's critically acclaimed or not, people are still playing it in droves more than 10 years later.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would give Guild Wars a shot. Given that you can level to max in less than four hours(provided you're playing Factions, otherwise it's a slower but still rapid pace that has effectively NO grind for levels, and max armor is easily attainable as well) and it has an excellent combat system that's very tactical and fun, and an active PvP community.

    Also, it has AMAZING(oh god amazing) art direction and a really cool history, if you care to dig into and read the lore.

    Get the original game, if you enjoy that get Factions, then Nightfall, then Eye of the North. At worst it's a small money investment that you can come back to when you're bored.

    Also, with your short periods of available time, the questing/mission system is perfect since nothing except the big-ass elite dungeons take more than forty minutes to complete.

    Rainfall on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I'll take this time to recommend Legend of Zelda. Ocarina of Time if you've got an N64 (who doesn't?), Twilight Princess if you've got a Wii. Granted, they're not RPGs, but they are the highest calibur of gaming. As for RPGs, Knights of the Old Republic is great if you're sporting an Xbox or it'll work on your computer. There's plenty of customization available there.

    For a more modern RPG experience, I really enjoyed NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer. There's tons of customization available, and you can really make it as simple or complex as you want. I personally just wanted to control my character and let the AI take care of the other characters, so I dialed back the difficulty and went to town. It's based on D&D 3.5 (I think) so there's a lot of complexity if you really want to get into it, but for most of the options it's got a "Recommended" button that does a pretty good job of knowing what your character needs when you don't.

    Terrendos on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    isaac17 wrote: »
    Here's my deal: I'm a senior in high school, I work 20 hours per week, I'm a musican/recording artist that spends a lot of time playing guitar, writing or recording music. I have an active social life, I love to read, I try to keep up with a select few TV shows, I need to spend time with my family, and I work out for about an hour per day to stay in good shape.

    Is it not fair for me to only want to play the best of the best video games? I honestly don't have enough time to spend it playing games that aren't absolutely fantastic. Every game that has looked cool, that didn't get over an 8.5 on IGN that I've thought 'eh, whatever, it's probably still a great game' has ended up not being the best use of my time.

    I haven't played oblivion yet, so you have a good point there. And in Bioshock's defense, I'm only an hour in, and I had the settings turned up so high that I got lag, making it extremely difficult and FRUSTRATING. I'm confident once I'm in the mood for bioshock I'll absolutely love it.

    Not shooting down games, just crossing the ones off the list that I don't think I'll end up playing, I mean no insult on your favorite games.

    I honestly wouldn't use IGN as a basis for deciding on what to play, or any exclusive review site for that matter. Something along the lines of metacritic or gamerankings may be better suited to your needs.

    Masonite on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Masonite wrote: »
    isaac17 wrote: »
    Here's my deal: I'm a senior in high school, I work 20 hours per week, I'm a musican/recording artist that spends a lot of time playing guitar, writing or recording music. I have an active social life, I love to read, I try to keep up with a select few TV shows, I need to spend time with my family, and I work out for about an hour per day to stay in good shape.

    Is it not fair for me to only want to play the best of the best video games? I honestly don't have enough time to spend it playing games that aren't absolutely fantastic. Every game that has looked cool, that didn't get over an 8.5 on IGN that I've thought 'eh, whatever, it's probably still a great game' has ended up not being the best use of my time.

    I haven't played oblivion yet, so you have a good point there. And in Bioshock's defense, I'm only an hour in, and I had the settings turned up so high that I got lag, making it extremely difficult and FRUSTRATING. I'm confident once I'm in the mood for bioshock I'll absolutely love it.

    Not shooting down games, just crossing the ones off the list that I don't think I'll end up playing, I mean no insult on your favorite games.

    I honestly wouldn't use IGN as a basis for deciding on what to play, or any exclusive review site for that matter. Something along the lines of metacritic or gamerankings may be better suited to your needs.

    Hell, I'm at the point where I only trust word of mouth on these forums.

    Haven't been steered wrong yet.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Masonite wrote: »
    isaac17 wrote: »
    Here's my deal: I'm a senior in high school, I work 20 hours per week, I'm a musican/recording artist that spends a lot of time playing guitar, writing or recording music. I have an active social life, I love to read, I try to keep up with a select few TV shows, I need to spend time with my family, and I work out for about an hour per day to stay in good shape.

    Is it not fair for me to only want to play the best of the best video games? I honestly don't have enough time to spend it playing games that aren't absolutely fantastic. Every game that has looked cool, that didn't get over an 8.5 on IGN that I've thought 'eh, whatever, it's probably still a great game' has ended up not being the best use of my time.

    I haven't played oblivion yet, so you have a good point there. And in Bioshock's defense, I'm only an hour in, and I had the settings turned up so high that I got lag, making it extremely difficult and FRUSTRATING. I'm confident once I'm in the mood for bioshock I'll absolutely love it.

    Not shooting down games, just crossing the ones off the list that I don't think I'll end up playing, I mean no insult on your favorite games.

    I honestly wouldn't use IGN as a basis for deciding on what to play, or any exclusive review site for that matter. Something along the lines of metacritic or gamerankings may be better suited to your needs.

    Hell, I'm at the point where I only trust word of mouth on these forums.

    Haven't been steered wrong yet.

    Well, likewise, but that obviously doesn't seem to be enough in this case.

    Masonite on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You might want to try out stalker. Granted, it doesn't hit all of your points. Its not the greatest game in the world either. But the world? It pulls you in like nothing else. The atmosphere alone is worth the purchase. And bonus points for mods and steam-buyable.

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oblivion maybe?

    I would also suggest Mass Effect is worth any dollar amount ever.

    matthias00 on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Go buy Phantasy Star Online for like, five dollars. Probably the best fun to money ratio, I'd say. It's like Diablo as a beat-em-up in the future, and there's offline multiplayer if you want that.

    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would have to agree with the Diablo II recommendation. Also, you could try Dungeon Seige II (better than 1 IMO.) Your characters always end up looking badass with glowing weapons and such.

    tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    et.jpg

    This is the masterpiece which the op has been searching for.

    leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So you want a huge game with loads of hours to put in, but you don't really have the time for games.

    ok

    Snare on
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    et.jpg

    This is the masterpiece which the op has been searching for.

    That's just plain awesome :P.

    I realize I'm contradicting myself on the time issue, because I want a game that I can consistently go back to, but not a total time sink. Like when I played ragnarok online 4 years ago. I could put as much time in that as I wanted without getting bored (if I had some free time), or i could take 3 months off and pick up exactly where I left off.

    Fine, I'll give diablo 2 a chance, you people seem to really like it. REALLY like it... Is it in stores or do I need to snag it on like amazon or something...? My buddy has guildwars so maybe he'll let me steal that for a while. Zelda is another one, I own Ocarina & Twilight, but haven't beat ocarina or started twilight yet.

    isaac17 on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You can find Diablo II "Battle Chests" at any major store like Best Buy or Walmart. They'll have D2 and its expansion. Don't forget the expansion, whatever you do.

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    isaac17 wrote: »
    Lemmy wrote: »
    Mass Effect?

    Pretty much covers your list.

    Damn. I don't have a 360, but I really wanted to play this game. I can't justify spending 300 just to get a 360 setup just for that game though...

    The other problem I had with WoW is that I judged the entire game by how it looked on their website. The cartoony style just didn't sit right with me. I'll probably end up getting a better picture of what the game is actually like tonight sometime and actually consider WoW as an option. As far as leveling goes, how long WOULD you say it would take to get to 70, playing an average of 20 hours per week?

    If you wanted to play Mass Effect but don't have a 360, why not try any of Bioware's other RPGs? They're all available for PC and seriously, most of them tick all the boxes on your list. Just stay away from NWN1; that's far too dated now.

    Janson on
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Alrighty then, bioware it is. Since I've only ever heard good things about Knights of the Old Republic, and it looks like the type of thing I'm going for, I need help finding it... I haven't seen it in any local store in almost a year, and amazon doesn't carry it .I think you can buy it used for 20 on amazon, but I remember seeing it cost 10 bucks in stores. Did I miss out on the 10$ deal, or are there places that still sell it cheap?

    isaac17 on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I would have to agree with the Diablo II recommendation. Also, you could try Dungeon Seige II (better than 1 IMO.) Your characters always end up looking badass with glowing weapons and such.

    I wholeheartedly agree. The Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 stories aren't super engaging, but its good fun. I was hooked on both games for a long time and played them with my wife.

    Also I can't believe no one mentioned Neverwinter Nights. The original single player game was hit or miss (I enjoyed it though), but the expansions are quality and the amount of free player-created content is unmatched in any game I can think of. There were even some persistent-world servers being run, though I never tried them myself. Character development is engaging (might want to read up on D&D character creation though - it helps a lot), the game is easy to get into and if the original quest lines don't interest you there is guaranteed to be a player created module out there that will.

    Its true the game isn't very new, but its far newer then Diablo 2 which many people are recommending. Or try Neverwinter Night's 2 if graphics are a big deal to you, though NWN2 has far fewer modules created by the community.

    Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    isaac17 wrote: »
    Alrighty then, bioware it is. Since I've only ever heard good things about Knights of the Old Republic, and it looks like the type of thing I'm going for, I need help finding it... I haven't seen it in any local store in almost a year, and amazon doesn't carry it .I think you can buy it used for 20 on amazon, but I remember seeing it cost 10 bucks in stores. Did I miss out on the 10$ deal, or are there places that still sell it cheap?

    Hm, I've seen KotOR2 selling for $10 in stores, but I can't recall seeing KotOR1 on sale...

    Janson on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    isaac17 wrote: »
    Alrighty then, bioware it is. Since I've only ever heard good things about Knights of the Old Republic, and it looks like the type of thing I'm going for, I need help finding it... I haven't seen it in any local store in almost a year, and amazon doesn't carry it .I think you can buy it used for 20 on amazon, but I remember seeing it cost 10 bucks in stores. Did I miss out on the 10$ deal, or are there places that still sell it cheap?

    Hm, I've seen KotOR2 selling for $10 in stores, but I can't recall seeing KotOR1 on sale...

    Here or eBay if nothing else.

    Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Also I can't believe no one mentioned Neverwinter Nights.
    Neverwinter Nights - large user created persistent worlds, D&D ruleset, very close to an actual MMORPGs, no monthly fees

    ehem

    And if you really want to start with Bioware games, you should know that Baldurs Gate >>> Kotor.

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I too think Baldur's Gate is better than KotOR but I also feel that KotOR is a little easier to get into, and more people know a little about the Star Wars universe than they do D&D.

    Janson on
Sign In or Register to comment.