As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FYI: User Viewing Counts no longer realtime

RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000Administrator, ClubPA admin
The count of users viewing a forum, which appears next to each forum name on the index, like so: [xxx viewing] is no longer being updated realtime. It is now loaded from a cache, which is refreshed every 10 minutes.

It's just a minor little thing, so don't expect any great performance improvements thanks to this, but since 10% of our pageviews are index.php pageviews, any little thing I can do there is probably going to have /some/ impact, I hope.

Ramius on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The servers are certainly feeling a bit faster now, Ramius. Between turning searching off and whatever arcane server magic you've managed to work, this seems to be a lot less laggy then it was a few weeks ago.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I haven't had a single timeout so far all today, nor yesterday, and I haven't noticed any pageloads longer than 10 seconds, and only one or two longer than instant.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know this is ancient, but are we going to change back to it being real-time or even updating at all?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never knew this change was implemented so long ago. I guess I never concerned myself with how many people were viewing what.

If anything the thread bump is a nice opportunity for me to go RAMIUS WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR AVATAR D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am pretty sure it is a lemur of some kind.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    WafflesWaffles Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Hi, I'm new,
    It's a Tarsier monkey.
    bye.

Waffles on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Absolutely wonderful

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And people ask me why I love the PA forums so damn much.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    Waffles wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new,
    It's a Tarsier monkey.
    bye.

I don't want to get further off topic, but this is conceivably the best first post I've ever seen.

Tube on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know... I am kind of torn on the whole thing.

Edit: And on the topic, I think this is a pretty reasonable thing considering that the site considers you active some minutes after your most recent click.

Further Edit: We could submit the post to the awesome posts forum to find out what the humor-inista think about it?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hi, I'm new,
    It's a Tarsier monkey.
    bye.

I read this as "I'm a Tarsier monkey." and I thought this was the newest wave of weird spam bots

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's it. I think that man may be done and gone forever, and I will remember him fondly.

On an on-topic note, I have never seen anything other than 5 people viewing Awesome Posts. Bug, or mod conspiracy? You decide!

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's it. I think that man may be done and gone forever, and I will remember him fondly.

On an on-topic note, I have never seen anything other than 5 people viewing Awesome Posts. Bug, or mod conspiracy? You decide!

You forgot the third possibility, that the awesome posts forum is dumb and nobody finds in very interesting.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    I'm curious as to by what possible interpretation you could have come to the belief that the quality of another subforum is a suitable topic for discussion in this thread

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    SE++ has shown as 208 viewing for as long as I can remember.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hi, I'm new,
    It's a Tarsier monkey.
    bye.

I don't want to get further off topic, but this is conceivably the best first post I've ever seen.

And yea, this happened so long ago I forgot that they actually did it. It's really not a big deal.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This seems tangetally related. The "last post in" column on the main page lags behind by several hours, but every other subforum's is up to the last minute.

YamiNoSenshi on