Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just helped set up and run an Apocalypse event over the weekend at my LGS.

Went in the night before, fudged a few of the rules and set up the board beforehand, setting up objectives and giving them rather sizeable battlefield effects (IE: A chapel objective that gives the controlling side a 6+ cover save, a teleporter, etc.).

Then just had everyone come in with 1500pts of whatever they wanted and teamed up.

It was 5v5, one dude brought in a Heirophant, and two baneblades pretty much duelled the entire game.

The people involved said that it was probably the most fun they had with 40k in a long while.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just helped set up and run an Apocalypse event over the weekend at my LGS.

Went in the night before, fudged a few of the rules and set up the board beforehand, setting up objectives and giving them rather sizeable battlefield effects (IE: A chapel objective that gives the controlling side a 6+ cover save, a teleporter, etc.).

Then just had everyone come in with 1500pts of whatever they wanted and teamed up.

It was 5v5, one dude brought in a Heirophant, and two baneblades pretty much duelled the entire game.

The people involved said that it was probably the most fun they had with 40k in a long while.

Hell yeah man, I had the opportunity to run an Apoc game not too long ago myself. Everyone had a blast and having a mediator there helps keep things on track. I'm glad your players had such a good time.

SJ on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The last time I actually had a really great game of 40k was with the clubs apcoalypse game at the end of last year. It was mad fun.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever lost to necrons...

Once I played my Wych Cult army against a Necron guy with a monolith and Nightbringer in a 1000pt list.

I flew over everything first turn with my raiders, sacrificed a unit to tie up nightbringer and killed the necessary 18 guys by turn 3. :D

The nightbringer in a 1000 point battle? Bleh. There aren't any targets worth enough for him. He's more of a 2000 point game unit, where he can step in and beat the snot out of tanks, you can afford to take a second HQ (Necron Lord rocks too much face to replace that easily), and it's not as huge of a tragedy if he gets bogged up. Monolith... I don't think that's a great choice there, either. In that pointage, I'd mostly focus on grabbing as many Necrons as possible, with a fair amount of support from destroyers of both types.

And to the guy who's considering going in with Necrons - DO IT! Strangely enough, thanks to the blatant EVIL (Yes, that evil) of the Necrons, they somehow feel a lot less sinister to me than other races. At least we're honest. None of this 'greater good' crap. And your basic unit is a space marine with benefits. That's just awesome.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    An I2 space marine, which has some really nasty consequences with power weapon armed enemies in combat.

Necron just aren't that good unless you take an all destroyer/heavy destroyer type list.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    True. Necrons do die hard in close combat, particularly to power weapons (though that can be circumvented), but you should be avoiding that with necrons anyways.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    An I2 space marine, which has some really nasty consequences with power weapon armed enemies in combat.

Necron just aren't that good unless you take an all destroyer/heavy destroyer type list.

Yes and no. You're forgetting that, whilst still an I2 SM with bad consequences for powerweapon wielders, they get FNP, effectively.

THEY. GET. FNP.

and a poor man's rending.

So, if you're looking at it stats wise, they're not too far off plague marines- subtract 1 Initiative (Yes, plaguers are I3) and the Blight grenades, but add in long range rending and take away some of the points cost.

I'd buy THAT for a dollar.

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I only saw History Channel's Sharpe's series but that was pretty good. I'm not looking for especially light 40k books, I figure pretty much anything is going to be lighter than the other stuff I'm reading. Mainly I'd like to avoid the bad "gaming" fiction that I'm positive exists somewhere under the 40k banner.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gah, I can't let this pass. The Sharpe series was done for British television, not the History Channel. And I know the history channel. I'm on it for god's sake.:winky:

Also I own a reproduction of Sharpe's sword and have a Sharpe action figure...

Anyway here's what I should be getting for my birthday mid April.

Mek, 2 boxes of Lootas and Burnas, 2 Ork Battleforces.

Waaagh?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Waaagh!
    You're on TV tim?
    'twas my birthday on sunday, and 40k-wise i received a big mek with shokk attack gun (i'd been using my old RT era one till then. My brother said "this is to replace your old one, not so you can field two") and a box of harlequins.
    Man the harlies are nice minis! Two pieces, legs and body, i'd been expecting single piece sculpts!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I bought a Necron Lord over the weekend just to switch it up and give me a break from my World Eaters assembly/painting. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the model. There just isn't much detail at all. For foot sloggers I can understand, but I guess I was hoping the lord would have something more than just a cape and a staff.

(Yes I could see the figure on the box when I bought it, I just wasn't really paying all that much attention.)

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah. I'm hoping the Necrons will get redone with awesome runes and writing all over everything.

SJ on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Gah, I can't let this pass. The Sharpe series was done for British television, not the History Channel. And I know the history channel. I'm on it for god's sake.:winky:

ermey.jpg

?

In other news, I've gotten my first box of shoota boyz assembled and primed.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GoofTroop wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    GoofTroop wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been reading a lot about 40k lately and all of a sudden, one of my friends purchased that one kit with the Space Marines/Tyranids in it. Battle of Maccabre or something? Anyway, that got me into thinking about actually playing the game.

I was thinking about Necrons, personally. They seem to be a powerful army, or at least that's how they're described. My only concern is the lack of units. Maybe I'm just being naive here, but would the fact that Necroids have a smaller choice of units make them easier to stratigize against? I look at the Chaos and Space Marines and I'm in awe at number of combinations possible. Does the Necrons' abilities overweigh the lack of units?

Thanks guys.

There are maybe 2 strategies that actually "work" as Necrons. They are powerful, and can be kinda competitive, but if somebody knows what they are doing, you are straight up fucked. Personally, I really like Necrons, and they're actually one of the cheaper armies monetarily speaking. They are also fantastic as a learning army.

Well, apparently that's become a problem. I talked to my 40k friends about playing Necron and they all kinda looked at each other and grimaced. One goes, "I'll play with you, but I doubt anyone else here would want to." And they go on to explain to me how the Necrons are crazy-good. I told them that they were probably just overreacting, but they assured me that I would become a power-hungry lunatic, consumed by the nether from wence the Necrons came. That, and that I would sooner be consuming their minis than actual food.

Either I have weird friends, or I am going to have to enjoy the taste of plastic and paint. I hope none of them have metal models. That might hurt.

Your friends sound like they're well acquainted with the internet whinging about Necrons, but have never actually played against them. Necrons have a couple very large weaknesses. The Necrons only have one 2 AP weapon (and a special rule for one of the Monolith weapons that can only ever affect a single model) and three AP 3 guns, which means that they have to rely on volume of fire to defeat low armor saves units. The problem is that the Monolith, two special characters, and We'll Be Back are subjected to a whole lot of repeated internet misunderstanding, and so the myth of Necron cheesiness is perpetuated.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sorry to change the topic here. As some of you know I've been building my first Chaos marines. I got a 10 generic marine box and I'm busy assembling them. But I notice all these extra bits that don't seem to have an obvious spot. Like knives, chains with skulls on the end of them, etc. The box art doesn't display any of that, could I just put them wherever I please?

What do most people usually do with them?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    All accessories must go in the model's two or three designated accessory locations; they must go there or the model counts as unarmed and automatically defeated in close combat (page 01 of the 4th Edition rulebook; the Chaos Marine in the lower right is unarmed).

Naw man, put them wherever you think looks good. :wink:

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    All accessories must go in the model's two or three designated accessory locations; they must go there or the model counts as unarmed and automatically defeated in close combat (page 01 of the 4th Edition rulebook; the Chaos Marine in the lower right is unarmed).

Naw man, put them wherever you think looks good. :wink:

lol point well taken.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone know if the Horus Heresy novels are any good?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sorry to change the topic here. As some of you know I've been building my first Chaos marines. I got a 10 generic marine box and I'm busy assembling them. But I notice all these extra bits that don't seem to have an obvious spot. Like knives, chains with skulls on the end of them, etc. The box art doesn't display any of that, could I just put them wherever I please?

What do most people usually do with them?

Marines of all types look better with as many accessories crammed on to them as possible, it gives them that commando look, or in Chaos' case, that "I've been pillaging the galaxy for 10,000 years look"

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

As I say above, the first novel is a superbly written, heartbreakingly poignant novel and I thoroughly recommend it. I haven't read further as yet, though they're all on my bookshelf.

You know you can download samples from the Black Library website?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

/whine
    Would you like to see the mythical, God-like actions of the Primarchs and the original Marine Legions put into mundane, mini-novel form? If so, these books are for you :P

SJ on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm reading Legion right now and for some reason it's kind of painful. Not really the subject, but the writing style. I've never had this problem with any other Abnett books.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Well that's part of my concern, seeing as it's a continuous series written by several different authors. I'd hate to love the first two books then have the rest suck.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm reading Legion right now and for some reason it's kind of painful. Not really the subject, but the writing style. I've never had this problem with any other Abnett books.
    The problem with Legion is that the narrator (Grammaticus) is outside the organisation he's supposed to be illustrating. In all the other books (and in most of Abnett's work), the narrator has been "one of the guys" and/or "in on the view" - Grammaticus is on the outside looking in and worse, he's looking in on the most secretive organisation in the nascent Imperium.

But don't worry, it really picks up once [censored by the Emperor's most holy Inquisition] happens and [avert thine eyes citizen] winds up [an empty mind is a pure mind] and they all go off to see the [classified by order of the High Master of Navigators] of Oz.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've enjoyed all the Horus Heresy Books so far, except for Descent of Angels, which I didn't purchase. For what it's worth, I really liked seeing the Primarchs in a more human light, and also to see the specific downfall of each Legion was really cool.

In particular, I found the way that the Emperor's Children get addicted to sound and excess to be really cool. It was a far cry from just, "One day Fulgrim woke up and decided he liked really loud noises." It just made the current form of the chapters make more sense to me.

Also, Horus' downfall is almost hard to read about. Dramatic Irony and foreshadowing aside, it's easy on the second read through to see how gradual and insidious his corruption and delusion is.

And, for the record, I hate the Word Bearers. Erebus can go suck a dick.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    The problem with Legion is that the narrator (Grammaticus) is outside the organisation he's supposed to be illustrating. In all the other books (and in most of Abnett's work), the narrator has been "one of the guys" and/or "in on the view" - Grammaticus is on the outside looking in and worse, he's looking in on the most secretive organisation in the nascent Imperium.

But don't worry, it really picks up once [censored by the Emperor's most holy Inquisition] happens and [avert thine eyes citizen] winds up [an empty mind is a pure mind] and they all go off to see the [classified by order of the High Master of Navigators] of Oz.

But, but, It's a third person narrative. There is no character narrator, just a omnipotent narrator The story follows diffrent characters fairly evenly with John being only one of a few others.

I really think it's just beacuse there are almot no terms in it that are standard 40k terms. All the rank names, unit names, ship, and equipment names are diffrent than anything else I've encountered in 40k. Plus the book talks about stuff like I'm supposed to already know about it. Like the Unification War. Abnett is making some of it up for the first time, yet tells about it like it's common knowledge. To me the stuff is just words on a page with no meaning. He needs to include a fucking dictionary in the back just to explain what the hell half the words are.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Wait, you don't know about the unification wars?
    Also, there is a Dramatis Personae in the front, like in all the HH books...

And whilst the narrator is largely disembodied, it is also invested entirely in Grammaticus' story of how he got "in" with the Alpha Legion.
    Perhaps I should have said "main character" instead? But that doesn't really fit either.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually started reading Horus Rising last night, had it sitting on my shelf for a while now. So far I enjoy it but the whole bit at the start with
    Horus killing the "Emperor"
    just got me a bit confused. But then I imagine that's the point.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought it was wierd that Lucius was lambasted for swinging an alien leg as a weapon when he was disarmed in one book, because he was using 'foul xenos' pieces, but in the next book Fulgrim looks at Magical Xenos Literary MacGuffin Sword #2312 and just picks it up like it's no big deal. Did I miss something?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Two things actually: Lucius' commander is an anal-retentive jobsworth lickspittle, and Fulgrim is a Primarch; who's going to stop him?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Who holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck! The Pimarch of the Alpha Legion is,

Don't read unless you've read Legion or don't care.
    Luke's Father.. uh I mean two people? Holy shit that's a pretty big revelation. So there were actualy 21 primarchs now?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Legion Spoiler, read at your peril:
    No, still just twenty, only one of them has two bodies. Gestalts are fun...
    Though it is possible that one of the "missing" two is Omegon due to a clerical error.
    Also, this isn't exactly new news, being at least rumoured for the last fifteen years.*

*by one guy in my local store to be sure but still, he was right...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Legion Spoiler, read at your peril:
    No, still just twenty, only one of them has two bodies. Gestalts are fun...
    Though it is possible that one of the "missing" two is Omegon due to a clerical error.
    Also, this isn't exactly new news, being at least rumoured for the last fifteen years.*

*by one guy in my local store to be sure but still, he was right...

See this is where I call fault. Abnett never says this at all just that,
    one character calls them twins nothing more. So are the alpha legion even chaos now?

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    I found most of the Horus Heresy series that I've read so far to be quite good. The only one I really didn't like was Flight of the Eisenstein, as there's hardly any new ground covered in it. That wouldn't be such a bad thing, were it written more like Fulgrim was, but the stuff it adds before the point that the previous one left off didn't contribute anything, as far as I can tell.

Descent of Angels is good, though by no definition does it really belong in the Horus Heresy series. It has nothing to do with any of the other books whatsoever. However, there is one important thing that it shows: Lion El'Johnson is a really great guy.
    And, for the record, I hate the Word Bearers. Erebus can go suck a dick.

This.

Also, does it seem to everyone else that it was mostly only the cool primarchs that died? It's like the traitor primarchs decided that they'd never manage to match that level of awesome, so they killed them instead.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Not really. After all, Russ didn't get killed and he's the coolest Primarch of them all.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Russ isn't proven to be dead. The only thing is, his armor turned up in the Eye of Terror, sans Russ. Not exactly a good sign.

But think about it.

Sanguinius: Dead
    Rogal Dorn: Exceedingly Dead
    Ferrus Manus: Dead
    Lion El'Johnson: Alive, but good luck getting to him.
    Russ: Missing, Presumably Dead.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    man sanguinius is not a cool primarch.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Russ isn't proven to be dead. The only thing is, his armor turned up in the Eye of Terror, sans Russ. Not exactly a good sign.

But think about it.

Roboute Guilliman: Best Primarch ever, and totally alive just you wait.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »

But think about it.

Roboute Guilliman: Best Primarch ever, and totally alive just you wait.

I like the Ultramarines as much as anyone, but that dude ain't coming back.

Also, how many of you Dark Angel folk ascribe that Cypher is really:

1. Lion El'Jonson
    2. Luthor

?

And Leman Russ sucks. But I loathe Space Wolves, and their fanbois with an undying passion.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually like most of the traitor primarchs more.

Magnus+Alpharius 4tw.

Russ was just an arrogant prick.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Magnus, at least to me seems to be the only one with a legitimate case against the Emperor.

Punished for bringing warning of the Heresy to the Emperor, merely because of the delivery method? That's harsh.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
This discussion has been closed.