As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Friends with Awful Tastes

• Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wait apparently theatre is used to mean both "drama" all over the world and "theater" but only in England

god dammit that would be like if "colour" meant "a spineless amphibian"
    Yeah, Drama class over here is basically Theatre class.

Or as I like to call it, "Bunch of fags that quote Monty Python for 50 minutes a day".

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Our Drama team is putting together 'Little Petshop of Horrors'.

I wont go.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Spider was Hunter S. Thompson in the not too distant future.

spider was not a zombie

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I've only read the first trade of Transmet. I really have to read the rest.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Spider was Hunter S. Thompson in the not too distant future.

spider was not a zombie

THOMPSON LIVES.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is Little Petshop of Horrors the same as just Little Shop of Horrors or similar in any way?

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Our Drama team is putting together 'Little Petshop of Horrors'.

I wont go.

the best play we ever did in high school was A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, but that was because it was the only play we actually had any kind of production values for.

like we spent real money hiring professionals to help us out. every other play was like 'okay, Grade six art class, today we're painting scenery!' and then costumes were 'let's go to the local Salvation Army and buy hobo clothes!'

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is Little Petshop of Horrors the same as just Little Shop of Horrors or similar in any way?

My bad. Those drunken looking 'petshop' toys my sister adores are all over the house. I stepped on one and I was filled with more rage than is usual for me.

I hate those drunken animals so passionately.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Little Shop of Horrors is such a good play.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No worries I just thought it was a different thing.

My School did that in 2004 or something. And the fat kid who couldn't sing got the role of the plant, and just tried to sing so hard, but couldn't and man it was horrible.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    They market their plays so badly though, and I can't reward that.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I haven't thought about it in a while, but my parents must have been fucking worried as shit because I was in speech therapy for maybe seven-eight serious issues

like no "r"s, no "l"s, no "sh"s, none of that

given that their only other child is autistic they must have been incredibly stressed

I know I would have been

also jesus Khavall, that is exactly how I tell if I'm drunk or not

it's like the gates that keep the socially unacceptable pedantic language inside break when I get a few drinks in me

Woah crazy.

I think mine's from a different source though. I did read a lot, but most of my speech being flowery comes from being a classically trained vocalist, and thus having crazy-ass diction when speaking, so once I don't force myself to be normal BAM I'm blasting out words like there's some sort of syllable minimum.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    No worries I just thought it was a different thing.

My School did that in 2004 or something. And the fat kid who couldn't sing got the role of the plant, and just tried to sing so hard, but couldn't and man it was horrible.

Wait, if there's a chance it will be unintentionally funny I will go.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    i never had speech therapy but i somehow ended up with received pronunciation despite most of my friends being all fenny and common

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    I haven't thought about it in a while, but my parents must have been fucking worried as shit because I was in speech therapy for maybe seven-eight serious issues

like no "r"s, no "l"s, no "sh"s, none of that

given that their only other child is autistic they must have been incredibly stressed

I know I would have been

also jesus Khavall, that is exactly how I tell if I'm drunk or not

it's like the gates that keep the socially unacceptable pedantic language inside break when I get a few drinks in me

Woah crazy.

I think mine's from a different source though. I did read a lot, but most of my speech being flowery comes from being a classically trained vocalist, and thus having crazy-ass diction when speaking, so once I don't force myself to be normal BAM I'm blasting out words like there's some sort of syllable minimum.

I just tend to avoid larger words because they make me sound like an insufferable prick whenever I do use them. Having said that, I'm quite willing to use my vocabulary as a bludgeon if someone doesn't want to see sense.

(it also helps that I really am an insufferable prick)

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My high school did Little Shop and I fell in love with it. My school had a really great drama department though, most of the plays they performed were stellar. Although there was always not enough guys, and you'd get some gender bending casting or character changes. I still think of Audrey II as a lady.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also on the subject of plays/musicals

I'm MDing for PSUs production of bare. Last semester I played for Blood Brothers(GOD AWFUL SHOW) and Assassins(GORGEOUS SHOW)
    Over the summer I played for Damn Yankees
    Last year I wrote the score to "Reelpolitik" which is currently still in negotiations to get it up in New York

I'm pretty into that stuff. Unfortunately this means I have many friends who like Spring Awakening and don't understand that all Jason Robert Brown is is a brilliant musician who can't help throwing that all away to masturbate onto a piano.

For bare? I cut two guys. I had enough men audition who I felt comfortable having in a cast under my musical direction that I could cut two, including one guy who we cut because he'll get a lead in another show and would only get chorus in ours. We also cut two girls for the same reason.

Actually I think we cut 2 or 3 more from the initial auditions now that I think back.

Anyways the point is I had an overflow of men auditiong for a show. That never happens.

Also I love my director. She is incredible in every way. She decided that it would be a good idea to have a cast party(note, not the, so there will be more than one) three weeks before rehearsals start.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah that is pretty goddamn rare in my theatrical experience.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    come to think of it my vocabulary coincides pretty well with my speaking voice

I may have a pretty up-and-down talking voice, but when it comes to recitation or anything I can engage my diaphragm and keep my voice to a pretty good pitch

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sometimes I spell my words in the English manner (color = colour, theater = theatre, etcetera). My teachers dock my points off and I want to slap them silly.

To be fair, I would too.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Sometimes I spell my words in the English manner (color = colour, theater = theatre, etcetera). My teachers dock my points off and I want to slap them silly.

To be fair, I would too.

bloody colonials.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm trying something different with my steak.

It involves soy sauce and garlic salt.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

To be fair, I would too.

bloody colonials.

in the uk you'd be docked marks for spelling words the american way so i don't see why it shouldn't go both ways

bongi on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know this is late, but the graphic version of V for Vendetta was way deeper and more subtle than the movie. I also liked how it was entirely in black and white up until the dude took a bunch of acid, wherein it switched to really vibrant color, and then when the trip was over it was back to greyscale.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Theatre is awesome. I did it in middle and high school, and my high school had an amazing drama department. We did not have a class for it or anything, it was entirely extra-curricular, but the stage and shop were just fantastic. My school had a lot of talent too. I was not so great with the singing though. I am a guy and I was cast in the ensemble for Seussical, while no less than 3 male parts went to females. Awesome. I just did sound director for Bye Bye Birdie.

I am not going on to do anything in theatre, (I wish I could, but I am not majoring in it, and the only way you can get into drama at IU is if you are majoring), but I have some friends going to NYU, Ithica, and BU with theatre as either a major or minor.

My reading did not really catch on until later elementary and middle school. I started reading more in high school. When I was really young I watched a lot of tv and that actually contributed to my vocabulary quite nicely. I never really get out of hand with it though, which makes it even more annoying when somebody gets on my case for using "big words" in conversation.

And tMuse, about the English way of spelling things during class. Well, you are in America, we speak American English. American English and British English are two very different things. Which one do you think you should use? I am not even saying one is better than the other, I am just acknowledging that the two are quite different and you should really accept that and learn the differences.

Edit: Oh I forgot another reason I was going to post here. I would not count them as my friends at all, but I am going to go ahead and say; the G&T forum. They just had a "Games you regret buying thread." I am just going to go ahead and list some of the games these people have said they hate.
    1)Starcraft
    2)Morrowind
    3)Resident Evil 4
    4)Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
    5)Viewtiful Joe
    6)Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows
    7)Beyond Good and Evil
    8)Final Fantasy VI
    9) Half Life
    10) Beautiful Katamari
    11)Twilight Princess

Dear God what is wrong with these people. I can understand people having differing opinions, but most of those games are widely heralded as fantastic examples of the medium of gaming in general. Some of these people are saying those games suck.

And by the way, the first 5 alone were from one person, although the entire thread is having an RE4 shitfest.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I went to a high school where you could select a "major", since it was inclined towards the arts. I was literary arts, which meant most of my courses focussed on creative writing, but there was a massive bastion of theatre kids.

And you know what? I can't think of any group more fucking annoying then fifty suburban highschoolers specializing in Musical Theatre. Fucking random songs and high-pitched chitter chatter and ugh.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    I'm trying something different with my steak.

It involves soy sauce and garlic salt.

You know what is delicious on steak? Blood. Juicy, pink steak needs no dressing.

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    In all honestly, meat loses flavor when cooked well done. Medium or medium rare are where it's at.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Fuck you, do I look like a mosquito

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Artreus wrote: »
    Edit: Oh I forgot another reason I was going to post here. I would not count them as my friends at all, but I am going to go ahead and say; the G&T forum. They just had a "Games you regret buying thread." I am just going to go ahead and list some of the games these people have said they hate.
    1)Starcraft
    2)Morrowind
    3)Resident Evil 4
    4)Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
    5)Viewtiful Joe
    6)Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows
    7)Beyond Good and Evil
    8)Final Fantasy VI
    9) Half Life
    10) Beautiful Katamari
    11)Twilight Princess

Dear God what is wrong with these people. I can understand people having differing opinions, but most of those games are widely heralded as fantastic examples of the medium of gaming in general. Some of these people are saying those games suck.

And by the way, the first 5 alone were from one person, although the entire thread is having an RE4 shitfest.

look you are talking about G&T.

this is the same forum that is convinced that the PS3 will never do well and it is a terrible machine. it is a forum populated almost entirely by xbox fanboys. except for the ps3 fanboys who occasionally flit in and out.

rarely there is an interesting thread. it usually gets derailed within about 3 or 4 pages by sheer dumbassery.

you are better off here.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ugh, my dad was a vocal teacher for a number of years (as well as being a regular musician and a college lecturer for years) and there is nothing, NOTHING, more annoying than goddamn people who can't sing in my house being taught to sing. Luckily my dad can be an ass and usually told them how crap they were and sent them packing pretty sharpish

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sounds like he was a pretty awful teacher

YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY ACQUIRED THE SKILLS YOU ARE PAYING ME TO TEACH YOU? BEGONE

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some people just have shitty voices.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I can sing like Roy Orbison.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »

Seriously, he is a really remarkably skilled man, so he didn't need to teach people with no potential. He is an ass because of a number of things but damn if he doesn't know what is what when it comes to who can learn to sing and who can't. If he thought he could teach people he would but if he didn't then he didn't need to waste everyone's time

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Quirk wrote: »

Seriously, he is a really remarkably skilled man, so he didn't need to teach people with no potential. He is an ass because of a number of things but damn if he doesn't know what is what when it comes to who can learn to sing and who can't. If he thought he could teach people he would but if he didn't then he didn't need to waste everyone's time

Yeah, thats valid

I was just yankin' yer chain

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    on the subject of friends with awful taste.

one of the guys i used to work with hated arrested development. i eventually discovered it was because he didn't get it. sad really.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My girlfriend hates Arrested Development because she thinks it's "stupid" and "doesn't make any sense".

This is her greatest failing.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My girlfriend hates Arrested Development because she thinks it's "stupid" and "doesn't make any sense".

This seems to be the biggest criticism of people who dislike the show.

They don't realize that about half of the jokes in any given episode are just iterations of running jokes, which makes watching it from the start all the more important.

If, however, they have watched it from the start and still don't like it, then I have no explanation.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    vsove wrote: »

This seems to be the biggest criticism of people who dislike the show.

They don't realize that about half of the jokes in any given episode are just iterations of running jokes, which makes watching it from the start all the more important.

If, however, they have watched it from the start and still don't like it, then I have no explanation.

Yeah. Shit, even watching a random episode with no context can be great, because they took time to insert plenty of clever non-running gags that were usually all about verbal context and being subtle yet oh so dirty.

Shit, is AD still $55 on Amazon? 'Cus now I want it.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg